Third time here for my girlfriend and I, and we loved it as much as the first time.
Ok its not 5 star luxury and it does have areas for improvement, but for the money you wont find much better in the Caribbean.
The beach is fantastic, loads of room, free sunbeds, free palm trees to shade you, gorgeous blue sea, beach cleaned daily. Take sea shoes because there is a fair bit of coral, but excellent for snorkelling.
If you prefer a louder environment, there is always lots going on around the pool, ideal for families with kids.
The staff are always smiling, and despite long hours in the heat they will always do their best to make it an enjoyable holiday.
The food choice and quality is above average for Caribbean resorts at this price.
The alcohol is not normally watered down, it comes straight from a sealed bottle, but at weekends when the locals descend the pre-mixed alcoholic drinks may not be full strength.
Running the gauntlet of vendors twice a week is par for the course, but if you want a gift then there they are.
The hotel and restaurant managers are always on hand and keen to improve or address any issues you have. Mr Gonzalez, the head chef takes pride in his restaurant so if there is a problem let him know (if you speak good Spanish).
The waiters and waitresses go the extra mile to make you feel special, even if you don't tip them; likewise the bar staff who work tirelessly.
The rooms are looking a bit tired nowadays, but for the price what do you expect.
Even sandals doesn't have a 4 bottle optics in your room like Riu do.
Unfortunately, as the price of this hotel goes down so does the type of clientele it attracts, so it is starting to get a bit like Benidorm around the pool, but you can still have a good holiday here, especially if you are a beach lover.
Will we go again? - never say never, but maybe its time to try somewhere else for us.
If you do go here, don't expect a 4 or 5 star hotel and you will have a fantastic holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Holiday Gems, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata