My husband and I stayed at this hotel in November of 2012 to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. I know I'm a little late to write this review, but once you hear what happened you'll understand.
Upon arrival were were quickly taken to our room. Check in was fast and good. Our room was very nice, small but what more do you need. We had a smidge of an ocean view, we were fine with that. I honestly loved the layout and design of this hotel - nice small colourful buildings, balconies, mostly running parallel to the beach. Lobby is close to the pool which is close to the beach.So there is a bit a walking required (esp if you want to visit the Bachata hotel, casino, shopping area) Note tho, the buildings are all two stories and there are no elevators.
The bars were great, fabulous service, food was ok. Actually I was expecting more from the food from everything I had head about DR. I honestly found it to be on par with a 4+* Cuban hotel.
Otherwise I really enjoyed this hotel, the beach was ok (I still favor Varadero's beach) but the pools were awesome. We had a great time and I would recommend this hotel. (I am a huge fan of Riu hotels)
Now we decided to do a few tours, went to Paradise Island and the waterfalls. Both were amazing but now I'm pretty sure I got sick because of the tours, not the hotel. But this is all up in the air. I ended up contracting Amoebic Dysentery and had to stay an extra 3 days in a Puerto Plata hospital before returning home. Yes it was terrifying at first (of course!) but I was treated like gold. I had travel insurance so all was taken care of, didn't have to pay anything up front. The doctors and nurses were amazing, super nice and courteous, the hospital was VERY clean, cleaner than in Toronto, Canada!!!! oh and I had an oceanview room. lol
But it was my tour operator that impressed me the most. A sunwing rep accompanied me in the ambulance (from the airport) and they came to visit me everyday to make sure I understood what was happening and help me in any way they could. Also those huge airport taxes you pay cover any medical injury that happens to you at the airport.
I'm not sure that I would ever go back to the DR, but I have to say I was treated amazing and really did enjoy the hotel. (I wish I could remember the Riu rep's name) Sunwing was incredible and I will continue to vacation with them from now on.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata