we travelled in a group of 7,5 adults and 2 teenagers the first 2 weeks in august.upon arrival we were greeted with cold drinks and directed towards a portable desk away from the reception to help speed up our check in which was quicker than a lot of past holidays.we were told that we could wait with our cases and be transported via golf buggies with our luggage or we could make our own way to our rooms (which we did) and our luggage would follow within 10 minutes which it did.
our room had 2 double beds and also a single bed which was a bonus with myself,my wife and teenage son sharing the room.i must say that the beds were the most comfortable we have ever had on hoiday.we were on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and our room was spotless with a flat screen tv,mini bar,safe and even an ironing board if required.our shower in the bathroom could of been better but i have had worse !.our room had good ac and a ceiling fan which we had on 24/7.
the main buffet restaurant is the best that i have had the privilege of using this being my 7th all inclusive holiday.it is not very big and can get quite busy at peak times but the quality of the food is very good.my only complaint would be that at breakfast although the restaurant had 2 omelette stations only 1 was in use most of the times and on a couple of occasions i had to wait over 10 minutes for an omelette.
the hotel has 3 a la carte restaurants mexican,brazilian and fish.we only tried the brazilian but was dissapointed with the service but not the food because we never had 2 different meats on our plate at the same time,they would bring the meat to you but by the time they returned with another meat by the same person you had all ready eaten your previous.
we did not try the mexican because 1 night they had a mexican theme night in the buffet restaurant and we were told it was the same and it was good but lacked a lttle spice for my liking.
the hotel pool is very well designed with a permanent place for both water polo and vollyball,with a central spa and a swim up bar.the animation team are excellent and i even joked with "deedee" that the pool was to warm and that she should fill the pool with some ice cubes ! but it is the warmest pool i have ever had on holiday.there are plenty of sunbeds so no need to get up at silly o clock to reserve them both at the pool or on the beach.the sea did have a lot of seaweed which might put some people off a little but the staff keep the beach spotless.
If you like your meat then do not miss the beach bbq on saturday lunch were you can eat as much steak,chicken,lamb chops,pork steaks and sausages as you can but be warned you will not want any more food in the evenning.
the animation team seem do a good job with the shows in the evening and though they are not really my thing the lion king show was excellent.one way the hotel could improve would be to introduce another bar away from the entertainment theatre which is right next to the lobby bar so even if you do not want to see the shows you hear them.
this was my 3rd visit to the dominican republic and i feel some staff now expect to be tipped rather than you tip for excellent service and our waiter was to much in your face and false so did not get a tip but we gave generous tips to 2 members of the bar staff who had been great all holiday without tipping in the 1st week and to our excellent maid who kept our room spotless all holiday.
so i would reccomend this hotel if like us you want a nice chilled out holiday which is a very well run and maintained hotel with excellent quality food,
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 498 Double Rooms and 18 spacious Junior Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata