We have just returned from a fantastic 2 week stay!! We were a large party of family and friends incl 2 children (9 and 6) and had an amazing time! I was a bit apprehensive due to some of the reviews before we came but I should not have worried at all!
Every single member of staff is a credit to the hotel from the fantastic animation team to Super Diaz in the bar and Lydia and Leonardo in the dining room along with the house keeping team and gardeners. They all work so hard and with a smile on their face at all times.
Our rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels and our pjs were laid out ready for us along with a towel sculpture (which both my children couldn't wait to see) incl. flower petals!!
We had 2 huge beds which were very comfortable and the room was very spacious considering there were 4 of us in there!
Yes the locals came at the weekend but did NOT offend us in anyway at all! If anything they were very friendly and my children played in the pool and at Mama Maria's kids club with the local children and had a blast! My children were sad when some of them went home!!!
Yes the pool was closed for 1 afternoon due to an accident in the pool but that can happen at our local swimming centre too and who can say if it was a local child or not????
The food was a tad repetitive at lunch time at the pool restaurant but still very nice.
We did go to the sister hotel the Bachata on a couple of occasions (our children liked the jacuzzi and extra pool) and it was a bit quieter but we always returned to the Merengue for activities with the wonderful animation team in the afternoon.
We did do a few trips - OceanWorld, Paradise Island, Outback Safari and Buggies. I would recommend every single one of them to anyone! Paradise Island won't be there for much longer as the island is shrinking so go and see it before it vanishes and we learnt so much about the Dominican Republic on the Outback Safari trip thanks to our guides Manny and Pedro. We all loved the Boogie Boarding!! We got absolutely filthy on the buggies so take some clothes with you that you do not mind getting rid of! It was a fantastic morning and so much fun!! Ocean world was out of this world too, we had a fantastic day especially the dolphin and shark encounter.
There are photographers at the resort who take fantastic pictures especially Francis who loves his job and is a wonderful person. You can buy them on Caribbean St if you wish but please don't be offended when the guys ask to take pictures of you, they are just trying to earn a living and do not pressure you to buy them.
We did not use the beach other than to take a stroll and search for crabs and play boules but it was beautiful.
Please don't be put off by some of the reviews as a lot of them seem to be personal preference and compared to other resorts.
All in all a fantastic holiday and we would not hesitate to return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata