“Family holiday”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 June 2012

After reading all the reviews on TA we decided to book this resort through Sunwing.ca.

At a little over $2K for a family of 4 we couldn't have got better value for money and would strongly recommend this resort to anyone, families, couples, singles even.

Really good food, nice rooms (although we moved from the first room we were given) and most of all great staff. In a matter of days the staff knew our kids names and our preferred drinks. Just great.

The flight there was a breeze and the transfer short and well organised. Check in fast and efficient.

I don't know how full the resort was but we never had to queue for food or drinks and there were plenty of loungers around the pool and on the beach.

The beach was nicer than we expected. Although the sea was a little choppy due to the refreshing breeze, it was pleasant enough to swim in. The few hawkers selling tours etc on the beach were no bother once they realised you weren't interested.

The hotel has an area for booking tours, golf etc but we found enough to do within the resort to never leave it in our 8 days there.

The shows in the evening were just great. Not normally my kind of thing but they did a kids show around 7.30 before the main event. All the kids on the resort were encouraged to join in.

Amazing how the staff had the energy to perform these shows after spending all day running events (archery, aerobics, bingo, games in the pool etc). One of the security staff on the beach was saying that he worked from 1am to 2pm for 15 days on the trot before getting one day off. I think they deserve all the tips they get.

There are 3 a la carte restaurants in the resort. Brazilian, Mexican and International. These can be booked at 'Guest Services' in the Reception area. We tried the first two (as the Int'l doesn't open until 9.30 which is too late for our kids). They were both good but we found sufficient variety in the main buffet for our needs.

We brought about US$100 in $1 bills for tips. We tipped every few drinks and at breakfast and dinner but never felt under pressure to do so. We also left a small tip for housekeeping each day.

Our first room was ground floor behind the towel station which had no view. We moved up to the 2nd floor in block 6 which was quiet enough and had a great view from the balcony. If I had to find fault with the place it would be that the mattresses are not that comfortable but it didn't affect our enjoyment.

The pool is large enough that it never felt too busy.

There was always food and snacks available during the day until around 6pm when they start getting ready for dinner. This includes ice cream and popcorn which was great to keep the kids happy before dinner.

The place is spotless with beautiful gardens which are kept immaculate by an army of gardeners.

Overall we were delighted with our stay and plan to return next year (or earlier if we can fit it in).

A big thanks to all the staff at Iberostar Costa Dorada.

We'll see you soon.

Room Tip: Blocks 5 and 7 offer a view of the ocean. 2nd floor best for peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank petemcg180
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear petemcg180,
We want to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your destination for your family holiday. We also thank you for taking time to write your review about your visit at the Iberostar Costa Dorada.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. María Berbel, we want to express how glad we are to hear that you enjoyed your vacations with your family in our beautiful premises due to the wide gastronomical options and the excellent service from our friendly staff. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again, please contact us before your visit to help you to enjoy it.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Hi this is my first Tripadvisor review. I have decided to write one because I use Tripadvisor like the bible when I am planning my hols. I went to Iberostar Costa Dorado from 16th May to 30th May and I was travelling alone. All in all I got what I wanted out of this holiday. I went on several excursions however will review them on the seperate pages.

Check In - we were supposed to get a welcome drink but we didn't. There was a couple who had been to the hotel 7 times previous and they got all the attention. You are charged $2per day to have use of the Safe in your room, which I think is dispointing for a 5 star. I was quietly given my key and a map and towel card (My rep advised that if you loose your towel card you get charged $20). The Bell Boy then drove me round to my room and carried my heavy bag up three flights of stairs and I gave him a tip. That was check in - good job I booked with Thomson really as the welcome meeting next morning then explained everything to me and made me feel ready to have some fun. My rep was called Dindo and he was great throughout the whole trip and made it fun :) Thankyou Dindo :)

Room - My room was very large and comfortable, well cleaned every day, mini bar topped up every two days although I only really used the water. I'm not a beer drinker so would have really like wine in my fridge, no matter I just bought drinks up from bar if I wanted. My Bed was huge! Balcony was nice, TV signal and services excellent and good for if you just want to chill in your room at all the option is there. I stayed in block 3 which was completely central to everything, it was noisy some evenings but go and join in the fun your on holiday :) If you want real quiet ask to be put in block 5.

Beach - If you want crystal clear waters go to Punta Cana. I compromised on the beach because Ocean World is here and I really wanted to swim with Dolphins. So I knew the beach wasn't going to be perfect. The sand and scenery of it is beautiful and it massive, however the water is dark with seaweed. I only went in once. But I done lots of excursions and went to some of the most beatufil beaches around the island. It is windy on this beach but that is nice as it can be baking by the pool. There are a couple of sellers on the beach but they are friendly not pushy and actually made me feel quite welcome.. If I had enough money I would've bought from them they were offering braids and massages etc. This beach is satisfactory if you're happy to relax on a Sun Lounger and enjoy a Rum. The hotel also hold really good beach parties on some afternoons so keep your eye out for them very enjoyable. I highly recommend trip to Paradise Island for your perfect beach experience.

Food - The best food I've ever had on a holiday. The food is the buffet is mouthwatering. Wednesday you get Lobster and Spit Roast Pork, the crackling is to die for. Just be aware it gets dumbed down for the weekend. There is so much choice throughout the week you can't for anything at this hotel. Drinks on tap and the drinks are nice. The staff will recognise you and they are so friendly and good at what they do. They are commited to making sure you have a good time. You will most likely book the speciality restaurants but I'm telling you now they are not as good as the buffet which isn't normally how it works. One night in the Brazilean they forgot us halfway through and only served us half a meal. However the manager of the hotel made up for this by giving us all a bottle of Champagne in our rooms, so can't really complain about that, also the beef in this restaurant is so tasty which is good cause everywhere else it is bit chewy. The Mexican the starters and soup are really tasty but that's it really.

Entertainment - You got your usual holiday resort entertainment schedule archery air rifle aqua gym etc. but because there is so many people you only get 3 shots.. so if you wait until 11 for air rifle you get your 3 shots and that's it. It would be nice to make it a bit more personal. The Entertainment staff were friendly and kept me involved. If I said no they left me alone. I most enjoyed the pool games and beach parties. The beach parties had such a nice atmosphere about them and were picturesque. Evenning entertainments starts at 9.30 with a typical pre show - everybody clap your hands kind of thing. There are also more relaxing evenings where they have a band or piano and dancing in the courtyard this was nice. There is a nightclub which gets going about midnight again the entertainment crew make it a real party. There is a casino but I didn't go in as you have to pay extra. There really is something for everyone here.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank LisaAnne86
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear LisaAnne86,
We want to thank you for choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your vacations. We also thank you for taking time to write us some comments about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. Maria Berbel and her team, we want to express you how glad we are to read that you had an excellent stay thanks to our staff members and our gastronomy. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to provide the best service to our guests. We are glad to hear that our Star Friends helped to ensure you an excellent service.
We hope to see you in our premises again, please contact us to help you enjoy your next visit.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Stayed 17days April/May on a late deal, we had a good holiday, but did not feel this was a 5 star and would have been very disappointed if we had paid full price.

Marks out of 100

Rooms 90% (Maid did an excellent job)
Buffet restaurant 60% (Hot food regularly only warm, Chef's worked very hard at egg station, but still long ques)
Brazilian 90% (Excellent food and service)
Mexican 75% (Very good)
International 60% (Good)
Staff 85% (Majority were lovely and worked very hard)

Plenty of sunbeds at all times.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back of the hotel - they have NO view and are very dark.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ceeandtee467

Dear guest,
I would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel for your vacations, also for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mrs. María Berbel and her team, I would like to express how glad we are to read that you were very pleased with your trip to our hotel and at the same time we apologize for the inconveniences related to the temperature of our warm food. We are very happy to read you enjoyed the Brazilian restaurant which is the most popular at our grounds. In Iberostar we are committed to provide an excellent culinary experience. We have taken notes about your comments regarding the temperature of the meals and the service of our buffet. I have sent your concerns to our Executive Chef in order to improve in this matter.
We are here waiting for your next visit, please contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

Myself, my husband and children (aged 9, 7 and 10months) stayed at the iberostar costa dorada for 2 weeks from 13th - 27th may. We had an amazing holiday and will be returning as soon as we can! The resort is beautiful, clean and well maintained we loved the flamingos and turtles in the lobby area. We had a family room which had a huge king size bed 2 single beds and a cot for our baby there was plenty of room for us all, we had requested a ground floor room which we were given. The maids did a wonderful job of cleaning our room throughout our stay and the mini bar that was supposed to be filled every other day was filled daily and we were given extra water for our daughters bottles. The food was fantastic, so much to choose from and a lot of it freshly cooked in front of you. We particularly enjoyed the bbqs on the beach. The service we recieved in the main restaurant from francisco was outstanding he always went the extra mile.There are plenty of sun beds around the pool and the pool area is very clean as is the pool itself and the jacuzzi in the centre of the pool is nice. The beach is nothing spectacular but still nice and a great place for getting a tan as there is a breeze. There is so much to do at this resort for adults and children including archery volleyball kayaking snorkelling dance lessons aerobics as well as various other games and activities that go on around the pool area. The kids club was brilliant they did games and activities in the day and were in shows of an evening and then had a disco, my children were in snow white, grease a talent contest and the lion king (which was fantastic and even our 10 month old was in the show as baby simba). Connie from kids club is amazing my children loved her and she made their holiday even more special she was so hardworking and was always going out of her way to get the kids involved. We went on trips to ocean world and outback safari whilst we were here both are definitely worth going on.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Adelle D
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear AdelleD,
I would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Costa Dorada as the destination for your family holiday and for taking the time to post a review.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Ms. Maria Berbel and her team, I would like to express how glad we are to read your nice words towards your experience among us especially those related about the happiness of your children when playing and participating in the Lucy’s Club activities. In Iberostar we want our guest to “enjoy being a Star” and of course that includes our youngest ones. Connie and the rest of our Star Friend team are happy to know that their work left a memorable souvenir in your children’s holiday.
We will be happy to welcome you back again, please contact us before your next visit, so we can help you to enjoy it again.
With regards,

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Our vacation at the Iberostar Costa Dorado in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic was OUTSTANDING. From the room, the property, amenities, entertainment, location directly on a wonderful beach, food and service, everything was exceptional. We'll certainly return again, next time probably with our family so that they can enjoy this wonderful resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Floyd S
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Dear FloydS,
Thank you for having chosen Iberostar Costa Dorada as your destination for your holidays and for having taken time to post a review.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. María Berbel, we want to express you how satisfied we are to read that you had an “outstanding” experience among us. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our varied food, our beautiful premises, our well stocked bars and the service provided by our staff members. In Iberostar we aim to ensure a memorable stay to our beloved guests.
We are looking forward to see you again, we stay at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit,
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 3 June 2012

I will start off by saying I waited on this review as I have been trying to resolve some issues we had during our stay at this resort, but at this time it does not appear as though my issues will be resolved so I will review on based on the stay and what has happened since my stay. I stayed at this resort from April 20-26th 2012 with my wife. We are regular travelers to the caribbean and have been to 4 other Iberostar resorts and this was by far the worst one. The other were Iberostar Dominicana, Iberostar Rose Hall Beach, Iberostar Quetzal and Iberostar Paraiso Beach all of which were wonderful. The first thin that was disappointing about this place was the beach! It was just disgusting! Don't be fooled by pictures that the resort website show or that travellers show because you can take pictures that look pretty good, but when you get up close the beach is nothing, but seaweed and garbage washing up. Never even went in once! We love the beach and swimming in the ocean so that was the first let down! Check in was also a bit of an issue as we arrived at this place at 3pm, which is suppose to be check in time, but we had to wait for a room until after 5pm! After traveling all day and being up since 4am this was quite inconvenient, but we dealt with it and went to get a drink while we waited. This was the next issue! We ordered frozen pina coladas and got something that tasted sort of like one, but definitely not frozen and tasted more like lime than anything. This would have been fine if it was a one time thing, but this was the same the week. They do not have frozen drinks! They have machines that are suppose to make frozen drinks, but they are never really frozen and they all taste like lime no matter what you order. For some this won't be an issue, but when we travel to the Caribbean we expect to be drinking a variety of frozen drinks to keep cool during the day and then we usually switch to drinks on the rocks at night. Rooms were fine! Nothing special, but not an issue as we don't really spend time in them anyways. Pool area was the best thing about this place although they really should add a swim up bar. Most resorts these days have them and they are very nice to have! Food was very bland and was pretty much the same every day. Didn't matter if you ate buffet or specialty restaurants it was all the same to me! Staff overall was pretty good although annoying sometimes as they were constantly bugging you to join activities even after you kindly said no thanks! One day in particular went too far and this was one of the major issues I had with this resort and have continued to deal with among other things with their management. My wife was asked to participate in a game at the pool by a staff member and she said no thanks severe times. He then tried to grab her hand and pull her out of her chair and she continued saying no and pulling her hand away! He then literally picked her up and carried her over the the game area! This went too far! She was very upset and made it know, but not even an apology was given! As I stated to the management this would be considered assault in the U.S., but they minimized it and have not yet apologized or rectified this and our other various issues we had. We will never return to this resort and after dealing with management here I am unsure whether we will ever return to an Iberostar, which is unfortunate as we enjoyed our other stays!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank shaq12s
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear shaq12s,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mrs. María Berbel, I want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay at the Iberostar Costa Dorada. We also thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as a destination for your vacations.
We want to express how deeply sorry we are to read that we could not fulfill all your expectations regarding our excellent service and quality of our gastronomy. We apologize for the inconveniences related to your stay at our premises. In Iberostar one of our basic principles is to provide the best service and serve an excellent quality of food and beverages. We are sorry to hear that you left our premises with an opposite idea in your mind. Once again we apologize for all inconveniences that you may have encountered while you were among us.
I assure you that all your suggestions and concerns have been sent to the involved departments, and we will be taking measures to avoid future incidences.
We kindly invite you to give us a chance you welcome you back in the future and show you our improvements. You can contact us to further assistance.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

I went to this hotel for two weeks from May 17th, after reading some of the reviews on here I was a little worried however I didn't find much wrong with the hotel at all (and I can be really picky).

Check in:
This was done for us on the coach from the airport, everyone on the bus was given their hotel documents, room key, towel key, wristband etc... this was great as it saved time the only thing you had to do when you got there was queue for the safe code if you wanted to use it, although the welcome drink helped with this process. (On a Thomas Cook AI the safe isn't included and costs $2 per day)

Room:
I had room 9017 which was the block closest to reception, I was a little apprehensive about this as I have a mobility problem so was concerned about how far away the pool was however in this hotel nothing is that far away, I managed without any problems and being in the 9000 block I was really close to the evening entertainment, you could hear the music on an evening from the band in the courtyard but it was at a background music level rather than being really loud stopping you from hearing the TV etc. if you wanted to.
I had no musty room smell or anything like that despite some of the reviews on here and no one I spoke to had anything like that either.

Pool:
Great! I can't say too many good things about it, the steps might prove a challenge for some people as the last step was quite high when you were getting out but I managed it without issue. The staff were always getting leaves etc. out and polishing it to make sure it was at its best and there a few places to sit within the water as well which was refreshing in the sun. Only thing I can say that is a little negative is that there seemed to be a lot of chlorine in the pool which wasn't detectable via smell/eyes etc...but my bikinis have a greenish tinge to them so I’d recommend taking a small amount of soap powder if you have light coloured swimwear. (Now everything has been washed at home the green has come off without a problem) Mount Isabella in the background makes for good scenery when you’re in the pool

Entertainment Team Star Friends:
Well what can I say about these guys? They never stop working for the 15 hours that they are within the complex, I went on holiday alone and without a doubt the star friends made my holiday what it was there are so many things that you can join in with from Archery to Horseshoe, Crazy Pool Games (including Pool Dominos) to Bingo.
Gi Gi, Maria, Santa, SexyFace, Laptop, Shakira and Chucky, I cannot thank you enough for the welcome you gave me and the fun that you all created during my stay you guys are brilliant and I hope to be back next year to see you again!!

Food:
Something for everyone I never went hungry only thing is that sometimes the food isn’t piping hot however it’s a buffet so that can be expected there is so much choice whether you eat in the main restaurant or the speciality restaurants. I quite enjoyed the Mexican speciality, the Brazilian was ok however I'm not a huge meat fan so for people that love large amounts of meat this is the place for you. My favourite by far was the Seafood restaurant down by the pool, I went 3 times and was never disappointed by the food, the lobster soup was delicious and the choice of main meals was great as well as the buffet selection of breaded crab claws etc.
Main Buffet: Some evenings they do theme nights of Chinese, Mexican and Dominican. The highlight for me was Wednesday night when it was Lobster night however, regardless of the night there is something for everyone I can't imagine that, due to the choice, there would be anyone who was unable to find something that they'd like.
Pool Bar/Buffet: Great for lighter lunches during the day including Ice Cream machine, Popcorn machine and things like Nachos, Pizza, Fish etc...
During my time at the hotel there were a couple of Beach BBQ's and also a Paella party by the pool.
There is no room service facility but you can get food during the night from the main restaurant and the Mexican (11pm-6am I think)

Staff: Great from Reception, To the Cleaners, Gardeners to Maintenance guys (who fixed a significant leak by my air-conditioning unit within an hour which involved taking a large part of the bathroom ceiling down) The staff in the restaurants were great, I was never left waiting for a drink and the bar staff were so friendly and made great drinks, and tended to remember your order (alcohol wasn't watered down at all)

Beach:
Was nice, a lot of trees on the beach although the sand got really hot flip flops are a must! There was a bit of seaweed around but it’s a beach so I expected there would be! In all honestly didn't spend a huge amount of time on the beach, was easier for me to be around the pool

Shows:
Lion King was outstanding, most of the shows were really good Iberogrammy was funny, mainly due to Laptop and GiGi! The ice breaker shows always gave a good laugh and the dancers were really good.

Courtyard/Main Bar:
Both lovely places to sit with both Turtles and Flamingos nearby, the courtyard was a beautiful place to sit on an evening lots of seats available and the music of the band floating over you, pretty much perfect.

All in all, I wouldn’t hesitate in going back, the hotel wasn’t quite as good as the previous iberostar I’ve stayed in (Iberostar Quetzal, Mexico) but I had a brilliant holiday, I travelled alone met a lot of great people and wish I was still there.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Gillie86
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear gues guilli86,
I would like to thank for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience during your stay at Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel. In the name of Ms. Maria Berbel, Hotel Manager, and her team, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We are very satisfied to know that your experience at our hotel was perfect thanks to our Star Friends team, as you wrote at the title of your review. We really appreciate your nice comments about their friendliness as well as the wide range of activities that they offer daily and nightly. In Iberostar we aim to ensure an unforgettable holiday to our beloved guests. we are pleased to hear that they helped us to accomplish our goal.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again, please contact us before your next visit, Kindest regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Plata
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!