Sorry this review is a little late-
We stayed at the Riu mambo from the 13th-27th of April 2011.
Average very clean, good maid service , not noisey
You can eat anywhere in the complex apart from your evening meal, food was good overall and lots of choice, the food did get more basic at the wekend when the locals arrive
optional dinning was ok but limited choice and not worth waking at 7am to book a table
Plentiful but local brands, cocktails very sweet and did get sickly after a while.
Lovely , quiet, plenty of shade, floor of the sea it quite sharp so take some beach shoes.
plenty of sunbeds and shade during the week but all hell broke out at the weekend
This is a point that concerned me prior to travel, we were there over easter and at the weekend it was solid, the people are friendly but they are much louder in character than us quiet English, the sheer number of them made the pool are a no go zone for the whole of the weekend
unlike other reviews we had no issue with running out of food or cleanliness
The beach remained quite so we just took ourselves off down there out the way.
The bachetta seemed to have a bigger issue we saw several parties of Domincans being removed as they were drunk in the pool.
Outback safari - excellent and a must do to see the local area well worth the money -however we went with thomas cook and visited a horse ridding range on route standard of animal care disgusting even down to a dead rotting foal in the field with its mother!
best trip ive done however take a tip book direct with http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g147290-d647750-Reviews-Rancho_Lorilar-Puerto_Plata_Dominican_Republic.html its cheaper and they get the money rather than the travel companies taking a huge cut! they still collect and drop off at the hotels, jopy who runs it is an American so speaks perfect English so you can drop her an email to discuss your requirments
In conclusion I would go again and a good time was had by all if you have any questions I am happy to be contacted
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata