ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Be Live Collection Marien(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$160
Be Live Hotels
  • Breakfast included
BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$156
US$157
Iberostar.com
  • Breakfast included
Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$159
US$287
US$277
VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$303
US$244
  • Breakfast included
Cofresi Palm Beach & Spa Resort(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$203
US$130
  • Pool
US$158
US$128
US$131
  • Pool
Blue JackTar(Puerto Plata)(Great Value!)
US$154
US$149
Travelocity
5,667 results
All reviewsanimation teamcheeky monkeytwo weekscaribbean streetpalm treesbachata poolparadise islandocean worlddominican republicmini bargreat holidayevery other dayswim up bara la cartehand sanitizermexican nighttowel art
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed here on an all inclusive package with my wife in April/May. There are some pluses but I'm afraid not many. The Merengue is one of three RIU resort hotels, which are all co located on the same sprawling site. This allows guests to move between the facilities of all three venues allowing you to choose (at lunchtimes) which hotel to take lunch and use of different pools, depending on your preference. Rooms. Rooms are on suite chalet like in design, but are beginning to look tired. Beds are uncomfortable and old, the decor is drab, electric points are in some cases hanging off the walls, lights sometimes work - sometimes don't giving the impression that the wiring is suspect to say the least. The bathrooms are the biggest let down and are in need of a refit. I would suggest - looking at the shower, that it had been in the room for some considerable time - perhaps decades. On the plus side they were kept clean by the housekeeping staff. Rooms 2 out of 10. Drinks. We knew beforehand that alcoholic drinks are of a local variety and we're not branded. Each room has a locked cabinet containing 4 bottles of spirits dispensed through optics and you can drink as much or as little as you like. The spirits themselves are pretty poor to say the least and although I could not prove it, I'm sure that at least one of the bottles had been watered down, or they were of such a poor quality that I was unable to taste the difference. The resort bars are no different I'm afraid although you can buy premium bottles in the local shops at a premium if you want, but that's not the point of an all inclusive holiday. Drinks 1 out of 10. Pools. The best pool is at the Bachata resort. The pool at the Merengue is small. I'm afraid that the pools are also starting to look a little tired. Paint falling off the concrete and there seemed to be more debris in the pool than I remember on my last visit. There is also an issue with youngsters getting extremely boisterous and swearing all the time. Pools 5 out of 10. Entertainment. I am not going to go there. It's enough to say that it's diabolical. Not to detract from the entertainment team who work really hard, but it cannot be described by any stretch of the imagination as entertainment. Entertainment 1 out of 10. Food is repetitive and on the whole bland - unless you like fried food, particularly chips. Think motorway cafe. Food 3 out of 10. On the plus side the grounds to the hotel are immaculate and it's clear that staff work extremely hard to maintain the outside of the resort. 9 out of 10. On the whole it's poor and I'm afraid we won't be returning unless there is some serious change. A shame really as this has not been our experience previously. It's clear that the staff work extremely hard but regret to say that the resort lets itself down in so many areas. I hope that it can be turned around. P.S. WiFi don't bother. Over subscribed even if you pay for the premium service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Notyash2014
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Let me start off by saying the grounds are kept very nice the staff was reasonably helpful but depending on what coloris bang you was wearing would determine what kind of service you would get which at times made me feel like a second class citizen they promote free WiFi in lobby but that's a lie its free wifi for 9 minutes not 90 minutes a day 90 minutes from the moment you start once you start your clock begins and whether you used 90 minutes of WiFi time or not that's all the wifi time you will get the food here is absolutely terrible I got sick on my 3rd day there and it's still taking me time to recover from that horrible food. I read previous reviews complaining about all the locals on this resort which to me wasn't really that bad cuz it gives me a good feel of the culture of the people of that island but when children are free to run wild go up to the bar and get drinks it's a little concerning. If you decide to go either jet skiing or any of the other motorize watersports that they have on the beach please be careful there are no real instructors they give you few pieces of information and then send you on your way so if you truly don't know what you doing you are risking your life so please do not do the waters motorized water sports unless you are already trained on how do use the equipment because these people will not make sure that you're safe. Whenever you're shopping at any of the local shops on the resort please don't ever play full price for anything you can bargain your way down to a much lower price. So my overall experience at this resort for the 3 nights that I wish there was sub par at best. If not for the friends that I was there with who made it to be a great time to be there with them this would have been a complete an artery horrible experience I will never ever come back to this resort and I will be sure to tell others to not come here as well.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank RunHotCEO
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We came here on vacation july 6th and came home July 11th. We've been to the Dominican 3 times now and thie 3rd time was not the charm, this was the 1st time going to Puerto Plata and I don't think we will be back. It was a beautiful resort, the pools were nice, the drinks were ok at best, except for when Diaz, the bartender was on. He made the best drinks. I think there were more kids there than adults and they dominated the pool at the Merengue so we spent all our time at The Bachata. There were all kinds of restrictions we were not used to, and this was the first time my husband was diving in the Caribbean and he said there was nothing to see. Most importantly, my daughter got sick toward the end of the week and I got sick on the plane home. The food was horrible. The nightly entertainment was very good however. I would recommend going to punta Cana and stay at The Iberostar, or Dreams resort and spa, both are fantastic places to stay with little to no disappointments.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Matt W
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed with my family jul 13-15 for two nights and it felt like we were waiting in line at a public pool in nyc. People were scrambling for food, grabbing whatever was available in the Buffet, skipping lines and the workers were overwhelmed with so many people. The AC did not work properly. Bottom line is, this is not a resort, its more like a public area where everybody come in for free. way too many people for my type of resort vacation.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Franklin F
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at this place last year and again this place was over run with locals running amok and causing havoc. We were told before we went that measures had been put in place to sort things out and they hadn't we had a dreadful time here and once again I see the same thing happening a year later. People should boycott this place as the holiday company is not looking after the holiday makers and they do not care. This place should be taken out of all brochures

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family