Spent a week at Riu Merengue with a group of 7 friends Feb 25-Mar 4 2014.
Food: Great variety, never got sick, awesome chef Oscar at the omelette station in the mornings! We did both the Italian and Steakhouse a la carte, definitely stick to the Italian, the steak leaves a lot to be desired.
Entertainment: Tons of activities, did dancing, stretching/yoga, bingo, volleyball, horseshoes. Shoutout to Chocolate, Sexy Lucy, King Kong on the entertainment staff, they will MAKE your week! Evening shows were awesome, lots of audience involvement.
Bars: Stick around La Plaza Bar and get your drinks made by Diaz, he cares about his customers and is lovely to talk to.
Activities: We did NOT do the excursions through SunWing, instead we went with Mel's Tours for horseback riding. This was off the resort but only a ten minute walk to the horses. Would not recommend for those who have never ridden but it was a great time, rode on the beach and into the village. Go in a group for sure, this is not a child-friendly activity.
Rooms: Rooms do not say "5-Star" but throw a couple bucks on the side table or a small gift for your maid and she did a great job for us. We also put money on our mini-fridge to stock up on beer and water (otherwise you only get 2 of each). We had no bugs/cockroaches or anything and had a second floor room in the garden.
Flight/Sunwing: If you travel regularly for work on major airlines, you won't be impressed with a 90s/outdated airplane. Bring headphones to watch the inflight movie, and request seats ahead of time (you have to pay for this) to sit with your spouse. Was worth it as we got 6th row there and back. Sunwing also tells you that you have to go to the morning session the day after your arrival to hear about your flight information. WRONG: they use this time to pitch excursions to you, waste of time if you ask me.
Overall: Awesome vacation, definitely a fun resort to go to with a group of friends, older crowd so we weren't surrounded by drunk teenagers, and enjoyed the entertainment and atmosphere overall.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata