Just returned back from a wonderful holiday at Rui Merengue. The staff are excellent, very friendly and could not do enough for you.
The hotel is set within a complex of 3 Rui hotels which you can use the facilities of during the daytime and evening. All they ask is that you take your meals at Merengue. This is the best All Inclusive hotel I have ever stayed in. Meals can be taken in a large Buffet style restaurant which is sometimes themed as Dominican, Mexican etc to add a bit of variety to the menu. Even though you will always get a wide range of International dishes even stonebaked Pizza's and Hand carved meats. There is also an A'la Carte restaurant split into 2 sides Italian & Steakhouse. You can book as many times as you want to during your stay but you will need to be early as tables are usually booked up by around 8am.
We went to each side of the A'la Carte restaurant which were very nice but the menu's are limited so we usually opted for the main restaurant.
TIP:- Sit in the same area of the restaurant each day so you get to know the waiter and they will really look after you. Our waiter Leonardo arranged for a Birthday cake and decorated the table with beautiful flower petals and baloons for us. We were even serenaded by the two charming little chaps on the guitar. This was arranged for no charge!!!
On the beach you can take Pedaloes or Kayaks out which is included in the All Inclusive package. They are very safety consious they fit you with life jackets and only let you take the boats out during safe tides within specific zones.But please note there are no lifeguards on the beach or poolside.
Animation team are very good, plenty of games and activities to do throughout the day and better than average evening entertainment. We especially liked the Africian night, Beach Party, Carnival style street party and Michael Jackson nights.
You will find there is a big surge in Dominican guests at weekends. It does make the pool area at the Merengue very crowded so we tended to head to the beach or arrange a day trip on Saturday and Sundays. Very friendly people just makes the hotel seem very busy.
Outside the hotel, almost next door is Ocean Village we Swam with the Dolphins and some just had a Dolphins encounter for those not so confident in the water. You get to have a kiss, cuddle, dance and even feed the dolphins. It really is one of those once in a lifetime opportunities. Fully recommend a day out here as there's lots of different Sea lion, shark and bird shows too!!
Finally, everything in Dominican Republic is priced in US$ even though there currency is Peso's. I would recommend just taking dollars with you as we made the mistake of taking Peso's and had to constantly ask for prices in shops as they only display US$ prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata