“International Convention Planner Recomends Iberostar”

Iberostar Costa Dorada
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 January 2011

This review is written through the eyes of a retired international corporate incentive planner. This was my first experience with the Iberostar brand and was very impressed. Lets start with Front Desk/ Reception. A very important group as they are your first and last impression of the resort. The team at this property are exceptional with a great attitude. Always helpful and eager to please. If an average is a 5, these folks are an 8.
We chose a Jr. Suite, Block 5, ground level. Very pleased with the room and was a delight to sit on the balcony/borch and watch the waves. House keeping are efficient and professional. Always have a smile.
Food and Beverage was excellent and the Executive Chef really knows his job. Special mention to Mr Jose Luis, Bar and Restaurants. Regardless of where you eat, he is there checking. By the third day I told him that I had met his twin. There must be two of them! He assured me that there was not!
F&B is above average and I would compare it to a Five Star Resort I have stayed at in Punta Cana. Amazing variety. One suggestion I did make to the management. They need to look at their A La Carte offerings. They are not really but rather a modified A La Carte. At each outled there ia a buffet spread to select your starter. This is pretty much a full buffet which in my mind makes no sense as well as costly. Why not offer an A La Carte starter such as a soup, salad, or a shrimp coctail. Make the evening a proper A La Carte. This applies at all three restaurents. The Mexican and Brazilian themes are excellent. The Seafood theme is bland and needs help. The food at all three is excellent and not an issue. Beverages were excellent with a great variety of drink options. Only one suggestion, the Tonic Water is horrible!! If you are a Gin or Vodka and tonic drinker, bring your own tonic. Not a major problem and we survived.
Enjoyable entertainment every evening. Clever the way the cast mixed with the guests before and after the show. Sound to loud at times but guess that is a sign of 'Age". The lady that runs the kids program is amazing and her "kids" were integrated into parts of the show.
Nice long beach. Lots of coral pieces if you get out early in the morning. There is seaweed, some days more than others however the clean up crews are out early every morning raking. Never once did we have a problem getting a chair or cover.
I have noticed some complaints about locals checking in on the weekends. I have no problem with this, in fact I enjoyed seeing them. They were clearly professionals and didn't see one baseball cap on backwards in the dining room. The roudy award goes to some North American folks.
The Punta Plata Iberostar is a great family resort and we were surprized at the number of young children. Certainly not a problem and by and large children were well behaved.
One of the things we appreciate is the attitude of the Dominican People. What a delight they are and could write the book on how to provide customer service. Starting with Jorge Martinez, Assistant Director to Jose Luis, F&B Subervisor (and his twin brother Jose Luis!), to the Animation teams, to the House Keeper, to the guy with the big knife that hacks and bashed the hedges and creates a masterpiece. All make you feel welcome and glad that you are there.
If you are reading this and are considering this resort, don't hesitate. It is a gem.

6  Thank Duffs66

Reviewed 30 January 2011

I found the staff all worked hard and spoke excellent English. My husband & I have done extensive travelling and purchased this vacation on a last minute deal.
Check in was O.K. It was late at night so were taken to our room. I was a little shocked to see the room. Not at all what either of us expected.. The room was quite small and very old. Our first complaint is that our toilet was broken and we were unable to flush. We waited for the repair person to arrive. He did something and it appeared to work albeit temporarily. In the morning we had to call him back.. It did flush for the rest of the week but also ran 24/7.
The grounds are well looked after. Always clean.
The entertainment staff were the best I have seen at any resort we have been to.
I thought the internet was expensive. $5.00 for a 1/2 hour or $15.00 for 24 hours (if you had your own laptop -- but you could only use your laptop in the lobby which was extremely noisey as extertainment threatre is off of the bar area).
Another negative I f feel is the $2.00 per day charge for the safe. If you need to be paid just add the $14.00 to my vacation package so I do not feel ripped off.
The biggest problem we had was with our Air Transat rep. We were told to use their book as the "bible". Check it for flight time changes, etc. Well our flight was delayed and no one travelling with Air Transat was informed. We were waiting for our bus to take us to the airport. After bus was 20+ minutes late, we asked the front desk if they can call. Apparently the desk had been notified that we were being picked up 2+ hours later. No one informed us while they checked us out OR was it is the Air Transat book. I guess it is important not to rely on Air Transat to notify you -- check the airline directly for flight status. Clearly neither the airline NOR the hotel will notify you.
The beach was clean and lots of shade to be had. No need to reserve chairs.

Reviewed 29 January 2011

contrary to reviews read prior, we (8) found everything great, location, food & staff. other guests have been returning to same location for a dozen years. that says a lot for a resort! shopping isn't much, we weren't there to shop!
be warned, cable car ride is not for weak stomachs, nor after eating, but, if you can handle heights,and accept risk, go for it, view is breathtaking! I didn't go, but have seen the photos from those who did.
take any lightweight clothes, your kids have out grown, there is a need for childrens clothing. only complaint is we're home & its snowing! & wish we'd done 10 days.
ALSO, if can handle heights another PLUS, for fun, is the ZIPLINE, the crew is wonderful, patience above and beyond...don't be afraid, you can stilll get the thrill by doing tandem, and may work up the nerve to go alone. If not, Jose, is an excellent escort1 Be sure to be fair and tip, afterall, you wouldn't want their job!

Reviewed 29 January 2011

My husband and I picked this resort due to recommended by MIL and she was spot on right. This resort is a wonderful resort with an even more wonderful staff. I can't say enough how well the staff treated us: shout out to Kennedy and Reyes who did a tremendous job helping us during our stay. The staff is always smiling and always willing to help which really made put trip pleasant. The food was great, we esp. like the buffet bc of the many varieties of food. The restaurants are small and food good. The grounds are immaculately clean, every morning my family and I went out our rooms, the staff would be mopping, picking leave, pruning among other things. The beach was good the first 2 days but on the 3rd it seemed as though it was full of seaweed which was disappointing. I would think that with ppl paying to go away to tropical getaway like my family did that there would be staff in the beach to maybe clean the gunk. The pool is beautiful. Big and lots of fun. The activities team really bends over backwards to entertain guests in am. (games and shows) shout out to batman, Bruce lee and superman and spiderman. There are also activities on the beach such as archery and kayaking and sailing. Overall this is a good resort and THE STAFF really makes this resort wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 26 January 2011

I stayed with my wife for only four days and it wasn't enough time.
The service was fantastic
My drink was on the table by the time I got to the bar, every time without fail.
The staff very friendly, we were even invited to go dancing with some of the staff in the evening.
We are already planning a return trip.
Thanks

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Bigjettts
Reviewed 26 January 2011

We just got back late last night from our trip.
It was our third time to Puerto Plata (last two times at Gran Ventana).
Iberostar is amazing (for the money). I did a lot of research before booking this and by far, this is the best place we've stayed. It’s awesome: clean, well-manicured, super clean and really great staff.

The FOOD is remarkable for the Dominican. It's always fresh, plenty of it, and the kitchen staff are always on top of it (refilling, and keeping things tidy).
There are three themed restaurants to pick once each during your week stay and the other is the Large restaurant Buffett open all the time - to be honest the food was good at all the restaurants- can’t go wrong.

The ROOM was perfect- clean, clean, clean. Yes, the mini bar was always stuffed full of pop and beer (without asking!). Fresh towels, Clean Sheets, and really nice towel art animals too!. (Be sure to give the maid a nice big tip).

The GROUNDS are beautiful and clean. The Orange Flamingos are hilarious as are the 2 Peacocks!. Yes, there are a bunch of turtles in the lobby pond too.

The POOL is great. Huge and kept really clean (they are always cleaning and skimming it).

The BARS are overflowing with lots of different drinks - they say there are some international brands, but i can't confirm that. If you like one kind of liquor for instance, i'd suggest bring your own and order mix only. There really is only one beer - Presidente on tap.

The ONLY downside is THE BEACH - seems that Iberostar area is one of the only areas hit with extremely thick weeds in the water and floating up on the beach - it's nasty. Honestly, we're shocked that Iberostar would allow this to happen. People pay a lot of money to go to a warm location which includes a major component- the beach! Not sure why in this world of technology, and plenty of staff, Iberostar doesn’t put a crew on the beach every single morning and rake it up! I'm not a scientist, but my guess is with six guys and some screening, that water could be cleaned out, beach raked up and spotless in two hours tops. For us, it’s not that big a deal cause we're not ocean people - but for you, it might be a deal breaker.

Overall, the Iberostar is a great place to enjoy the warmth of the Caribbean.
It’s clean, safe and fun.
We are thinking about a big family get-together at the Iberostar.
The perfect place to do it.

Highly recommend this place. You can't go wrong.

2  Thank JohnnyChambers
Reviewed 25 January 2011

Let me begin by saying that this is my 5th time at Iberostar Costa Dorada and my 9th time at a Iberostar Chain resort..... That should say it all, but let me tell you that the place is a little jewel in the Purta Plata... The staff is friendly and more than ready to please, the rooms are large and very clean .The food is excellent not just for an all inclusive but just as good as any other 5plus resorts that I have been to ie:The Atlantiis Bahamas. Sheraton hotel and resort Bahamas ,and the Americana hotlel in Cancun all of which were not all inclusvie.......As far as the beach I have read some reviews regarding the sand not being white but I don't know what they mean the sand is white and soft not as white as Cuba but it's still white and it is soft on the feet....... The beach is long and wide you could walk one way for over an hour and a half and turn around and walk the other way for just as long and the whole time with such great views of the mountains and beautiful land scape......
The hotel itself is full of beautiful large palm trees and flowers and water features...... so beautiful both day and night........ They have a wonderful court yard for you to enjoy during the day, where we would talke our coffee after a day at the beach and at night it becomes alive with live music and people mingaling while enjoying the great warm nights......if you want to enjoy the shows at night you could sit there too to watch or move to the theater both large and nicely decorated with a large bar and bar service while you watch the shows......The staff is always happy to see you and remember you no matter where you go the pool bar the beach bar the lounge they are a friendly people and are happy to have you there and show it with the great service they provide...... Reception and Managment is so good they aknowledge you even with a smile when they are busy with other guests..... special thanks to Mary Alonza ,Daniel,and the special waitresses that work at this wonderful place........