We stayed her for 2 weeks in September. I was really worried after reading reviews but for no reason. We had a fantastic time! The staff were really organised when we arrived after a long delay. Staff offered to bring luggage to our room but we decided to take it ourselves to save time. The air-con was on when we arrived and the fridge was full which was greatly appreciated!
The room was a little 'dated' I suppose but we didn't care, it had everything we needed and I found the bed comfy and the shower powerful.
The hotel gardens around the rooms were gorgeous with so much greenery, they were immaculate and the gardeners were friendly and offered me coconuts to drink which was fun :)
The food was delicious with an unbelievable amount of choice. They had everything you could want on offer, including fresh fish, meat dishes, vegetarian dishes and traditional Dominican food. All the staff were very attentive without being intrusive and ALWAYS happy, friendly, singing and laughing.
The hotel was clean, the toilets always spotless and antibacterial hand gel was everywhere. I loved the towel art.
The entertainment I saw was good and had me laughing. The animation team work so,so hard (I could not handle their job) they are brill :-D
The bar staff were great. My boyfriend tipped a lovely barman on our first day and he served us immediately for the whole fortnight which was a bonus. But without tipping you still got served really quickly, the bar staff move fast - well done!
We spent most of our time on the beach and in the sea. The beach was lined in gorgeous palm trees so there was plenty of shade. The sea was warm and clear and exactly what you expect in the Caribbean. We snorkeled a lot, which was FANTASTIC, you don't have to go deep to see lots of fish (which is good because I can't swim!) Definitely wear sea shoes because I saw sea urchins whilst snorkeling - one was the size of a football, which was awesome but a little scary...
We only used the pool at the Merengue Village because it was lovely and quiet due to the hotel being closed.
We went to Paradise Island which was nice but a little overpriced. We also went on the Outback Safari and had the best day ever! Our guide was Manny, with his trainee Pedro and our driver Franklin, they were a great team. I really recommend this excursion. It was fun, really interesting and not to be missed.
Overall a truly great holiday. I would definitely recommend to others. Ignore the bad reviews, relax and enjoy, its the Caribbean after all and the Dominican is a beautiful country full of beautiful people :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The All Inclusive ClubHotel Riu Merengue open all year round, is located in the RIU Resort right on the natural Bahía Maimón beach and next to the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. The inland terrain is characterized by wooded hills and mountains. The RIU Resort features a Caribbean Street with several shops, Wellness Centre and gym. The location is ideal due to its proximity to Puerto Plata (9km) and Gregorio Luperón International Airport (POP) is approx. 25 km away. The hotel has 998 comfortably furnished rooms and offers many amenities. Relax with a massage at our Renova Spa or get in shape at our gym. 3 outdoor pools, 1 children’s pool. For the youngest guests, there is the RiuLand Kids Club (for children from 4 to 7 years & 8 to 12 years old) and for adults, day and evening entertainment and many Water Sport activities, Discotheque and Casino. For lovers of gastronomy, we offer live cooking stations at our main buffet as well as Italian cuisine and Steakhouse, 4 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Travel Republic (UK), Stayforlong S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata