“Friendly Staff -Good Value”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Nice resort, good activities for a short stay, good entertainment, good food, clean and well maintained grounds. Beach was weedy in spots and a bit rough but still a nice place to hangout. We did the archery and the rifle target shooting which were fun that were both on site. We stayed 5 nights (Sunday-Friday) and heard that lots of locals visited on the weekend and it was loud (which we were glad we avoided).

Room Tip: Checked out a few rooms ... We had an ocean view which was the best yet all rooms looked the same.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your vacations and also for taking the time to post a review about your experience.
In the name of Mr. Alberto Herrera, Hotel Manager, and the whole team, it is a pleasure to read your kind comments about our beautiful premises, our daily and nightly entertainment and the variety of our exquisite cuisine. In IBEROSTAR we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
We are already willing to welcome you back again, please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you for your next visit.
With best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (7,441)

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend travelled to the iberostar 9th-23rd June 2014.
Few quick points - safe $28 and Internet $35 per week which worked around the pool, on the beach and even in our room block 3.
Check-in was good, and our room lovely, overlooking the pool. Room was extremely clean And the bed the comfiest I have had abroad, room was very up to date and modern.
The pool was nice and big, and there were always plenty of sunbeds. We always got up early as we always do but the majority of people only came by the pool around 10 o'clock. The pool was always lovely and quiet apart from the weekends. One thing to mention is that the pool bar only ever had one member of staff so you were always waiting. Also there is no waiter service beside the pool which I found odd for a 5* hotel. The pool also needs cleaning more there are constantly flys etc floating around.
The beach is extremely windy apart from in the morning. If you walk to the right as you get on the beach there is the 'orange market' where you can pick up a few nice souvenirs. Don't let anyone take you anywhere before this as it's abit dodgy.
The grounds are lovely very clean and tidy. Outside the theatre it is like a little village square were you can sit outside and on certain days they have stalls coming into the hotel but be careful as they are extremely over prices I knocked someone down from $130 to $35
The food was ok always something to eat. There was always cooked breakfast, pancakes, waffles and cereals for breakfast. For dinner you could either go to the main dinning area or the restaurant at the pool side, the main just had a bit more of a selection. For tea the main buffet always had meat,rice, pizza and chips so always something to eat .Couldn't say it was anything special, there wasn't much variety so got abit boring towards the end of the holiday hut nothing wrong with the food. We tried the Brazilian and the Mexican restaurant and to be completely honest they were shocking. I am not a fussy eater by any means but we walked out of both. Also the service In the Brazilian was shocking the waitress kept dropping the meat all over the table.
The entertainment in the evening was basically different themed music with dancing and singing. Not my kind of thing really, but the lion king was great! Also the Mr&Mrs shows were a laugh too. There is a big area to sit outside were you can still see the show but not be In The centre of it which was nice.
You cannot go out of the hotel at night as it isn't safe plus there is no where to go. First choice told us the complete opposite, the agent clearly hadn't been.
There is a currency exchange on site, an Internet cafe where you can hire iPads etc.., a shop which sells little souvenirs, snacks, sun cream etc.., 2 jewellery shops and a photo shop (the take photos of you beside the pool, when going to dinner etc if you like) the photos are good quality but very expensive 11$ each photo print or 10 photos on a disk for $70.
We booked our trips through the rep, who although appears to be quite helpful and friendly, doesn't ever seem like she has the time to speak to you properly.
We went on the catamaran trip which was nice you went snorkelling at different drops, dinner wasn't great though.
We also went to Ocean world which is like a nature reserve they have dolphins, sharks, Sea lions, birds etc.. And have shows on throughout the day which are good. They also have a beach. It was $69 just for entry to the park or $79 for entry and to swim with the sting rays and sharks which was amazing! You could also do the dolphins (which we already had done in Mexico hence the reason we didn't do it here) extremely glad we didn't do them here though as the quality of the pictures weren't good at all. We got two printed pictures from the sharks and stingrays $15 each not good quality at all though. You could get a disk I think for $80 with all your pictures on.
The extreme mega adventure trip included climbing and sliding down waterfalls which was amazing! Zip lining which was really good and the horse riding which I didn't really fancy but absolutely loved. The trip overall was fantastic.
Finally we also did the paradise island trip you could either do this on a speed boat or VIP boat. We chose the VIP as I didn't fancy sitting on a speed boat all day! The boat was amazing constantly coming around which drinks and food. You first stop off at a natural fresh water pool which was lovely and refreshing and then to puerto Russia beach were you have dinner which was gorgeous! Then go into the mangroves which was great and then to paradise Island were you snorkelled which was great! Then when you get back into the bus/coach they take you to a cigar factory and little shop to break the journey up. A long day 740am pick up return around 630 but fantastic day!

Overall a good holiday, nice hotel, lovely staff but the massive downfall were the locals at the weekend. I didn't really believe the reviews before I went but I have never met people who are so uncivilised and rude in my entire life! They throw food all around the pool, waste food constantly, poor drinks into the pool, constantly push and shove in the dinner queues, move dining furniture so no one can get past, the main buffet and tea time is shocking at the weekends can barely move and there is hardly any food left, take people's sunbeds or put their stuff on them. You wouldn't think people who live in such a poor country would act like this you would think they would appreciate what they have but it is the complete opposite. Completely shocking, really drags the standard of the hotel down and for this reason I wouldn't go back. But it isn't just this hotel it is all the hotels in the Dominican not in peak season. If they continue to let this happen people will not return.

If you have already booked I would book your trips for the weekend to get out the hotel. But in the week it is a totally different place and a really nice and relaxing place to be of the was the case all the time I would defiantly return!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Kayleigh E

Dear Guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for you holidays and for taking the time to post your comments about your experience at our premises.
In the name of Mr. Alberto Herrera, our Hotel Manager, we would like to express our satisfaction to read you positive lines about our varied gastronomy, the beauty of our grounds and the friendliness of our staff members. All those aspects are part of our guiding principles in IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts so we can achieve our goal: to ensure our valuable guests “enjoy being a Star”. Likewise, we welcome your suggestions regarding how we can improve the experience of our valuable costumers especially during the weekend. We have shared your feedback with the corresponding departmental heads.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior your return.
With best regards,

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed at the Costa Dorada at the beginning of June for 6 days....it's close to the airport about 20 minutes by care, check-in went smooth, WIFI was not free, which sucks, I'd rather they add it into the charge of the room, however, the room we got was a standard room, which ended up having a sideways view of the ocean and right at the end of the pool where it meets the beach, we were quite pleased....bed was comfy! Pool bar was fun, met some great folks from all over the world.....the theme restaurants Mexican and Brazilian were quite good, didnt care for the seafood restaurant, we were there for 3 lunches on the beach.....grilled meats/BBQ which was superb, paella OMG so good and seafood and pasta.......that made our vacation those three meals cooked on the beach at lunchtime were spectacular, the seafood pasta had lobster tails in it.....AMAZING. The entire trip hotel/air and trasfers only cost us 1600 from NY so, I could not have been more pleased. The only reason I did not give this hotel an excellent rating was because on weekends they let locals rent it for the day and some were quite rude, loud, cutting in front of people for drinks/food. Other than that - excellent resort. Vendors on beach can get a little annoying too, trying to get you to go to the flea market, etc. Which is a waste of a walk over there. ENTERTAINMENT staff was outrageous! They did a great job.....CHOCOLATE, PEPSI, TEQUILLA, EVEREST, etc. they all helped put a smile on our faces. Kudos to IBEROSTAR for hiring such talented friendly dedicated workers.

Room Tip: Some people we met paid extra for beach front and complained about the walk to the pool/food area...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Coco-lette-NJ

Dear guest
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we want to thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holiday and for taking time to write a review about your experience.
We are very pleased to read that your holiday among us was memorable due to the friendliness of our staff especially by our entertainers: our Star Friend team. In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests through the friendliness of our staff members. We have congratulated Chocolate, Pepsi, Tequila and Everest for helping us to accomplish our goal during your visit.
We are already willing to welcome you back; please do not hesitate to contact us before your next visit.
With regards,

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying we has a fantastic holiday, food and drink is lovely and rooms really clean and spacious.

Monday to Thursday this hotel is peaceful and what you expect when. You book a relaxing holiday, however come Friday to Sunday the hotel allow the locals weekend passes and they completely ruin everything!

The pool was filthy, I spotted some locals throwing their limes from their drink into the pool, a floating sanitary towel and they insist on swimming fully clothed!!

You don't stand a chance in the buffet restaurant unless your there when it opens otherwise there is nothing left!!

Overall my partner and I really enjoyed our holiday but iberostar the locals did ruin 6 days out of our 14 day stay.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Jadey92

Dear guest,
In the name of Mr. Alberto Herrera, Hotel manager, we thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your vacations and also for taking the time to post a review about your stay.
We are very pleased to read that your holiday among us was great. In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure unforgettable experiences to our valuable costumers without discrimination based on nationalities.
In case you decide to visit our premises, we will be more than pleased to assist you before your arrival.
Best regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Overall, this resort was beautiful, had fantastic amenities and the staff was quite remarkable. However, I and my friends, while on vacation at this resort in May, learned that the locals were able to buy a day pass to the resort on weekends. Since we were there for 2 weeks, we had the displeasure of experiencing this twice. The locals literally packed the place: the dining hall, the pool area, the beach, and all other recreational areas. They were obnoxious, rude, and had no respect for the tourists, especially women. I understand that the resort is trying to continue making money during non-peak times, but, in my opinion, this is absolutely ludicrous and I would definitely NOT recommend booking your vacation at this resort outside of fall and winter months.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
16  Thank Jade B

Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your vacations and also for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we would like to express how glad we are to read how you highlighted out the beauty of our hotel premises and the excellent service of our friendly staff. In IBEROSTAR we want our guest to “enjoy being a Star”.
We are waiting for your next visit; please do not hesitate contact us to assist you for your next visit.
With regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is still a good place to go, but unfortunately the quality of the service is not the same it was in the past. So, the good things:
- Nice little resort, close to the airport.
- Good food, nice pool, nice beach.
- Good service for the money.
The things we found deteriorated in the last period
- Bugs in rooms. We get bitten in rooms and on site by mosquitos.
- Less variety of food, and on Sunday when there are a lot of locals and the restaurant is full, once something is finished, it’s not always replaced. So after a while the selection is very small.
- Rooms starts to degrade and they just fix what is broken. But for example if the hair drier hangs ready to fall, nobody will bother to fix it.
- Staff attitude changed. In the past everybody was smiling and willing to help. Now it’s just, ok whatever. They are not rude, but it’s like they don’t care.
So again, not a bad place, but something happened, management change?, and things are not the same. Hope it was just a bad period and the things will get back to normal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank mont2009

Dear guest,
Thank you for your loyalty when choosing IBEROSTAR Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to post a review about your experience at IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada.
On behalf of Mr. Alberto Herrera, we regret to acknowledge that despite your positive valuation of our exquisite gastronomy and our value for money, your expectations about an unforgettable experience based on your prior visits were not met and we could not ensure you a pleasant holiday.
We would like to clarify that we follow a scheduled fumigation program according to Sanitary regulations, we do use human harmless products while fumigating. In high season, when most of our rooms are occupied every day, it is very hard to follow our schedule and wait for a room to be free of occupancy. We have forwarded the aforementioned comments to all relevant department heads as to ensure that service is up to our IBEROSTAR standards
We remain at your entire disposition for any assistance and kindly invite you to visit any of our more than one hundred hotels worldwide.
Best regards,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had a brief stay at Iberostar Costa Dorada. It was highly recommended and it didn't dissapoint. I stayed at building 5 and it was steps away from the beach and pool. I stayed midweek so I enjoy the tranquility of a small crowd. I only ate at the buffet-Mercado, I think- and I was pleasantly surprised by a good selection and the food was better than I expected. At the buffet I was assisted by Domingo who was very attentive. I didn't like the Bohio where snacks are served because food was cold even the burgers. My only issue was a very loud air conditioning system that interrupted my sleep. However the junior suite room was a good size and had a perfect view. My children enjoyed the kids club and most definitely didn't want to leave so soon. Everyone was very attentive and respectful.

Things to know - you pay for Internet per day or for couple of days that will run about $25 USD for 3 days and safety deposit is about $2 USD per day. I was taken by surprised when I was given a card to get towels and required to monitor my towel or be charged $10 USD per towel if I didn't return them at check out.

• Stayed: June 2014
4  Thank summervacatione
OnlineReputationMngr, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear guest,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your vacations and for taking the time to post a review about your stay.
We would like to express how pleased we are to read that your brief holidays was unforgettable due to our value for money and excellent customer service as you are stating on your review. In IBEROSTAR we aim to ensure memorable experiences to our valuable costumers.
We will be glad to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for any assistance before your arrival.