“Great Resort”

Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great Resort”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

stayed at Iberostar Costa Dorada For the 3rd time and that says a lot of the hotel. Food Here is Pretty Good especially at Dinner we were 5 adults 2 kids and 2 infants we reserved for the international A la Carte Restaurant and the Brazilian, they Are Both AMAZING I Would Recommend This Hotel.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Gabriel89k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,248)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My family stayed at Iberostar Costa Dorada from July 4th to July 23, 2014. We have been to this resort several times, and it has become our home away from home. We are always greeted warmly and treated well. Melvin from Guest Services got us the room that we requested. Both he and Mario were very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed. Thank you also to Rossina for the fast check-in!

The hotel has undergone some changes in the past year or so, such as adding a swim up bar in the pool and the beautiful orchid garden along the back walkway. Most of our time during the day was spent at the pool as the beach is beautiful but very windy. Manuel, one of the pool workers was very helpful to us during our stay. He greeted us with a big smile every morning as we went to find our pool chairs! It was fun to watch the crazy games and activities around the pool, especially the bikini contest and the movie show in the swimming pool. The animation/activities program is run by Quimo and Popeye and they are consistent in keeping excellent staff on hand. Everyone was friendly and we enjoyed meeting the new members. Thank you so much to Jonathan, Chocolate, Hulu Hulu, Tekila, Pinky, Dee Dee and Pepsi Cola!

As regards to the evening entertainment, there are a couple of new shows. Our favorite is still the adorable Lion King show. We asked Popeye, one of the animation managers, about the evening White Party that we attended the previous year on the beach. It was one of the highlights of our trip last year. He explained that they no longer had the event, but since we had asked about it he would have one. He organized a White Party which included the animation staff, the dancers and my favorite DJ Albert in the disco the Monday night before we left. It was so much fun to see the guests dressed in their beautiful white clothes during the evening show and later at the disco for the party. Thank you Popeye, the party was wonderful!

On another note, thank you to Cristina who provided us with a special request in the dining room, and to Camilo, Cesarin, Medina, Joan, Felix, Tony and D’Oleo who were all so gracious and fun to be around and provided great service. The bar staff was also excellent as usual, thank you to Eddy, William and Daniel for keeping my glass filled with champagne! Maid service was good too. We always returned to a cool & clean room after a hot day by the pool or the beach! Please…do tip all of these great people who go out of their way to give you good service and to make your vacation enjoyable.

We took a few trips outside of the resort to Santiago, Sosua Beach and to downtown Puerto Plata. I definitely recommend getting out and seeing the country outside of the resort. The hospitality and friendliness of the Dominican people is so refreshing. We have been to DR about 7 times now, and have met and made wonderful friends.

Just a few suggestions: Please put air conditioning or a fan/vent in the bathroom. Even just a short shower makes the bathroom unbearably hot! Also, please re-post and enforce the “No Smoking” signs in the theatre and in other non-smoking areas. Most guests did not know that smoking is not allowed in the theatre, and since I am very allergic to cigarette smoke I had to ask several people who sat next to me to please put out their cigarettes. In some instances, I just moved rather than say anything. This is not something that I want to have to do on my vacation! Lastly, please enforce the rules about guests wearing a cover-up in the pool restaurant and provide supervision there so rules are followed. We saw many guests enter the restaurant dripping wet and uncovered, eating from the serving trays and then walking out…some after scratching or digging their swimsuit out of their bottoms! Nasty!!! Because of this, most of our lunches were eaten in the main buffet dining room where there is more supervision.

Besides these few issues, we enjoyed our stay immensely. It was nice to be pampered and to see all of our old friends and to make some new ones. We will be back!

2 Thank IJai
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have just come back from a fantastic 2 weeks at the Iberostar in Puerto Plata. I was worried before leaving after reading about how the hotel changes when the locals descend at the weekends but can honestly say that it was nothing to be concerned about at all.
We are a family of 4 consisting of an 8 year old and 14 month old and although I had my reservations about the long flight and making sure that there was suitable food for the baby, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
We flew on the Dreamliner and upgraded to Premium and it made for a stress free commute. The staff on board the flight were fantastic in providing us with their own milk for the baby's bottle. The Premium seats are so big and comfortable that he fell asleep easily. There is a large space at the rear of the Premium cabin which also enabled him to crawl around to his hearts content without disturbing the other passengers. There was a baby change in the toilets too which was small but easy to use. Overall - very impressed with the travelling. I would like to add that during the flight the cabin crew advised us not to rely on their milk on the return trip as they couldn't guarantee that they would have enough milk due to not re-stocking before the turn around flight. Knowing this we got a litre carton of milk (sealed) and took this on the flight for the return journey. The airport security at Dominican had no problem with this at all.
The hotel was fantastic. We upgraded the room and ended up with a lovely ground floor room overlooking the beach. The rooms were clean and well presented.
The hotel food deserves a review on its own. One word...outstanding. We have been on countless AI holidays, everywhere from Spain to Mexico and this hotel can pride itself on high quality food. The Brazilian restaurant was beautiful, as was the Mexican. The seafood restaurant (pool side restaurant which transforms to a fish restaurant after 7pm) was more hit or miss. My husband had fish which wasn't great, our eldest son opted for spaghetti from the kids menu and to his horror it came out well stocked with squid etc! I chose the only non-fish option of Pork and it was gorgeous.
The main buffet restaurant is also fantastic with more choice than you could ever ask for.
Pool side entertainment is very entertaining. The animation team are hilarious and incredibly friendly. They all seem to love what they do and this really shows. You can't help but get caught up in the buzz around them.
Evening entertainment - I can't really comment too much as we only managed to stay awake for 1 show out of 14!! They start at 9.30pm which makes it shameful that we couldn't stay awake! The Lion King show was well worth staying up for. Great show, they really do put in 110%.
Our one grumble would be with reception. They warn you about things being on Dominican time (slowly) over there but the reception staff took this to another level!!! My husband asked one of the staff (Maria Allonso) where the nearest cashpoint was and she told him that it was a $30 round trip! Interestingly just 10 minutes later the barman told him that there was one just around the corner (1 min walk!) When he asked her about this she told him that the cash point was only for staff!!!!! Bizarre!!
The gym was lovely albeit hot (surprise surprise!). 2 huge fans in there though which helped loads and a good selection of modern (isn) equipment. Certainly enough to have a good workout.
Overall - we were so happy with this holiday.

Room Tip: Beach front and away from the pool area. Lots of people tended to congregate around the pool area w...
3 Thank HolidayAddict79
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The thompson/first choice flight with the new thompson Dreamliner was the best flight I have ever been on. When we (me, and my two teenage children) arrived at iberostar, we were greeted with refreshing slush drinks whilst we were waiting to check in. As a single parent going with two teenage children I requested two double beds on a high floor, I was amazed to find that when I reached our room we had three double beds (one each) on the top floor.
I would just like to mention that all of the people complaining about the seaweed on the beach are pathetic. Me and my daughter managed to find a funny side out of the seaweed and had seaweed fights nearly everyday in the sea.
The hotel was very clean. The majority of the staff were fantastic and were very helpful throughout our stay- in particular Kennedy, who worked in the main restaurant.
However, the food was only very average and was occasionally cold. The drinks were very watered down. In the minibar the drinks were restocked every alternate day. When I checked to see the use by date on these I realised that they all ran out within a couple of days. On one occasion of checking them I found out that the drinks had already ran out of date. This would usually not bother me, however when I pay to stay in a 5* hotel I do not expect the drinks to be nearly out of date. IF THE DRINKS ARE CLOSE TO OUT OF DATE, THE FOOD WILL PRESUMABLY BE EXACTLY THE SAME.

Would not go back

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank ThethreeLs
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just returned yesterday after two wonderful weeks at Iberostar Costa Dorada. Landed on time on the Thomson Dream liner, beautiful aircraft, 9 hours literally disappeared, honestly best long haul flight I've ever been on, greeted at airport by our Rep Vicky who was lovely girl, very informative, extremely helpful and great fun. Hotel is beautiful, spotlessly clean, very well manicured and every where you look there is a good view. Reception staff made check in experience very enjoyable, bell boy brought us to our room 2nd floor block 2 we had room 2212 which gave a great outlook over the pool and you could also see the beach through the palm trees. We loved the room minibar constantly restocked, towels and bed changed daily by our lovely maid Maria, air conditioning was excellent and you can turn it up or down at your bedside. Safe was in wardrobe and cost afew dollars per day, we didn't bother and didn't need to. The beach was our next port of call, windy but beautiful, beach bar was brilliant, very friendly and nothing too much trouble, beach sellers friendly and courteous, a simple no thank you is sufficient. We ate in buffet restaurant every day for breakfast, selection and quality of food was brilliant, does get a bit crowded at weekends with locals but still great choice and cooking station chefs will make anything you ask for in minutes. At lunch time we split our meals between the bohio snack bar and the buffet. Swimwear was welcomed at the bohio and some days it was nice not to have to change for lunch. Quality of food was the same high standard as buffet restaurant just smaller selection. In the evenings we used international restaurant twice, excellent choice of fish. Mexican twice again great menu and amazing service. Brazilian three times, superb, meat of all kinds cooked to perfection on skewers. On the whole, To be totally honest anyone who complains about the food here must have a problem with everything . Drinks available on tap from 10am every day, from pink coladas to coffee. Just ask. Entertainment team was excellent, throughout the day there is an amazing choice of activities, in the evening the audience participate in on stage games followed by great variety of professional shows! Costumes are beautiful. The lion king was my favourite.
We enjoyed the free water sports on the beach, several kayaks, doubles singles, surfing, wind surfing etc. Brilliant snorkeling just 2 minute swim from beach. We also paid 20 dollars for speed sofa which was hilarious.
Our excursions were great, out back safari was brilliant, paradise island was just that, paradise, snorkeling trip was very pleasant at sasou and finally free style catamaran superb. We booked our safari with Thomson rep Vicki, paid 79 dollars each, the other trips we booked with Tony on the beach, saved a fortune but enjoyed as much if not more so than safari, possibly because we both managed to get
bitten on it. Never got bitten around hotel or
on any other trips. Three things did annoy me
slightly, the first was the orange market, just
didn't like it at all.
The second is waiter service around pool and on beach ( I would have expected at 5 star hotel) and the third and possibly most important is the fact that I actually worried about going to this hotel after reading previous reviews, no need, absolutely no need. Excellent hotel, superb staff, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank MrandMrsDickson
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Four couples visited the Iberostar Costa Dorada in February, we were all pleasantly surprised. We were placed in a room on the third floor away from the other three couples, after a few days we requested a room close to theirs, to our surprise we were placed in the same building (building 1) as them, a beautiful room overlooking the beach. The food was excellent, plenty of choice and short lines in the main buffet even when the hotel was full. The beach was great, a few weeds but it was cleaned every day. We never experienced any problem getting beach chairs but sometimes the pool chairs were hard to find. Entertainment was excellent every night and having bar servers on the floor for the shows allowed you to not miss a thing. We have already booked our return visit for this coming February with two other couples and we are looking forward to two weeks away from winter and hopefully we will be able to get similar rooms as last year.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Bruce A
QualityManagerDR, Quality Manager at Iberostar Costa Dorada, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada as your holiday’s destination and for taking time to write some comments about your experience.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we want to express how glad we are to read that your stay at our hotel premises was relaxing despite the issue with your room assignation. We would like to clarify that room requests are subject to availability upon the day of your arrival although our Front Desk team does their best to please all requests. We beg your comprehension and extend our apologies for the inconveniences related to this area of our services. In IBEROSTAR we are committed to provide the best service in order to ensure to our beloved guests a memorable holiday.
We hope to welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact us before your next visit.
With regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel was fantastic! Our rooms were in block 2, and we had a great view of the pool area. Our rooms were spacious and kept very clean by the maids. The mini fridge was also well stocked up. The food at the hotel was great, in the main buffet there was a lot of variety, and there was always something for everyone. Out of the 3 A La Carte restaurants, our favourite was the Brazilian, where they bought round skewers of different meat every 5 mins! The other two restaurants, the International (Seafood) and Mexican were okay, and we only visited them once. On the whole, the food at the Iberostar was good! The pool area was very big, and kept clean. The Jacuzzi in the centre and pool bar were really good! Sunbeds were never really a problem, and there was always some available. The only thing is you need to take a mattress to your bed yourself! There are a lot of activities going on during the day, like archery, rifle shooting, darts, water polo, beach volleyball etc! The entertainment team here were probably the best I've come across! Not only were they friendly, and easy to talk to, they always enjoyed it if you got involved but were not pushy of you just wanted to relax! They were always having a laugh with you,and they really did make the trip a memorable one! Special shout outs to Pepsicola, Tekila, Dee Dee and Chocolate! The waiting staff are all friendly and our waiter in the main buffet, Boni, was always smiling! After a few days, he knew where we liked to sit and what drinks we used to get and kept it waiting for us! Really good service from everyone! Every night the entertainment put on a different show, but before they have an ice breaker followed by announcing the winners of the days activities, and rewarding them with a medal and certificate, which is really good fun! The shows were all good, and a lot of effort was put into them! In our two week stay we never saw the same show twice, so there is always something different to keep you entertained! One negative is that on weekends the locals come, and do cause some disruption. They can be loud, and we did hear stories from other guests about things going missing. There can also be longer queues for food on the weekends. My second and last negative, is that there was no free wi-fi! Although I did enjoy the peace and quiet of no internet for two weeks, it is something you may expect from an all inclusive. The weather was also fantastic, mid 30s-40 everyday, and very high humidity! All in all the Iberostar provided us with a great holiday, and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!

3 Thank jas2793
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada for your holidays and for posting a review about your experience among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Alberto Herrera, we would like to express how glad we are to read that you had a great holiday as the title of your review states. In IBEROSTAR we want our beloved guests to enjoy memorable experiences. Pepsi cola, Tekila, Dee Dee and Chocolate has been congratulated for making your holiday especial. Likewise, we have received your suggestions and will be working soon to improve our standards along with our departmental heads.
We invite you to visit us once again and remain at your entire disposition for any assistance prior your next visit.
With kindest regards,