This review is a warning to singles and couples only, not families. If you have kids, this is more likely the place for you. I feel like this was once a wonderful beautiful 5 star resort, however with time, and certain cutbacks, they have failed to maintain it and no one really updated the stars they have.
*Let me begin with the check in, upon arriving we did not have our confirmation email on paper, so they said I couldn't check in unless I printed it out. This was $3. However, when presented with the paper, apparently they didn't need it after all. So, it was quite annoying that I was conned for $3 when I didn't need to waste my time on it. ****THERE IS NO FREE WIFI THROUGHOUT THE RESORT (I thought maybe the lobby would have it, but that was not true)
*The people behind the front desk do not know how to perform their jobs well, not only did we not get a list of activities the resort offers upon check in, but they failed to mention one of their premier restaurants were only opened from Thursday to Sunday, so we ended up missing out on that, even though we were apparently "guaranteed" a reservation there.
*The TV in our room kept messing up, after telling the front desk twice about it, they finally fixed it, 3 days into our trip.
*The "mini bar" or the refrigerator with coke, water and (I think) beer, was a disgrace.
*On the drinks topic, the drinks on the cocktail menu at the bars were extremely subpar and oddly enough, the same drinks are not available in all the bars. The bar by the lobby actually has a better selection than the ones by the pool or anywhere else. I ordered a Long Island and double shot of Jack & Coke to make the mix much more potent with alcohol and less saturated with juices and other sugary substances. I also found myself walking to the bar more often than I wanted to. (Comparing to other wonderful resorts such as Secrets and The Ayana, I never once needed to do such a thing, the waiters at those resorts asked me if I wanted another drink before I even waved them down.)
*The resorts food was great, not phenomenal. They made a terrible attempt at sushi, but definitely had some good latin american cuisine.
*The pool is only opened from 7am - 7pm. I feel like a pool at a resort should be opened or accessible at all hours, or perhaps close later than 7pm, but thats my opinion.
*There are definitely a lot of amazing activities here, but all during the day. The entertainment staff are amazing and involve everyone from kids to adults. They definitely made the trip a bit more bearable. Not many activities after 5pm, there is a show between 8pm-11pm, which is fun and engaging, but thats it.
*There is a night club that opens at 11pm called "route 66" that mainly plays Bachata, Merengue, and Salsa, with tidbits of any American music (at least while I was there from 11pm-1am).
*We took advantage of the beach, which is flooded with people who are trying to sell you something or have you book an excursion with them. I could have certainly used less of that on my time trying to get my tan on. I was constantly worried that the locals would take anything they saw unattended (I saw someone take a hat that didn't belong to them, I couldn't tell the hotel security because he wasn't there)
We did not let the resorts flaws ruin our trip. In the end, we had a great time, but it was no thanks to the resort itself. I will definitely not be staying at Iberostar, Puerto Plata, and quite possibly any of the other Iberostar resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 498 Double Rooms and 18 spacious Junior Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata