This review is written through the eyes of a retired international corporate incentive planner. This was my first experience with the Iberostar brand and was very impressed. Lets start with Front Desk/ Reception. A very important group as they are your first and last impression of the resort. The team at this property are exceptional with a great attitude. Always helpful and eager to please. If an average is a 5, these folks are an 8.
We chose a Jr. Suite, Block 5, ground level. Very pleased with the room and was a delight to sit on the balcony/borch and watch the waves. House keeping are efficient and professional. Always have a smile.
Food and Beverage was excellent and the Executive Chef really knows his job. Special mention to Mr Jose Luis, Bar and Restaurants. Regardless of where you eat, he is there checking. By the third day I told him that I had met his twin. There must be two of them! He assured me that there was not!
F&B is above average and I would compare it to a Five Star Resort I have stayed at in Punta Cana. Amazing variety. One suggestion I did make to the management. They need to look at their A La Carte offerings. They are not really but rather a modified A La Carte. At each outled there ia a buffet spread to select your starter. This is pretty much a full buffet which in my mind makes no sense as well as costly. Why not offer an A La Carte starter such as a soup, salad, or a shrimp coctail. Make the evening a proper A La Carte. This applies at all three restaurents. The Mexican and Brazilian themes are excellent. The Seafood theme is bland and needs help. The food at all three is excellent and not an issue. Beverages were excellent with a great variety of drink options. Only one suggestion, the Tonic Water is horrible!! If you are a Gin or Vodka and tonic drinker, bring your own tonic. Not a major problem and we survived.
Enjoyable entertainment every evening. Clever the way the cast mixed with the guests before and after the show. Sound to loud at times but guess that is a sign of 'Age". The lady that runs the kids program is amazing and her "kids" were integrated into parts of the show.
Nice long beach. Lots of coral pieces if you get out early in the morning. There is seaweed, some days more than others however the clean up crews are out early every morning raking. Never once did we have a problem getting a chair or cover.
I have noticed some complaints about locals checking in on the weekends. I have no problem with this, in fact I enjoyed seeing them. They were clearly professionals and didn't see one baseball cap on backwards in the dining room. The roudy award goes to some North American folks.
The Punta Plata Iberostar is a great family resort and we were surprized at the number of young children. Certainly not a problem and by and large children were well behaved.
One of the things we appreciate is the attitude of the Dominican People. What a delight they are and could write the book on how to provide customer service. Starting with Jorge Martinez, Assistant Director to Jose Luis, F&B Subervisor (and his twin brother Jose Luis!), to the Animation teams, to the House Keeper, to the guy with the big knife that hacks and bashed the hedges and creates a masterpiece. All make you feel welcome and glad that you are there.
If you are reading this and are considering this resort, don't hesitate. It is a gem.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has The IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel is located in front of the large golden sand beach of Costa Dorada, 10 minutes from the city of Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic's north coast. This wonderful 5-star All Inclusive resort is a wonderful haven for aquatic sports lovers. Renovated in 2011, the IBEROSTAR Costa Dorada hotel has 516 rooms498 Double Rooms , 18 spacious Junior Suites ,4 handicap, 10 interconnecting, 27 superiors and 45 ocean view. The colonial-style complex and common areas are surrounded by huge tropical gardens. An attentive multilingual staff helps to make this a perfect vacation experience on the island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Iberostar Costa Dorada reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Costa Dorado
- Iberostar Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Puerto Plata
- Iberostar Hotel Costa Dorada
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel
- Costa Dorado
- Puerto Plata Iberostar
- Iberostar Hotel Puerto Plata