Spent 1 week at this resort with 3 of my friends after we booked this last minute trip (got a very good price).
The check in process was quick and service is fast (we had trouble with lights in our room, it was fixed within 10 minutes of our arrival). Staff were always smiling, friendly and helpful. Staff with whom you interact directly (bartenders, waiters, entertainment team, reception desk) all speak good English, while other staff are a hit or miss (though still tried their best to help out).
Rooms are clean (the maid cleaned under the beds and mopped the floors daily), bathrooms and decks are nice. The fridge is re-filled every 2nd day with water bottles and Pepsi, and there's a rum dispenser in the room to mix your own drinks before leaving the room! There are no elevators but the buildings are only 2 floors. The only thing that wasn't as great were the hard beds.
The food at the buffet was great with good selection nightly (we enjoyed the fish, and the specialties provided for "Holly week" (Easter)). The staff at the buffet were friendly, helpful and always smiling (Carmen and Miguel were great!). The Italian "a-la-carte" was okay, but nothing amazing, so we didn't bother going to the Steakhouse which we heard was similar. We had access to two other buffets (including at Riu Bachata) where we ate once only as the food was the same. There was also other spots that served lunch where we ate on some days. There is one location open at night time which offers burgers, hot dogs and fries (great at the end of a drinking night or if you get hungry late). Drinks were great, and bar staff were amazing!!!
The location of the resort is on one side of a mountain, with the beach along its side. There's many chairs at the beach (no need to get up early or save chairs), and there were parts of the beach/pools that were quieter, while other areas were busier/louder. There are little shops to go shopping between the Riu Merengue and Riu Bachata, and we also went shopping at the shops at the end of the Merengue beach, and the ones at the end of the Bachata (both off resort technically, though there were security guards keeping an eye on us).
The entertainment team does a great job at offering activities for everyone, including dart tournament, volleyball and polo games, stretching, aerobics, etc. The nightly shows were entertaining, and appeared to be better at the Merengue than at the Bachata (based on the ones we saw). The beach is nice (obviously not as nice as Varadero or Punta Cana) and the pools were kept clean. There was staff cleaning, picking up garbage and working on the landscaping every day.
We went to the hotel during "Holly Week" (Easter), so there was a significant portion of the individuals on the resort that were locals (from DR). It made our stay that much better, as it added a cultural aspect to our stay, and made the nights out at the Discotheque (which was otherwise empty and only played American music) a great time!
The check out was as quick and easy as the check in, even though everyone left on our part of the resort were leaving as it was closing for 'low season'.
I'd definitely recommend this resort!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata