“Absolutely amazing!!”

Ranked #5 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Halifax, Canada
“Absolutely amazing!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2010

My spouse and I had never been on a vacation to the DR and now wonder why we waited so long to go! This resort has very friendly staff on hand to assist you with any trouble you may have, no matter how big or small. We have no complaints; the room was kept tidy, beverages restocked every day, and the resort was very clean. In fact, the staff were always cleaning. The animation team is a group of young people that are very exceptional. They are all so friendly, and they can dance!! The food was great..but don't go looking for anything spicy, you won't find it here. The 3 a la cartes are very nice, take the time to book, it is well worth it. Now..about the beach. Be careful because once you get there, you may not want to leave!! All in all...take the time to talk to the domician locals. Don't be afraid to wander off your resort, we went expoloring a couple of times and felt safe. I highly recommend this resort, and we are planning our next trip!

3 Thank bluesnoser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
krib101
Reviewed 23 November 2010

Since I chose my vacation spot based on TripAdvisor reviews, I have to reciprocate with a review of my own!

We travelled to Gran Ventana 11 Nov-14 Nov. The hotel sent a taxi for us to meet us at the hotel for a cost of $35 USD and I would highly recommend this option. We were greeted with a welcome cocktail and checked into our room within 5 minutes of arrival. The grounds and room were spotless and cheerily appointed. However, the room did have a very musty smell to it when you walked in. Maid service was quick and efficient.

The food was great. There were tons of options at the buffet, which I think was best for breakfast (esp the omlettes) and lunch. For dinner, we went to the restaurants to switch things up. You can eat at each a la carte 1X per week. We tried Octopus first, which was good, but the italian restaurant was absolutely fantastic. The only bad thing was wine @ dinner was absolutely disgusting (and I am not picky- Ill drink 2 Buck Chuck from Trader Joes any day!). You could buy a bottle but who wants to do that?

The resort has an extensive drink menu at all the bars. We tried almost all, so good! Very, very sweet though. Beer was good.

Pool was very clean, but didnt really swim much as it was overcast and a little cold. The resort was not very busy, so there were tons of chairs. Same was true on the beach, not crowded at all. I got a massage on the beach for $25 USD for half an hour that was fantastic. The tour operators and vendors are really annoying, but you just have to be firm. Disappointed there was no jacuzzi on the property.

The entertainment is not good, but they certainly try.

This place is not a tropical paradaise but rather a lovely, small resort with impeccably clean grounds, decent food and friendly and accomodating staff.

3 Thank krib101
Blainville, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Nice hotel, not very big but clean. Very friendly staff.
Food good in general at the buffet beside the red wine. Always found plenty every meal.
Very nice beach and clear turquoise water.
I defenatly recommend this place.
J.C.

pontefract
Reviewed 16 November 2010

we went the last week in september for my husbands 50 birthday we could not have asked for a better holiday. The hotel staff was really friendly, Lewis form the pool bar was one of the best barstaff he made you any drink you wanted. The food was really good as i am a fussy eater la carte restarants was all very good. ON The nigt of my husbands big day the waiters came out with a cake and candle in singing happy birthday. Only time we was dissapointed was with the entertainment was on the night the best night was when it was a Michael Jackson night which was once a fortnight. We booked trips with the bloke from the beach they was a lot cheaper tyhen the rep. The hotel room was clean and tidy the maid came in every day and beddding was always cleanWe would recommend this hotel too anyone as a couple or as family.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank brookypontefract
North Lincolnshire UK
Reviewed 15 November 2010

If anyone says anything bad about the place and people ignore them it was the best holiday I have ever had, my six year old son cried loads when I said we were leaving as he loved it, it was such a safe place with the kids club you could relax enjoy and know he was safe. The staff could not do enough for you we did have a lot of rain but is was still very hot and there was plenty of games going on through the day so you did not get bored. Food was excellent plenty of choice and different every day. It was my Husbands 30th while we were there and the staff were excellent they put balloons round the table and made a lovely cake and all sang Happy Birthday. It shows you how good the place was I would say every other couple you spoke to had been there on more than one occasion. We are hoping to go again next year we all loved every min there.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank HappyJulie16
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Gran Ventana from 19 October 2010 for one week and had the most AMAZING time. We’re in our early twenties and this holiday was to recharge our batteries and relax.

We flew from Manchester to Puerto Plata and on arrival at the airport we were greeted by a live acoustic band and 151 Rum (75% proof – you are unable to take any to the UK). We had absolutely no problems in regaining luggage and our bags were carried for us straight to our transfer bus, which was fully air conditioned. Our travel rep Sylvia was amazing, her knowledge of the country and the resort is second to none and she was honest with us regarding excursions and the best way to deal with the beach vendors.

Check in at reception was faultless and we were given delicious cocktails. We made our way up to the room to find our luggage had beaten us there.

Accommodation:

Our room was comfortable and I was very satisfied. I knew prior to booking the holiday we were not staying at the Ritz; however the Caribbean charm of the Gran Ventana is the reason I chose this place. The buildings are all beautiful colours and the furniture is made from local Mahogany. We had a room with two double beds which were surprisingly comfy – I’m usually a terrible sleeper but felt fresh as a daisy every morning. The air conditioner was brilliant and I had to turn it off a few times during the nights. The bathroom was immaculate and I can’t fault it – there is a small hairdryer in the rooms.

Food:

This was my first all inclusive package and I had a few reservations regarding the buffet however I can happily say I thoroughly enjoyed every meal we had. I was impressed with the variety at the breakfast buffet, there was various types of bread, meats and cheeses, typical English cooked breakfast, cereals, a smoothie station where they make whatever you ask for, an egg station where the guy will cook your eggs/omelettes however you like them, there was also various traditional Caribbean options.

We tended to eat lunch at the beach café however that’s due to spending our week on the beach. There was a good variety of food available and I would definitely recommend the fresh fish dishes which are cooked to order.

We dined at all three al a carte restaurants and can confidently say the food was amazing at all three. Be warned though, shrimps in DR are actually the size of king prawns on steroids!!

Facilities:

We stayed here whilst it was relatively quiet and there were always sun beds available around the pool. We hardly spent any time around the pool so can’t really comment too much, however the cleaning staff take real pride in the resort and I can’t fault the cleanliness of the place. The entertainment staff are brilliant and know guests by their names. There was a morning aerobic session in the pool and they play games with the children (and whoever wants to join in) throughout the day. On arrival you get given a towel card each, be sure not to loose the card or the towel though, the hotel will charge $20 for a replacement! There is a gym overlooking the pool (not that I saw the inside of it) and there is a children’s play centre. The bar staff are brilliant and helped us make our way through the cocktail menu – I’d highly recommend a ‘Playa Dorada!’ There are bikes to hire for an hour which is a nice way to see the complex.

The entertainment staff are brilliant, they have shows on each evening which last until 11pm or so. After then, people tend to hang around in the comfy chairs around the pool. This place is more for those who wish to relax rather than party.

In the Plaza there are a number of shops selling the usual trinkets, they also sell suncream, snacks and clothing. There are a few bars, including one which shows most English football matches – there is also a nightclub for those who have the energy.

Beach:

As stated, we spent most of our time at the beach. There were plenty of parasols available for shade. Be warned though, due to the sea breeze it does feel a lot cooler than around the pool so make sure you use plenty of sun protection. You will find people trying to sell the usual trinkets, they all wear shirts with numbers on them so they are identifiable should there be any problems. We didn’t have any problems and a firm no always worked. If you are interested in buying from them haggle them down to at least half the original asking price – they’ll still be making money trust me!!! One guy, Roberto (number 30) is particularly friendly and even came to see us on the day we were leaving to wish us a good journey home. The people on the beach also sell excursions however we booked our excursions through the tour company so I can’t comment on the standard of the tours however we were very happy with our days out.

All in all I was very happy with this holiday and cannot wait to book next years. I would definitely return to the Gran Ventana :-)

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank miss_rl
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I have just returned from here with my husband and 3 children. This was our second visit to this hotel and we had a great time. The staff at the hotel are second to none and will do anything for you. The entertainment is ok and the food is great both in the morning and at night. We enjoyed all 3 restaurants and booked one every other night.
New sunbeds and it is all kept very very clean around the pool area and on the beach.

The only problem I had with this hotel is while we were on our second week 200 german travel agents also came to the hotel for 4 days to review the hotel ready to sell it to the german tourist next year. Hence the reason why it may change. It was ok at first but on the second day we were woken early by groups of 30-40 of these travel agents stood outside our bedroom door revewing the inter-connecting rooms across the hall. As you can imagine I wasn't best pleased and when I asked them to be quiet they looked at me like I had two heads. The hotel were very apologetic when I complained for the 3rd time about the noise.
The question is would I go back next year for a third time knowing that it is all change.
NO, sorry but I don't beleive I would.
I may be wrong but I don't think I will risk it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family