“Fantastic Holiday”

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Aberystwyth
“Fantastic Holiday”
Reviewed 19 May 2010

We stayed at the Gran Ventana during the first two weeks on September 2009 and we had a wonderful time.
The weather was fantastic the whole time we were there and we spent many a lazy day on the beautiful beach. We walked to the beach early every day and watched the beach being swept perfectly by staff. It was kept spick and span.The snorkelling on the reefs there was magical, especially early in the morning whilst the water was so calm.
Whilst there we renewed our wedding vows and the hotel staff made our day really special, and we had super photographs taken during the ceremony and also on the beach.
We dined in all of the A Le Carte Restaurants. Our favourite was definitely the Ocean Grill. All of the food in the hotel was fantastic.
We were upgraded to a suite which was located near the quiet pool and it was kept clean each day by the maids. They did a super job and we often had animal shapes made from the towels to greet us when we entered the suite.
If I was to offer an advice it would be regarding the rooms. When we first arrived we were placed on the top floor in the pool. The room was very hot and noisy from the pool bar - so I would recommend asking for a lower ground floor which is much cooler and away from the bar (if you like your sleep) We moved to the other side of the complex and in a ground floor room - much better.
Nightlife - Entertainment was fine if you have small children. The same records were repeated every night and after speaking to the girl whom worked in the small shop in the arcade, the music has been the same in the 7 years she had worked there. The kids seemed to love the Birdie song etc though!!
Trips - we swam with the dolphins. That was amazing and even though expensive - worth every penny. We also went to Paradise Island - mixed views about this really as no one told us that the small island would be surrounded by jelly fish. we are not talking the odd one or two - no. Hundreds of them!! So as far as snorkelling was concerned it would have been ok if we had had wet suits, as many people did get stung and many others refused to get in the water. However the speed boats were good fun.
All in all - a fantastic holiday and we would go again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,086)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hfx
Reviewed 14 May 2010

We stayed at the Gran Ventana from May 6th-13th. We were check in right away. The beach is beautiful; lots of chairs on the beach. The food and the drinks are excellent. I recommend going to the buffet for lunch and not the beach grill as it is mostly fried food. We did 3 "a la carte"-Italian, Ocean Grill and Octopus; the Italian and the Ocean Grill were the best. The buffet for supper had lots to choose from. The staff were very friendly; best customer service of the 4 resorts we have been (Riu Merengue, Serenis Tropical and Bahia Principe San Juan). They remember your name and always greet you with an Hola! The front desk staff, the restaurant staff and the bartenders speak and understand English. Tip Tip Tip! It will go a long way.
The only complaint I have are the rooms are a bit outdated and the merchants on the beach will not leave you alone.
Beside that I would definitely go back. It was everything we had hoped for.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HfxColdNovaScotian
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2010

First time to the DR and I hit GOLD (so good I'm going back in June) finding this place, thanks to the great reviews on TripAdvisor! Where do I start....when we arrived I was taken by how beautiful and clean the lobby was, the pool is off to your right, we arrived during the night so it was all lite up. EVERYTHING is clean, what impressed me the most was at 5:30 AM every morning all the staff was outside scrubbing down ALL the walkways, pool area...u name it, they were cleaning. Rooms are nice, pretty basic, comfy (had Sup. room), housekeeping is there everyday to clean your room. The staff is so friendly and pleasant, they are ALWAYS in a GREAT mood, ready to serve u anywhere u go. The food at the buffet was AMAZING, I ate seafood everyday, twice a day...it was so good we didn't even bother going to the a la carte restaraunts. The beach is breathtaking, I would just suggest if u want a palapa u should go down early in the AM and just leave your beach towel on your chair. The vendors on the beach are a pain, they are expensive so if u do decide to buy from them BARGAIN BARGAIN BARGAIN, u have to be firm with them. If u don't even want to be bothered by them just don't look or talk at them when they come and see u. They walk the whole length of the beach so no matter what resort u are staying at on the Playa Dorada Beach they will harrass u. Went jetskiing, did the catamaran & went to Ocean World and swam with the dolphins, that was pretty cool. The weather was hot and sunny the whole time. It was truly paradise. I am going back in June and 2 more times following that.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
torotno
Reviewed 12 May 2010

TIP: Never buy your wares from the beach vendors unless you are a good bargainer and aren't easily swayed by emotion. You will find everything much cheaper in town. Beach vendors would love to sell you necklaces for $25-35 when at less tourist packed places like the San Felipe fort the vendors told me three volcano stone necklaces for $ 10.

Always tip and befriend your maids, they don't make a lot of money and your treatment of them goes a long way towards their treatment of you. Tipping your bartender and at means is personally recommended as well.

I came to Gran Ventana with a few reservations since I had stayed in the Iberostar Playa Dorada resort just down the street the year earlier and G.V is rated half a star under that resort.

It is a gorgeous resort. The staff was great from the front desk to the bartenders (Our favourite bartender at the quiet pool, Ramiro, took our little guitar and serenaded us with romantic Spanish music). The staff was very grateful and encouraging of my groups humanitarian work and were always willing to help us out when we needed a favour such as packed lunches or inviting our translator and bus driver to come onto the resort for lunch.

That being said there are some problems which did affect our liklihood to come again. Frequently many of my group of 20 had shower problems. Many of us didn't have water at all for some time, others had no hot water FREQUENTLY and were given no real time frame as to when the work would be finished.

If there is a problem Gran Ventana happily moves you into another room- NOT ALWAYS A SOLUTION. There was a very angry man at the front desk who had been moved 4-5 times during his stay and quite upset about his being unable to get a refund. My friend in the room beside me as well as myself had issues with the air conditioner as well. The towel racks in my room were coming out of the walls but that is not something I find to be a "deal breaker."

The food ranged from adequate to very good. I would avoid the Italian restaurant though as that is where there was a general consensus from my group that the food was not up to par. The view from the Ocean grill restaurant is amazing (though I wouldn't buy the special, lobster, as my aunts was over cooked). The Octopus was by far my favourite restaurant on the resort with the best food and nice private atmosphere.

The evening entertainment shows were much like those I saw at the Iberostar resort last year. Though the performers are full of energy and enthusiasm (I miss them already)- the shows themselves are mediocre and the jokes very distasteful at times (usually centering around sex, race, and bodily functions). Something enjoyed easily enough with the unlimited alcohol that comes with an all-inclusive resort.

Lastly I did get the 30 min deep muscle massage done at the the sister resort Victoria Golf. It was a nice atmosphere but the massage itself needed to be harder even after I had mentioned it to the masseuse.

• Stayed May 2010
Winter Garden, Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We stayed 3 nights May 7-10. Had a wonderful stay. Check in was a breeze, room was very clean and quiet. This resort is beautiful. I did alot of research when booking and I think I picked the best. Food was good, we ate at the Octopus one night and very tasty. Pool clean always and pool bar great. Something always to do, entertainment staff did a great job.The beach was amazing, you could snorkel right off the beach and see many beautiful tropical fish. We would return next week if we could.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Leeds
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Have just returned from a week at the Gran Ventana, our second stay this year, and have been checking prices to return in November. The hotel is excellent, buffet restaurant really good quality. Ate at the a la carte restaurants where the service was very good - attentive and friendly with no waiting and the food quality excellent, would highly recommend the steak.
The entertainment was good, if there was one complaint it would be that the music played after the show did perhaps not encourage people to dance.
The weather was great, a couple of short rain showers but no real problem. It was never a problem getting a sunbed and you could change the pool towels as often as you liked.
Can't believe the review of the lady who complained about the weather (and everything else) as guests we spoke to who were on ther second week told us that there had been no rain! Think she must have stayed at a different place!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
kent
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Had a brill holiday here! food not bad, entertainment pretty good, staff so happy and make you feel so welcome. travelled with two kids (4year old and 13 year old) both had a wicked time! did have two days of rain...not bad for two week holiday. Got great tan, meet some great people, beach gorgeous, hotel and grounds spotlessly clean. Chiqui the hotel photographer is top man and we all loved him! so many happy memories, worth the 9hr flight! just watch out for people trying to rip you off!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family