My husband and I were at this resort from January 25 - February 1, 2013. We took a taxi to beat the traffic at the front desk. It was a 30 minute ride costing $50 USD. Upon arrival we could tell right away that it was a beautiful resort. The rooms were very clean, spacious and the grounds were very well kept. Tons of green vegetation. Various species of palm trees, shrubs and flowers. The beach was ok, not like I have experienced in Cuba. The sand is not fine and water shoes are needed to go into the ocean.
We asked to change rooms to be closer to the ammenities and we had no problem with this request, Margarita was very nice and helpful.
This resort is divided in 3 sections. Merengue Village, Merengue Gardens and Riu Bachata. Had access to all the restaurants except for the Bachata (could only have breakfast and lunch there) but it was nice to sit out on the Terrace to have our meal. We also booked a la carte. Have to get there early 0700 to book and we got the chance to eat at the steakhouse and it was delicious.
The food at the buffet was awesome and there is quite a variety every day from Mexican Theme night (my favourite), Poutine, Ribs, Sushi and more. The drinks were fantastic, every day there was a special drink. Loved the Miami Vice, Banana Mommas & Mango Daquiris. The staff was also very friendly and always smiling - Pablo, Yary, Jovany, Yamilka, Lopez & Remy just to name a few. They would serve a drink to you even if you did not ask, they remembered what you were drinking. They do not expect tips like I have experienced from other resorts but we did tip them once in a while.
There are a few negatives of course. There was not much entertainment at night. We were wanting to go to a disco but you had to pay for the drinks. We just did not feel like we should have to pay for drinks, after all it is an all inclusive resort.
The other BIG negative point is the smokers and let me tell you, it was terrible. They smoked every where but the dining area. The air is so heavy there that the smoke just lingers all the time. Smelt like an ashtray everyday while out of room and dining room. I can not stress how disgusting this was. I would recommend that a designated area should be created for smokers.
Over all it was a nice vacation but I would not return to this resort due to the SMOKING and lack of entertainment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata