We went the first week of April. We went with one other adult couple and two of our own children. One 7 months and the other 11. Just a few quick things. The Riu merengue is right next to the Riu Bachatta. We preferred the Merengue with the bars, entertainment, kids club (way better), kids programs BUT the dinners at the Bachatta was phenomenal !! If you stay at the Merengue you are NOT allowed to share the dinner meals at the Bachatta whether it's the a la cartes or buffet. We were actually walked out by the manager who told us it was reserved for Bachatta guests. This disappointed us as they almost seemed snobby AND this was not how the resorts were sold to us. The Bachatta was only 40$ more for the week per person and we were told that due to the port being built there for ships the beach would be horrible. THERE WAS NO DIFFERENCE with the beach. It's all shared so we were very disappointed. We were told the rooms were better but *******
For anyone who travels with a baby the Bachatta has ramps where all stairs are and the bar closest to the pool was so steep my stroller fell forward and my baby almost hit his head on the pavement. I was livid as this was not safe and not designed right. I would not recommend this hotel if you have a stroller
The Merengues staff was pleasant but there were very few employees that seemed to stand out for customer service. No matter if we tipped or not the bartender Joselito and Ramon were outstanding!!! Joselito made this very yummy banana drink with real bananas (with and without alcohol) that we absolutely loved! We told him what we liked and he made it special. Each time we came to see him he would prepare them for us instantly and always seemed to love to want to serve everyone. Ramon did the the same for us and did a spin off of his own of the same drink
The buffets were alright for breakfast and great for lunch. I enjoyed the dinners but my husband didn't. The steak a la carte was great and we enjoyed that twice.
The main pool was nice and clean. It wasn't difficult to get seats around the pool or beach. We were never hassled for services or products at the Riu's like in the past with other Dom republic hotels. That was refreshing. The kids pool at the merengue was ideal as I was able to hold my son and walk out into the pool as it has a slow gradual decline made for children
They advertise that they restock your fridge daily but it's more like every 2nd day with one water and 2 beers. They can give you water at the front counter if you ask but you have to wait for refills, pay someone for more beers or buy them from the gift shops.
They did NOT restock toiletries so you definitely have to bring your own and they are over priced in the gift shop just like anywhere
Everything and anywhere you go you must barter as the prices that are charged at the shops on the outskirts of the beach and the shops between the hotels are ALL over priced. The shop located two shops to the right of the SPA had some unique wood work and each night we went there the prices doubled for each piece we showed interest in. SUPER unprofessional and shocking for the RIU's to not control better as the constant rip offs dampened the shopping experiences
My husband did the massage and he said it was great and 100% worth it.
It had its ups and downs but we liked it and I loved it and would go back but the rest of the group wouldn't. It was worth the 960$ we paid for the week !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata