“Nice short stay in Peurto Plata”

ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Nice short stay in Peurto Plata”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I spent a total of 3 nights at this resort while travelling during a 2 week stay in DR. The hotel had a nice ambience, good food, excellent entertainment. The animation supervisor, Ramon (Spaghetti) was amazing and became a good friend also.
I will return to Riu Merengue. Being British living in Canada, I liked that there were lots of British guests all up for a good time.
The only disappointment was the disco, nobody there and I found out later, yiou have to pay for drinks at the disco, probably the reason it was empty. This needs to be addressed but overall, excellent time, loved the Jet Skis I rented on the beach....an excellent time all-round

Room Tip: All rooms are great, I stayed in 2 different ones. Being only 2 storeys, not too many stairs to clim...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank Carolyn L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (788)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We went on JUNE 18 TIL 23, 2014. To me the place is a paradise and the people are all caring and dedicated to their job. I don't see grouchy faces. All of them greeted me every time i pass by! They are willing to do to cater your needs! The place is serene, though they have locals, who also come and vacation along with everyone. They are just like us trying to enjoy their stay. We went to the town of Puerto Plata the mercado, we walked and bought mango and the people are all smiling , that made us feel welcome to their town. I never feel any danger of going out the resort. We were been escorted by a tourist guide and these people are so proud of having you as their guest and treated us like a friend. I run every morning outside the resort and it was so great, the weather is perfect and the water in the beach is crisp! The resort and rooms are cleaned and well maintained. If you are in a tropical country, you will expect some bugs, but i never seen any at all. I would like to recommend RIU MERRENGUE to anyone looking for a nice place to stay. I loved the place and the people. I will surely coming back to them and i just miss it from the time i was back home in America. I loved the resort and the people. Those times i was there and memories i will treasure it in my heart! GOD bless you all. That place is my second home! Rainier Layug

Room Tip: our room is facing east!
10 Thank 1996rainier
Wales
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have stayed here with friends,very reasonable for price,food excellent (endless buffet tables) every night different entertainment nice beach,amazing housekeeping,clean rooms ,fridge stock up daily,stuff absolutely brilliant and helpful .Who don't wanna stay only on beach can also buy some different day,half day trips which are not that expensive and unforgettable,definitely worth it!
Will be back,hope soon!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank 102Martin102
Levis, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Please ignore all the racists comments about local guests being rude. I was really frightened before leaving for my trip but there is nothing to be worried about. Dominicans are charming people. I met more happy people on the Riu Merengue side (where locals seems to hang out and stay) than the Riu Bachata. They do not cut the lines and are polite. They like to party and have big families : it's all good to me.

Food deserve five stars. While I was expecting it would be the weakest link of the trip, buffets and restaurants were a real highlight ! Variety and quality. Rooms are ok and not as bad as some reviews suggests. Cleanliness of the site is one of the best I've ever seen for any facility that welcomes as many people. It's far better than many crowed places up north. Sanitary measures seems very important to Riu and it's comforting, the ratio staff vs visitor is high, you will always find someone to help you. Note that the English level of the employees is generally poor, except for some strategic position such as front Desk.

Ladies, please avoid showing your breasts on the beach. Dominicans are not doing it and we should respect the way they live. There are families on the resort and your nudity can be very uncomfortable to others.

One last word. Some of the RIU staff earn 200-400 dollars a month, would you work for that? Please tip them. They will give you good service, tip or not, but I'm sure they need this money. Don't give only to the barman, but gardeners and public toilet cleaners too, women especially.One dollar will make them happy. This will help the overall situation in the country. Keep in mind that most of the money generated by your trip escape the country you are visiting, owners of the resorts and flight companies are not based Dominican Republic...

Room Tip: Do not forget the traveler tax charged at the airport in Dominican Republic, 10$ to come in, 20$ to...
10 Thank Dave T
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Reviewed 25 June 2014

As first time travelers south we were advised by our travel agent to stay at nothing less than a 4 star hotel. Our flight arrived late but check in was great. Room was comfortable.Two beds pushed together isn't a King bed but this is a common practice in many resorts.Wish they had rye as one of the liquors provided in the room. The food was good as was the bar service. Al a cartes were great but you had to line up at 7am to get on the list. Entertainment was good with the African Show being the best. Beaches were good but you had to get out early to save a beach chair.The vendors on site are very pushy but don't pay what they are asking as every price is negotiable.Wifi is free and available in the lobby for an hour each day.I think the best surprise was finding out that we could share the resources of the sister resort Riu Bachata which allowed for more eating and drinking options.You can use the wifi in each lobby to increase your daily internet requirements if needed.We very much enjoyed our stay and will go back again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Ron M
toronto
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Pro’s

• Excellent entertainment - see photo of ones day’s worth of activities
• Great staff (for the most part) – particularly bartender “Sexy Boy” and his team
• Good food
• Good vibes
• Didn’t like our first room and the staff were quick to change it

Negatives

Rooms are dated – not a big deal because who spends their vacation in their room

Parking – This hotel has NO parking so if you plan to rent a car and venture around, or drive in from another part of the island as we did just forget about it. There is one narrow road which is always jammed with cars and you cannot even park on that road unless you are prepared to drive your vehicle down a deep gutter and then up the curb. In my case I had to do this with barely any space to get into the only spot available. See photos

As I began to parallel park on the road there was an short 50-60 something, lighter skinned Dominican man at the entrance who told us that if I could not drive up the curb like the other vehicles, that I could not park there. I explained that my car was a rental and I didn’t think I could do it without damaging my car. He did not care and got very loud and rude. I told him he was behaving really poorly and I would like to speak with a manager. Now for the best part – he said he was the manager. I told him that I would include this aspect of our visit in our review because it was ridiculous. There was nowhere else to park and I didn’t want to damage my car. He then proceeded to shout at me saying this is the problem with people from other countries and the internet – he went on a complete rant. He started rallying other guests who had no clue what was going on like I was a problem making a big deal out of nothing. Finally completely frustrated and embarrassed I tried to park the way he wanted and guess what happened – I slammed into another car. Thanks Mr. Manager. I was so lucky that the other driver wasn’t mean and actually parked my car for me. Later I spoke to the manager for the hotel who apologized – that’s it! Gee that goes a long way after being humiliated and crashing my car.

Ridiculous Buffet Policy – so this is very much a 3star hotel – nothing fancy whatsoever. At dinner it was really hot and my husband was wearing a tank top. He was refused entry to the buffet. We went to the room and he changed. When we entered the buffet we observed women in bathing suit tops, bras with see through shirts, crop tops and more – total hypocrites. See photos

Beds – they push 2 like 50 year old lumpy beds together which isn’t exactly comfortable – see photos

In summation – had the parking issue not occured - we could have lived with the some of the other issues and probably would have returned to this hotel and would have posted an excellent review. I don’t think I would return to this hotel as long as that psyco manager continues to work there. The I am so sorry approach of the hotel manager - while it is a nice gesture, its not good enough when measured against how horrible the experience with that other manager was.

Room Tip: No tips - all rooms are the same
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank CourtneyandPepe
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have stayed at the riu hotels in puerto plata MANY times, but never experienced having the "local trade" take over. These people were rude,dirty, foul mouthed and plain nasty. It seemed like they don't care about anyone and are just interested in getting every penny's worth of their stay. Their children run rampant, the parents drunk and fighting, throwing garbage into the pool, kids urinating into the pool standing on the side and parents laughing. They shove you in line at the buffet, push you out of the way to get ahead of you and just don't have any manners.
This was my very LAST trip to any Riu. I booked through cheap carribean and will never use them again because THEY KNEW and did't say anything.

Room Tip: suites are the best rooms of course with the best views.
10 Thank steve3528