My husband and I stayed here back in May 2013 (not 2014 as stated) with my in laws. The hotel was clean and all staff friendly. Bar service was great but beware the cocktails are in fact just different flavoured slushies with your choice of spirit poured in. Good variety of food.
The entertainment team are quite insistent and pushy to get you involved in the activities throughout the day, not ideal if you just want to relax by the pool. Never had any problem getting a sunbed, but maybe because May is a quieter time of year. Stay clear of the pool with the swim up bar if you want peace to read/listen to music as the young group holidays tend to stay here and throw litter in pool etc.
Beautiful scenery, cracking beach, great staff and the optics in your room are a bonus! Only reason I didn't give 5 out of 5 is because at the weekend when the locals come and stay, they let their kids run riot, leaving mess in the pool and eat like there is no tomorrow and they have no respect for the other guests or the property. Poor hotel staff try their best but they are out of control at times. At first I thought I was being fussy but it turns out several others have had the same experience, which is a shame.
Take advantage of the trips on offer as Puerto Plata isn't the type of place where you could take a wander into the town, it seems very dangerous.
Worthwhile visiting the Brugal rum factory. Yummy! And also, when ordering at the bar, be specific and ask for Brugal rum otherwise they will give you bog standard rum. Brugal is phenomenal, even if you're not a big rum drinker I urge you to try it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with 5viajes2012 S.L., Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata