“Just the best holiday - only there for a week - could have stayed longer.”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Newmilns
“Just the best holiday - only there for a week - could have stayed longer.”
Reviewed 4 July 2009

Just returned from Iberostar Costa Dorada. This was the best holiday we have ever had. The check in on the bus meant that when we arrived our rooms were already allocated and porters were waiting to take our luggage away and we were welcomed with with a cool drink.

The room we were initially allocated was next to the main dining room and a thoroughfare for the rest of the complex. We asked to be moved and this wasn't a problem. We were moved, by porter, to a room much further from the main building. It was quiet and there were no issues with passers by.

The food was excellent - there was something for everyone. If you can't find something to suit you then they will make it for you, nothing was too much trouble. All the staff without exception were extremely friendly, they couldn't do enough for us.

As we were only there for a week we only did one trip, to Paradise Island. A trip not to be missed. A trip that will will live with us for ever it was so special.

We didn't use the pool, the beach was so clean and inviting, the water was warm and really lovely. The staff on the beach were the same as the hotel, couldn't do enough for you and were extremely friendly. Nothing was a problem for them. We took out a double Kayak and we hired a snorkel for an hour to see the fantasic reef and fish that swim nearby.

Unfortunately as we were only there for a week we didn't experience much of the entertainment but other holidaymakers who were there said it was the best they had ever seen. Certainly the staff seemed to put their heart and soul into it, both by day and at night. What we saw was really first class.

We really had a fantastic holiday - no hassle, no pressure. Sorry we had to leave as we only booked for a week but as soon as we possibly can we'll be back for 2 weeks. Can't wait!

7 Thank Corriesmum

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,248)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
scotland
Reviewed 4 July 2009

Before coming to the Iberostar Costa Dorada I took the time to look at reviews online, usually taking the view that there will be one review over the top in favour of the hotel and another similarly dismissive. I read one that was pretty clear about the hotel and said no way was it five star but all the other reviews were pretty even. I recall thinking ‘come on, you can’t please everyone what IS it that you’re really looking for?’
Ill be honest and say that I wasn’t looking forward to the holiday after we had been forced to rebook after the overkill to the swine flu outbreak meant we had to cancel our holiday to the Mayan Riviera in Cancun. When we were choosing where to go I actively said no to the Dominican Republic but we had little choice in the end.
Arriving at the hotel it looked laid back in usual Caribbean style and a welcome drink and friendly staff were pleasant after a day of travelling. The room was fresh, a little dated but had clearly been recently painted but it was air-conditioned and clean.
However it sort of goes downhill after dinner. Food is plentiful, varied and buffet style. There are a couple of small restaurants which you can book and eat in, no cost etc but having experienced the less than warm welcoming atmosphere we didn’t book more than one night in each of these. The air conditioned room for eating in was a welcome haven from the warmer dining room but that was the only benefit really. In the Mercado the staff are friendly, helpful and always on hand to offer more wine etc and the odd tip works wonders in all areas of the hotel.
Sadly, there is no “haven” from the dreadful ‘animation entertainment’ appearing nightly in the bar area. There is only one cocktail bar open after the dining rooms have closed and this is disappointing as the only view you have of the Caribbean is the road running past the hotel via the security gates. What a missed opportunity?! Why not have a bar away from the melee of the continual “applause applause” of the compere where couples can get away from the “Mr Iberostar” competition, or indeed the “Mr & Mrs” night. I kid you not, this is not the five star entertainment we thought we were going to be experiencing.
The hotel can do much more to make the experience of a tropical holiday more memorable but they just fail to make the effort. The entertainment starts at around 9.30 pm nightly and continues for just a tortuous hour but given that this is the only entertainment it is neither appropriate nor encompassing. It doesn’t offer anything for those who may want to spend romantic evenings alone, there is no piano bar or a more sophisticated environment and this is reflected in the guests who make no effort to dress for dinner or follow the never-enforced dress code.
We expected tropical weather, storms and a laid back Caribbean attitude to a holiday, but when a hotel is advertised as a five star hotel, it should aim to achieve that. For the standard of the food, the staff and the beachside location I would have said this hotel at best achieves a four star rating but add on the almost punishing entertainment (still audible unless you’re in your hotel room) which offers a show close to a holiday camp a la Butlins/Pontins and I’d say the hotel is more three star.
I’ve just been reminded about the daytime activities which are varied and never forced on anyone, such as archery, shooting, volleyball, darts and dance lessons. However, there is the daily “bingo” which is only patronised by around ten people each day yet is droned out in five languages so that it goes on ad nauseum. All too Butlins again I’m afraid.
The other issue is the sunbed. These were plentiful around the pool, kind of “sardine-like” in that there was no privacy or space between them. Similarly if you weren’t near the pool and didn’t want to be on the beach, the alternative was the little pathways where you were again lying with others like sardines to get the sunshine. The beds too could do with an upgrade and generally this is true of the whole hotel. Furthermore, there is a cloudy pool which is clearly in need of some renovation and no amount of persuasion would get us into it as there appeared to be no filtration obviously working, sadly this appeared the same for the poor turtles in the reception area which were existing in green water on rocks covered in green weed. However, I was gratified that after raising my concerns with the hotel reception, the next day the pool was cleaned and the turtles appeared to have a clean environment again. Once again, this lack of attention to detail was disappointing as if you are going to have a “feature” at least make sure that it is a feature that has a wow factor, not a “yuck” factor.
My penultimate point there is a continual stream of local folk trying to generate interest for the local flea market, or excursions which are peddled on the beach. Whilst a simple no is usually sufficient, when you go on holiday to relax and lie in the sun, I’m not sure I’m happy that these merchants are allowed to approach you to sell you their “experience” be it the local disco or hair braiding and I think the hotel could do more to regulate this activity too. My partner was unhappy that on a couple of nights there was a Dominican market brought onto the hotel and it literally felt like we were running the gauntlet of the merchants selling their “authentic” jewellery and/or wooden artifacts – not quite so accepting of “no”. Laughing now at the memory of the cigar merchants who were almost horrified when we told them we didn’t smoke, it seemed almost beyond their comprehension that we wouldn’t want to buy their cigars.
Finally, I was delighted to notice there was a wireless function in the hotel. I had taken a laptop to catch up on some work emails should my Blackberry not work. It didn’t thanks to no coverage so at least I could keep updated. Yes, for a cost. $5 for a half hour stint or $13.50 for 24 hours.
For any five star hotel to charge for the facility of using the wireless network, which (let’s face it) costs the hotel nothing and would be offering a facility given freely by other five star hotels (including the one we were originally going to in Cancun) is a marketing disaster. The internet room was cool on the other hand so on occasion this was a welcome oasis. On so many levels it is trying to be five star then adopts “penny pinching” ways of fleecing its customers – including the high price of items in the on-site shop. I tried to buy some acyclovir cream for a coldsore until I realised it was going to cost around six hundred Dominican Republic dollars, or $20, or a staggering £15 or so.
I would hate that this review comes across that I am a snob, I’ve stayed in five star hotels which have been too pretentious and some three stars which have been fantastic value. I felt let down for my partner that his first Caribbean experience was underwhelming.

1 Thank foreverlegs
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 4 July 2009

This Resort was absolutely superb – it was so good I really don’t know where to start with this review.

Upon arrival we were met with drinks and our bags were brought (fairly promptly) up to our room. The reception area is stunning (with terrapins and flamingos living within the reception area). It is so clean, everything is made of marble and the staff are very well presented, good English speakers and extremely polite and helpful. Also the grounds around the hotel were beautiful. A huge amount of time and effort is obviously put into keeping the place looking good and it shows. It’s gorgeous.

The food on offer was of a very good standard (certainly the best food I have ever had within a hotel by far). There were 3 specialty restaurants (with a fairly limited menu I must admit – 6 or 7 choices for main course) and there was a bit of a dress code for them (that being long trousers and shoes (not sandals) for men. This dress code is enforced and I saw someone get turned away with ¾ length trousers on. There didn’t seem to be any hard and fast rule for women. The food and service on offer in the specialty restaurants was good and I can’t see them getting many complaints here. The best food however was in the buffet restaurant. There was a huge choice of food and always something to please everyone (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I always looked forward to my meals – it was so nice, clean and welcoming.

The rooms were good, plenty big enough and were air conditioned 27/7. There were spacious, well cleaned every day, fumigated every week (which resulted in us only seeing 1 dead cockroach all fortnight) and were equipped with coffee making facilities, TV and free mini bar.

The pool area was good. Free beach towels were always on offer, plenty of space and sun beds for everyone. There was a bar and snack service open all day here too. The beach is just at the back of the pool (about a 1 minute walk). Again there are plenty of sun beds here and a bar so you are never far from your next drink!!! Don’t expect white sands and clear blue seas here though (it is the Atlantic ocean) however the beach and sea is very nice, well maintained and there is normally a slight breeze here, which is nice and refreshing.

There is a lot of entertainment on offer all day (everything from shooting to pool games to Spanish lessons). We joined in sometimes and it was quite good fun, however you aren’t in any way forced to take part if you don’t want to. The entertainment team are very good and it was all free!!! There was also snorkelling, sea kayaks, wind surfing and catamarans with the all inclusive (however we weren’t told you had to have a lesson for wind surfing and the catamaran 1st and this cost $40, that was about the only hidden charge we encountered though.).

While we were there we also swam with dolphins at Ocean World. This was great fun; however at $165 each I personally didn’t think it was worth what we paid. We also went out on the dune buggies, which was great fun and well worth doing. We did get absolutely filthy though so be prepared for this. The last thing we did was walk up to the Brugal rum factory. This was only a 10 minute walk and despite being told it was safe once we left the resort we suddenly felt very vulnerable and wouldn’t recommend doing this unless you could walk in a group or arrange some transport.

All in all the holiday was excellent and this was because of the quality of the hotel. I can’t speak highly enough about the Iberostar and I would love to go back and would recommend it to other travellers without hesitation. If you go here I really don’t see how you would be disappointed.

Hope this helps!!!!!

7 Thank AntYorkshire_England
Blyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Well we have been home 3 days now from the ICD and I really could go back tomorrow! All in all this was the best holiday both my boyfriend and I have had. Excellent holiday although nothing is 100% perfect and there were a little few things I believe potential visitors might like to hear about as I know I would. I know this will be long as I have so much to say lol!

Outbound Flight
Flew with Thomas Cook and the inflight service was great, constantly fed and watered and good films to watch, couldnt fault it at all.

Arrival at airport
Was very pleased on the speed of the bags arriving on the carousel and the short time to the hotel....be prepared for the heat to hit you as you walk out the airport..was very hot but so nice!

Arrival at the hotel
What else can I say but wow!! After seeing the other hotels we dropped people off at, we were well chuffed when we saw ours, it is absolutely gorgeous, the reception area is out of this world - truly 5 Star! After a welcome drink we were given an envelope with our hotel room number on it, and with all the relevant info, keys and towel cards and we were off to our room....which was comedy us trying to find it lol...didnt take us long to figure out how the room blocks worked though.

Our room
On arrival to our room - (which we were really pleased to have been given a room with a view of the beach by the way) we were happy to see we had a massive kingsize bed and also champagne organised by my clever bf as a surprise for me!! My first little niggle here...the room was nice but it wasnt 5 star standard that matched the reception area to the hotel. I really didnt expect it to be out of this world being a 5 star in the Dominican but it was a slight let down. The bathroom was quite small but thats all you need, it did need a bit of an update though, but it was all nipping clean and thats the important bit. A/C, ceiling fan, stocked mini bar, TV with English speaking channels, in room safe ($2 a day) and an iron and ironing board, hairdryer and a lovely balcony with a fab view..My GHD's worked too - wey hey..and the straight hair lasted all of....hmmm half an hour and it was like Monica off Friends haha...ponytails and plaits for 2 weeks..Had the room fumagated after one week, but only saw one tiny spider but we did have a small lizard stay with us for the two weeks but thats part of being in the caribbean, actually thought it was nice to have him stay, he was dead cute!

I am a terrible fussy eater and was dreading not liking any food, well all I can say is that me and my bf have put on well over half a stone, so that should tell you theres loads to choose from! The best meal of the day tho for me was breakfast, there is a chef that does lovely omlettes in the fastest time for you and there is loads of food to choose from..we tried the Mexican and Brazilian restaurants. There are 2 sittings, 6.30 and 8.45 and we booked the day before for each through guest services near reception. Mexican food was really nice, Brazilian ok, not sure bout them bringing different meats round in intervals, I prefer all my food on my plate at the same time lol..didnt try the fish restaurant as I dont like seafood, but ate there through the day when it acted as the pool bar/restaurant and it was good. No dodgy tummys at all for either of us..happy days lol

Bars
We spent our evenings in the lobby bar and the bar men were lovely, knew what we wanted as we were walking to the bar to be served..must have known we were geordies haha..the drinks are very strong too..large measures of smirnoff plus the heat equals -getting you drunk very quickly!! Try the blue margherita's they are so refreshing...not very strong but gorgeous! we did try the nightclub a couple of times for a change of music, from the merengue as you do hear it everywhere else (ano its the caribbean and thats the music to expect lol but it is nice to hear some popular european/chart style music once in a while) but being honest it was a little offputting/intimidating in there, especially on a weekend when there were Domincans in there in large numbers. Would have been nice to have a separate bar area away from the entertainment as after a week the compere does start to get..lets say slightly irritating...speedy gonzales plus james brown noises at the end of everything he says did wear thin a bit lol.

Staff and tipping
In general I would say they were fab..largest number of friendly and courteous people I have ever met! Our Cleaner was the loveliest person ever, there were the odd few 'strange' ones but I can honestly not fault them. Christina the girl who gave the towels out was also lovely...AAA to the wonderful staff. We took money for tips after reading about it on here and always tipped after our meals and at the bar and it proved very handy getting served fast at the bar!! Have to say though it was very rare we saw others tipping, and having worked in the states myself and being used to tipping there, was very very shocked to see on lots of occasions, Americans not making any effort to tip, and on many occasions even thank the girls serving the drinks to the tables...

The beach and pool
Was really nice and so peaceful, we preferred it to the pool area as it was quite lively with all the activities from the hardworking star friends. Pool was fine though, jacuzzi was really nice and relaxing..was a few bits that needed some paintwork but nothing major..As said before in other reviews there is seaweed at the beach and in the sea and it was expected - it is the Atlantic..it did get quite bad near the end of our holiday but we were used to it by then - so no big problem...My major negative of the whole holiday was that we were not told of the coral so close to the shore and myself and several other people that I saw ended up with a lot of cuts and bruises from not being aware of it, as you couldnt actually see it! There should be notices up making it clear as I did see some nasty injuries.There is a lifeguard who we saw running like lightening to help a struggling swimmer, very impressed with that, as the sea could get quite rough but they had warning flags to alert people to the conditions. It did get windy most of the days we were there..usually from 2.30ish...got quite sandy to say the least lol..the wind was very welcome though to cool you down. Also Sand Flies - they DO exist, I know some people have said there werent any but they have been the extremely lucky ones that escaped them! I was bitten to death on the lower parts of my legs, and they itch like hell and hurt, they are not pleasant at all...only got the odd tiny mozzy bite tho but thats expected and part of your holiday really..

Trips
We only did one as we went for a relaxing break really. Did ocean World and the sealion encounter - for $70 it was money well spent, we both loved it! The Sealions were fab, be prepared to get soaked by the cheeky things, they were fab! Dolphin show was great and the whole experience is truly a one off experience - highly recommended..Pictures with the encounter were $13 each and I also had my pic took with a dolphin for $10. If you spend over $30 you can have them delivered to your hotel and pay when they deliver them too.

Our rep
Bev our Thomas Cook rep was one of the best reps I have met, couldnt have been more down to earth or helpful, she was a really nice lady. The Thomson rep was also great..couldnt fault them..well done to them. Was nice to have a rep that you felt confident with should there have been a problem.

Return journey
Take water with you to the airport, it is unbelievably hot as you check in! BE very careful with weight allowances, loads and loads of people were getting charged excess baggage, us included...We were 2.4 kgs over and got charged £30..the check in staff were pretty bad, rude and they obviously treat excess baggage as a law...people were getting charge for being 0.5kg over..so be careful with your packing, put stuff in your handluggage to escape the charges, they were worst I have seen and I used to work in the airline industry so dealt with hundreds..Duty Free is an experience..have fun lol. We paid to go in the VIP area and got free drinks and sandwiches, crisps etc and it was well worth the dosh..air conditioned, nice and clean. Money well spent there.

Finally - my last negative..
I had read on here about it but was still surprised to see it...there was a lot of outside guests shall we say in the company of middle aged and more senior men and others that were looking for 'company' especially at the weekend. Saw some incidents of violence with these 'guests' which in my honest opinion shouldnt be happening in a 5 star hotel. The hotel shouldnt really be allowing this to happen, I know they get paying Dominicans in at the weekend which I dont really agree with either but the other 'female guests' should be stopped completely. The hotels focus should be on their paying guests and their best interests.

Overall though, we had a brilliant time and many many laughs, dont know if we would go back, we would probably try a different resort, just because we both like to try new places, but we might go back in years to come and would definitley try another iberostar resort. we would recommend this hotel to everyone, it was good value for money, good weather and lovely people.

5 Thank MissusThomas
NYC
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Okay here it is...I spent months reading these reviews and I got crazy! We are picky & cranky New Yorkers and EVERYTHING bothers us so you could just imagine what I was expecting after all of these reviews!

Airport/Registration
Great - Great - Great - Prieto tours was THE BEST (someone here made a HUGE complaint about them and I was worried) and they were on the resort the entire week. We arrived at POP at 9:10 AM, literally got off the plane in 15 minutes and in 10 more minutes with our bags and the porter was putting our bags on the bus.
By 10:15 we were checked in and having a breakfast by the pool. It couldn't of been any easier - the front desk staff was so accommodating. We got the rooms we asked for and they are beautiful!

Fine - no complaints ate in all of the restaurants and we enjoyed everything. The presentation is so nice and people that complain are nuts.

Excursion
We met a worker who for $30 took all of us on a 4 hour guided city tour all over the island. We had a ball and met so many fun people.

Staff
Best I have ever seen and possibly the best part of the trip! We tipped everyone because a peso here and there gets you good service and we know they need it. I have been all over the place and have never seen people work like that! The show at night was our highlight and we laughed all night long with the audience participation shows. We had a ball all day with the staff and they couldn't do enough for the children. The band is great and in the heat of the day and humidity of the night they work like dogs....The water aerobics are so much fun!
OMG - The spa staff gets no credit but I got the best massage of my life for $60.00 in NYC that would be triple the price.

Pool/Beach
The beach water was dirty and the pool water on one occasion was gross but after that day I saw a guy cleaning the pool daily. The beach itself was really nice and there are so many loungers in the sun or in the shade. People do take loungers early but we just did the same and it was fine. The party atmosphere on the beach was great. The vendors didn't even bother us. We just said "No" before they even approached us and they ignored us all week.

Bars
There was a bar/restaurant around every corner. You could not go hungry or thirsty.

Checkout
We checked out at 12 PM and by 2:30 PM were in the air. The only problem we had was back in NYC because of a rainstorm. BTW - We didn't pay $20.00 leaving the island...lucky for us!

What I couldn't believe
How people can complain about anything? There were no mosquitoes - now I have 4 bottles of spray ... Broken items and unpainted pool floor?? Are people really that picky??? Come on! One of these postings even has a picture of an ant in their room...come on...please your in an open air tropical environment! We didn’t see one insect NOT ONE! There was NO wind on the beach or were there any sand flies....Anywhere you go it is hot- if it is at the beach or near the pool or on the top of the mountain....it is defiantly hot, but your body adjusts and your room has AC/Fan. The best are the complaints about the other guests and the smoking ( okay that was a little bad)...LOL...but we met the nicest people and everyone was so friendly.
Another complaint that I could NOT believe was how people complained about the drinks...LOL..they are drinks ..how can they mess them us. Your on vacation and drinking 24/7 when else do you want...anything we wanted we got for a week - coffees, liquor, beer, tropical drinks....ummmmm

Overall a great trip, I recommend it, and I give the staff all the credit in the world. Please go on vacation with an open mind and fun people and you will have the time of your life. I worried so much and even posted something up in the forum because I was so worried about our vacation.
Email me if you want some specifics...Laura

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank laf1017
Barry
Reviewed 2 July 2009

Absolutely fantastic honeymoon.

The Iberostar was simply fantastic, the rooms were very clean and the grounds were well maintained. The Star Friends entertainment team were brilliant- better than the evening entertainment dance team who I think need to freshen up their acts a bit and get in sync with eachother throghout their dance routines. It was so much better when the Star friends joined in with the evening shows, they certainly know how to entertain!

The food was brilliant with alot of variety, my husband was slightly dreading the food as he is very particular about certain things but he thoroughly enjoyed the meals. By the end of the two weeks we were a little bored with the food and wanted some home comforts but i think that's normal when you're on holiday.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone- you will not be disappointed.

One bit of advice, don't take white/light coloured bikini's/swim wear as ours went green in the pool and we've had to thow them out. fair do's this was brought up at the hotel and they did send my husband's swim shorts for a service wash which did solve the problem, but mine were handwash and by the time I got them home I had to put them in the bin! It's still a mystery as there was a guy in the pool every 2 hours or so cleaning the sides and the pool was exteremely clean. We think it was the chemicals they used to clean it.

All in all an amazing holiday and we will be returning- and as for the Malaria risk, we saw two mosy's the whole time we were there and didn't get bitten once!

3 Thank LoobyWilliams30
Toronto
Reviewed 1 July 2009

After reading the reviews on trip advisor I was very excited to try out Iberostar. To you give you a little history on my experience, I have been to four resorts this one being my fifth. All I can say is I am disappointed overall. Had this been the first resort I have ever been too, then yes I might say I am happy with the trip but I know better. However I may be in a different life stage than you, if you are a family with kids, read another review as my take may not be relevant to you. Anyone Under 30 I think you should read my review as my thoughts on this resort more than likely will apply to you.

The buffet was good, I usually have a weak stomach but for once I didn't get sick. (It could be because I took Dukarol for the first time before my trip which I recommend to anyone who has a weak stomach.) There were three a la cartes brazillian, mexican, and seafood these weren't that great. If I compare to other resorts' a la cartes in Punta Cana they cannot compare at all. Also if you have lunch by the pool be aware that birds walk into and eat the food.

Service was friendly, maybe too friendly for the conservative, if you are a single woman you tend to get a lot of the male staff coming on to you. If you do not mind the attention, they can be pretty funny to strike up conversations with. They have activities all day and try to keep everyone engaged. We got a taxi driver who's name I cannot pronounce or spell but I called him Hermen as that was a portion of his name. We gave him $20 USD and he took us on a personal tour around Puertu Plata for 4 hours. Try asking for him, he is great and will drive you around showing you so many things.

Nightlife there is a nearby club called Coco Bongo, this does not compare to the one in Mexico, it is very small and only fun if you go with the right people. The also have shows every night at the resort which are entertaining. The club inside the resort is pretty empty sometimes there was more than ten people.
Rooms
There were tiny ants on the resort, in our room and balcony and these buggers bite. They fumigated our room on our second last day but it was a little to late as our legs and backs were covered in bites.
We made some friends on the resort and one of them had problems with their a/c and they were stuck sleeping like that for a week. Glad that didnt happen to me b/c it was hot!

People have mentioned there are two pools in the reviews??? If they are referring to the kiddie pool that is ankle deep than yes you have two pools to look forward to... Seriously there is only one I don't think the kiddie pool should qualify as a point in your decision making. Also no pool bar, but there is one pretty close by where they serve lunch.

All in all if you are under the age of 30 do not go to this resort. It looks like families going on their first all-inclusive really enjoyed this place but that is mainly due to the entertainment.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends