“best holiday ever-so far”

ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Llanelli, United Kingdom
“best holiday ever-so far”
Reviewed 5 April 2010

i cannot praise the hotel and staff enough,on all counts it is superb.
food-enough of a choice to entertain any type of appetite
cleanliness-maids on all the main toilets with alcohol gel before entering,and also on the entrance to the main restaurant too.
staff-all willing and very helpful and big praises to the very good animation team too.
all in all an excellent holiday experience which we didn't want to end.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brynbabe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (786)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Stirling ontario
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Staff excellent food great rooms clean neat and tidy shows were good drinks were made to perfection

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
PA
Reviewed 4 April 2010

My friend and I were looking for a beach getaway and boy did we find it! Priced just right! I felt like we got a huge discount because we were treated like princesses! :-) From the minute we walked into the lobby until we left, nothing but the best service that I have found NO WHERE ELSE but at a Riu. This was my 3rd stay at a Riu, and my boyfriend and I are returning here in June 2010 and this will be my 5th Riu stay. I love the chain! If theres a Riu I AM THERE!!!!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank queenbeejo
DR
Reviewed 4 April 2010

First the reception is very desorganized!....I dont know if is because i've been to a lot of Hotels @ DR but... i didnt like this one... the buffet restaurant was Ok. wasnt repetitive. The pool i didnt even try it, cuz was small and didnt like it at all.

Everything was like together. Reception, lobby, beach, snack bar, and pool.

I think i would have been better if there wasnt soooo many rooms. Btw the bed is not comfortable!. Thnx God my bathroom window was a lil bit covered, but in one of my way to the restaurant i saw a man taking a shower.

I went one night to watch the show @ Riu Bachata, and it seemed definately better than Merengue. The pool was bigger and better, the space, everything!

• Stayed April 2010
lucknow, ON
Reviewed 3 April 2010

We stayed here for a week, my wife and our 2 children, 13yrs, and 14yrs. We had a good time, the hotel was very nice. Didn't have a swim up bar, and the pool was basic no frills. I hear the resort is scheduled for a make over next year with a new pool, and alot of upgrades.
The first 2 days we made reservations in the al la carte, once in the steakhouse, the next in the italian (same restaurant).... the food was ok. The 3rd day we ate in the buffet... and that was amazing... We stayed with the buffet for the remainder of our stay. The food was excellent, alot of choices, and food stations. Most of which was cooked right behind each station, and was constantly replenished. I think the food was as good or better than Tucker's Marketplace.. . or any other buffet I've ever been to.

The room was very clean, and yes a bit dated. The mattresses were not great, the airconditioning wasn't great... took the edge off, but thats about it. Maids kept turning it off everyday when they made up the room.

The minibar wasn't restocked as often as I'd like.... they claimed every 2 days... we never got any refill of water or pop during our 1 week stay.

I would definatly go back to this resort, had a good time all in all.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
eastern canada
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We stayed at this resort with our son and his girlfriend the week of Jan 7th to Jan 14th, 2010. The rooms are a little dated but are kept very clean. The a la carte restaurant is very difficult to get into, go early to book... you book at the entrance to the buffet restaurant. The staff were wonderful. The biggest disappointment was probably the weather... no fault of the resort but we had 4 days of rain out of 6. Our son and his girlfriend did the Ocean World excursion and had a great day swimming with the dolphins even though it rained the whole day...Watch out for the time share people at Ocean World. We went on the simply shopping excursion just to get away for a bit and since it was raining and we were on a hunt for Corona... Well we were advised we would be taken to places where purchases would be at local prices, the first spot was very touristy, the second place was a dive, the third place was a new shopping complex and had everything even Corona...Yeah... Then we went to the Playa Dorado Shopping Complex... why they would take us to a tourist resort complex is beyond me. We were sitting outside having a cervaza when we felt the Haitian earthquake... Didn't know what it was at the time, found out later about the earthquake.
So back to the resort. The food became very repetitive after the first couple of days.
The beach leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't even go as my spouse advised me I wouldn't like it.
All in all we wouldn't go back to the Puerta Plata area of the Dominican, have been to Punta Cana 5 times and would go back there, we are leaving in a few weeks to go to Cayo Levantado in Samana and looking forward to it..

• Stayed January 2010
draytonvalleyalberta
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We spent the week of March 24-31 at the Riu Mambo- a great deal for a week all inclusive- and if I could sum it up in three words (I won’t because I am long-winded and this will be a long review) I would say WE’LL BE BACK!!!!!!!! It totally exceeded our expectations- we read all the reviews, looked at all the pictures for weeks before we went and I think that the pictures on the websites don’t even come close to how beautiful everything is in real life. The beach, the pool area, the buildings, the landscape- fantastic!!!!!!! We went with Sunquest tours and everything went smooth as silk - they ushered us through everything and after a good flight and entertaining, informative bus ride with fellow excited travelers, we found ourselves sipping ice cold fruit punch out of champagne glasses in the beautiful open air lobby. We didn’t have two rooms in the same building at first, but since we traveled with our teenagers, we asked for two together- in five minutes they gave us rooms across the hall from each other in what we thought was the best building on the resort- steps from the pool, reception, dining areas, and a minute from the beach! Fabulous!!! The rooms are in gorgeous buildings which house 10 or 12 rooms on two levels- very cozy and are freshly painted in bright, cheerful colours. The rooms were great- lots of storage, the AC worked, immaculately cleaned everyday by cheerful maids, nice deck with drying rack for we suits and towels- nice touch. (There were facecloths there, despite some reviews saying there weren’t any)Our luggage was taken to our rooms where we found a plate of fresh tropical fruit - mmm, loved it. The rooms have a bit of musty smell at first, but anywhere humid will have a different smell - the kids said it smelled like Grampy’s house (who lives in the maritimes in Canada)- anywhere on the water will have a different “feel and smell” but you get used to it- I brought bounce sheets to put in the drawers with our clothes.
Beach- beautiful- with plenty of sun for worshippers, and shade for when you’ve had too much sun. The water was divine- warm and got deep enough for swimming very quickly- but lots of room on the beach to just paddle at the shore. The bottom was sandy with some patches of seaweed- the salt water was very buoyant - can float easily without any help. Pools- Never too crowded- very refreshing- again with lots of chairs for sun or shade- people did save spots with their towels early, but there was always somewhere to sit. We spent our days going from beach to pool and back- what a “difficult” decision to make- should I swim in this wonderful pool, or swim in the wonderful ocean- day after day…. J The pools did close early- 6pm- would be nice to have them open a little longer- but the ocean was always “open” There was a bit of topless sunbathing on the beach (not by me!)- there is good naked and bad naked!) - a little harmless “education” for my 14 year old son J . I saw three mosquitoes the whole time we were there- no bugs in the rooms (I brought Off and Raid- didn’t use them). The entertainment staff worked tirelessly- organizing and participating in games all day long- no pressure to play- they just announced it a couple of times- they didn’t pressure anyone or become intrusive . We played waterpolo, volleyball and ping pong a few times - fun to interactive with fellow travelers. When the games were over for the day- the team put on their dancing shoes and starred in the evening shows. (I’m not sure when they slept)The shows were fun- we tried to go to one each night at one of the three resorts. My husband and daughter each got up to sing Karaoke one night-they were great! One night the show was on the beach with a bonfire- we appreciate any kind of live entertainment so we enjoyed all the entertainment.
Food- there was plenty of it and many, many choices- some things were there every night and some evenings were theme nights- Chinese, Mexican and Dominican- we tried to sample some things we never had before- there were so many choices, we would have had to fill our plates 5 times to try everything! We didn’t get tired of the food-lots and lots of variety.
The only negative thing I have to say about the food- the a la carte meal we had. You do have to get up early (7am,) to book a table for the a la carte. My husband went down to book for one evening- for the steakhouse- we went to the early (630pm) seating. It was nice to sit and be served but that’s about it. Three of us ordered steak with vegetables and “aromatic” potatoes. We’re not “food snobs” but being from Alberta, we are used to the best steaks ever and we were prepared for steak that might not be as great as what we are used to. The “rib-eye” steaks that we got were well done, fried, tough and full of fat and the potatoes were fries with parmesan cheese on them- no kidding-I had read that in reviews but thought they must be some kind of roasted potatoes- but they are fries! We laughed about it, ate enough to be polite (afterall we are Canadian) said no thank you to dessert, then went to the buffet for Mexican night!! (It was delicious!) Our a la carte night just became a funny story more than a dining experience! The waiter there really tried hard - another thing that was funny was that a bit of my red wine spilled on the white table cloth and it was so watered down, it didn’t even stain- too funny.
There were shops at the Merengue- Caribbean Street and also some local shops at the end of the beach- no one was allowed to come around to pester anyone to sell anything. (offer half or even a third of what they first tell you for prices) We went on one excursion- to Ocean World- worth the money- esp. with kids)
I could go on and on about the great trip we had ( I don’t think they will let me write any more) It was sensational and we can’t wait to go back!!!!!!! Mambo was great for families- not a party place- didn’t see anyone drunk! Lots of fellow Canadians, British, and German people- and a few Americans. Go to Mambo! See you next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family