My wife and I chose this hotel after MUCH reading on TA of reviews! Disregarded a few obvious bad ones and off we went. We have been 10 times to DR and Cuba nad have a pretty good idea of what should be and value. GV has the best food we have ever seen anywhere in the caribean ! THe Alacarts are ALL excellent! Amongst us we voted the Beach Grill the best and the Octapus the fanciest :) They really are all great ! try them! The buffet had chienese food, turkey , chicken, 3 or 4 kinds of potatoe every night, pastas, Always a carvery each night different and tasty. always a beef dish, a fish dish o r two....rice, honestly I could go on for days . Deserts to numerous to mention and tasty! A chocolate cornor! Salad bar and lots of breads and rolls and fruit. Honestly if you can t eat here you should probably not go to the Caribean :)
Our room was 2306. It was a solid 4 star room, no worn furnishing that I read of ?? I have pics to prove it !! top floor over looking the pool and a small ocean view thru the trees. Nice patio. AIr condition and hot water etc no problems.
There is definatly a difference with the staff here compared to other resorts I ve been too..they are eager to please and quick to do thier work. Each morning we would go to breakfast around 8-9 and put the green sign on our door..EVERY time our room was cleaned when we got back! We did have a negitive experience with one waiter in the Italian alacart which I did not allow to ruin our evening but he did bother me and I have sent a letter to the GV manager.
THe pool is beautiful and cleaned each day and night. I ve never seen people clean like they do! I watched them every day scrub the entire pool deck and all the chairs and tables. ALl the walkways right to the beach as well....nothing escapes these guys.
First time ever the other hotel people are on the beach trying to recruit you to come there next year, when we walked to the golf course they were at the end of thier entrances inviting you in for a tour or a drink.....asking for your visit next year! Perhaps this explains why GV is working so hard with the closures in Playa Dorada.
We took a taxi to toen and the rum factory etc....$40 for 2 hours, ok if your a first time visitor to the area.
The rum at the airport duty free, the first shop you come to after you clear check in is the cheapest anywhere. $2 less than the Brugal factory!
There is ice in the big grey plastic containers on each floor! Took us a few days to realize that :) THere is a money exchange on the resort between the 2 shops.
The beach is beautiful and there are a lot of vendors to sell you things but they are friendly and will go with a no thanks. As someone else said there s nothing wrong with shopping from your beach chair!! We did most of our shopping there ....nice fun guys to barter with, have fun with it. We did go to the orange market and a market in town.....we found the further from the resort the more aggressive the people/sellers get.
Fortunatly for us we had 7 hot and sunny days....not a drop of rain.
The shows are fun mostly audience participation bit the Michael Jackson show is very good!
We will return to the GV next year with 4 friends I have no problem recommending this resort to anyone. It's beautiful, well run and affordable. Enjoy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Dorada, a gated oceanfront community on the northern coast of the Dominican Republic, is home to Gran Ventana Beach Resort, one of the country’s friendliest, most welcoming hotels. Located directly on the beach, our Puerto Plata beach resort boasts three pools, a kids club and an airy, cool and fresh lobby. We also offer a superb, all-inclusive value for families, couples and group vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Ventana Beach Hotel
- Gran Ventana Dominican Republic
- Gran Ventana Puerto Plata
- Gran Ventana Beach Resort Puerto Plata
- Hotel Gran Ventana Beach
- Grand Ventana Beach Resort
- Gran Ventana Hotel Dominican Republic
- VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata