“chilled out holiday”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
leeds
“chilled out holiday”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

we travelled in a group of 7,5 adults and 2 teenagers the first 2 weeks in august.upon arrival we were greeted with cold drinks and directed towards a portable desk away from the reception to help speed up our check in which was quicker than a lot of past holidays.we were told that we could wait with our cases and be transported via golf buggies with our luggage or we could make our own way to our rooms (which we did) and our luggage would follow within 10 minutes which it did.
our room had 2 double beds and also a single bed which was a bonus with myself,my wife and teenage son sharing the room.i must say that the beds were the most comfortable we have ever had on hoiday.we were on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and our room was spotless with a flat screen tv,mini bar,safe and even an ironing board if required.our shower in the bathroom could of been better but i have had worse !.our room had good ac and a ceiling fan which we had on 24/7.
the main buffet restaurant is the best that i have had the privilege of using this being my 7th all inclusive holiday.it is not very big and can get quite busy at peak times but the quality of the food is very good.my only complaint would be that at breakfast although the restaurant had 2 omelette stations only 1 was in use most of the times and on a couple of occasions i had to wait over 10 minutes for an omelette.
the hotel has 3 a la carte restaurants mexican,brazilian and fish.we only tried the brazilian but was dissapointed with the service but not the food because we never had 2 different meats on our plate at the same time,they would bring the meat to you but by the time they returned with another meat by the same person you had all ready eaten your previous.
we did not try the mexican because 1 night they had a mexican theme night in the buffet restaurant and we were told it was the same and it was good but lacked a lttle spice for my liking.
the hotel pool is very well designed with a permanent place for both water polo and vollyball,with a central spa and a swim up bar.the animation team are excellent and i even joked with "deedee" that the pool was to warm and that she should fill the pool with some ice cubes ! but it is the warmest pool i have ever had on holiday.there are plenty of sunbeds so no need to get up at silly o clock to reserve them both at the pool or on the beach.the sea did have a lot of seaweed which might put some people off a little but the staff keep the beach spotless.
If you like your meat then do not miss the beach bbq on saturday lunch were you can eat as much steak,chicken,lamb chops,pork steaks and sausages as you can but be warned you will not want any more food in the evenning.
the animation team seem do a good job with the shows in the evening and though they are not really my thing the lion king show was excellent.one way the hotel could improve would be to introduce another bar away from the entertainment theatre which is right next to the lobby bar so even if you do not want to see the shows you hear them.
this was my 3rd visit to the dominican republic and i feel some staff now expect to be tipped rather than you tip for excellent service and our waiter was to much in your face and false so did not get a tip but we gave generous tips to 2 members of the bar staff who had been great all holiday without tipping in the 1st week and to our excellent maid who kept our room spotless all holiday.
so i would reccomend this hotel if like us you want a nice chilled out holiday which is a very well run and maintained hotel with excellent quality food,

Room Tip: i would reccomend a room on the top floor (level 3) because you do not hear anybody above you and ro...
2 Thank nigel s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my 15 days here. I was vacationing alone and found it very easy to meet other vacationers and make friends.

My room was great. Extremely clean! The house keeping was great!

The food was decent enough. It is an all inclusive so you will see the same things on the menu often. But the food quality was not too bad. The specialty restaurants were just ok too. I am not a picky eater so everything tasted fine to me. But I'm sure the food was not the highest quality.

The Animation team is fantastic! They are all very passionate about their jobs and really give it 100% every single day!

The nightly entertainment was actually ok. They have a great stage and the set technicians do a great job changing things up nightly. The singers and dancers themselves were a bit lacking in talent, but they still put on a fun show. Don't get me wrong there were some dancers and singers that were good, but over all some work could be done.

My biggest complaint is the hotel staff as a whole. Some bartenders, front desk staff, and waiters were absolutely great! But they were few and far between. The majority of the staff seems to lack intrest and motivation in what they are doing and it definitely shows. Better management would clean this up easily.

The pools are nice, the swim up bar is a great hangout spot. However, the fountains need a bit more upkeep. There were quite green when I was there.

The grounds look nice. The grass and landscape are extremely well kept!

All in all I definitely enjoyed my stay. and I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

However, I still believe the staff needs a bit of a wake up call in terms of good guest service interactions.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank Bsydes
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Last summer we had an amazing trip to Iberostar's Montego Bay resort in Jamaica. Loving the service, we decided to try another Iberostar--expecting the same quality for the same number of stars. I had read the poor reviews about Costa Dorado, and was sure this was the malcontent of some people who couldn't find happiness. However, I found most of their complaints to be true.
The property is beautiful and well designed. The food was very good, too.
But the negatives outweighed the positives. The service staff needs training on how to engage guests. Restaurant staff never asks if we want water, or need anything. We had to always seek out service. On three occasions a waiter arrived with a wine menu after we had fully completed our dinners. The wait staff never asked if we enjoyed our meals, our day, etc…
The entertainment staff was hit or miss. My family found Tekilla, PepsiCoca, Chocolate, HuluHulu, and DeeDee to be very friendly and personable. However the other "animation" team members were not engaging at all. On our last morning our towel was stolen from our chair, one member of the social team told me that I shouldn't have played a pool game--rather I should have watched my towel! WHAT NERVE!
We had a room problem the very first day. After a 90 minute delay in getting our rooms ready (not made available until 4:30pm), we discovered the room had an awful first floor view of the service path and the sliding patio doors were broken. Mari at the reception desk helped make arrangements to relocate us, and we were grateful that she was able to put us in a much nicer room. It was disheartening, though, when she was first addressed with the room problem and she said, "oh yes, that room isn't very good." Our second room had a great poolside view, and looked much brighter. I was never fully comfortable in the rooms though, once a group of other guests we met suffered from bedbug bites in their room on their fifth night (not in the same building).
I know I will never return to Iberostar Costa Dorado, and I might need to go back to Montego Bay to regain my trust in Iberostar Hotels.
My family knows how to have a good time, so despite the problems we had a great vacation. But, we all agree that this hotel didn't live up to our expectations.

Room Tip: We thought our rooms with a poolside view were well located. They were equally distant to the resta...
2 Thank Michele M
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here for two weeks over the Easter period. On arrival there was an issue with the room being a twin instead of a double bed. This was immediately resolved and we were moved to a room facing away from the pool, which was nicer as it was quieter. We cannot fault the food in any of the restaurants, although the mexican was not our preference. The rooms are spacious and well kept, cleaned daily. The pool is massive and we found on some days it was really busy, which created a short wait for the bar. The barman was extremely friendly and efficient (Izi). We did not experience any of the horror stories about the local people, there was a local holiday and we were warned that the hotel may seem busier over a couple of days. It was busier, but we didnt see anyone pushing in and no one was rude to us. The beach is just on the edge of the hotel and is beautiful and idyllic but windy in the afternoon. The waiting staff are all fantastic with too many to mention by name, Robert and Carlos were particular favouites though. They all deserve a "pat on the back" and maybe a huge bonus from the boss !! The evening entertainment was the best we have ever experienced abroad, as they put on a professional show. It wasnt the west end, but very good for an all inclusive hotel. The daytime had a full itinary with something for everyone including archery, shooting, aerobics, spanish lessons, dancing lessons and beach games. We went on a trip to the brewery, the paradise island and the safari. Manny was our guide on the safari, he is so funny and made it very entertaining for us. Paradise island was beautiful, but make sure you take plenty of high factor cream even if you are already brown ! The holiday itself was quite expensive, but we felt it was worth it. The flight on the dreamliner was a good experience with more room in the cabin and individual screens for your own entertainment. The seats are more comfortable than a regular aircraft, so a little nap was possible. The time appeared to pass quickly. In summary, we would return to the island and the hotel as we thoroughly enjoyed our time there. Many thanks to all at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Squashymush39
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Had been there several times and as a local I had visited most if not all hotels in the area and can tell you that by far this is the best resort in Puerto Plata. Just don't expect something luxurious and you will be fine, remember that it is a caribbean resort and may have some flaws.

Beach: the beach is good but it is not as nice as Punta Cana with powder white sand but is a big beach and you can walk for hours if you want to take a long walk, they provide towels and lounges to sunbath.

Pool: is big and is surrounded by the buildings but sure that you can get a palapa with shade if you wake up early in the morning. Beside the pool they have a restaurant with meals and It is the only hotel in Puerto Plata that has Ice Cream & cones available at the pool and to make it better it is unlimited.

Food: It is not as good as on a Cruise Ship but is not bad, actually it is delicious and a lot of variety from fresh fruits to several meats. They have a buffet restaurant and a brazilian and mexican a la carte restaurants so I took only the buffet and loved the food. The desserts some of them were awesome. On the morning they have yogurts, omelets to order, pancakes also Kellogs cereals and I think this tell the quality of the ingredients that they use

Entertainment: I think that they do a great job trying to involve the guests to participate in several activities and I enjoy more watching than participating but you can go ahead if you want to. At nights they do kids shows and then a main act and seems pretty good not the boring shows that used to be.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The resort is very clean,food is good, beach is beautiful. The only problem is that they need to train their staff on equality. If you are a Dominican and want to be treated with courtesy and respect don't go there. The staff won't even look at you once they figure out where your from. I did noticed that some guest behave inappropriate and are rude to the staff, but that does not give them the right to judge all Dominicans the same. I paid as much as the other guest and deserve proper treatment. I stayed in several resort in Punta Cana and had the same negative treatment, untill I started tipping with American Dollars. In other words I had to pay extra in order to receive the treatment that all guest are entitled to. My advise to the personnel of the resorts is if you don't want Dominicans at your resorts find other ways to discourage them from staying at your resorts. Don't wait till we spend our hard own money on a place where we are treated with disrespect.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view.
4 Thank Zory784
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 12 August 2014

After we tried several places in Dominican Republic I can tell everybody that the best place to go it this Hotel but not in Punta Cana but in Costa Dorada. If you want to feel like home, have the best food and entertaiment/ clean room and spend on a top resonable money.
We were at list 9 times and in between we tried a lot of Riu, Barcelo, Amsha Marina, Catalonia, Allegro... After each try we came back to our paradise. This is not only my opinion. We always meet people repeaters...

Room Tip: any good, but beach view the best
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Plata
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#6 of 39 in Puerto Plata
Be Live Collection Marien
#9 of 39 in Puerto Plata
ClubHotel Riu Bachata
#11 of 39 in Puerto Plata

Been to Iberostar Costa Dorada? Share your experiences!