Just returned from a two week stay at the merengue. September being low season for the DR we got a good deal and found the weather to be great if a a little humid at times, in the two weeks it only rained on three days for about an hour and a half and always in the late afternoon. The complex which is made up of three parts, the Merengue garden, the Merengue village and the Bachata. You have use of all areas except for evening meals which have to be eaten in your own part of the complex. The three pools are quite different the village pool being the quietest at this time of year due to the village accommodation being closed until November when the high season starts. To be honest we spent most days on the beautiful beach only retreating in the afternoon heat to the shady poolside areas at the village pool and the bar there which is also very quiet. The staff are very attentive and do not expect a tip every time you are served but appreciate one which we generally gave once an evening at the bar or each time the bar staff walked along the beach taking orders and serving us which I found out is not a task they have to do in their usual duties but rather a extra they offer in the hope of getting a little extra money to make up the low wages they earn. The cleaners are great and work hard to keep the resort spotless as do the gardeners who will fetch you a coconut fresh from the tree if you want. The restaurants are ok and there was plenty of choice each sitting however we did find some cuts of meat to be quite poor quality and generally tough or very fatty at times. But there was always something on offer to cover all tastes. We took two excursions which we booked through our tour operator. The safari which included visiting a typical village house and school was well worth it and a great day out. The other trip was the cable car and tour of the town which included shopping at a local supermarket which was similar to a trip to Aldi or Lidl and a chance to get cheap drink and gifts for taking home. The resort became busier over the weekends but only really affected the main garden and Bachata pools but was never too busy to find a sun lounger and to be honest it was nice to se the pool liven up with the local families showing us all how to enjoy ourselves. Again if you want peace and quiet then the Village pool is always quiet. On our second to last night the air conditioning in our room packed up and we called reception to report it, thinking it wouldn't be fixed before we leave due to the maintenance guys who are always cycling around the site repairing this and that being busy but it was fixed within five hours. The evening entertainment was a little too 1970's Butlins at times but I guess with an international crowd it is probably what works best to please everyone. The evenings which had the dance troop doing their Grease show and Africa night were very good.
The Animation team are hard working, fun and try to include everyone even if it's just a friendly chat to make you feel welcome. The drinks are of cheap brands but if you ask for a branded drink the do have then as we'll. however they do make them strong. All in all a very good holiday which I would recommend to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata