We stayed here for New Years 2014.. It was really the only hotel in our budget so we didn't have much of a choice.. We had stayed in RIUs in the past and expected similar amenities. Sad to say but this RIU is no where near the quality of the other hotels we stayed at in the past.. Rooms are outdated and still have tube TVs (ours didn't work well), we got two twin beds which were pushed in together to make a king, and the bathroom had mold on the walls.
Free access is allowerd between all 3 resort.. Bachata, Merengue and Merengue village. The only exception is that you must eat dinner at your own hotel.. and they are rather strict about it.. they wouldnt even let us change our towels at Bachata (they r the same exact towels).
Food was ok.. I was always able to find something to eat. There's one buffet area which is open until only 2am for those late munchies.. we came there one evening and to our surprise they ran out of french fries.. our group found this to be rather ridiculous - such as this is a major staple food item in such resort..
The beach is ok.. and the pool at merengue is alright.. we mostly used the pool at the Bachata side which also had the swim up bar. Another plus to bachata is that they offer internet connection pretty much everywhere for about $20 for 3 days.. whereas in Merengue u only get free 90min a day (the 90 min starts as soon as u turn it on and there's no way of turning it off). Therefore, we mostly hung out at the Bachata lol
overall this resort is OK.. deffenitely not a 5 star resort as they claim.. If you are looking for a cheap warm vacation with minimum luxuries than this is the place for u..
...Its not terrible but its not amazing either..
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata