“Great Place - If you are disappointed, it likely you”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great Place - If you are disappointed, it likely you”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just got back from the DR (May1 - May 7 2014). Stayed for a week at Iberostar Costa Dorada. Like you, I searched the reviews focused on the negative and got my head spinning, so I came up with a method to hone in on the best candidates. First, all the negative comments you read regardless of the hotel are all the same. They key is what percentage of reviews are poor or terrible. When you look at things in this manner, it makes it much easier. Iberostar has a very low negative rating and that is why my family and I went there. We were not disappointed.

The grounds were beautiful, the rooms clean and well kept. We stayed in a seaview room which is well worth the extra few dollars.

Check-in and check-out like all resorts never seems to go as fast as you would like, but the staff worked as fast as they could and opened up reception and either check-in or check-out stations as needed.

If you go hungry, it is your own fault. There was plenty of food and a wide enough variety to meet the vast majority of people's expectations. Surprisingly, the specialty restaurants (we were at the International and Brazilian) were excellent. For the first time ever, I did not have to wander over to the buffet to fill up that empty spot in my belly.

The staff were extremely helpful and almost everyone spoke very good English.

The beach has a bit of everything. There is sandy portions and reef portions, so you can swim or snorkel. Depending on the wind, you will find that the sea responds accordingly, but at no time were we not able to swim (caution for the little ones on those windy days). As for the pool, it is great for everyone and segregated to keep kids from well... the older kids.

We didn't get a chance to see the entertainment as it started at 9:30pm and we had a 2 year old with us. The day time entertainment was well attended and looked to be a bunch of fun.

To sum things up, there is as much or as little to do at iberostar costa dorada - your choice.

Final note on the vendors, we got hassled a tad on the first day, but they were nothing to those in Samana.

Great job! to the management and staff - we had a great time.

Room Tip: Seaview if you can get them otherwise pool view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Ed H
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
First at all, we thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holidays and for taking time to write a positive review about your stay among us.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we would like to express how glad we are to read that you and your family enjoyed a great time. We appreciate your motivating lines referring the friendliness of our staff members, the beauty of our premises, the activities for daily and nightly entertainment and the variety of our gastronomy. In IBEROSTAR we are committed to ensure memorable experiences to our beloved guests.
We are waiting for your next visit and please do not hesitate to contact us prior your arrival.
With best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,281)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
montreal
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Beautiful resort. Actually give it a 9/10. The grounds are very well kept, the orchid garden is worth a visit. The beach has a lot of shade when needed. There are some reefs and algae but it is easy to find a nice area to swim. The pool is huge and very beautiful. The buffet is delicious, the a la carte restaurants ok- best was Brazilian, International and less good was the Mexican. The staff is simply incredible at this resort. We have been to many resorts in the DR and this was by far the best! I hope I am getting these names right. Medina, Estheisse, Santos and Sarita at the buffet, Isodro at the pool bar and Felipe at the Lobby bar are great. The animation team does a fantastic job and easily convince us to participate in anything! Thanks to Huluhulu, Popoye and the ladies. Also a big thanks to Andrea and Johnny at the dive center. Teh spa is delicious. S nice to relax in the tubs and Turkish bath. The small irks are the following: the room really needs updating, the musty smell is potent, the room safe and wifi should be included. This is expected when you book a five star hotel. Last but not least, and I did not let it influence my rating. The resort was filled with locals on our last weekend. I am fine with that, they have every right to come. Only thing is that most of them were about 18 years old. They were inappropriate, vomited in the pool, pissed on the grounds, were knocking on doors at night waking us up, butting in line at the buffet, walking right into you. Not cool.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank sophMontreal
Dear guest,
In the name of Mr. Alberto Herrera, Hotel Manager, we want to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holiday and for taking time to write a review about your experience.
In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests. In order to achieve our goal we are committed to upkeep our premises, to offer an exquisite gastronomy and to provide the best service to our beloved guests. We are very pleased to acknowledge that we could accomplish our goal with you during your visit. We welcome your suggestions and have shared them with the corresponding departmental heads.
We are looking forward to welcome you back, please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you for your next visit.
With regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel was exellent, rooms are large with very comfy beds, ice cold aircon, mini bar restocked daily, premium spirits served at bars, staff are so friendly, will go out there way to help you, a special metion to star member hula hula works all day, one day I recall seeing him at 10 am doing step aerobic and still there at 11pm dancing the merengue always with a big smile on his face, beware of taxis from hotel if a guide try's getting in at security gate then just get out, you will be stuck with him all day, good selection of food only negative would be wish they could cook an omelette as each day at breakfast would not leave it on hot plate long enough, which was a shame because it's really tasty till your greeted by raw egg white, nice beachfront location about 20 min walk to plaza, where you will find James at a bar called king of beers, has the best prices for excursions, white water rafting was awesome, would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Kevt29
Dear guest,
Thank you for posting a review about your experience at IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
On behalf of Mr. Alberto Herrera, hotel Manager, we would like to express you our satisfaction to acknowledge your positive and motivating valuation about our hotel premises, gastronomy, entertainment and excellent service which ensured you a perfect vacation. In IBEORSTAR we aim to ensure memorable holidays to our valuable costumers.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for further assistance prior your next visit.
Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to take a week vacation here, and i have to say for my first All Inclusive i wasn't dissapointed. The staff were welcoming and very polite. The Entertainment and Entertainment staff always made you feel apart of everything that was going on and really encouraged you to join in on the fun.

Only a few complaints really which have very little to do with the hotel. The beach had seeweed but not enough to make you not want to swim in it. The buffets were palatable but could use a bit more fine tuning taste wise. The room was a touch damp, and having to pay for the safe was a bit annoying but really in the grand scheme of things i would definitely go back to this hotel if/when im ever in Puerto Plata again!

Room Tip: Definitely do the activities, especially the Archery, Air RIfle shooting and the Kyak and turing dow...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jason B
Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Alberto Herrera, we thank you for posting a review about your experience and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
We want to express you how satisfied we are to acknowledge that our goal was accomplished during your visit to our hotel. In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure unforgettable experiences to our valuable costumers.
We are waiting for your next visit and remain at your disposition for any further assistance prior your next visit.
Best regards,
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We recently spent a week at the Iberostar Costa Dorada and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We stayed at a Sandals in St. Lucia last year for our honeymoon and decided to celebrate our first anniversary with another trip. I had to remind myself not to compare the two, considering Sandals probably has the upper hand in the all-inclusive vacation thing over many others.

The staff was relatively friendly but not all were fluent in English, so we only really engaged a few in conversation. We changed rooms upon arrival so we could have an ocean view and were happy with the size of the room and bathroom. The king-size bed was not the most comfortable and reminded me of a bed from a cheap motel. The maid service was excellent in terms of keeping the room very clean, but as we got closer to our departure date I had to ask for bath towels and our last day and a half we ran out of tissues, nearly ran out of toilet paper and beer stocked in our small fridge went from four to one by the last day. The resort is very clean and the staff works hard to keep it that way.

There are three "specialty" restaurants were you have to make reservations for dinner with Guest Services between 9am and noon, along with a buffet where reservations are not required. In all honesty, I found the buffet to the best choice by far. The specialty restaurants weren't all that special, in my opinion, and the food was just okay. The buffet offered a variety each day, including fried rice and sushi, which were delicious. It was also excellent for breakfast and lunch. The service at the specialty restaurants was spotty and the not all the wait staff was overly friendly. I found the service at the buffet much better and friendlier.

We went to the spa for a massage, body wrap and facial. They try to get you to up your service and spend more when you book your spa treatments. The woman at the desk was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately during a foot massage I had a little pain at the top of the my foot and when we left the spa I told my husband my foot hurt. I had to take my time walking and when I stepped out of the water at the beach I felt something shift in my foot. Needless to say, I came home with a fractured bone in my foot and am now in an aircast. I'm not saying not to get spa treatments, just maybe avoid a foot massage. I did return to the spa for a wash and blow dry later in the week and was thrilled with the job the stylist did.

The beach was very clean and was the preferred place to hang out because there were too many kids at the pool and much less at the beach. There are no adult-only areas at the resort (which was disappointing) and kids were even at the beach bar, which was annoying.

The evening entertainment was very good and we enjoyed spending time at the lobby bar and even ventured into the nightclub one night (it opens at 11pm) and that was also fun.

The resort is beautiful with a very large pool, well-kept property and a gorgeous lobby. If you are looking to do excursions visit Elvis in the lobby, as he was extremely helpful and planned a great all-day excursion to Paradise Island for our anniversary. Despite a couple things I know we would definitely return to the Costa Dorada...all in all it was money well spent and we had an amazing time!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cg567
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for posting your experience at IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada on Tripadvisor.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera; we would like to express how glad we are to acknowledge that our value for money and the excellent service provided by our staff in all areas of our premises has ensured you another memorable experience in an IBEROSTAR hotel. In Iberostar we aim to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests. We are sorry to hear that you left our premises with an opposite idea in mind. For your negative comments we will certainly take an objective approach to ascertain how best we can rectify these according to our IBEROSTAR Standards. We hope that you have a very well recovery.
We are looking forward to welcome you once again; please do not hesitate to contact us before your next vacation.
With best regards
New Minas, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This resort has gorgeous grounds, didn't mind the seaweed and reefs on the beach as you could walk around them, but also me and my partner like to snorkel so it was great for seeing fish! The buffet was spectacular, food was excellent, staff was great, always tended to your needs. The Brazilian was my favorite A la carte, skewers were excellent, but service was nothing compared to the buffet, which was a surprise. The Mexican was good, but you could have the same food at the buffet on Mexican night. The international was the worst a la carte, there was mainly only seafood selections and the service was terrible. The bar tender there and an older gentlemen waiter were very kind, but our younger waiter never responded when we spoke to him, including when we said thank you, numerous times, mainly trying to get him to at least be pleasant. We ended up leaving before desert because we were so upset with the service, and the food and heading to the buffet. The pool is beautiful, beach is as well. The little market up the beach is great, didn't feel like we were hassled too much. The staff working in guest services were excellent, which surprised us because the staff working at the front desk were rude and didn't seem to care about the guests and there needs. LOGAN at the front desk was amazing, and turned around our experience with the other two females, rosemarie and the younger one- who was extraordinarily rude. It was sad, because these persons are your first experience at the hotel and they are not the people who should be in these positions. As I said before however, Logan at the front desk was amazing, so anytime we ever needed anything we just asked him. The rooms were decent, I'm not expecting San Francisco five star, and I've stayed at many resorts and I can't complain about the room. It was clean and comfortable, no insects and fridge was always stocked. Who spends a lot of time in their room anyways? The cleaning ladies and supervisors were excellent, very appreciative and efficient, they work hard. I would definitely return to this resort, my only complaints were the a la cartes, and the reception staff. Other than that it was excellent, and thoroughly enjoyable. Hopefully these few things will improve when we return next year!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank KaylaJeff2014
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we want to thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay with us and for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your family vacations.
We are very happy to read you and your family enjoyed from a memorable holiday. We extend our apologies for all and any inconveniences related to the breakdown on the service on the restaurants and reception while you were on our premises. We welcome your feedback concerning our cuisine at the international restaurant; it has been shared with our Executive Chef for which he is thankful. In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure our valuable costumers like you to “enjoy being a Star” as Logan did while you were on vacations.
We kindly invite you to give us a new visit in which we will show you our improvements; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.
Kindest regards,
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Been a few years since i traveled there, but a vacation i will never forget. I'm not sure if it was because it was my first real vacation or it was as beautiful as i remember. The staff were so nice and so appreciative of all their tips and gifts we gave them. The resort was so clean and kept up, the food was really good, and the rooms were so nice. The night life and entertainment was some of the best i've saw in my travels. The only downside of the whole vacation was the beach wasn't the nicest i've ever seen, but the workers there tried so hard to keep the seaweed and debris off the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nefie9600
Dear guest,
In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests. In order to achieve our goal we are committed to upkeep our premises, to offer an exquisite gastronomy and to provide the best service to our beloved guests. We are very pleased to acknowledge that we could accomplish our goal with you during your visit, especially with the variety of our night life and entertainment.
With regards,
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#6 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Grand Palladium Bavaro Suites Resort & Spa

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!