We have just returned from having spent 2 weeks here and fail to see how RIU advertise it as a 5 star resort as it is a maximum 3+ star. We were told the hotel was up for sale and may be purchased by Carnival due to the cruise terminal being built next door which if true would explain why there is a lack of repairs being done. We travelled as a family of 6 staying in 2 rooms both of which had some concerning problems. One room had a plug socket missing with exposed wires, and this was the room the hotel put 2 young children in with their parents. Had to move one of the beds to cover it up. The other room we were in had a broken window in the bathroom and the air con trip switch on the patio doors had what looked like the EARTH wire disconnected.
All of this was mentioned to the reception staff but nothing got done until the Thomson Reps got involved and we were offered to be moved to another room, the ones we were shown had exactly the same problems which made a move pointless. Eventually the reps got the hotel to repair the problems.
The upside to this hotel is the staff who are always smiling and could never do enough for you. All of the staff in the bars, restaurants and the animations team were great and would had a laugh and joke with the children.
The food was nice with a fair amount to choose from and would only become boring if you were the type to pile everything in sight on your plate every time you walked in the restaurant.
Excursions are a little limited but great.. We done the Dolphin encounter at Ocean World and Paradise Island both of which are brilliant and well worth the money.
The Dominican is beautiful and Puerto Plata does have its gems but unfortunately this hotel is NOT one of them. This hotel has the potential to be a great holiday location but cant see that happening until the cruise terminal is finished and someone starts to invest in these hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on the beach in Maimon Bay * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * Located in the Riu Resort, near ClubHotels Riu Bachata and Riu Mambo * Main building and 1-story bungalow complex * Surrounded by 15,000 m2 / 18,000 sq. yards of tropical gardens * 9 km / 5.5 miles from Puerto Plata * 150 m / 495 ft. from Caribbean Street * 25 km / 15.5 miles from Puerto Plata Intl. Airport * 300 m / 990 ft. from a bus stop * Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata