“Lovely holiday, though the weekends are hit or miss!”

ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Lovely holiday, though the weekends are hit or miss!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here back in May 2013 (not 2014 as stated) with my in laws. The hotel was clean and all staff friendly. Bar service was great but beware the cocktails are in fact just different flavoured slushies with your choice of spirit poured in. Good variety of food.

The entertainment team are quite insistent and pushy to get you involved in the activities throughout the day, not ideal if you just want to relax by the pool. Never had any problem getting a sunbed, but maybe because May is a quieter time of year. Stay clear of the pool with the swim up bar if you want peace to read/listen to music as the young group holidays tend to stay here and throw litter in pool etc.

Beautiful scenery, cracking beach, great staff and the optics in your room are a bonus! Only reason I didn't give 5 out of 5 is because at the weekend when the locals come and stay, they let their kids run riot, leaving mess in the pool and eat like there is no tomorrow and they have no respect for the other guests or the property. Poor hotel staff try their best but they are out of control at times. At first I thought I was being fussy but it turns out several others have had the same experience, which is a shame.

Take advantage of the trips on offer as Puerto Plata isn't the type of place where you could take a wander into the town, it seems very dangerous.

Worthwhile visiting the Brugal rum factory. Yummy! And also, when ordering at the bar, be specific and ask for Brugal rum otherwise they will give you bog standard rum. Brugal is phenomenal, even if you're not a big rum drinker I urge you to try it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Lauren M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (788)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
New york
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel is nice but the room has a 12 inch tv and the ac is very weak. The restaraunts are all located outside and tend to become very hot! In my room I found and was forced to kill 3 cockroaches! The reception laughed when I told them about the cockroaches! It was digusting and the roaches crawled on us at night! Very disgusting room in cleanliness!

• Stayed August 2014
7 Thank Kelseyjj
Newport Gwent
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I booked this holiday to celebrate my wife's 50th Birthday, before we booked & after I read numerous reviews about this hotel. I have to say now after our visit that if you have booked you have no worries at all, as long as you are not exspecting 5* luxury, if thats what your after then pay another £1000 & get it. What you will find is a hotel that has some of the best friendliest hard working staff you could ask for, working in 30de gree heat to make your holiday spiecial !. Its right on a beutiful beach & if you walk past the shacks selling tac at the end of the beach you'll find 3 bays which you can have almost all to your self. We had 17days here in March/April & the weather was very good,constant 30 broken up by a few hrs of rain now & again. I'm not a fussy eater, however my wife is picky & neither of us could fault the food, the steak restraunt & the italian were lovely too.
We went to the sea life centre & swam with dolphins, sting rays & sharks which was brilliant (The highlight of the trip for my wife) I think it was excellent value for money (we did the royal swim).
I would have no quarms about going back to this hotel, its the lowest priced hotel in the caribian & represents great value for money, as you have use of all the facilities of the Batchata as well.

Room Tip: Visit the sea life centre
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Martinh21
Reviewed 31 July 2014

On July 14th 2014 my family and I registered at the Riu's Hotel/club Merenge in Puerto Plata. We did arrive early and the clerk checked to see if the room was ready. We were able to go to our room within a few minutes. When we got there we found 2 double beds pushed together to make what was supposed to look like a king bed. The mini bar had not been re-stocked nor was there anything in the refidge. We asked about it and were assured that it would be taken care of. Well 6 hours and 3 complaints later they gave us 1 lage bottle of water, 1 club soda, 1 cola and 2 cans of Presidente. I let them know that there were 4 of us and that what they gave us was insufficient. They again assured me that it would be taken care of but wasn't until later the next day. While booking our room we saw a deal for getting a 4th night free. We decided, despite the lack of customer commitment from the hotel staff, to extend our stay one day. I asked about the 4th night free as we were now staying 3 nights, and was told that we had to book our nights together in order to get the deal. Another ploy?. On the 3rd day at checkout our mini bar had still not been refilled. We were able to go to the Bachata hotel next door and hang out (a much more fun atmosphere), but were told we could not order drinks because we were not guests there. I explained that the desk clerk at the Merenge told us we had full access to all the amenities at all the hotels on the property. The bar tender did not agree and told us that we needed a different color arm band, which the desk clerk also did not tell us. The pool closed at 6pm too. I would not recommend the Riu hotels here as it seems they just don't care about you once you have paid for your room/. Riu shame on you for having such poor customer service and an "I don't care" attitude.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank William V
East Hanover, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed at this resort from July 20 to 24. Let me start by saying it is not a 5 nor 4 star resort. It isn't pricey so you get what you pay for. Food was just ok. Yes, there were many locals. No, they didn't bother me. Guess if you are looking for a quiet and relaxing getaway this is not it! One major complaint I had here was that the room air conditioning upon arrival was very bad. Hardly felt cool, but the bell boy assured it was due to fact the room wasn't in use and would get better. Never happened! We sweat soo much at night to the point where was difficult to sleep. Next morning went to reception and was told a technician would come to room n fix the problem. Waited hour n half n no show. Went to lobby again, same promise, no show. Called lobby n receptionist said oh it's you when I gave her my room number, and then said they were experiencing problems w AC in general. Went personally to speak to supervisor , and Rosend a regular employee w no supervisor title was told to speak to me. I realized I'd been lied to as he obviously was not a supervisor because he went to another woman and told her what was happening w my room. This lady was not pleasant at all! Wouldn't listen to him n told him loud enough thst I could hear thst I wasn't entitled to a room change as I had already changed twice. This was not true!
Long story short, I demanded her my money back, they promised AC back in afternoon, it dud come back around 3:00, felt good, then knocked it off around 2:00 in the morning!! This happened every day! I asked pple around Europeans, N locals and this was the case for all!! Saving on the AC.
Oh and the Mosquitos in the rooms and outside halls were awful!!! I've never stayed in such a place n it's too bad because the facility has soo much potential. Beautiful beach n palm trees. Oh well maybe if management changes! Until then adios to this resort.

• Stayed July 2014
7 Thank Cumfytraveler
New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family is a Riu Merengue customer since 2001 and have brought many of our friends and family to Riu Merengue over the years. This time I came with my mom for her birthday. During the week is not bad, although it is obvious the hotel has been losing its touch over the years judging by the quality and variety of food, to service overall, to the in room bar. In general the hotel is overbooked and understaffed more so on weekends. On my mom’s birthday even though I asked in advance, there was absolutely nothing done to make her feel special. In prior years there were decorations in the room and fruit platter or something small and cute from the hotel...now there was nothing. In the restaurant after a long search throughout the entire restaurant with plates in our hands we barely were able to find a table to sit, never mind the lack of service from any waiters since they were packed to the gills and simply understaffed and unable to handle the amount of clients. I was not able to get anyone to sing her happy birthday or bring out a cake...I was extremely disappointed. The overcrowding begins every Friday. The long lines to get the food are beyond ridiculous. Depending on the station, there were anywhere between 15 and 40 people standing on line. On one particular day there were about 50 people waiting on line and the line was outside the restaurant. So you can imagine what was left in the platters or the pans after that quantity of people...not much. The chefs were trying to replenish the food as fast as they could but on many occasions and many stations were left empty. Once you make your way to the entertainment, there were no seats available. There were some tables but the chairs were all taken. People were standing up and blocking everyone’s view. The in room bar was filled every other day. It had one liter bottle of water for the entire room, one diet soda, a regular soda and two cans of beer. When I called reception one day after coming back to the room from the beach asking for more water and diet soda I was told that there is no more soda but that they can send a porter with water as they have some bottles in reception...the porter never came and I was too disappointed to bother calling again. We went to take a walk to their sister hotel next door Riu Bachata...they were not overbooked. We were told by reception that all the locals go to Riu merengue and the people from other countries come to Bachata. We were asked us why we don’t want to go to bachata....we just answered that we used to like Merengue better….Last day of our trip was on a Sunday. When we went to breakfast, it look like a riot had broken out. Food stations either had no food at all and were completely empty or the ones that still had food has lines of 40-50 people… locals. I was so shocked at this vision and so embarrassed for the hotel I wanted to take a picture but decided against it. I did not want to make the locals out to seem like animals trying to get their food. Overall I am not sure that I would be back to my beloved Merengue. The service is lacking and management is okay with that. This was not the pleasant experience that I paid for.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Raechka
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We were at this Hotel 5 years ago and had very good experiences.
This time we were very disappointed.
The food was very salty , the local guest were not respectful exp. we could not get proper access to the food buffet due to the local guest not being respectful in line, the children were all over to help themselves without parental control. The Food selection was not a 5 star hotel presentation.
the desert and fruit presentation was not in line for European and north American taste.
We have been in various Riu Hotel worldwide ( including Spain , Canary Islands ect ) and never had any complaints. We are not returning to this hotel ... period

Room Tip: rooms are adequate
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple