“fantastic holiday”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 April 2008

My husband and myself are not for traveling but were given a gift from our children to Iberostar from March 27 to April 3/08 all inclusive. After reading the reviews we were really apprehensive. However we were astonished but the beauty of the resort, helpfull staff, great food. If you did not want the buffet you could have either Mexican, Brazilian or tropical. The waiters and waitresses were all dressed in prespective attire for which ever resturant we woud go into. The rooms were so clean, the staff were terrific. For the family who said that construction started at 6am every morning I was down there at the same time and I don't know where you were but I certainally didn't see or hear any construction. Unless you call sitting on grass roofs and securing by hand palm to the top to be construction?????? If there was any problem with your room all you would have to do is go to the front d esk and ask to change your room. Did you at least try that before terrifying any other people f rom going to the Iberostar in Puerto Plata. I had a problem with spraying rooms while we were still there. We did not have our rooms sprayed. We had a couple of mosquitos but they didn't bother us so we left them alone and didn't complaine. When we left we picked up passangers from the plaza dorota area and was so thankful we had the iberostar, they were roudy. The beach was beautiful and we saw only one person on the beach wanting to sell tours. The iberostar always had security around. If you wanted to be pestered by peddlers than you actually had to look for them. I would go again next year only I would bring more suntan lotion, I brought 2 but should have taken 4 for 8 days. By the way the food was great, they served every type of food you could imagine. Good luck and don't listen to those reviews, this is holiday at a 5 star hotel in the domenican.

enjoy

Rita

7  Thank mookiemississauga

Reviewed 10 April 2008

My stay at ICD was a delight. The resort grounds are beautiful, the rooms actually are better in person then in the site pictures. The staff was very welcoming and the tours really give you a great chance to see the real Dominican Republic . I truly enjoyed the food, and the nightly entertainment. The pool is large and beautiful however closes at 7:00pm which to me is a bit early. The beach is nice, not the best beach in the world but I never saw it dirty. Its an average tropical beach with a great view of the mountains. The resort really had everything a resort can offer for a great price. This resort is best for family's and large groups and its the perfect place to relax.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Destined28
Reviewed 7 April 2008

We spent 6 nights at this resort and were not impressed. Our room was decent, however our balcony overlooked a construction site. Not only was this not exactly a great view, they started working at about 6am everyday, and the noise was horrible. I don't expect to have to wake up earlier on vacation than I would to go to work! The majority of the meal options on the resort are buffet. I've been to some pretty good buffets on vacation (i.e. cruises), and this was far from good! Most nights I didn't even see anything worth trying, and what I did try usually turned out to be less than satisfactory. And, speaking of food, my husband and I both ended up very ill by the last night of the vacation and spent most of the last night in the bathroom.

On the brighter side, the pool looked nice, though in February the water was so cold that didn't actually use it. There were plenty of beach chairs, both around the pool and on the beach. The beach was very nice - very large and there was a very nice breeze most of the time which felt great in the hot sun.

If you are planning a trip here, I would definitely request one of the rooms on the side of the resort that faces some very nice gardens and then an open field past that. And watch out for the buffets - it would be worth it to try to get reservations in their few restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ldblair
Reviewed 7 April 2008

My boyfriend and I have just returned from 1 week at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and following some poor reports on this hotel i felt the need to review our latest stay at the hotel.

We have been previously (New Year 2005 & June 2004) and also visited the hotel in July 2003 as friends were staying there whilst we were elsewhere.

Every aspect of the hotel was as amazing as it was previously. The rooms were spotlessly clean and maintained to a very high standard daily. The restaurants had plently of choice, with the occassional beach or pool barbeque a few times per week. The drinks selection was vast and potent, just ask for more if you want them stronger still!

The staff were helpful and courteous, always having time to chat about how you were enjoying your stay in the hotel and Dominican.

In the evening we got a table in the courtyard area and were served by a waitress all evening, not having to go to the bar once nearly all holiday! From there you were able to see the main show as well as be near the bands that played twice during our holiday. I would recommend this.

Overall this is the best hotel i have stayed in whilst on holiday in the Carribean. I would recommend it highly, and I'm a tough customer to please!

11  Thank FergieKilmarnock
Reviewed 7 April 2008

Having been to many of the Iberostar hotels in the past , I was very concerned about all the negative reviews about the ICD beforehand. We have just returned and thought that the hotel was fine - certainly not as good as some of the Iberostars but good enough - I would not be put off going there so if anyone is reading this and is worried as I was - do not hesitate in going . However I can understand some of the reviewers` concerns - not necessarily the same concerns as I had - I found the drinks to be fine - no evidence of anything being watered down - but then again we don`t particicularly like very strong drinks . The beach was OK - really not bothered by the seaweed itself and the beach was huge compared to some beaches . The awful thing for us was the weather - we were obviously very unlucky as it rained torrentially for much of our weeks stay - nobody`s fault of course but it does tend to cloud your opinion of a holiday . One thing we did find was that the Star friends - although friendly did not seem to cater for the bad weather - I would have thought they could have organised games round the pool or do the ` movie plays` that we have seen in other resorts - the only pool games we saw were as we were leaving and the sun came out .
Anyway - we would probably not go back as there are nicer hotels elsewhere - but if you have booked - don`t be worried as you will no doubt have a great holiday

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank percussion
Reviewed 7 April 2008

At the beginning of this year my boyfriend and I booked to stay at the Iberostar for 2 weeks for my 21st Birthday. We decided to stay here because I had stayed here before 6 years ago and remebered the food to be good for an All Inclusive.

Before our holiday we had contacted the hotel to request a nice room. We were not disappointed when we arrived. We were given a room in the block closest to the beach, we didn't have a sea view room, although you could see part of the beach and the pool area from the balcony. This was also good because it ment that we were furthest away from the evening entertainment, so noise was never a problem.

I have read some other reviews on this hotel that complain about the litter on the beach. Let me just say that the beach is shared between several hotels, each hotel has its own part of the beach. The Iberostar's part is always kept clean and tidy, even when I stayed here six years ago we used to see the staff driving along the beach collecting up all of the washed up seaweed just to keep it looking clean. I admit the beach is covered in litter beyond the point that belongs to the Iberostar, however there is a sign at the end of the Iberostar's beach that basically says to proceed at your own risk.

The Iberostar has 3 a la carte restaurants, Tropical, Mexican and Brazilian. If you love your meat Brazilian is the one for you (this was my fave). The normal buffet restaurant is great too always a wide choice of foods available. Food is available 24hrs a day which we found great after a long night clubbing.

Another aspect of this hotel which was unbeatable was the staff, maids turned over the rooms every day, our maid did not speak much English but she was always polite and smiled. Our waiter Nelson in the main restaurant was really chatty and always fought to wait on us. Also the bar staff were chatty and used to create new cocktails for us to try. The Star Friends (entertainment staff) are great, Mickey Mouse, Superman and Scooby Doo were always trying their hardest to get us involved in the activities throughout the day. I think they work the hardest because after an action packed day they then provide the evening entertainment on the stage, and are still about late at the hotels night club Route 66.

The club was fantastic for us, because all we wanted to do at night was get drunk and dance. We were a little disappointed that it closed at 2am though. But that is obviously so the other guests can get some sleep.

The last thing I will talk about is the excursions, there is so much to see and do you will never cram it all in. This year we only done the Dolphin Swin at Ocean World, I done this on my birthday. I would fully recommend it. It is great being so close to these beautiful creatures. However I felt that the DVD and Photos of our swim were over priced. But I bought everything anyway you can't do something like that and not have any photos of it. When I went 6 years ago I also experienced Paradise Island and Monster Trucks, both of which are still available. Paradise island is fantastic, however make sure you take alot of sun block you are on the Island for a few hours in direct sunlight with no shelter. And the monster trucks was great, only do it if you are up for a laugh, you will get wet!!! But I am also pleased to say that all the time you are getting drenched, you are also getting drunk on Rum and Coke!! Both of these excusions include food and alcohol, which is what we love!!

Returning to this hotel was great, it was all exactly as I had remembered. I will definately be returning sometime in the near future for a 3rd time!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gem2287
Reviewed 6 April 2008

Spent two weeks at the ICD with my husband. We are in our late twenties/early thirties and have both been to several other 4/5 star hotels in the caribbean. We were originally supposed to be going to Kenya, however due to the problems there our holiday was cancelled. Being limited to the dates we could travel (during UK school Easter hols) we did not have many options as to which destinations to go to. We visited the Dominican Republic 4 years ago (stayed at the Gran Ventana in Playa Dorada) and having enjoyed our holiday there decided that we would return, but this time to a different hotel just because we like to go to new places.
We had read reviews on tripadvisor before travelling and did not expect a 5 star hotel. We both agreed however that it was a satisfactory 4 star hotel when comparing it to other caribbean hotels we have stayed at. It was certainly good value for money.
There was no check in at the hotel as we were given room cards, towel cards, maps etc on the bus on the way to the hotel. Great after a long flight!
Our room was fine. No better or worse than other hotels. It was clean and the maid service was very good. Was surprised to read that some people complained about the air con. If anything our room was too cold when it was on.
We did have a few mosquitoes in our room when we first got there. This was probably because the air con had been switched off before our arrival. The room was fumigated twice during our stay and this got rid of them. However, if you don't like bugs I would not recommend visiting any caribbean country. My husband and I nearly wet ourselves laughing at the reaction of the american who had a cockroach in the room next door to us. Sure, they are not very pleasant, but think you have to expect bugs in hot, humid countries.
The hotel grounds were well looked after and very pleasant. The pool was huge, although quite cold and so only braved it a couple of times. Around the pool it seemed very busy and noisy so we never spent ant time there. Always found a sunbed either on the beach or in the area between the beach and the pool. There were plenty of beds in the sun or in the shade. No need to reserve them, although people did. The star friends would encourage people to take part in activities, but if they know you are not intereseted are not too pushy.
We were pleasantly surprised with the food. I am a vegetarian and usually struggle a lot on holiday. My husband likes meat and fish a lot. Both of us thought the food in the buffet restaurants was very good for an all inclusive. Breakfast was what you would expect. We usually had lunch at the snack bar as we were too lazy to put clothes on for the main restaurant. Both were good. The main restaurant was quieter and had more choice though. The lunch and dinner buffets had plenty of choice with different types of potato, vegetables, cooked meats, stews, pizza, pasta, salad, fresh bread, soup, cheeses. Service was usually very good. The wine was not very good, but drinkable. We ate at the mexican restaurant twice and the tropical once. We would have eaten at the Brazilian but they do not provide anything vegetarian. Both of the a la carte restaurants were fine. Nothing spectacular, but different and made a change from the buffet.
We particularly liked the self serve drink stations and ice cream machine and the popcorn machine in the afternoon was great too.
Many people have criticised the beach. We thought it was fine, but knew before travelling that it does not have white sand or the warm ocean that other caribbean resorts have. It was cleaned daily from the rubbish that tourists dropped and the seaweed. We did not find the sea to be dirty, just too cold and quite rough. We walked up the beach to Playa Dorada and preferred our stretch of beach.
We do not like hotel entertainment and so did not watch most of it. However, it looked like they tried hard.
Overall, we thought that the hotel was good and for the price we paid thought it was good value for money. There were a few minor gripes. For example, the hairdryer in the bathroom was rubbish. Things like that don't spoil a holiday for us though. It was also quite busy and noisy and not the hotel for you if you want peace and quiet.. Will not go back to DR as there are so many other places in the world to visit, but would recommend the ICD to others. Just don't go with too high expectations. It is not paradise. We would however consider staying at an Iberostar hotel somewhere else.

6  Thank holidayzqueen
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!