“Above average all inclusive”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've stayed at several all inclusive resorts in Cuba and the Dominican Republic, and this one seemed to be above average. We were shocked that there were very few people on the beach, and there was never a concern about finding shade. There was seaweed, but it could easily be avoided to enjoy the nice water. (Easter weekend)

The food was good, and I especially enjoyed the nacho bar (the pico was delicious). We went to the Brazilian and Mexican restaurants and while the food was basically the same as the buffet, we enjoyed the change in atmosphere.

The room was definitely clean (no bugs at all), and our maid was generous in giving us extra bottled water.

If you like a good mojito, be sure to grab it early in the day - they often ran out of mint. Drinks and service were always good though.

When you are used to going to all inclusives, you start to know what to expect - and that's what you get here. All in all, above average though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Costa Dorada

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have been to the Dominican Republic 4 times this is not a luxury holiday in the slightest.i would give this hotel a 2* and that's being nice. It's was constantly dirty the food was always the same and the rooms were horrific.we moved as there were loose plugs hanging from the wall.in the 2nd room we had the air-con unit fell from the roof and no one come to check we were ok knowing there was a 1yr old in our room.the hotel was awful this is an honest opinion the management didn't care either they made up excuses for everything instead of trying to resolve problems for you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Iain Mark C
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for posting a review about your experience at the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada and for choosing our hotel for your holidays.
On behalf of Mr. Alberto Herrera, Hotel Manager, we want to express you our regret to read that the beauty and cleanness of our hotel premise, our exquisite gastronomy and the excellent service of our staff did not meet your expectations. On the other hand, we apologize for any inconveniences you might have experienced during your holidays among us. In IBEROSTAR we are committed to ensure a memorable experience to our beloved guest with an excellent service and a varied gastronomy. We are sorry to hear that you left our hotel premises with an opposite idea in mind.
We remain at your disposition in case you decide to visit us once again.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada from 12-26th April. This was our 11th visit to the Dominican Republic but our first to this hotel. We stayed here as we had heard this was one of the best on the North Coast. The hotel provided everything for a great holiday. We upgraded to an Ocean View Suite with perfect views and a quiet room.

The animation team worked really hard and were great fun it was lovely to see Dee Dee again, we also made new friends in Tekila, Popeye, Jonathan, Chocolate, Pepsi Cola and Hula Hula. We were there during Samana Santa, the hotel was very busy for a few days as the locals joined us for fun and partying, That was one of the highlights for us, although I don't think it was for many.

Isidro and Angel at the Pool Bar were wonderful and made sure we were topped up. Yorki in the lobby bar keep the champagne coming.

The grounds of the hotel are lovely with peacocks, flamingos and Mrs Turtle.

We didn't eat that much during the evening but the buffet restaurant for breakfast was great, lots of choice and thank you to Sarita for looking us after us every day.

My main criticism of this hotel is that it lacked some Dominican personality. I could have been anywhere in the world. We still had a great holiday and met some wonderful people but the hotel was missing that little something.

I was also disappointed that there was no Brugal rum in the hotel at all during our stay.

We hired a car and went off the tourist trail and had a ball. Beware though, this is not for the faint hearted, driving is VERY different to UK, US or European standards.

Don't be afraid of walking along the beach, yes, there are locals trying to make a living but if you really don't want to look then just say No gracias politely, they get the message.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracypee

Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays and for taking time to write a review about your experience at IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada.
On behalf of Mr. Alberto Herrera, we want to express you our gratitude for the positive valuation about the beauty of our premises and the excellent service provided by our friendly staff (especially those that you have mentioned).
On the other hand, in IBEROSTAR we are always open to listen to the suggestions, concerns and comments from our valuable costumers since they are the reason why we work in IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts. We have shared your with our departmental heads.
We kindly invite you to give us a new visit; please contact us before your arrival.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The resort, food and amenities were fine. The food does not compare to the Riu or the Grand Bahia but was edible. The rooms were okay and we did not see any bugs. The bars were generally well stocked and service was fairly quick, though service was much better for those who tipped generously.

The biggest problem we had began three days into our trip. The resort offered a very discounted rate to a large group of local young men (they seemed to be around 18-20 years old). These guests constantly hissed, hollered, and yelled at women, especially young women. I felt uncomfortable walking around the resort and spent undue time avoiding these groups of men. Hotel staff did nothing to prevent the hollering. Three members of our group complained to management to no avail.

We also experienced two thefts. I had my wallet stolen one night at the snack bar. Another woman we met had her passport, wallet and money stolen. When we reported the thefts, management seemed nonplussed.

I felt unsafe and uncomfortable for half of my vacation (4 days out of 7). I made it very clear to the holler-ers that I was not interested in their advances. I would not recommend this resort for any woman who does not wish to be sexually harassed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Laura M

Dear guest,
On behalf of Mr. Alberto Herrera, Hotel Manager, we thank you choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada as your holiday’s destination and also for taking the time to post a review about your experience.
We appreciate your positive lines about the beauty of our hotel premises and our exquisite gastronomy. In IBEROSTAR we are committed to ensure our guest to “enjoy being a Star”.
We apologize for the impression you might have gotten regarding tipping. We remind you though that tipping is always optional and completely a customer´s choice. We would like to clarify though that our rates and promotions does not discriminate our valuable costumers based on any particular nationality. Our official website is open to be consulted by any person with access to Internet as well as the multiples online travel agencies and websites offering promotions and last minutes offers during any period of the year which do not aim a particular discrimination based on nationality. We regret to read that you might have a different idea. We always advise our customers to evaluate the multiple options to profit from the best promotion.
Likewise, we want to empathize that we do not have any complain nor any records about wallets being stolen.
We remain at your entire disposition in case you decide to visit us again.
With kindest regards,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

We arrived April 26 left May 11. This was our 6 th visit to this hotel . It was until Sunday may 11 as usual a wonderful experience . But on that day hell on earth broke out at the Costa Dorada as the management mis managed a massive influx of day pass visitors that turned a 4 Star Hotel in to a non classifiable Hotel. That is less than 1 star. The excellent work of the Star team Pepsi cola,Popeye ,Chocolat etc was wasted. The excellent service of people like Kennedy swamped under the tide of humanity. The bar staff buffeted and bullied and totally run off their feet . There are rules of dress code acceptable behaviour removal of plates from dining areas none were enforced couldn't even organise an orderly queue. It was a travesty and totally un acceptable to allow an hotel to reach such a standard. Finally the new pool bar and area too were littered with glasses ,not plastic beakers, and plates and was totally rowdy and threatening. This was a depressing last image to take away from what is usually a brilliant holiday destination.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Zac1949

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for you holidays and for taking the time to post your comments about your experience at our premises.
In the name of Mr. Alberto Herrera, our Hotel Manager, we would like to express our satisfaction to read your positive lines about the excellent service of our staff. In IBEROSTAR our basic principles are to provide the best service to our valuable costumers so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We would like to extend our apologies and reassure you that what you have lived while on vacation is is not a true depiction of our standards of operation here at the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada. Our Manager has shared your feedback with the corresponding departmental heads to evaluate their performance and deliver the level of service expected by our valuable guests.
We will be happy to welcome you back again in any of our more than 100 hundred destinations worldwide. Please feel free to contact us to help you in your next visit.
Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Im sitting in the lobby of iberostar costa dorada Dominican republic my last night I could not wait to go home and do this review I wanted to do this in the heat of the moment...

where to start?

if you are lookin for a vacation experience you never want to forget this hotel is the spot

ENTERTAINMENT:
Popeye, pinky, hula, pepsicola, tekila, deedee, chocolate, alberto, johnathen and the dancers just to name a few give you around the clock entertainment I dont no where the find all this energy from I have never met a set of people who work so hard to make your stay so eventful and full of laughter they made my vacation a vacation I will like to take the time to thank them and all the hard work they put in

DINING STAFF:
joan, boni, felix, madina(dining manager) just to name a few were amazing always on the ball glass never empty there motive is to keep a smile on your face and the mini spanish lessons in between them attending to all ur dining room needs was cute they were always pleasant and fun to be around

FOOD:
was great always tasty im upset with myself for not remembering his name but the head chef the one with the pretty eyes you and your kitchen staff are amazing I have never been to a place where the calamari was always on point and melted like butter I was never disappointed breakfast, lunch and dinner keep up the great work

LOBBY BAR:
felix, felipe, jose just to name a few work fast to get your drinks even when the bar is crowded the are great bartenders

POOL/SWIM UP BAR:
drinks were great the only crummy thing is that these 2 bars only have limited liqueur bottles so there some drinks you can only get at the lobby bar

CLEANLINESS:
this hotel is one of the cleanest hotels I have ever been to nothing is ever out of place everthing is well manicured they are consistently cleaning they take so much pride in to how they want there hotel to look its alot of work but the get it done so all I can say is

Rooms:
maids are great at cleaning the room I was here for a week and I did not see 1 bug in my room the things they make out of towels blow my mind I can only imagine the things they have to clean up but the are great at what they do
IAPPRECIATE YOU'RE

BEACH:
kept clean always a chair to lay on water is beautiful the paella party is amazing never miss it watching it bein cooked and joining in to help with it is a crowd pleaser take my word for it

GENERAL COMMENT:
this hotel is about first impressions and boy they got my attention my experience from the food to the staff and entertainment crew was 200 out of 100 I could not ask for any thing more you hand picked an incredible staff appreciate them because
I APPRECIATE THEM

to the people I have missed or did not meet I hope to meet u in the near future I will be BACK

SHARIFYA AND TIKA

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Jazmyne D

Dear guest,
On the behalf of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, and his team, we would like to thank you for your choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holidays and for posting a review about your stay on Tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure for the whole staff to read that you had enjoyed your visit to our hotel and had a memorable stay, as we aim in IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts. Our Star Friend team and the rest of the team that you have mentioned on your review are happy to have left you a nice impression with their work.
We are looking forward to see you again, we stay at your entire disposition for any request you may have before your next visit,
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Let me start off by saying that we had a great time - because we were on vacation! However, it could have been better. This was our 6th all inclusive vacation and the worst so far.

Food - the food left much to be desired. The buffet is not as good as other reviewers have said. There is not much variety from day to day and the quality of the meat is poor. The a la cartes were also not very good - same problem with the meat. The shrimp were not deveined.

Pool - the pool is nice and big. At the beginning of the day it is pretty good, but at the end it is pretty gross because the filtration system is not good enough for the size. There are a lot of chairs and palapas, although they may not be in the most prime location there is definitely enough.

Ocean - the ocean is nice, but the water is colder than I expected. There are hecklers on the beach that can be quite tenacious and will follow you even if you tell them you are not interested 5 times.

Room - the room was okay, not great and not bad. We got a corner room on the first floor which turned out to be a problem over the weekend when people were going past our room very loudly at all hours of the night. We did not have this problem from Monday on though.

Entertainment - the shows were not that great. Again, we have been to 5 other resorts and their shows were much better. The entertainment staff is very friendly and tries to get people involved in the many activities during the day.

Bars - at the bars we went to (the pool bar, ocean bar, and snack bar) there weren't blenders to make blended drinks. There are some premade frozen drinks in slushy-type machines (pina colada, strawberry daquari, and margarita)

FYI - when you arrive at the airport in the Dominican Republic you need to pay $10 per person for a tourist card. They accept cash only. This caught me off guard as I did not hear it mentioned in other reviews. Also, some people will need to pay $20 per person to leave, although some airlines charge this as part of the fare.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joydivisyon
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear guest,
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we want to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holidays and for taking time to write a review about your experience.
We regret to acknowledge that our hotel premises, excellent service, exquisite international cuisine and wide options for daily and nightly activities did not make you feel as “a Star” as we aim in IBEORSTAR Hotels and Resorts in all of our more than one hundreds hotels worldwide. Our Management team extends our apologies for any and all inconveniences that you might have encountered. We have taken good notes from your feedback and forwarded to the corresponding departmental heads to evaluate their performance and deliver the level of service expected by our valuable costumers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Plata
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#5 of 40 in Puerto Plata
Grand Bahia Principe San Juan
Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!