“Perfect Holiday! Especially thanks to the Star Friends”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 June 2012

I went to this hotel for two weeks from May 17th, after reading some of the reviews on here I was a little worried however I didn't find much wrong with the hotel at all (and I can be really picky).

Check in:
This was done for us on the coach from the airport, everyone on the bus was given their hotel documents, room key, towel key, wristband etc... this was great as it saved time the only thing you had to do when you got there was queue for the safe code if you wanted to use it, although the welcome drink helped with this process. (On a Thomas Cook AI the safe isn't included and costs $2 per day)

Room:
I had room 9017 which was the block closest to reception, I was a little apprehensive about this as I have a mobility problem so was concerned about how far away the pool was however in this hotel nothing is that far away, I managed without any problems and being in the 9000 block I was really close to the evening entertainment, you could hear the music on an evening from the band in the courtyard but it was at a background music level rather than being really loud stopping you from hearing the TV etc. if you wanted to.
I had no musty room smell or anything like that despite some of the reviews on here and no one I spoke to had anything like that either.

Pool:
Great! I can't say too many good things about it, the steps might prove a challenge for some people as the last step was quite high when you were getting out but I managed it without issue. The staff were always getting leaves etc. out and polishing it to make sure it was at its best and there a few places to sit within the water as well which was refreshing in the sun. Only thing I can say that is a little negative is that there seemed to be a lot of chlorine in the pool which wasn't detectable via smell/eyes etc...but my bikinis have a greenish tinge to them so I’d recommend taking a small amount of soap powder if you have light coloured swimwear. (Now everything has been washed at home the green has come off without a problem) Mount Isabella in the background makes for good scenery when you’re in the pool

Entertainment Team Star Friends:
Well what can I say about these guys? They never stop working for the 15 hours that they are within the complex, I went on holiday alone and without a doubt the star friends made my holiday what it was there are so many things that you can join in with from Archery to Horseshoe, Crazy Pool Games (including Pool Dominos) to Bingo.
Gi Gi, Maria, Santa, SexyFace, Laptop, Shakira and Chucky, I cannot thank you enough for the welcome you gave me and the fun that you all created during my stay you guys are brilliant and I hope to be back next year to see you again!!

Food:
Something for everyone I never went hungry only thing is that sometimes the food isn’t piping hot however it’s a buffet so that can be expected there is so much choice whether you eat in the main restaurant or the speciality restaurants. I quite enjoyed the Mexican speciality, the Brazilian was ok however I'm not a huge meat fan so for people that love large amounts of meat this is the place for you. My favourite by far was the Seafood restaurant down by the pool, I went 3 times and was never disappointed by the food, the lobster soup was delicious and the choice of main meals was great as well as the buffet selection of breaded crab claws etc.
Main Buffet: Some evenings they do theme nights of Chinese, Mexican and Dominican. The highlight for me was Wednesday night when it was Lobster night however, regardless of the night there is something for everyone I can't imagine that, due to the choice, there would be anyone who was unable to find something that they'd like.
Pool Bar/Buffet: Great for lighter lunches during the day including Ice Cream machine, Popcorn machine and things like Nachos, Pizza, Fish etc...
During my time at the hotel there were a couple of Beach BBQ's and also a Paella party by the pool.
There is no room service facility but you can get food during the night from the main restaurant and the Mexican (11pm-6am I think)

Staff: Great from Reception, To the Cleaners, Gardeners to Maintenance guys (who fixed a significant leak by my air-conditioning unit within an hour which involved taking a large part of the bathroom ceiling down) The staff in the restaurants were great, I was never left waiting for a drink and the bar staff were so friendly and made great drinks, and tended to remember your order (alcohol wasn't watered down at all)

Beach:
Was nice, a lot of trees on the beach although the sand got really hot flip flops are a must! There was a bit of seaweed around but it’s a beach so I expected there would be! In all honestly didn't spend a huge amount of time on the beach, was easier for me to be around the pool

Shows:
Lion King was outstanding, most of the shows were really good Iberogrammy was funny, mainly due to Laptop and GiGi! The ice breaker shows always gave a good laugh and the dancers were really good.

Courtyard/Main Bar:
Both lovely places to sit with both Turtles and Flamingos nearby, the courtyard was a beautiful place to sit on an evening lots of seats available and the music of the band floating over you, pretty much perfect.

All in all, I wouldn’t hesitate in going back, the hotel wasn’t quite as good as the previous iberostar I’ve stayed in (Iberostar Quetzal, Mexico) but I had a brilliant holiday, I travelled alone met a lot of great people and wish I was still there.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Gillie86
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear gues guilli86,
I would like to thank for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience during your stay at Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel. In the name of Ms. Maria Berbel, Hotel Manager, and her team, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are very satisfied to know that your experience at our hotel was perfect thanks to our Star Friends team, as you wrote at the title of your review. We really appreciate your nice comments about their friendliness as well as the wide range of activities that they offer daily and nightly. In Iberostar we aim to ensure an unforgettable holiday to our beloved guests. we are pleased to hear that they helped us to accomplish our goal.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again, please contact us before your next visit, Kindest regards,

There are newer reviews for Iberostar Costa Dorada

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Me and my wife have recently stay at this hotel for a week end. First we were supposed to go to Punta Cana to celebrate my wife's birthday but things didn't work out as planned and we ended in Puerto Plata. At first i was a little hesitant to go to Puerto Plata because most of the resort on this side is kinda and have not been well maintained. We decided to stay at this property as we walk in the staff there was so attentive and very helpfull through our stays. The food was excellent and we were able to food available around the clock. After a night at the disco that was spectacular the music and the mixture of differnt type of music and the truck with the light and his horns then after the disco we were able to go to the restaurant to find a variety of food available while most resort only offer finger food around this time, Me as a vegetarian i always have a hard time finding food in the wee hours. The show was great and the different activities for the kids make me feel gulty not bringing the kids alond with us. I'm already planning for the next year to bring my kids to this particular resort. The ground well kept,felt very secured well lit at the night. The only downfall was the beach but the pool is so big with whirlpool at the center made up for the beach. I've stayed in various different resorts, this is definetly one of the top. The saff,the service and the accomodation make this place a wonderful place to stay and also when you look at the value and the price,it's definetly one of the best place to stay.

2  Thank Kenny M
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear KennyM,
We want to thank you for choosing Iberostar as your destination chain for your weekend vacations. We also thank you for taking time to write us some comments about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. Maria Berbel and her team, we want to express you how glad we are to read that you had an excellent weekend due to the friendliness of our staff, our varied gastronomy and the wide range of options offered by our entertainment team: our Star Friends. In Iberostar we aim to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guest.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. We are waiting for you to contact us in order to help you in your next visit.
With best regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2012

Overall it was a great resort. Clean rooms, good food & drinks, the entertainers work hard and are friendly. GG, Shakira, Laptop, Sexyface & Chuckie are all very friendly. The beach is fine, a bit of sea weeds but otherwise fine. We had a good time, no rain and very hot! We will be back hopefully in September!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Tex02,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada for your holidays and for posting a review about your stay.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Maria Berbel and her team, I would like to express how glad we are to read that you had a great holiday. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to hear that you felt so.
We will be honored to welcome you back again, please contact us before your next visit in September,
With kindest regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2012

This resort met all of my expectations. This is the third Iberostar I have stayed at. I was sad knowing there would not be a swim up bar but that turned out to never cross my mind once I was there. The pool is huge and amazing. The water was always refreshing. It was never too cold nor too warm. There was always activities going on that kept everyone entertained. There was anything from darts and ping pong to swimming games and water polo. The Star Friends made it their number one priority to ensure everyone was having a fun time.

After reading the reviews I thought the beach area was going to be a disaster. I now know some people are mellow dramatic and just impossible to please. The water is no where near as clear as Punta Cana but it was still nice. The sea weed was only bad in some parts. There was plenty of room to find a nice place to swim.

The restaurants were nice with a wide variety. The buffets were outstanding in my opinion and had enough food to meet the needs of many people. I was sad that there was not room service but it didn't put a damper in the trip at all.

The rooms were spacious and comfortable and I had no complaints there. The mini fridge was stocked every other day.

The nightly entertainment was so fun! Mr. Iberostar and Ms. Iberostar were hilarious. I would highly recommend going to the Lion King show. It was well put together and show cased many different talents.

The front desk was always helpful. Check in and check out was a breeze.

The drinks were good and always conveniently available.

I would recommend this resort to a friend in a heart beat.

4  Thank TVolpe03

Dear Tvolpe03,
We want to thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar Hotels and Resort for your holidays and for writing a review about your visit to Iberostar Costa Dorada.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. Maria Berbel, we want to express how glad we are to read that you had enjoyed your third stay in an Iberostar hotel. It is always a pleasure to read your positive valuation about the service provided by our Reception team, our Star Friends and our cooks. Our team is proud to know that they helped you to have a memorable stay, as we aim in Iberostar and you have experienced three times.
We are already waiting for your next visit, please feel free to contact us again before coming, so we can help you to please all your wishes.
With regards,

Reviewed 31 May 2012

This was the Second time My GF and I had visited Dom Rep and I have to say this was a fantastic place to stay.

The Resort itself had lots to review and I think it would be best to go through the resort bit by bit to explain the pros and cons of the place.

Reception:

This is a great open planned area with somebody always available and ready to help Andreina was a female who worked there who always greeted us with a smile and who spoke perfect English. She was informative and was not afraid to recommend local venues to shop and visit to suit our needs.

The Gift Shop:
This is a great little shop that accepts Peso and Dollars so it was great to have this on site. This was Ideal for those little items you forgot to pack or didn’t think you would need. The prices however were very high compared to other shops in the area and as such was not an area we wanted to spend a lot of money on.
The odd thing coming from the UK was that the price of 20 cigarettes and a bottle of rum cost LESS than 2 packets of crisps and 2 bars of chocolate!!
Again the staff were always happy and friendly and spoke great English.

The Restaurants:
The Resort has 3 a la cart Restaurants Seafood, Mexican and Brazilian. All were fantastic with great service the Brazilian was by far the best for me as it had high protein foods and low carb. All came with a massive election of deserts and drink as much alcohol as you like style drinks. As you entered the restaurants you was greeted with a cocktail and shown to your table where you had a varied choice of food.
The Main Dining hall was good also the food was out of this world with only 2 days out of the 2 weeks where we didn’t have much choice of what we liked however was still always fresh and always served with a smile.
The main dining area always had fresh salads and a carvery with a meat of the day style chef who carved the meat for you.
The only part of this area we have to give a negative was the staff. They appeared to be around but there wasn’t enough of them at all they were quick to clear your plates but for 98% of the holiday we poured our own drinks which was fine by us but it was clear that they were happy to serve certain tables and not so happy to do ours and various others.
There was one particular part of the holiday where a Independent company had given us forms to fill out for the resort this gave the customers a chance to rate the service and facilities and the dining area was a part of this, I gave the dining area a rating of good to which I thought was fair given the fact that the food was excellent however the service was mighty poor!! Well on this day the staff knew that the customers were reviewing and on this day and this day only there was lots of staff who couldn’t do enough for you it was a pity that the service had not been like this most of the time A waiter called Joseph was very annoying and very unprofessional on this day he had seen that I had only given the waiting service a rating of good rather than very good and he approached me and asked me why…! I have to say I was shocked at this as this was my review of the service and he was questioning me why it wasn’t very good instead of good. I explained to him that I was eating my dinner and that I had the choice to rate it and this I thought was fair as the food was fantastic however the service wasn’t the best.
He kept on looking at me as he walked away and made me feel very uncomfortable and I got quite annoyed at this.
He then came over with 2 glasses of coke as he sore that we had finished ours and this was the first time that any waiter/waitress had approached us with a drink let alone being asked for any other time during our stay.
I went to get a dessert and on my return was informed by my GF that the waiter had asked her to tell me to change my review! This got me very angry and as such felt like downgrading the score to average.
The reviews were optional by all guests and as such I thought I was doing a good thing in giving the management honest feedback towards there staff in order to maintain or improve the standard of service but to be nagged and moaned at by a waiter for not giving the area of the resort the best mark in my book was very unprofessional and completely rude towards the guests at the resort and as such hope that the management will sort this out as this conduct towards guests is not acceptable.
Anyway this was the ONLY part of the visit that was negative and I hope that the management sort this matter out.

The SPA:
I had booked a couples massage for me and the GF which cost $200 which I have to say was fantastic the service from the 2 lady’s was amazing the massage was from head to toe and lasted around 50 mins in the UK you would pay double this per person and was really worth the money this was charged to the room for us to pay on the way out and the lady’s were tipped on our departure.

The Pool:
This was a fantastic pool with loads of sun loungers nearby the pool was clean and there was a man who cleaned the inside of the pool throughout the day and was always skimming the water for leaves and rubbish etc..
The water was always cool but not to cold to freeze you and the strict policy of no glass or plates near the pool was peace of mind when in bare foot.

The Buffet area poolside:
This was fantastic cold drinks food hot and cold ice cream and fresh popcorn and nacho’s were just a few items I can remember of being great plus the added bonus of a bar, which was manned constantly.

The Beach:
This was a fantastic part of the beach with clear sea and golden HOT sand “ Foot wear is required here peeps” the beach was patrolled by security from the resort so in regards to the local beach sellers this is great as they make sure they don’t hassle you.
There was also a comforting police presence on the beach which was good as there are locals that will try and sell all sorts of things “Even with the excuse of not having any money to hand” they offered you credit and then for them to come back to the resort and you can pay them then!!! Just say no is my advise there is a great shop in playa dorada “5 mins down the road $7 each way that will sell you good items at good prices and you can shop at your own leisure without having the hassle to buy everything you see.

The Rooms:
To be fair a little bit dated the rooms were always clean and tidy and the mini bar always fully stocked with soft drinks and beer there is also tea/coffee stocked everyday.
Clean towels are provided everyday and the bed was always made.
The Maids work HARD there and again always greet you with a smile and are very humble. I tipped our maid a lot and she in turn made sure our room was always top notch.
The shower was amazing and the bath a great size which was needed after a hard day lying on the beach doing nothing!! Lol

The Entertainment staff:
Nothing much to say about this lot apart from FANTASTIC!!! They always had us laughing and always worked hard there constant humour and endless energy was so refreshing to see they were not pushy about getting you up on stage and getting you to do the activity’s they were pleasant and always very funny.
Cappuccino was the funniest he dressed up everyday in costumes paint and various other things to get the attention of the guests and this was in HOT weather so well done to him.

The Evening entertainment was great being a professional dancer of 21 years I thought the routines were fantastic and the boys had such energy it was great.
Lion King show is a must!!!

The Bars:
The staff at the bars were amazing they work very hard and have a great way about them they were very quick ESP as there could be 40 plus people at any one time to serve.

The Singers:
Amazing there vocals were great they sung loads of hard songs and really made the night when you have had a long day out or just feeling romantic.

The Casino Next door :
This was not part of the resort! However was a good place to go to we played there a lot and had fun our best was $375 return for a $2 spin so get in there and have fun you can smoke here and drinks are free so have fun.

The conclusion:

This place is amazing we had booked the holiday through Thomas Cook and the Rep “Helen” was great with the local knowledge and a great list of excursions for guests to go to we did everything apart from boats which really made our time there great.
I would without a doubt go back to the same resort again it was the best ever the only downfall was the waiter Joseph who made a pest of himself but fingers crossed this will be sorted out by the management there.

The resort itself is modern clean and full of fun and time to relax. I would say this is suitable for couples and families but not the ideal place for honeymooners..

Tips:

Always tip the staff $1 its nothing to us and a lot to them esp if they have done a good job.
Don’t buy a thing from the beach sellers they change their price according from where you’re from and are not to be trusted.
Make sure you have enough sun cream from home, as the prices at the resort are terribly high!
If you are prone to getting bitten make sure you take mozzy spray this will save you trust me they are everywhere.
Feed the flamingos they are great and very gentle and safe.
Try the Mamawana there its great and defo a drink you need to try when in the Dom Rep.
Buy plastic beakers with the lids this was it saves you time going back to get refills all the time you get a lot of drink in them and the lid stops fly’s/sand in the drink.
Don’t run by the pool it’s slippery when dry let alone wet!
Enjoy yourself its your holiday and it’s a great place to be :).

Room Tip: If you want a poolside view request the 3000 block its great and if you want a sea view request the...
10  Thank Jay G

Dear Guest JayG,
First at all, we would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Costa Dorada for your second visit to the Dominican Republic; and for taking time to write some comments about your stay among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. Maria Berbel, we want to express how glad we are to read that you had “fantastic holiday” despite the incidences when dealing with our waiters at the restaurants and buffets. We are really pleased to read that you enjoyed our gastronomy and the service provided by our team at the Front Desk, bars and our Star Friends activities and shows. In Iberostar we aim to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests.
We apologize for the lack of service that you may have encountered while visiting our restaurants and bars. I have shared your concerns with our Food and Beverage Manager as well as our Maitre to improve our standard in this area.
We are already looking forward to see you in our facilities and show you our improvements, please feel free to contact us again before, so we can assist you.
With regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Check in was an absolute breeze. We were handed our room keys on the bus, so we just went straight to our room. Right away, the staff were so accommodating and friendly. The animation team was great. I didn't participate with much, but they would ask once, and if you said no they wouldn't ask again. It was nice not to be pressured. Their entertainment was great though. The team is so full of energy, and they work so hard. Spaghetti takes beautiful pictures if you opt for a photo shoot. Santos was our favourite server in the buffet- always attentive, and friendly. William at the Lobby Bar was great too. Among many many other great staff at this resort.

The food is great! My boyfriend and I met a group of people on the resort so we all went to dinner together, and no one had any complaints with the buffet, a la cartes, and the variety of food. We did not try the Seafood Restaurant, but the Brazilian and Mexican were fantastic (Brazilian was my favourite). The Mexican night themed buffet was delicious too. Try the carvery station at the buffet- the pork, turkey, roast beef, and ribs were AMAZING!

Finally, if you scuba dive, this resort is great. Surrounded by coral reef with tons of aquatic life. The Scuba Team are wonderful too, very professional and patient (especially with first timers).

The resort is also clean and beautiful maintained. Highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the 6th building. Quiet, and close to both the beach and pool..
3  Thank Sara H

Dear SaraH,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mrs. Maria Berbel, I want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. We also thank you for choosing Iberostar as a destination for your vacations.
It is a pleasure for us to read your kind words about the service provided by our team in the different areas of our hotel premises. We appreciate your positive comments about the good service and the quality and our varied gastronomy. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service and we work hard to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
We are looking forward to welcome you again. Please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 30 May 2012

First I want to say "Thank You" to our travel agent Danielle for recommending this resort. Wow...from the time we got there to the time we left...we had a great time. It started at the front desk with Jhanna. Considering there were 8 of us (4 couples), she accomidated us with no problems. There was Juan Luis Rodriguez (Public Relations Mgr. Thanks for the tie), he'll help you with whatever you need and Franklin who took care of any excursions you wanted to go on. Then there was the "Fun Crew" because that's exactly what they are. There's Chucky, a big fun lovable guy that MC's the shows at night and during the day is running the games. Then there's Cappicino. A day doesn't go by that you don't hear his friendly familiar voice at 9am around the pool usually dressed up in some sort of costume. He'll start your day off with a smile (and believe me, it'll last all day). He was my brother from another mother. Then there's Gigi and Laptop..fun guys and great dancers. Even the guys that brought you the pads for your chairs were very nice and friendly. And then there's the beautiful ladies of the "Fun Crew"..Santa (yes, love) giving out towles at the pool, Maria & Shakira..so friendly and doing everything with a smile. It's amazing the long hours the fun crew work and always have a smile. Then in the big buffet resturant there was Robert our waiter. He made sure we had our table every morning and every night, and our bus girl Katria...the best, always smiling. The food was excellant at every buffet and resturant..breakfast, lunch and dinner. We didn't have one complaint and we travel every yr and have eaten at many resorts (all inclusive is the best way to go). And as far as drinks, mucho rum, mucho tequila all week long. Remember, it's paid for. The shows at night, the singers and dance crew were awesome. Make sure to catch the Lion King and the magician besides all the other shows. Being a drummer, I loved the band at the shows. Especially my friend Wilfredo Figueroa, the drummer and leader of the live stage band they have. He can play with the best of them. The worst part of our vacation was the day we had to leave. So I just want to say "Thank You" to the people at the Iberostar Costa Dorado for a wonderful and memorable vacation.

Room Tip: Rooms 2011 & 2012. We had 2011 and loved it. No problems at all. AC worked good, TV worked good...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank DRUMBUM718

Dear Guest Jaimie A,
In the name of Mrs. María Berbel, Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel Manager, I want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay with us. We also thank you for choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your vacations.
Thank you for highlighting out the excellent service provided by Johanna, at the Front Desk, by José Luis at the Public Relations, by Robert and Katia at the buffet, and by our Star Friends: Santa, Capuchino, Shakira, Maria, GG, Laptop, Chucky . In Iberostar we are committed to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests with the excellent service of our staff members.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Contact us before your arrival so we can help you to enjoy your next vacation among us.
Yours sincerely,

VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!