After reading all the reviews on TA we decided to book this resort through Sunwing.ca.
At a little over $2K for a family of 4 we couldn't have got better value for money and would strongly recommend this resort to anyone, families, couples, singles even.
Really good food, nice rooms (although we moved from the first room we were given) and most of all great staff. In a matter of days the staff knew our kids names and our preferred drinks. Just great.
The flight there was a breeze and the transfer short and well organised. Check in fast and efficient.
I don't know how full the resort was but we never had to queue for food or drinks and there were plenty of loungers around the pool and on the beach.
The beach was nicer than we expected. Although the sea was a little choppy due to the refreshing breeze, it was pleasant enough to swim in. The few hawkers selling tours etc on the beach were no bother once they realised you weren't interested.
The hotel has an area for booking tours, golf etc but we found enough to do within the resort to never leave it in our 8 days there.
The shows in the evening were just great. Not normally my kind of thing but they did a kids show around 7.30 before the main event. All the kids on the resort were encouraged to join in.
Amazing how the staff had the energy to perform these shows after spending all day running events (archery, aerobics, bingo, games in the pool etc). One of the security staff on the beach was saying that he worked from 1am to 2pm for 15 days on the trot before getting one day off. I think they deserve all the tips they get.
There are 3 a la carte restaurants in the resort. Brazilian, Mexican and International. These can be booked at 'Guest Services' in the Reception area. We tried the first two (as the Int'l doesn't open until 9.30 which is too late for our kids). They were both good but we found sufficient variety in the main buffet for our needs.
We brought about US$100 in $1 bills for tips. We tipped every few drinks and at breakfast and dinner but never felt under pressure to do so. We also left a small tip for housekeeping each day.
Our first room was ground floor behind the towel station which had no view. We moved up to the 2nd floor in block 6 which was quiet enough and had a great view from the balcony. If I had to find fault with the place it would be that the mattresses are not that comfortable but it didn't affect our enjoyment.
The pool is large enough that it never felt too busy.
There was always food and snacks available during the day until around 6pm when they start getting ready for dinner. This includes ice cream and popcorn which was great to keep the kids happy before dinner.
The place is spotless with beautiful gardens which are kept immaculate by an army of gardeners.
Overall we were delighted with our stay and plan to return next year (or earlier if we can fit it in).
A big thanks to all the staff at Iberostar Costa Dorada.
We'll see you soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 498 Double Rooms and 18 spacious Junior Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata