We stayed from Feb6-Feb14 2013. We are a couple aged 25 and 35. Previously have stayed at all-inclusives in Cuba and Mexico. We went on this trip to escape winter in Canada, and enjoy the beach and sun.
This resort is 3 resorts in 1 ( Merengue Village, Merengue Garden and Riu Bachata). It is a LARGE resort because of this. There are no large apartment style high rises. They are all small 2 or 3 storey buildings.
We stayed at the Merengue Village. It was quieter at this end of the resort.
Room was decent. We don't spend much time there anyways. 2 double beds pushed together. Small bathroom. But it was very clean, and served it's purpose. The staff are ALWAYS cleaning, and the grounds are gorgeous because of it. Safe and key provided.
You have choices of using pools at each of the 3 resorts. The pool at the Village wasn't as crowded, less people around. The pool in the centre at the Garden and the Bachata were always more full and noisey. The swim up bar is at the Bachata which could explain why it's busier.
The beach is also fairly large because of the 3 resorts. We never had issues getting chairs. Some areas are rockier than others... Closer to the Bachata side it is more rocky, as you walk closer to the Village it becomes less rocky and more sandy. The water is warmer than the pools, and very clean.
You can get food from 7am-2am somewhere. There are 3 buffet style restaurants, and then smaller snack type locations when main buffets are closed. There was always a lot of choices. Most of the meals were pretty good. You could always find something you enjoyed. Our only complaint was it was quite salty.
Tip the server in the buffet to get better tables, and some service. They appreciate it, and it makes your experience better.
Apparently if you stay at the Bachata you can only eat there, but if you are the Garden or Village you can eat anywhere.
We don't drink alcohol, but it's what you expect at an all-inclusive- cheap brands. They have a large variety of non-alcoholic drinks which was great for us. Bring travel mugs to avoid multiple trips to the bar as the cups they provide are not very big.
A la carte:
We didn't try the a la carte. You had to wake up at 7am to reserve a spot for that night. You could not book in advance and by 8am, were full. Speaking with those who tried it, you basically got the same food as the buffet that night, but the main difference is you got served instead of being at the buffet and getting it yourself.
We were very pleased and surprised at how great the entertainment was. The shows are worth going to see (arrive early to get a good spot) and there are activities all day long. The staff are FULL of energy and very friendly. Don't be afraid to ask them any questions you may have.
Some of the greatest staff. They were VERY hard and are VERY helpful.
For those who must be connected to devices while on vacation, you can only use wifi in the lobby for 90 minutes a day (but you can go to the other 2 lobbies and get an additional 90 minutes at each one). We used it to check in with family, and it is very slow. If you don't have a wifi device, you can pay to use a computer.
If you are looking for a fun, clean, larger resort to relax and enjoy the outdoors-- it's for you! It's not a North American 5* but if you get a good price, go for it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata