“Excellent Holiday”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Excellent Holiday”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed in the hotel from 29/05 to 13/06 and absolutely loved it. We read plenty of reviews before we arrived and were a little concerned about the problems other people had found with the locals at the weekends. When the weekend came we quickly realised this was nothing to worry about at all! yes the number of people in the hotel increases slightly but we never had a problem with finding sunbeds or getting served at the bars or at lunch or dinner!
The rooms could do with a little updating but it's only cosmetic and we spent all our time at the beach and pool anyway so this didn't concern us. We did have a problem with the hair dryer not working, but we called reception and in half an hour it was fixed!
There was so much choice at the buffet restaurant we found something new to try every night. They also put on themed nights each evening so there is lots of variety. We only ended up using 2 of our al la carte meal tickets as we were so impressed with the buffet.
The all inclusive drinks are great, especially the champagne at the lobby bar!
The star friends really make this hotel special. There is always an activity going on to take part in, so if like us, you sometimes get bored of sunbathing, there is plenty to take part in.
We booked 3 excursions through the hotel and would strongly reccomend all 3. The ocean world park is 10-15 minutes away and the dolphin swim is a must. As part of the excursion, you get a day ticket to the park and a free lunch. We also did the extreme mega adventure day which involved horse riding, zip lining through the canopy and jumping down a waterfall! this was by far the best trip out of our 3 and i would do it again everyday if i could! This one was about a 45 minute drive away and the truck they take you on is well stocked with coolers filled with coke and sprite for you to help yourself to - an extra touch that makes all the difference!
Our 3rd excursion was white water rafting. We hadn't been before so this was very exciting for us. the only down side to this one is the 3 hour bus ride each way - which we were told would be 1h 30!!
The airport is only a 20 minute coach ride away which is perfect after a long haul flight!
I really reccomend this hotel, you will have a lovely holiday!

Room Tip: We were in 3215 and loved it!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Emily B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my family from 7/21 - 723. We had 4 rooms. On the second day of our stay, while we were at the pool, some one went into our luggage, digged through our belongings and stole $3,400 dollars in cash, plus another $4,800 pesos which were in a wallet under layers of clothing in the luggage. The hotel security pretty much took the stance that because we didn't see the crime in action, nothing happened. This was despite the fact that the cleaning staff had entered the room while we were at the pool / beach area, this was noted during the electronic scan of the key pad. Don't stay here, if you are the victim of a crime while on the property you'll be treated as the assailant, not a guest!

11 Thank Alexander P
Bolton, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Hotel was great and all but I must warn you all about making phone calls. There is a 25 dollar flat rate and you then get charged over $1 the hour. Even if the calls are incoming you get charged a ridiculous amount. Consider purchasing wifi and making facetime calls ! It will save you the $200+ my family had to pay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carla E
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

stayed at Iberostar Costa Dorada For the 3rd time and that says a lot of the hotel. Food Here is Pretty Good especially at Dinner we were 5 adults 2 kids and 2 infants we reserved for the international A la Carte Restaurant and the Brazilian, they Are Both AMAZING I Would Recommend This Hotel.

Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Gabriel89k
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My family stayed at Iberostar Costa Dorada from July 4th to July 23, 2014. We have been to this resort several times, and it has become our home away from home. We are always greeted warmly and treated well. Melvin from Guest Services got us the room that we requested. Both he and Mario were very attentive and made sure we had everything we needed. Thank you also to Rossina for the fast check-in!

The hotel has undergone some changes in the past year or so, such as adding a swim up bar in the pool and the beautiful orchid garden along the back walkway. Most of our time during the day was spent at the pool as the beach is beautiful but very windy. Manuel, one of the pool workers was very helpful to us during our stay. He greeted us with a big smile every morning as we went to find our pool chairs! It was fun to watch the crazy games and activities around the pool, especially the bikini contest and the movie show in the swimming pool. The animation/activities program is run by Quimo and Popeye and they are consistent in keeping excellent staff on hand. Everyone was friendly and we enjoyed meeting the new members. Thank you so much to Jonathan, Chocolate, Hulu Hulu, Tekila, Pinky, Dee Dee and Pepsi Cola!

As regards to the evening entertainment, there are a couple of new shows. Our favorite is still the adorable Lion King show. We asked Popeye, one of the animation managers, about the evening White Party that we attended the previous year on the beach. It was one of the highlights of our trip last year. He explained that they no longer had the event, but since we had asked about it he would have one. He organized a White Party which included the animation staff, the dancers and my favorite DJ Albert in the disco the Monday night before we left. It was so much fun to see the guests dressed in their beautiful white clothes during the evening show and later at the disco for the party. Thank you Popeye, the party was wonderful!

On another note, thank you to Cristina who provided us with a special request in the dining room, and to Camilo, Cesarin, Medina, Joan, Felix, Tony and D’Oleo who were all so gracious and fun to be around and provided great service. The bar staff was also excellent as usual, thank you to Eddy, William and Daniel for keeping my glass filled with champagne! Maid service was good too. We always returned to a cool & clean room after a hot day by the pool or the beach! Please…do tip all of these great people who go out of their way to give you good service and to make your vacation enjoyable.

We took a few trips outside of the resort to Santiago, Sosua Beach and to downtown Puerto Plata. I definitely recommend getting out and seeing the country outside of the resort. The hospitality and friendliness of the Dominican people is so refreshing. We have been to DR about 7 times now, and have met and made wonderful friends.

Just a few suggestions: Please put air conditioning or a fan/vent in the bathroom. Even just a short shower makes the bathroom unbearably hot! Also, please re-post and enforce the “No Smoking” signs in the theatre and in other non-smoking areas. Most guests did not know that smoking is not allowed in the theatre, and since I am very allergic to cigarette smoke I had to ask several people who sat next to me to please put out their cigarettes. In some instances, I just moved rather than say anything. This is not something that I want to have to do on my vacation! Lastly, please enforce the rules about guests wearing a cover-up in the pool restaurant and provide supervision there so rules are followed. We saw many guests enter the restaurant dripping wet and uncovered, eating from the serving trays and then walking out…some after scratching or digging their swimsuit out of their bottoms! Nasty!!! Because of this, most of our lunches were eaten in the main buffet dining room where there is more supervision.

Besides these few issues, we enjoyed our stay immensely. It was nice to be pampered and to see all of our old friends and to make some new ones. We will be back!

2 Thank IJai
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We have just come back from a fantastic 2 weeks at the Iberostar in Puerto Plata. I was worried before leaving after reading about how the hotel changes when the locals descend at the weekends but can honestly say that it was nothing to be concerned about at all.
We are a family of 4 consisting of an 8 year old and 14 month old and although I had my reservations about the long flight and making sure that there was suitable food for the baby, I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
We flew on the Dreamliner and upgraded to Premium and it made for a stress free commute. The staff on board the flight were fantastic in providing us with their own milk for the baby's bottle. The Premium seats are so big and comfortable that he fell asleep easily. There is a large space at the rear of the Premium cabin which also enabled him to crawl around to his hearts content without disturbing the other passengers. There was a baby change in the toilets too which was small but easy to use. Overall - very impressed with the travelling. I would like to add that during the flight the cabin crew advised us not to rely on their milk on the return trip as they couldn't guarantee that they would have enough milk due to not re-stocking before the turn around flight. Knowing this we got a litre carton of milk (sealed) and took this on the flight for the return journey. The airport security at Dominican had no problem with this at all.
The hotel was fantastic. We upgraded the room and ended up with a lovely ground floor room overlooking the beach. The rooms were clean and well presented.
The hotel food deserves a review on its own. One word...outstanding. We have been on countless AI holidays, everywhere from Spain to Mexico and this hotel can pride itself on high quality food. The Brazilian restaurant was beautiful, as was the Mexican. The seafood restaurant (pool side restaurant which transforms to a fish restaurant after 7pm) was more hit or miss. My husband had fish which wasn't great, our eldest son opted for spaghetti from the kids menu and to his horror it came out well stocked with squid etc! I chose the only non-fish option of Pork and it was gorgeous.
The main buffet restaurant is also fantastic with more choice than you could ever ask for.
Pool side entertainment is very entertaining. The animation team are hilarious and incredibly friendly. They all seem to love what they do and this really shows. You can't help but get caught up in the buzz around them.
Evening entertainment - I can't really comment too much as we only managed to stay awake for 1 show out of 14!! They start at 9.30pm which makes it shameful that we couldn't stay awake! The Lion King show was well worth staying up for. Great show, they really do put in 110%.
Our one grumble would be with reception. They warn you about things being on Dominican time (slowly) over there but the reception staff took this to another level!!! My husband asked one of the staff (Maria Allonso) where the nearest cashpoint was and she told him that it was a $30 round trip! Interestingly just 10 minutes later the barman told him that there was one just around the corner (1 min walk!) When he asked her about this she told him that the cash point was only for staff!!!!! Bizarre!!
The gym was lovely albeit hot (surprise surprise!). 2 huge fans in there though which helped loads and a good selection of modern (isn) equipment. Certainly enough to have a good workout.
Overall - we were so happy with this holiday.

Room Tip: Beach front and away from the pool area. Lots of people tended to congregate around the pool area w...
3 Thank HolidayAddict79
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The thompson/first choice flight with the new thompson Dreamliner was the best flight I have ever been on. When we (me, and my two teenage children) arrived at iberostar, we were greeted with refreshing slush drinks whilst we were waiting to check in. As a single parent going with two teenage children I requested two double beds on a high floor, I was amazed to find that when I reached our room we had three double beds (one each) on the top floor.
I would just like to mention that all of the people complaining about the seaweed on the beach are pathetic. Me and my daughter managed to find a funny side out of the seaweed and had seaweed fights nearly everyday in the sea.
The hotel was very clean. The majority of the staff were fantastic and were very helpful throughout our stay- in particular Kennedy, who worked in the main restaurant.
However, the food was only very average and was occasionally cold. The drinks were very watered down. In the minibar the drinks were restocked every alternate day. When I checked to see the use by date on these I realised that they all ran out within a couple of days. On one occasion of checking them I found out that the drinks had already ran out of date. This would usually not bother me, however when I pay to stay in a 5* hotel I do not expect the drinks to be nearly out of date. IF THE DRINKS ARE CLOSE TO OUT OF DATE, THE FOOD WILL PRESUMABLY BE EXACTLY THE SAME.

Would not go back

Sunscape Bavaro Beach Punta Cana
ClubHotel Riu Bachata
ClubHotel Riu Bachata
#11 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!