Since I chose my vacation spot based on TripAdvisor reviews, I have to reciprocate with a review of my own!
We travelled to Gran Ventana 11 Nov-14 Nov. The hotel sent a taxi for us to meet us at the hotel for a cost of $35 USD and I would highly recommend this option. We were greeted with a welcome cocktail and checked into our room within 5 minutes of arrival. The grounds and room were spotless and cheerily appointed. However, the room did have a very musty smell to it when you walked in. Maid service was quick and efficient.
The food was great. There were tons of options at the buffet, which I think was best for breakfast (esp the omlettes) and lunch. For dinner, we went to the restaurants to switch things up. You can eat at each a la carte 1X per week. We tried Octopus first, which was good, but the italian restaurant was absolutely fantastic. The only bad thing was wine @ dinner was absolutely disgusting (and I am not picky- Ill drink 2 Buck Chuck from Trader Joes any day!). You could buy a bottle but who wants to do that?
The resort has an extensive drink menu at all the bars. We tried almost all, so good! Very, very sweet though. Beer was good.
Pool was very clean, but didnt really swim much as it was overcast and a little cold. The resort was not very busy, so there were tons of chairs. Same was true on the beach, not crowded at all. I got a massage on the beach for $25 USD for half an hour that was fantastic. The tour operators and vendors are really annoying, but you just have to be firm. Disappointed there was no jacuzzi on the property.
The entertainment is not good, but they certainly try.
This place is not a tropical paradaise but rather a lovely, small resort with impeccably clean grounds, decent food and friendly and accomodating staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic
- VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata