Just got back from the DR (May1 - May 7 2014). Stayed for a week at Iberostar Costa Dorada. Like you, I searched the reviews focused on the negative and got my head spinning, so I came up with a method to hone in on the best candidates. First, all the negative comments you read regardless of the hotel are all the same. They key is what percentage of reviews are poor or terrible. When you look at things in this manner, it makes it much easier. Iberostar has a very low negative rating and that is why my family and I went there. We were not disappointed.
The grounds were beautiful, the rooms clean and well kept. We stayed in a seaview room which is well worth the extra few dollars.
Check-in and check-out like all resorts never seems to go as fast as you would like, but the staff worked as fast as they could and opened up reception and either check-in or check-out stations as needed.
If you go hungry, it is your own fault. There was plenty of food and a wide enough variety to meet the vast majority of people's expectations. Surprisingly, the specialty restaurants (we were at the International and Brazilian) were excellent. For the first time ever, I did not have to wander over to the buffet to fill up that empty spot in my belly.
The staff were extremely helpful and almost everyone spoke very good English.
The beach has a bit of everything. There is sandy portions and reef portions, so you can swim or snorkel. Depending on the wind, you will find that the sea responds accordingly, but at no time were we not able to swim (caution for the little ones on those windy days). As for the pool, it is great for everyone and segregated to keep kids from well... the older kids.
We didn't get a chance to see the entertainment as it started at 9:30pm and we had a 2 year old with us. The day time entertainment was well attended and looked to be a bunch of fun.
To sum things up, there is as much or as little to do at iberostar costa dorada - your choice.
Final note on the vendors, we got hassled a tad on the first day, but they were nothing to those in Samana.
Great job! to the management and staff - we had a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 498 Double Rooms and 18 spacious Junior Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata