“Chav-tastic!”

Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
UK
“Chav-tastic!”
Reviewed 21 September 2009

We had 2 weeks at this hotel and it was very much like a curate's egg! When we first arrived we realised that we had packed completely inappropriately; neither of us had tattoos nor nylon football shirts. Smart evening attire for some meant putting on a clean shirt. Once the shock was over and we'd been 'entertained' by the first night's Butlin-esque show, we realised what we could do to be 'Far from the Chavving Crowd'. Firstly, spend your day by the beach. There was a lovely breeze which increased during the day. The pool area was stifflingly hot without a breeze and there was a danger of the nylon melting! In the evening, we spent time at the quiet bar, which was just that and nowhere near Butlins. In the meantime, the food was fine and plentiful. The maids, contarary to some posts, are quite friendly, as are the waiting staff. I completely agree about the excursions; book them on the beach and pay a fraction of the cost for exactly the same trip. The rooms are very tired and in need a major refurbishment, but clean nonetheless.
I guess that I should have thought about this trip a little more when booking; it was height of the season and the pound/euro exchange rate meant that Benidorm is expensive this year. Am I a snob? I guess so, but that's fine by me!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank adamthenav

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,108)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Caterham
Reviewed 20 September 2009

The Gran Ventana is a fantastic hotel, great food and nice people. The hotel was clean and the rooms were nice. We went diving with Sea Pro divers, the rep sits by the pool. It is worth haggling on the prices as they came down for us by a third of the original.
They say don't use the beach sellers for trips, we used a local for a horse trip which was a quarter of the price and does the same tour. Just pay a small deposit!
Pretty good entertainment and the usual karaoke on a Monday night. Some really good dancers especially the Michael Jackson evening, well worth seeing. They have three a la carte restaurants all of which have great food and you can visit each once a week when you book. If you are looking for a place in the Dominican look no further, we will visit this hotel again SOON!!

4 Thank DaveTurner
England
Reviewed 19 September 2009

We had an amazing time at the Gran Ventana! The people are increadibly friendly, staff are so helpfull and always there. Reception staff are very reliable and again extremely helpful!! Our room had to huge double beds, a lovely view of the hotel, balcony, tv, fridge and lvely bathroom, we were very happy with it.
The food always had something different, the waiting staff are very polite and constantly filling your glass, a few reveiews complain abut the fod which i cannot understand, in a foreign cuntry you are not going to get the luxureys of 'home' but that is wherever you go, you are on holiday, try different things dont be such a prude!
The main pool is gorgeous with swim up bar and again fantastic staff!! The pool was closed for four days for maintenance, the holes in the pool were covered and filled which at some point had to be done, it was just unfortunate it was at the time people could complain and write about on here, everyone had the oppourtunity to use the sister hotel The Victoria which included the food and drink which was fair to everyone. As it was the Gran Ventana's quietest period who balmes them for carrying on with the work they need to do, its totaly understandable.
The entertainment during the day was good, you are always offered the chance to join in with games and fun, people tend to not want to include themselves in things and then moan about the place! You are the people that make the holiday what it is so try everything, there is plenty to do!
The evening entertainment i thought was great, they make of it what they can and they do a great job, over here you get too much of the same thing all the time, they had entertainment for the children, which they are great with, and we really enjoyed ourselves.
The sister hotel The Victoria was slightly more modern but definately not as friendly as the Gran Ventana staff plus this is a much quieter hotel, gran ventana is lively and very much recomended.
We have booked to return to the Gran Ventana for our honeymoon next year, dont believe the bad reviews you read on here! Trust me it is more than worth it!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brist
Jazz1e
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Check in was the same as any country, you have to wait your turn, drinks were served while we waited which was excellent. Our room was in the Catalina block and I can honestly say it fit all our requirements. Yes it is a little dated but it was immaculately clean and to be honest who spends much time in their room when you have so much to do outside??? I have been to the Dominican before so I packed coat hangers, no matter where you stay you never get enough.
Food was great, their is something for everybody. I didn't do the a la carte as my family and I were happy with the what we were served in the restaurant the choice is amazing and they do a special dish every night.
Please if you want to do any trips go and see Caesar, he sat just as you go on the beach, he is really nice and very helpful and he is so much cheaper than the reps, tell
him no thankyou sent you lol.
I did ocean world and the outback safari, ocean world is a must, it was my second time there and I enjoyed it as much as the first. The boogie boarding on the outback safari is awesome, after a few times falling off the board I became a master (or so i thought).
Animation team work really hard, day and night. Kids disco starts at about 8.00 and last till 09.00 - 9.30 depending what they have got planned for the rest of the evenings entertainment. We were their every night because our kids were 10 and 8, and the majority of the nights performances were really good, be prepared to get up and dance because the guys in the animation team will try and get you up no matter what your age, which to be honest is quite fun.
Beach is excellent and has a great breeze and keeps you cool, I managed to get a sun bed every day and didn't get up while 8.30. To be honest I didn't have a problem at the pool either. Yes you do get bothered by the lookie men when on the beach but when you say no thank you they leave you alone. We went snorkelling every day, go in the morning when the tide is out, its amazing and I highly recommend it.
Overall I really enjoyed my stay here, staff are friendly, the place itself is kept immaculate, you have a security guard on each block and nothing is ever too much trouble.
We are very lucky to enjoy such facilities because these people on this island had very little possessions if any at all, they work long hours just to feed themselves yet always have a smile on their face. Makes you realise just how lucky we are. Makes our credit crunch look like a millionaires ball.
Would i go back you bet, see you next year mini me and ra, ta, tat

5 Thank Jazz1e
York
Reviewed 16 September 2009

Arrived after a trouble free flight. Airport busy but we quickly got our luggage and out onto the coach and thankfully only a 15 min journey to the hotel as we were all tired and a little bit hungry.
The reception area at the hotel was very busy as another group of people has just arrived before us. A welcome drink would have been great but it didnt arrive.
Unfortunately we must have got the slowest person on reception to deal with us and it seemed to take an age to get our keys and our wrist bands. When they did arrive we were placed in the beata block.
I had specifically asked not to be in this particular block because of other tripadvisor reviews we had read. I had emailed and they did reply to say they would do there best to comply with my request but we were still put in there.
Our worries were justified as the rooms in the beata block needed a total update. They were horrible and ours was so noisy during the night as ours backed onto where the bars across the road are.
However, when I went to reception they were brilliant. We needed two rooms as my mum was travelling along with me, my husband and our 15 year old daughter and 10 year old son.
We were given two rooms, close to each other in the Saona block. Our room had a sea view and they were in a much quieter location and they had been updated. Great.
Onto the rest of the hotel and holiday info.
Staff were brilliant, really friendly. They were constantly cleaning. The ladies who cleaned the rooms did a great job. The garden areas were lovely with really bright flowers etc. Beach area was great. Raked every morning. We arent really pool people, but we did go in afew times and it was fine but really busy. They appeared to clean that every morning as well.
Food was great. The a la carte's were probably some of the best we have been in on holiday and we have visited quite a few countries now.
Entertainment was OK. The team work really hard.
Weather was brill. In general it was sunny and hot but we had a thunder storm one afternoon when we were out on the mega trucks trip which by the way was brilliant and the rain just made it even more of a laugh plus of course the beer and rum.
One odd thing though was when we arrived back at the hotel, even though there was fork lightening there was still people in the pool. Must have had a death wish.
We also went on the buggy trip which was brilliant. The kids loved it. Loads of mud and water.
The surrounding area has a shopping area which also has a few bars and close by is the Coco Bongo night club. If you like sport the bars show premiership football games and other sports.
I would recommend this hotel and the country is a lovely place to visit.
You will have a great time when you visit this hotel.

6 Thank PASTL
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Just returned from 2 weeks at The Gran Ventana we stayed from 29th Aug - 12th Sept, my partner, myself and our 17 month old son. Having previously stayed as a couple in 2006.

The service was fantastic for the entire holiday from check in to leaving. The staff in the restaurants can't do enough for you and they all treated our son like royaltiy. The maids do a fantastic job and room was always cleaned to a high standard, and the mini bar was always well stocked. Abi the Thomas Cook rep was also fantastic as were the flights both ways.

We had room 2135 in the Catalina block and this room was alot bigger than the others even with a cot and king size bed there was plenty room. The room also has he most fantastic view straight onto the beach, we spent many a time sat on the balcony while the baby slept and couldn't ask for any more. The rooms have been updated since our last visit and were really nice.

The food choices were plenty and there was always something for everybody.

I would highly reccomend this hotel to both families and couples.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank lisalord77
Birmingham
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Myself my husband and 2 friends with there 2 year old returned to Granventana after we got married there last year, we emailed the hotel before we left to request the same room - which we were very pleased to get even though it was a junior suite! We booked through first Choice who were exceptional once again! The hotel was spotless and some of the staff even recognised us from last year. We decided to book the ocean world again and did the dolphin encounter, my husband did the shark one and my friend did the sea lion encounter. They now have a large aqua glide slide and trampoline in the private beach water this was great fun (once u got onto the slide) As we were celebrating our first anniversary on the 4th sept we decided to go on the VIP paradise island trip, again the was fantastic day! the only thing which put abit of a dampner on things was the Jelly fish we all got stung whilst on the banana boat ride and there are thousands of them around the beatuiful paradise island which we were not told about. overall the holiday was fantastic and the weather beautiful! We will definatly be making a third visit in not to distant future :D

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends