This was our 2nd visit to this location. (First was eleven years previous.) On this visit, our room was just across the hall from where we stayed the first time! Brought back many memories. When we select a destination, if there's a RIU, that's where we stay. We have grown to admire their corporate consistency, ethics and cleanliness.
TIP: I have just one suggestion regarding THIS resort. Although the electrical outlets (110v) accommodate both spade and round inputs, the fixtures are recessed making it impossible to plug-in any (spade) chargers. Luckily I had packed an adapter plugged into the round holes. The resulting extended distance made it easy to plug-in our normal spade plug.
It was very nice to have a doctor's office here. I had a dumb accident... my fault - 7 stitches.
By the way, I was sober!
As usual, I spoke with many fellow tourists. None had any complaint(s)... well there WAS one person. But she complained about everything, we couldn't get away from her. After about 45 minutes, and listening to some of her personal life, it was clear she didn't have both oars in the water. (I say this with sympathy.)
Although this is a large resort, its layout and efficiency is comforting.
We were very fortunate with this visit. For our excursions we used the same guide and driver. Through the course of two weeks, we became good friends. Suegundo? If you read this, We thank you again for inviting us to your home and giving us the opportunity to meet your family.
It was truly an honor.
We also met a British couple (Cathy & Paul) who invited us to a (Very Fresh) sea-food supper at a highly recommended establishment exactly one mile west of the resort. It was a real treat and a great opportunity to linger with the locals.
Would we go back again? Well this was our 2nd visit!
A third time? We'd like to, and we might - but its a big world out there with so much to see.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata