“Very CLean, Stress Free holiday. Excellent Value. NO Problems at all!”

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Ottawa Ontario Canada
“Very CLean, Stress Free holiday. Excellent Value. NO Problems at all!”
Reviewed 24 February 2010

This was our first trip to Puerta Plata, and we were very impressed with everything. We requested an ocean view room which we were given. The staff are amazing. Always working very hard, and always smiling and singing.. They all had excellent attitudes.. ALWAYS. Grounds are perfect, no garbage, pools cleaned everyday, Beech area cleaned at 6am and then throughout the day. Nightly entertainment was amateur, but very well thought out.. A few drinks and i was laughing and enjoying!

Maids were outstanding, always happy, always willing to throw a few extra beers in the mini fridge instead of pop.. nice..

Rooms very clean, marble bathroom, we had awesome pressure and hot water most of the time. Ran out of hot water twice.. was not a problem, within 1 hour hot water was back.

I was told by a few people that the staff make about U.S. 250.00 per month.. most work 6 or 7 days a week at 8 hours a day, considering this, they are amazing people, like I said earlier always laughing smiling and friendly.

We did one A LA CARTE at the Ocen Grill.. Service was great, but I found the food better in the Buffet.. Buffet was very good, always a good selections. Something for everyone, from the healthy eater (My Wife) and the burger/Steak lover like me!

Awesome deserts bar everynight, and different choices everynight. One night they had a chocolate bar, Ive never seen so much of it in one spot!

Drinks were very good overall. Drinks are mostly served in plastic glasses at most bars if you are Roaming the grounds.. They will ask you when you order if you are drinking at the bar or leaving with the drink, if you are staying at the bar they will serve you with a real Glass. If you try to leave with the glass they will kindly pour your drink into a plastic glass.
I found drinks were stronger after 6pm, during the day I was asking for doubles and it worked out great. Ask for the 151 Rum, hah... good stuff!!!!

There was always security visible, more so after dark.

Grounds are very clean and nicely kept...

Beach is ok... Can be rough at times, water is not as clear as cuba or Punta Cana. Water was nice n warm. No lifeguard on Duty, Nudism is not allowed, although we saw one 50+ lady with no top walking on the beach.

Everything the beach vendors sell is available 5 mins down the road for 50% less. They did not really want to haggle to much. After our beach fund was gone a simple no thanks was not always working, and found myself having to adjust my tone in order to get the message through that I was not interested. I found the quiet pool to be the best place for us.

Internet available for 200DR or 6.00US for an hour of time, WiFI Works in some rooms if you are facing the lobby pool area. You can also use one of 4 pc provided by the hotel upstairs from the lobby.

I got the rest I wanted, enough sun to get burned, and it didnt break the bank!
Would have been nice to have rooms service.. This resort with room service would be a 5 star!!

1 Thank ve3xiu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
winnipeg
Reviewed 24 February 2010

We stayed at the Gran Ventana from February 4 - 18, 2010. My husband and I travelled with our two teenage children, ages 16 and 17 and our 2 year old son. This hotel has mixed reviews at some point, but I can honestly say I don't know where negative reviews come from. I will try to be as specific as possible in my reviews as it was the one thing I noticed was missing in some cases.

Rooms - We had two room, our two teenagers stayed on the main floor in the Catalina building, two double beds, patio side facing pool and interior door facing bright courtyard. My husband and I stayed in a main floor room close to daycare in the Saona building, again two double beds facing pool with rooms across the hall. The rooms were basic, the tv's and remotes worked, the beds were not to bad for comfort, of course nothing is ever like home. Plenty of pillows and blankets. The rooms were spotless and smelled clean at all times. We had not one problem with any bugs in our room during our two week trip, something I found exceptional for ground floor rooms in the Caribbean. The water pressure was great and the water was hot at all times. The only drawback was in our room, the tub took a little longer to drain after giving our son a bath. This was minor and not a problem at all. The maids were totally courteous and friendly, a simple knock in the morning to know if you needed your room cleaned at that time or later, if later, did you need any extra towels. We always left a little something for our maids in both room and I think it went a long way, however, it did not appear they expected anything and were very gracious ( not always money, a hairclip, panythose, razors, any little things hard to get there, one day it was a coloring book and pencil crayons as we learned our maid had a child) Our fridge was always stocked with pop, water and beer, and on more then one occassion a beer or two extra was left.

Food - BUFFET and 3 ALA CARTES, ( I will review each separately) I can truly say I cannot understand what anyone would have to complain about. The buffet was expansive, with at least 16 - 20 hot items including pasta, chicken, fish, beef, pork, potatoes, rice, fries, hot vegetables along with grilling stations that varied every day that offered fresh pizza, sauteed shrimp, t-bone steaks, prime rib, roasted turkey, stuffed fish as a few examples. As well, there was 12 - 15 cold stations that offered different types of bread, cheese, vegetables etc. Add to this a large variety of desserts, pies, cakes, ice cream etc. There was also a special station each day that changed, one day cheeses of the world, the next a chocolate display of every imaginable chocolate dessert you could think of. Breakfasts buffets included an omelete station where you put together what you wanted in an omelette as well as a waffle station to design your own waffle. Not to mention a smoothie station where they prepared a smoothie to your liking with whatever fruit, yogurt, or milk that you wanted. Lunch buffets were also varied with cold and hot along of course with the grilling stations that offered fresh hamburgers to die for, grilled chicken and hot dogs. My daughter is extremely picky and never had any problems picking from the buffets.

You had to make ala carte reservations in the front area of the Beata building which is the quiet building right out front the main entrance. I suggest you do this shortly after arrival, it is available from 8 am until 3:30 pm. We booked our ala carte on our second day and had no problem getting into the restaurants over the course of the next week, and then booked again for week 2 a few days later.

The italian restaurant, Sapore di Mare, was very good, located in the Beata building complex, it is a nice change from the scenery in the main building, the ambiance was nice and you got to choose to sit inside or outside. The appetizers were fantastic and the portions of the meals huge. It was nice to have service instead of the buffet and it is worth leaving a couple of dollars as the the service is top notch.

The Caribean restaurant, the Octopus was an elegant setting, the service was even better then the Italian, one served water, one drinks, one took your order and one served, all without missing a beat. The food was good, however, not as varied as the others, a Caribbean flair, with curried chicken which was delicious, a mango chicken, a seafood mix and lamb that was delicious. The food was delicious, however, choices were a little limited for those not wanting to make more daring choices.

The Ocean Grill was beach front a beach grille that during the day served burgers, pizza, sandwiches and grilled chicken, and if you were lucky, chicken wings...which were to die for. Fresh salad, tacos and soup were also available, it was nice to sit somewhere different then the buffet for lunch and overlook the ocean and beach. At night this became the third ala carte, again with a gorgeous evening view and breeze. This was by far our favorite, we visited this one three times during our two week stay, the calamari appetizer was fantastic, the seafood grille and surf and turf were our two favorite choices. My daughter also loved the quesadillas appetizer and the fly and turf. Dinner was complimented by a special coffee concoction which was also flavourful.

All ala carte had a wide variety of desserts that were too good not to try. The chocolate mint cake and lime pie were the best. No matter how full you are, it is worth sharing a piece.

The pool area and grounds were beautiful, plenty of chairs, I understand new beach loungers were placed at the beginning of February, the towels were not thread bare as stated in some reviews, they were plush blue towels. The pool was broken into three circle areas joined by the pool bar. People did reserve chairs early in the morning, some mornings staff would tell you to put towel on table to indicate reserve and not to lay towels on chairs, but most mornings you could place towels on chairs go for breakfast and return. I did not see many people reserving chairs and then not being there all day. There were still no shortage of chairs at any point, with every couple of chairs having an umbrella and small table. The pool and grounds were spotless, starting at about 7:00 am we would watch the staff scrub the deck area, the pool, wipe down chairs and tables, there was no less then 30 staff people doing this and this continued right through the day. The pool was spotless with the exception of one morning when it had rained pretty hard and was quite windy throughout the night, but shortly after the pool maintenance people were in full force cleaning the debris out of the pool. The area around the pool was constantly being cleaned of garbage and glasses.

The Bars, there was a lobby bar, pool bar, main pool area bar, a beach bar and a bar in the quiet pool area. We did not spend any time at the quiet pool, but it looked beautiful with lounge chairs right in the water. We only used the quiet bar area when we went to the Italian restaurant. The pool bar was centrally located in the pool, it was opened from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm, with staff scrubbing all components prior to opening. The service was great, all bartenders were wonderful and really did appreciate an extra $1.00 every now and then, again, not expected at all. The main pool area had comfy lounge chairs and again very friendly staff. This appeared to be one of the busier bars in the complex, yet there was never too much of a wait. It was opened from 10:00 am until midnight. The lobby bar opened at 4:00 and was good for a pre dinner drink and a great location for the entertainment shows. I can't say enough about the bartenders, we did not encounter one during our two weeks that genuinely didn't seem to enjoy their jobs.

Animation staff and entertainment, wow, all I can say is wow, these guys work for about $35.00 per week and go from morning till night with one day off a week. They work during the day entertaining people with morning games such as dart competitions, horse racing games, pool aerobics, and stretching excercises. In the afternoon, there is usually bingo, blackjack lessons, and merengue lessons. At about 8:30 pm, there is a childrens show, this lets children come up on stage participate in dancing, fashion shows, and singing. The kids really seemed to love it, our little guy tried on more then one occasion to get up on stage and loved to imitate what the kids were doing. This was followed by the animation staff starting off with a few dance performances at 9:00 pm followed by about 1/2 hour dancing with random audience people that were willing. At 9:30 a show started that usually ran one hour, we loved them, we thought there would be repetition based on what we had read previously, however, I can honestly say the show changed every day. It varied from a two different dance groups appearing, to a magic show, to a 'Michael Jackson' performance, to some nights requiring audience participation, ie Mr. Gran Ventana, the Perfect Couple, etc, these were fun and interactive and you only got involved if you wanted to. There was also a kareoke night and then on our last night a "Play Back Show" which was incredible. This show focused on the animation staff themselves presenting musical renditions of songs like Dirty Dancing, Freddy Mercury, Shakira, YMCA and several more, it was hilarious and very entertaining. The staff, Donkey, Chocolate, Sexy Face, Eddie and the rest just have a never ending enthusiasm for their jobs and their favorite phrase is " I love my job and I don't hate my boss.....this is evident.

Tours, we went on four, Ocean World, Jungle Safari, Deep sea fishing and Dune buggies. They were all great. Ocean World was a little pricey , we bought the package from the hotel, as my husband and daughter did the swim with the dolphins, but it will be an experience they will never forget. As a word of advise take sandwiches if you can as well as pop, as the buffet there is overpriced and not that great, and drinks are about $3.00 each. The hotel actually has a sandwich cart at night that serves sandwiches, hot dogs, beer and rum after everything else is closed. Had we been smarter, we would have taken a few sandwiches for the next day along with the pop from our fridge. My husband and son went deep sea fishing purchased from the hotel, they did not catch anything, they left from the next hotel over and did not need to get picked up. We then learned something very important, while the hotel will tell your rep will tell you to buy from the hotel as they are the only reputable and licensed/insured vendors, we learned from many people that the tours available outside the resort are cheaper and the same. I cannot attest to this, however, a short walk to the beach will bring you to 'Ceasar' standing right at the entrance/exit to the hotel/beach....this man is wonderful, and his prices are much better then the hotels and offer the same thing. Example, the deep see fishing, my husband paid $80.00 x 2, with Ceasar he offered it for $60.00 x 2 and it was hotel pick up that went to a better location. The dune buggy ride through the hotel rep was $94.00 each and with Ceasar, it was $65.00 each and he gave us anothe $5.00 each off because we were booking jeef safari as well. Jeep safari through hotel, $80.00 each and through Ceasar, $40.00 each with waterfall and $35.00 without. My daughter and I did not want to climb the waterfall tour, especially with our little guy, but my husband and son did. The guys loved the dune buggy ride, they came back filthy but enjoyed every minute. WORD OF ADVISE LOOK FOR CEASAR, HE IS REPUTABLE AND OFFERS VERY GOOD PRICING ON TOURS, I just wish we had learned earlier. The jeep safari is also fun, it takes you through a small town where you see how coffee is made, how wood carvings are made and then to the waterfall. Take a bag of candies or small small items like pencils, notebooks, crayons etc to give to the children along the way, they are very appreciative. (If you don't bring anything, you can purchase a bag of suckers on route, however, it is about $6.00 for 25 suckers)

The beach, we did not spend a lot of time on the beach, there were a lot of loungers on the beach that appeared to get snatched up early in the day, we walked along the beach in both directions and the beach in front of the Gran Ventana was the nicest, with the least rocks etc. There were a few vendors on the beach, but a simple no thank you was sufficient if you were not interested.

Our weather was very good for two weeks, it rained for one day during our first week and then a part day through our second. It did rain a couple of times at night but that was fine with us, it was a nice cool down. The temperature stayed between about 27 and 32 during the day.

Finally, I cannot say enough about the staff, the staff in every aspect were friendly, happy and genuine. The work for very little, yet don't complain. Remember this when you are down there, they don't expect tips and I don't see the service being any different in most aspects, but a dollar or two won't hurt every once in a while, engage in conversation with them and treat them respectfully, this will go a long way. They were very appreciative of every dollar or treat we gave them, again remember, that things like disposable razors, lipsticks, earrings, pantyhose, hair clips and children's things are expensive and hard to come by for them. $1.00 store items here, priceless down there.

If I had to complain about anything, it would not be directly related to the hotel. During our second week, a group of students came from Guelph, Ontario. They seemed to think they owned the resort, they were disrespectful to staff and stayed at the pool bar all afternoon, hmmmm, wonder when they took a bathroom break. They took over animation staff games when they were around and allowed no one else the opportunity. They also stayed up to the wee hours of the morning entertaining themselves which happened to be at the main pool bar area. The good news is after one of these late nights, the pool was quiet till at least 3 the next day while they recovered. There were a few other groups of young adults, they didn't seem to cause the same issues and were much more respectful. This hotel is more geared towards families, couples and older folks, it is on a level surface and offers a little bit to everyone. My teen children were a little homesick by the end of the two weeks, it appears children up to 12 were in abundance and then the next group was in their 20's, however, $3.00 for 1/2 hour of internet/facebook time is all they needed to get back on track.

I would highly recommend this hotel to others, if you do want any question asked, please contact me, I would be more then happy to answer any questions.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
15 Thank winnipegsunbug
London
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I have been to Dominican Republic twice now and both times have stayed in the North of the Island at a place called Puerto Plata. The first time we went we travelled with First Choice and decided that as our holiday was a success the first time we would go with them again a few years later.

We visited Puerto Plata in May 2009 and we stayed in a resort called Gran Ventana. The Hotel was lovely with great accommodation, good food and the staff were wonderful. The rooms are spacious and clean, no they aren't the most up to date but I look at it that I only spend time in the room sleeping so I'm not too bothered. The room had a spacious balcony and a decent size bathroom as well as a TV with quite a few TV channels. The restaurant had a wide variety of food, and seeing as both me and my husband are fussy we didn't have one evening where we didn't like something. They have a lot of fish, meat, local dishes and basic english food for those that don't want to be adventurous. There are two pools on the resort, one which is the main pool with plenty of sunbeds and the netertainment from the staff during the day as well as a pool bar. The other pool is the quiet pool which is just that...quiet! The staff at the resort are first class and provide hours of entertainment (hello to Happy if he is still there). The entertainment leaves quite a bit to be desired but the staff manage to do their bit and we didn't have one bad evening there.

Not only was the resort wonderful so were the Dominican people. This Carribean island is a third world country and it is made all the more real when you leave your resort and travel outside on a trip. The majority of the people are poor and there are many people living in shacks.

We did a number of wonderful trips whilst over there and one of them included a Jeep Safari which shows you some of the island and the way in which the people live. As there was a group of us we decided to use a smaller open backed jeep which held 8 of us I think. The guide will take you to some plantation fields and you get to try the local coffee (brewed in somebodys house). When you are driving through the streets and dirt track it is commonplace for the children to run after the jeeps and shout for sweets. We were prepared the second time and went and brought sweets as well as pens and pencils. It is heartbreaking to see in one respect but makes you feel verygrateful for what you have.

One of the other trips we did was a visit to Paradise Island. For anybody going to DR I would highly reccomend this but if you have young children be warned that this is a VERY long day trip. It takes roughly 2-3 hours from Puerto Plata on a coach and then you jump in a speedboat and it is another 20 minutes before you reach the sandbank in the middle of the sea. Paradise Island is a protected island and if you want to see the fish then this is the place to go. You can either paddle or snorkel. Even if you choose to stay on the sand you can still see the hundreds of fish in the crystal clear sea. It was an experience that I was glad I was a part of and I would highly reccommend.

Last but not least was the absolute highlight of our holiday and so much fun. We arranged with a guide on the beach to do Quad Biking. This was no ordinary Quad Biking. Again as we were in a group, we were lucky that it was just us in the group. We were put in groups of two on the Quad bikes and we had two guides with us each on a quad bike of their own. You start off by getting picked up at your hotel and driven to collect the bikes. You then have to drive along the main road (the wrong way I might add) with the main guide out front and slowly you are guided up some dirt tracks where you eventually come out into a clearing inbetween sugar cane fields. It was wide enough to have fit maybe 3 or 4 cars next to each other and we couldn't see the end of this track, it just seemed to go on for miles. As you can imagine the whole group suddenly took on a very competitive edge. We paid the guides an extra $10 to let us "got to town" and go to town we did. We all went slightly crazy at this point. What I forget to add is that this dirt track is also hiding puddles that are filled with muddy water and there is absolutley no way of getting round it. I was a passenger with the hubby driving (as were most of the girls) and we spent the next hour screaming, giggling and hanging on for dear life. We used glasses or goggles for our eyes, and bandanas for our mouths. This is not for the feint hearted and if you love the messy fast and fun filled idea of quad biking then this is the thing to do. The only downside is that occassionaly (or quite frequently in our case) when you hit puddles too fast the engine cuts out meaning the guide has to come and re-start your engine. This was no problem though as when one of your mates is stalled and there is a 2 foot muddy puddle right next to them...it is the perfect opportunity. Everything we wore that day had to be thrown away because the mud will cover you from head to foot and you don't stand a chance of it coming out of your clothes. One of the best group activites I have ever done on any holiday. So much fun and so messy, but soooooo worth it. The pictures are some of my favourites. One tip though, buy a waterproof camera (the ones that are a few pounds) and use that on the day. You cannot carry anything on this trip because it will get ruined. There is also the added advantage of seeing other people on the same track as this can be done on either Quad Bikes or Buggys (we did this also and it is a lot messier but not as fast).

There are many other events and excursions to do in Dom Rep but we filled out time between those above and sunning ourselves (inbetween stuffing our faces at the All Inclusive). The holiday was very reasonable and we paid £800 for two weeks at a lovely hotel with everything included. We probably spent another £400 on trips for two of us.

When we went in May the weather can be a little rainy at times but the heat and humidity is unreal. The rain tends to come in short sharp showers and are usually overnight. The ones that appear late afternoon can sometimes last ten minutes or so but rain is not normally a problem at that time of year. The heat is extreme and temperatures can be anything from low 80s to the high 90's. The humidity is very extreme and it takes a bit of getting used to.

I think this is a fantastic island where the people are wonderful and I look forward to going back at some stage.

• Stayed May 2009
2 Thank MrsELondon
Reviewed 24 February 2010

My friend and I went to Gran Ventana from Feb 11-18. Overall our experience was very good. The rooms were certainly adequate with a bar fridge that was stocked with two beer, soda, and water everyday. I've been to a lot of resorts that provide two small bottles of water per day in the room. This resort provided a gallon container daily which was a nice touch. Maid service was good. The overall level of service on the resort was very good. The food was very good to excellent. The buffet was certainly above average for a four star all inclusive. Two of the ala cartes (Octapus, beach grill) bordered on fine dining: excellent food and service. The Italian was very good as well. The bars served up local liquor only. Their classic brand borders on barely drinkable but mixed in Daquiris etc was fine. They had brugal rum which I believe is a premium dominican rum, was good enough. Suprisingly the white wine at dinner was very good apparently imported from Spain. The beach was probably as nice as you can get in Puerta plata as the area is not know for its beautiful beaches. This beach had lighter sand and water that was calm enough to safely swim in. There was a reef right in front and you could snorkel close to shore and see a small variety of fish. They cleaned the beach everyday. If you make a left at the beach and take a walk you'll see what happens when there is no reef for protection or regular beach cleaning. Kind of disgusting. The resort did a nice job of taking care of the beach and keeping everything clean. If you are inclined to exercise they have a gym. However, it is very small and too crowded with only five people in it. However, the cardio equipment works and they have good selection of dumbells.

As for complaints there were only a couple. One was not resort related: weather. It was rainy or cloudy more than half the time. We spent 6-7 hours at the airport because our flight was delayed on the way home due to rain and low hanging cloud. They had to wait for the weather to clear and diverted to Santiago for a few hours. My only real complaint is about the complete lack of evening entertainment. They had Karaoke one night, another audience participation event on another. They had a couple of nights were they had rather amateurish dancers. Not very interesting unless you were one of the college students who were learning about their capacity for alcohol. After the stage show the place seemed to completely close down. There were some off site bars, but they were not very busy and they were not cheap. Out of boredom we went to the local casino. They provide a free shuttle there, but you have to find your own way home. It felt kind of sleazy and unless you having a compelling need to lose your money stay away. That's really all for complaints.

Overall this was a very nice resort. I picked it based on reviews of the beach and food and on the price. I was not disappointed. Overall it does deserve the 4.5 star rating.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank David K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2010

This was our honeymoon and we were really disappointed. We arrived late in the evening as our flight had been delayed, the lobby was crowed and reception was very slow. As the hotel knew it was our honeymoon they had upgraded us to a Junior Suite. The room was lovely however we had asked for a quiet room with a sea view and ended up with a room overlooking (once you could see through the trees) the service area, which we were to discover was anything but quiet. We were woken every night without fail between 4am and 6am by service vehicles and very loud music (presumably from the kitchens?). Our Junior Suite soon lost it's appeal.
The staff are in the main very friendly and the hotel is spotlessly clean, however it was much larger than we had been led to believe and always felt busy - not what we were looking for in a romantic honeymoon destination.
We tended to use the beach, which was lovely, but we only had three good weather days in one entire week, two days it rained continuously. The "looky looky" men are not a problem unless you invite them to be - a polite no thank you always sufficed for us.

On one of the bad weather days we happpened to go whale watching (amazing but you absolutely MUST take travel sickness pills if you suspect you may even remotely get sick!) however on arriving back at the hotel late in the evening, having been out since 5.15am, we discovered there was absolutely no water in our bathroom (except the basin). There had been a fire in the laundry room and the water pipes had melted. This lasted for over 24 hours and eventually we had cold running water again. The hotel did offer us a cold shower in the hospitality room they had set up, however we declined. The water was eventually put back on only to go off again less than 12 hours later - our last morning.
The food was very ordinary, even in the "a la carte restaurants" - obviously they are catering for such large numbers and different nationalities all the time. There are hand gel dispensers outside every restaurant but my husband was still really ill for the last half of the week.

Our best day was the Megatruck Tour - it was absolutely faultless - apart from the rain. If you can only do one excursion I would recommend this one in a second. Helen, the Thomas Cook Rep was outstanding and, being married to a local, she has a genuine knowledge of the area.

I would not recommend this hotel for a quiet luxury romantic holiday - be it a honeymoon or any other special holiday you are planning. Maybe we happened to be unlucky with all the problems we had all within one week and everyone's reviews are subjective, but we saved hard for this honeymoon and looked forward to it for so long and just came away feeling disappointed and deflated.

winnipeg
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Contrary to the previous review, the hotel is wonderful with the exception of the Guelph reading week idiots who decided that it was proper to sleep late and then overrun the pool bar and games area all the time, while then partying till way into the late night hours while those of us with families tried desperately to tune them out. The resort is fabulous and is geared towards couples, families and those wanting a good mix of food and fun....if you want to party all night kids....go to Cancun.... perhaps mom and dad couldn't afford it.

1 Thank sunlovermb
Ontario
Reviewed 22 February 2010

Just got back from another fantastic trip to the Gran Ventana on Feb. 9th -> 16th, 2010.

This was our second trip to the resort and although we had a bit of a mixup day 1 with the rooms we'd requested, they had it all sorted out to everyones satisfaction by the next morning.

Unless you've got active kids, I recommend staying the the Baeta Building (3000 block), it surrounds the quiet pool ... and if you get rooms facing the pool you won't even hear the noise from surrounding resorts, disco's and traffic. The Baeta Bar has two of the best bartenders I've ever encountered at a resort, Jackie (days) and Ramero (nights) keep you sitting at the bar just to hear what they'll say/do next :)

The evening enterainment is fair, although the seating area is VERY loud and quite smokey. The buffet's are plentiful with many options for everyone (don't pass up the omelet bar in the morning, it's the best reason for getting out of bed) ... and the thick rich coffee served all day smells (and tastes) heavenly.

The a-la-cart dinners at the 3 restaurants all boast very good cuisine and although we found the Italian restaurant had the best meals the service is definately lacking compared to the other two restaurants. As a tip, head to the Baeta Building as soon as you arrive and book your dinners with Fiona, the restaurants will book up fast so book early to get the nights and sittings you want.

The beach is nice, large, sandy and warm ... there are many schools of fish near the shore that can be investigated with a snorkle, or even just a set of goggles. The beach vendors are there (arn't they everywhere) but everyone of them takes no for an answer and will go on to amuse someone else.

Hoping to go back again in the future as I've come to find the atmosphere relaxing and almost like "coming home" to friends.

1 Thank Dunedon