“Nice Memorial Day Weekend Trip!”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Norwalk, Ohio
“Nice Memorial Day Weekend Trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

My SO and I stayed here over memorial day weekend from friday until monday! It was a last minute put together trip and I was very pleased! We arrived around 2 and our room was not ready so we did wait around for just over an hour! You have to pay for the wifi which was crazy to me! We travel a lot and every hotel that we have stayed at has given us the password to the wifi for free! The most disappointing thing about the wifi was it barely worked, the password was only good on one device at a time, it did not stay connected well and the signal was not strong and most places we could not get it! We did not use our phones or the lap top very often but I suggest if you make people pay for it you might want to make sure it works good! We were able to eat at all 3 speciality restaurants which we enjoyed! I emailed the hotel a few days before we arrived to make reservations and I was very happy that I did that because they had our reservations ready when we arrived that day and just had to get our confirmations slips at the concierge desk! The breakfast buffet was great, they had a lot of options so we never got bored! The lunch buffet was smaller but still had some options! The room was outdated but the beds were comfortable! Just a tip that unless you have a small plug to charge your things then your chargers will not fit in their outlets (I took a picture to show you the shape of the outlet)! The pool was very large and they had more than enough chairs to accommodate everyone there so that was nice! The beach was not your typical white sand and gorgeous blue water but it was ok, lots of crap washed up on the sand though, be careful they have a lot of outside people walking the beaches trying to talk to you and sell you things! We enjoyed the drinks at the pool but if you want top shelf liquor go to the lobby bar...make sure u have a shirt and shoes on if you go during the day! The fitness room was a nice size with some pretty good equipment! Over all good trip and I would recommend this place!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,229)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed here for a week and absolutely loved the place. The staff was always very friendly and helpful, and made us feel welcome and at home for the duration of our stay. On arrival, our room as very clean and was nicely done up for us. The air-con was good, and we had a nice balcony overlooking some gardens.

The pool area is great, with the bar in the middle of the pool being one of the top places to be during the day. The beach is also a great place to hang out, with a nice breeze constantly blowing so you don't end up baking in the sun.

The food at this resort is what made it for me. Every single meal I ate there was delicious; the seafood was mouth watering, the vegetables were fresh, and the general selection was great.

I should note that this is definitely a family oriented resort, and while this may put younger people off, as long as you're social, you shouldn't have a hard time meeting fellow young people looking to go wild. We ended up meeting many different groups of people and ended up partying hard every night! I should note that the club, Route 66, is pretty tame and that you are better going to another club such as 46 where the action is a lot more lively. If ever in doubt, talk to one of the performers who often go out after their shows. We went out with Chocolate for a night and he showed us an amazing time.

Don't bother taking taxis to the town or anything, as they charge 30 USD for a ride that costs 3 USD on local transit, which is perfectly safe.

Overall, I would stay here again. If you are willing to meet people and make friends, you'll have no problems finding a good party. With the food being so great and the service and staff being wonderful, this is an ideal getaway.

Room Tip: Choose a lower floor to avoid many trips up the stairs a day, preferably in building 8 or 9, closer...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank ChronicMike
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

This review is a warning to singles and couples only, not families. If you have kids, this is more likely the place for you. I feel like this was once a wonderful beautiful 5 star resort, however with time, and certain cutbacks, they have failed to maintain it and no one really updated the stars they have.

*Let me begin with the check in, upon arriving we did not have our confirmation email on paper, so they said I couldn't check in unless I printed it out. This was $3. However, when presented with the paper, apparently they didn't need it after all. So, it was quite annoying that I was conned for $3 when I didn't need to waste my time on it. ****THERE IS NO FREE WIFI THROUGHOUT THE RESORT (I thought maybe the lobby would have it, but that was not true)
*The people behind the front desk do not know how to perform their jobs well, not only did we not get a list of activities the resort offers upon check in, but they failed to mention one of their premier restaurants were only opened from Thursday to Sunday, so we ended up missing out on that, even though we were apparently "guaranteed" a reservation there.
*The TV in our room kept messing up, after telling the front desk twice about it, they finally fixed it, 3 days into our trip.
*The "mini bar" or the refrigerator with coke, water and (I think) beer, was a disgrace.
*On the drinks topic, the drinks on the cocktail menu at the bars were extremely subpar and oddly enough, the same drinks are not available in all the bars. The bar by the lobby actually has a better selection than the ones by the pool or anywhere else. I ordered a Long Island and double shot of Jack & Coke to make the mix much more potent with alcohol and less saturated with juices and other sugary substances. I also found myself walking to the bar more often than I wanted to. (Comparing to other wonderful resorts such as Secrets and The Ayana, I never once needed to do such a thing, the waiters at those resorts asked me if I wanted another drink before I even waved them down.)
*The resorts food was great, not phenomenal. They made a terrible attempt at sushi, but definitely had some good latin american cuisine.
*The pool is only opened from 7am - 7pm. I feel like a pool at a resort should be opened or accessible at all hours, or perhaps close later than 7pm, but thats my opinion.
*There are definitely a lot of amazing activities here, but all during the day. The entertainment staff are amazing and involve everyone from kids to adults. They definitely made the trip a bit more bearable. Not many activities after 5pm, there is a show between 8pm-11pm, which is fun and engaging, but thats it.
*There is a night club that opens at 11pm called "route 66" that mainly plays Bachata, Merengue, and Salsa, with tidbits of any American music (at least while I was there from 11pm-1am).
*We took advantage of the beach, which is flooded with people who are trying to sell you something or have you book an excursion with them. I could have certainly used less of that on my time trying to get my tan on. I was constantly worried that the locals would take anything they saw unattended (I saw someone take a hat that didn't belong to them, I couldn't tell the hotel security because he wasn't there)

We did not let the resorts flaws ruin our trip. In the end, we had a great time, but it was no thanks to the resort itself. I will definitely not be staying at Iberostar, Puerto Plata, and quite possibly any of the other Iberostar resorts.

Room Tip: If you stay here, building 1 is closest to the beach and pools.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jesus B
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend visited dom rep in the middle of May.
The hotel was always lovely and clean, with friendly staff all around the complex.
It rained the first couple of days when we were there but what so you expect from the Dominican Republic really. The other couple of days it was lovely and hot.
The room was really nice and big, ours faced away from the pool area which was good because it wasn't as nosey in the morning when everyone is around the pool.
The pool was massive but down side to that would be it was never completely clean but I could cope with that.
The buffet food was the same thing over and over again, that's why I wouldn't have been able to stay more than a week at this hotel.
The a la carte restaurants were nice but you can only have 1 booking in each, each week.
The entertainment staff were great all throughout the day, always tried to get you involved and the night shows were amazing, especially the lion king show.
All in all we had a lovely week just relaxing in the dom rep.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Newquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar in Punta Cana in Nov/Dec for 2 weeks and really enjoyed our stay. this time we decided on Iberostar at Costa Dorada. We came with the same friends and all had the same opinion great holiday. The staff could not do enough for you, the food was to a high standard and the waiters were very obliging and pleasant. The room was up to a very good standard and the maids kept it very clean and tidy. The Iberostar at Costa Dorada is smaller than the one at Punta Cana which suited us.The grounds are very well kept and clean also around the big pool. The entertainment was to a high standard which we all enjoyed through the day and evenings,all the entertainment staff were pleasant work very hard. We were very lucky the time we went it was not overcrowded. so no problems for loungers and beach loungers.The beaches were wide and long you could walk for miles which we did on a regular basis. The sea was clear,at times you had problems with seaweed and under currents but not a problem We normally go in February, next year we will go same time as this year it is hotter and quieter All in all great holiday thanks to the staff.

Room Tip: we had first floor overlooking the gardens not to near the pool,we had a corner suite large and sunn...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robert E
Marapica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We went to Iberostar in Costa Dorada based on feedback on trip advisor and it did not disappoint. We have 2 children aged 4 and 7 who loved every minute. There was a nice balance of families, couples and groups which was reflected by the entertainment. The ids loved the beach, pool, swim up bar and kids club, Connie was excellent. They enabled the kids to get involved in the evening shows and sometimes kids dinners. Staff were really friendly and the entertainment and entertainment team were superb, they work really hard. Would strongly reconnect and will definitely visit again or go to another Iberostar.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Mathew S
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar resort the first week in May. The food was amazing, far superior than any other resort I have been to down south. The pool is large and the beach was amazing. The gym was the best resort gym I have ever seen. The staff were all great and as attentive as you wanted them to be. This is the only all inclusive resort I have ever wanted to stay at again.

The only thing that I would recommend is air conditioning in the gym. The fans didn't help at all.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends