We visited here from 11th of August for 2 weeks, 2 adults and 2 children. We had read all the terrible reviews and dreaded the worst. However we were pleasantly surprised, it was not to the standard of a previous Riu in Mexico but not too far off it. The food gave plenty of choice, and lets be fair its not easy to cater for that many people and please everyone, but we certainly had no complaints. The room was clean and tidy and lets face it you dont go an holiday to spend lots of time in your room, we had an air-con leak that was fixed within 2 hours of reporting it. Yes on weekends it did get crowded with locals, but these guys are family orientated and gave no problems, and again this is an International Hotel, American, English, Canadian, French, Italian, German, Dutch, Spainish, so a few local just added to the spice of this place. If the main pool did get overcrowded we went off the quiet pool that is for International guests only.
Would I go back ? well possibly, but very rarely go anywhere twice. I had a very enjoyable, relaxing holiday, I just wish I hadn't listened to the much to the bad reviews. If there are bad things then try and make the most of what you have, rather than spend your life moaning, (even about cracked tiles in a bathroom)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata