“Dominican beach 100%” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Merengue

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #13 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Dominican beach 100%”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

There are complexof 3 hotels in one destination. RIU Mambo is one of bungalow. Very pleasant: many palms, trees, flowers. Nice pool, superb beach and Caribbean sea.
Very friendly staff.
Clean and safe.
Food and beverages are OK, RIU standards.
If you like beach holiday - just go to Mambo!

Room Tip: Second floor is better than ground one.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
13 Thank Abyrvalg_SPB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
York, North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

All those that are complaining about Mambo is absolutely baffling to me. Ok so it’s not 5 star but then again if you walk into the local villages it’s 10stars in comparison to where they live. The staff are amazing, they go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable and you never get hassled which I experienced in the 5 other Caribbean. Islands I have visited. For those complaining about the swimming pool it is completely unjustified as I went swimming every morning at 7am and I can guarantee everyday of my stay that the pool was cleaned.
I firmly believe that a holiday is what you make it and yes I may be too much of a positive person so I was determined to have an excellent holiday with my friend and that is exactly what we had. I’m not the kind of person to return to the same place as I feel there’s so much of the world to see however, my stay at Mambo changed this as it was the perfect break.
I can honestly say that after the 10th day of any 2 week holiday I am ready to go home or go somewhere different but I could have quite easily stayed for another 2 weeks.
If you want to lie by the pool all day and get drunk then maybe the alcohol may disillusion you or make you look for the bad / area for improvements on the hotel. I have to say as a British citizen I was very embarrassed of some of my fellow brits and it actually made me feel ashamed of how ungrateful a nation we can sometimes be – manners cost nothing!!! A lot of people were complaining (non stop) just because others were i.e. a good conversation starter if your not one for making friends easily. I am very well travelled and have stayed in 2 star hotels in Europe to 5 star hotels in south America and yes i agree it's not quite 5 star but it's no where near as bad as some people are making out! A holiday is what you make it in my opinion!
I would absolutely recommend this hotel for those that actually want a holiday to enjoy themselves!

If anyone has any questions please feel free to get in contact.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
16 Thank Krysto
Kent England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

Me and my partner have just returned from two weeks at the Riu Merengue and we loved the hotel. When we arrived we were given cocktails and check in was extremely straight forward and quick.
The rooms were very spacious, and always kept extremely clean. The mini bar was part of the all inclusive and was refilled every two days. We did have to pay 48 US dollars for the safe which we didn't mind at all. The rooms are only a couple of minutes walk away from the lobby, pool and beach so in a perfect location!
Being a fussy eater I was worried about what the food was going to be like as I had seen a couple of bad reviews on here about it but I shouldnt have listened to them because I couldnt fault the food! There was variety every single day, the dinners especially were delicious. The steakhouse was really nice, we went 3 times over the two weeks whilst we were there, and it was nice to have a change of scenery. The bar staff are also very friendly, and the cocktails there are lovely but you do have to make sure they put alcohol in them.
The staff are so friendly and will always go out of their way to help you. We especially loved the animation team who work day and night to keep you entertained. They try to include everybody in the pool games and evening shows but then dont pester you if you feel like being lazy and dont want to get involved either. They made us laugh all the time, look out for Pepsi Cola, Chicken Leg and Bom Bom and the man who's always saying 'he he he i love you'. We would have loved to bring them home with us!! The evening shows were fantastic, we saw a different one every single night for the two weeks we were there and many were done by professionals like the Micheal Jackson show and the Fantasia Latina show!
The only fault we could possibly think of was the complex letting in the locals at the weekend. We were previously warned of this by our rep so we were aware of it, however the hotel became completely overrun by them and they actually made us feel uncomfortable at times. I would recommend that at the weekends you try to book any trips you want to do, go to the beach instead of the pool, and book the steakhouse or italian as we found that the main restaurant was packed.

We honestly couldnt recommend it highly enough. Ignore the bad reviews as they have clearly been made by people who love a moan!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank LaurenandDom
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

A nice all inclusive resort where the food runneth over-- some dishes are good many are healthful. The beach is fair at the Merengue if you can get over the rocks better next door at the Mambo. The best spot is some of the entertainment especially this dancer Chicken Leg. I laughed my head off when the Cali man flame thrower ignited his Afro slightly.
Anyway, if you have problems ask for Stanley at the front desk he is very very and nice and will try to fix it if he can. It was good they made everyone use hand sanitizer before the buffet dinner. That was excellent. The grounds too are beautiful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the ocean nice view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank janedoesky
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

Hi

We have just returned from the riu merengue and in my opinion it was by far the best all inclusive i have been on i very often struggle with food but not here i never went hungry and even on the occasion when i was not very hungry i had rolls and banana
I thought the drinks were apt and very enjoyable luv the slushies remember the dont have alcohol you need to ask for that to be put in as they come straight from the machine and the kids get them to it is no problem for the staff to give you what you want always found the bar staff very friendly,
The rooms are a bit musty but once you were in they seemed fine always kept clean by the maids
The check in was the best ever nice and simple no hanging around
you do need to pay 42 dollers for the safe and they have removed the optics from the rooms too (we bit disapointed with that )

The entertainment was good every second night there was a show and we never seen the same show twice over the 2 weeks
there is lots going on through out the day if you like to keep busy darts ,horseshoes, bowls,and pool games,beach games
The locals do come in at the weekend but i think its your luck as to wether they are roudy or not i didnt find them to be a problem but they are quite loud by nature not in anyway aggresive but i can only review what i have experianced

The hotel tries its best to keep it in order and dont give the locals any special treatment

overall i had a most enjoyable holiday spent most of my time at the meregue as it was quieter than the bachata and the mambo is closed but you could use the pool and the bar was open
Hope this is useful any questions

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank mishkaScotland
suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

This was our 2nd time to the merengue after visiting 2 years ago.once again we had a great holiday but noticed a few changes.firstly you now have to pay for your safe but didn't mind cos usually have to pay everywhere else !! Secondly which also didn't bother us was the removal of optics from the rooms.we only spend a small amount of time in the room for a shower then out to the bar anyway and if you are a really big drinker go to the 24 hr bar at bachata !!! Lastly was the number of locals let in to the hotel over the weekends.as another review said they come in droves and take over pool/poolside.my advice is either to plan your trips over the weekends or use the beach !!! Personally I think the entertainment has improved as they now have professionals doing a lot more of the shows which was good (Michael Jackson show good) overall if you take no notice of the locals this is a great value for money holiday with decent food/drink,good day/evening entertainment,very clean and friendly staff !!!!!

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
7 Thank smurfo
chessington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

i don't think the hotel should let people book out on a weekend as the locals really do come in there droves and it is a bit like locusts at mealtimes which does seem to cloud your view of the holiday the rep said the locals are not rude its just there way well if being rude is there way then yes i totally agree with her they do take over the poolside admittedly but there is 2 other pools and a spacious beach i don't think it helped having the mambo shut down as i feel this would have taken up the slack a bit. on the whole though this is the second year we have been and we plan to go back there next year. the staff are lovely especially Lydia in the dining area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
#4 of 41 in Puerto Plata
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,245 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Merengue? Share your experiences!