We love the Iberostar chain. We know what to expect at each resort before we get there. This one was rated by ACV as a 4 1/2 star, but we were never disappointed. The price for the vacation was a lot less than the same chain in Mexico but the standards of food, entertainment, pools, rooms/beds and housekeeping were still the same. The only difference was in the “a la cart” restaurants. The ones in the DR were not quite as good as the Mayan or Lindo but for the price difference we were all very satisfied. I would still give it a 5 star.
We brought our young teenage daughters along but there weren’t many other kids that age for them to socialize with, so they had to stick with mom and dad. This would be a plus for couples traveling without kids. There was still plenty for them to do, water sports, shop, sea sports, beach sports etc, and they never once complained.
The food was great and after a week the buffets still offered enough variety that you never felt you were eating at the same place all week. We ate and drank everything we could and no one had any digestive problems except for maybe a bit too much rum. (The drinks were not watered down and my wife learned that “1/2 rum” meant ½ a glass of rum not ½ an ounce of rum as it does back home.)
I have never gone back to the same resort twice, there are too many places in the world to see before I die, but I would recommend this one to everyone who wanted to see the Puerto Plata area. The resort was top notch with no solicitations, time-shares or vendors on site. The nearest ATM was next door at the Hilton…and after visiting it several times…I was glad I stayed at the Iberostar. The Hilton was nice, but not quite as nice.
The highlight of our trip was a small sandbar called Paradise Island. It is a coral reef about 5 miles off shore and is one of the best places I have ever snorkeled in the tropics.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 498 Double Rooms and 18 spacious Junior Suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata