Came home from VH Gran Ventana on the 14th September 2009 ~The holiday was 'ok' although we did feel very 'trapped' - when you look at First Choice and Thomson web sites they suggest that it is in a central location but it is not.
There are a few rubbish shops with pushy staff, selling 'junk' or trips and that is it.
These are easy to find ~ just past the taxis offering guided tours etc !
(Not like Playa Del Carmen in Mexico ~ now that is a good location !!!!)
The staff at hotel were all very helpful and attentive, and they were always cleaning.
I would not rate it as 4* it was more like a 3* there is no coffee or tea making facillity in your room you have to get it from the trolley down stairs. It must be due a 'facelift' soon !
Some people complained of 'stuffy' rooms ~ ours was OK ~ clean tidy & in Catalina block (2nd Floor) ~ away from noise but with pool & limited sea views ~ Paradise !!
The buffet food was OK, sometimes really good (the freshly cooked items are best !) ~ the 3 A La Carte Restaurants were 'average' not 'special' ~ the house wine was ..........!
The entertainment in the evening was the worst ever, considering there is nothing else to do in the evening, yet again adding to the feeling of being trapped at the hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to any one other than families with children as it is very 'chav' and hi de hi like.
If you want a bit of class then don't go here as you will be deeply disappointed and bored silly.
We did meet some nice people there, & made our own entertainment & had a laugh !
The main pool was closed for repairs for 3 days (week 2) but the pool area was too hot with no breeze ~ the usual SUNBED BANDITS (SBB's) appeared @ 6:30 am ARMED with towels ~ SHAME ON YOU ALL ~ YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE !!! ~95% BRITISH !! you are giving the Germans a good name on holiday !
At least the beach was clean & cooler !! (SBB's struck there as well) The beach sellers were ok ~ not as bad as we expected ~ but discount the first price by approx 70% ~ then you will be closer to correct prices !!
We did, however, witness a 'miracle' ~ a woman in her 40's wearing glasses travelling from Gatwick (31/8/09) arrived in a wheelchair & went home in a wheelchair with all the fuss that goes with it ( golf carts @ airport, priority check in etc) ~ the 'miracle' was that on day two of her 14 day holiday she was walking about in her 5" high heels, off to the beach, swimming, dancing etc with her lady 'friend' for 13 days !!!! no problems in the buffet either !! walking & carrying plates of food !! ~ the sudden 'relapse' occured on departure from the hotel ~ back into the wheelchair !! (We are convinced that if she has that much difficulty travelling she should be claiming some sort of benefits !!!!!! ~ I wonder ??? She deserves everything that comes her way !! )
Everyone at Gatwick on return were amazed at her 'relapse' ~ shame !!!!
Do we tell the Pope on his visit to UK next year or the Dept of Work & Pensions ~ what a dilema !!!!
Let me entertain you ~ Oggy Oggy Oggy ~ Oi Oi Oi ~ Takes me back to those moonlit nights sitting on plastic chairs by a closed swimming pool watching the entertainment ~ Thank heavens for VODKA !! ( See you all there next year !!!!!!!! Hi De HI )
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic
- VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata