“Had a Wonderful Vacation!”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 March 2009

My huband and I were invited to goto one of my best friends weddings and we saved up our pennies as we wouldn't have missed this for the world! John and I stayed here from March 9th-16th and had a blast!

Rooms were clean and comfortable...Our Chambermaid Claire was really good and keeping our room tidy, minbar/fridge stocked and providing us with lots of towels.

The pool was huge! I swam in it twice and thought it was fine.

Beach was a bit windy but overall it was nice.

Lots of avtivities to do all day long (I played tennis, basketball, ping pong, beach volleyball and John and I were horseshoe champions)! Oh, if you like Casino's there are a few in the area...One is right next door to us and was built in December....The guys went over ther one night...It's a bit small though and only handles DR pesos but it's convenient/close.

Food was amazing!!!!! Can't go wrong with the buffet (so big)
The Brazilian was our fav (all 22 of us)...Chelaine and Joel had the Brazilian reserved only for them and their guests after their beach wedding...We had it all to ourselves and had a wonderful time! We even had a Bachata lesson and danced with the staff! :)
You get sirloin, fillet, chicken, pork, sausage, lamb a loaded baked potato, corn on the cob, grilled veggies. buffet for apps, caparhinia's for drinks....good times...we all liked it so much we went again on our last day!
The Tropical was good...Order the salmon or if you don't like seafood order the stuffed pork. The scallops are terrible!
The Mexican was also good...I had the Flank Steak au Gratin. JOhn ordered some beef taco which was super spicy (and he likes spicy)...so beware!

The drinks were also very good...I checked out the cocktail menu at the lounge bar and there were a list of several tropical/fruity drinks to choose from. I liked the Bahama Mama's, Coco Loco's and Blue Daquiri's the best!

John and I did an ATV tour with the newlyweds and had a great time! Be prepared to get dirty....It was loads of fun!

John and I also went alone to the Jasmine Spa for the day. It was very relaxing and enjoyed the beautiful scenery, spa services (we had massages and facials) and food. It was a terrific day!

So as you can see, we had an incredible time! All in all it was a nice resort to vacation...especially with a large group...we were never bored that's for sure!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tammylp12

Reviewed 16 March 2009

... old. Hotel was great the first time I visited it in 2002. It was still fresh (maybe after renovation). I had only good memories about the hotel and decided to go there again. When I arrived there I was surprised - first lights in the room did not work, then electricity went out after I connected blow dryer, door handle was broken... etc... The only wow thing is that I found a good deal and paid 1k per person for 10 nights and a flight from NYC. Half a year before I visited Punta Cana - Gran bahia principe - I enjoyed it a lot, and going back to Bahia Principe Ambar in two weeks.
Dont get me wrong, Iberostar Costa Dorada is a good hotel, yes its dated and yes there are better hotels for the same price but ONLY in punta cana. btw beach in punta cana is better.
To sum up:
Hotel - dated, no longer a 4-5*. Needs renovation and name change to lets say Riu, not iberostar brand.
Service - good
Food - Out of 5, I would give 4. I've seen better all inclusive. Try BP punta cana or even Sun village resort in puerto plata.
Nightlife - standard
Beach - not the best in DR. Try punta cana. Too much sea weed
Pool - one gigantic pool - not very fun.

If it is not much more expensive, go to punta cana. Better hotels there - Iberostars, Bahia principe, majestic, excellence - all better.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank grimusa
Reviewed 13 March 2009

It was important for us that there was a good gym at the hotel that we were going to stay at, (I'am sure there are people like us out there) well this hotel has a good enough gym to suit most.
The hotel overall is fantastic, hire a car and have a drive around, there are a few places well worth a visit (and some not) and you can come and go as you please.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Philip C
Reviewed 11 March 2009

My family and I stayed at the Iberostar Costa Dorada for one week at the end of February and loved it! There was my husband, my 10 month old baby and myself (along with many aunts/uncles and cousins) The service was great and the resort is as beautiful as I have read in other reviews. The food was good - but not the best that I have had. There could have been a bit more variety, but I never went to bed hungry! I will say that the chocolate donuts were the best that I had ever had in my life! I am not a huge donut fan, but I started out having one in the morning and by the end of the week I was having two or three!! Anyway, I thought most of the night shows were great. There were a few nights where the shows were NOT good, but it wasn't a big deal. I did think that the rooms could have been a bit nicer to live up to the 4.5 star rating, but we didn't go there to stay in our rooms the whole time. I really appreciated the mini-bar with lots of bottled water and other drinks. It was very convenient to have a coffee maker in the room too as I used it to make hot water to clean baby things. The maids did a great job cleaning. One day we entered our room to a horrible paint smell to find out that they were doing some painting near our room. We couldn't stand the smell and so we asked to be moved to a different room and we were moved without a problem.
I have seen many different resorts in Puerto Plata, including Sosua and Cabarete and I definetly find this one the very best. You pay a bit more to stay here, but it is worth it. For those wondering about traveling with babies, I would say go for it as long as you are prepared. Bring lots of diapers, baby sunscreen, baby food, formula
(if needed) as these items are very costly to get there. I do recommend that you bring a floatation device with a canopy cover for the pool as this is very handy to keep the sun off of baby. Oh yeah, there is a new casino that opend up right next to this hotel. I guess it is small (I never went) but it is something to do if you get bored.
We had a great time and would recommend this property.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank travellozanda
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I thoroughly researched Iberostar before booking and I was not disappointed in my choice. Everything we asked for was granted and the staff was impeccable. I did not come across one employee who did not greet you with a smile.

We requested an oceanfront room and got 1113 which is a fantastic room. No complaints about the room - bed was good, fridge was restocked every day, fun towel animals left by housekeeping, everything worked the way it should. Even though it rained a few days, we were happy we could play cards while looking at the ocean.

Food - food was okay. I think what I most realized was that the US uses so much sugar in their food. The DR does not - so the desserts aren't as rich or sweet as back home. There was quite a selection of food. I didn't find it salty as some reviewed. I can see how some people may get tired of it after two weeks though. The grouper in El Bohio was fantastic. Nevertheless, both my husband and I had some intestinal problems later in the week - but we expected that.

Staff - As I mentioned before - great! They work such long hours. We especially liked the Mr. Iberostar show and were quite impressed with the Lion King. The Star friends just keep going and going. Again, found the drinks were great - we loved the caipirinha and the banana daiquiris. If they weren't strong enough, we would just ask for more rum, and they would top us off. I was disappointed that I didn't see a lot of people tipping - these people work so hard, so long and just keep smiling. Tip people! Just $1 would be fine.

As for excursions, we just did a catamaran trip which was great and also went to the rum factory. We were happy just to be together and hang out around the resort. We saw no reason to leave since we had everything we needed right there.

Room service would be a great addition to the resort. As for bugs, we hardly saw but a few. The landscaping was great.

We did go over to the spa - I had a body treatment that I thought was fairly priced and had a manicure - she did a great job. Was disappointed that out of the 4 jacuzzis, only 1 was working that week.

Was an amazing week, would definitely return...wish I could go back now!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
10  Thank RMcGraw
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I found the hotel,staff and facilities were great. We stayed for a week at teh start of March and had great weather. From a quick checkin to clean rooms our first impression was very positive. The food was fresh and had a wids range of choices, although im not sure I could have coped with buffet approach for more than 1 week. I came home craving set meals rather my greedy mix and match approach to the buffet.

We mostly used the beach and stayed away from the pool - due to the nice breeze and the lack of noise on the sand. I found it clean and relaxing with no problems finding sun loungers or spots to sit in. We enjoyed the BBQ at lunch on 2 occasions which made a nice change.

The staff were always warm and helpful, we didnt have any problems. The spa was great and I would recommend using the beach side location. they went to the trouble of having a cake delivered to the room for my friends birthday while we were there.

The only 2 downsides really to this trip, nightlife and the guys on teh beach once we left the hotel grounds. We are both in our 30s and didnt feel the entertainment was anything special. Yes the team put alot of effort in and are always available to get involved, but it just not my kind of thing. I felt the resort died around 11, and there was nothing else going on if you didnt want to watch the shows. The only area which started to annoy us was the constant number of sellers on the beach once we left the hotel. This isnt a reflection on the hotel and once we said no thanks we were left alone but we werent prepared for the number of times this would happen. I understand they are only trying to make a living but just be aware its pretty constant.

So this was a great place to chill out and forget about the world for a week, but a week was just the right amount of time.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
9  Thank scaroha
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Just returned from a wonderful two week stay here. The Iberostar Costa Dorada definitley lives up to the Iberostar reputation for quality and service. This resort is a gem in every way and runs like a well-oiled machine! Food is great and plentiful, service is stellar, staff are ebullent and engaging in every service, and the resort itself is a colourful and picturesque setting. And it's just the right size....not too large....you can get to anywhere by foot effortlessly. The pool and beach are top-notch. No rushing to reserve a spot is necessary...in fact it's prohibited by the resort...there are lots of loungers for both sun and shade. The grounds, pool and beaches are constantly cleaned and groomed...fresh every day. Rooms and facilities are kept spotless. Every request is instantly and cheerfully responded to by any staff. They all work hard to please. The entertainment was weak the first week but great the second week. Resort location is perfect, proximal to both airport and Puerto Plata..and a liesurely 20 minute walk along the beach to Playa Dorada shopping plaza. I'd highly recommend Iberostar Costa Dorada as a great value-for money destination.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family