The accomodation was ok - not 4 star but definately 3. If you drink Rum, ask for Brugal or else you'll get some watered down stuff that gives you the runs.
The rooms (we tried two) both smelled damp, insist on a change. In the main the staff were Ok but I have just, today come back from DR and, as a dark skinned BLACK woman from the UK, who is well educated and well travelled I found DR to be among the most RACIST place I have visited with the exception of Russia and perhaps Germany.
I paid £2000 for a one week visit for a friend and I. She is mixed race and the contrast between how we were treated was 'stark'. I was ignored by many reception, gardening and cleaning staff who would say 'halo' to my friend and other European visitors whilst they averted their eyes or just spoke to someone else when I came along and as for the Head Waiter - forget it! Some of the UK white visitors commiserated with me - not good!
My visit to DR was amongst the most degrading of my life and for those of you who justify your treatment of the Haiti's by referring to yourselves as Mullato, you should feel ashamed of your lack of acknowledgement of the slave trade and the fact that this is what brought about such a term and your being.
I was told the DR government, which has food in abundance, has set up a trading post so the Haitians can trade the clothes and shoes they get get from the UN (which is apparently very good) for food, AS THEY DON'T NEED SUCH ITEMS!!!!!!.
I will visit DR again because, to be honest, although this was my experience of the 'privileged''lighter skinned' resort workers the RUI tends to employ, whilst out of the resort, people 'in general' and food were more pleasant.
I should add that my experience of the Rui in Cape Verde was not dissimilar, though perhaps I had less of an expectation. The RUI need to consider their staffing policy and train their staff in inclusivity and customer care. I WILL NOT VISIT A RUI AGAIN!!!!
To be told stories on the bus drive by the outsourced contractor on the Thomas Cook trip to Paradise Island (a sand dune in the middle of the sea of no more than two hundred metres square) of how the DR's admire white skin and would walk in the sun with umbrellas to avoid looking like chocolate or dried cocoa in the sun was insulting to say the least. No disrespect to Thomas Cook though, Abby the rep is phenomenal.
Looking at the Internet, my experience is not isolated so go at your own peril but be warned, its not a nice experience and for context, this is probably the 3rd time in my nearly 50 years that I've been made to feel like [-]. These BLACK people think they're Spanish! and I wouldn't mind, some of them were darker than me!!!!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The ClubHotel Riu Merengue (All Inclusive 24h) is located in Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic, and is surrounded by impressive views of the mountains and a lush, natural environment. This is the perfect setting for unforgettable holidays. The ClubHotel offers all facilities you could need for relaxing holidays away from the hustle and bustle of the city. You’ll find a fresh water swimming pool, a solarium terrace, a gym and the Renova Spa wellness centre with a range of different treatments and massages as well as a sauna. In the Dominican Republic you can find a wide range of international cuisine, but if you want to make the most of your time in this marvellous destination by sampling Dominican cuisine, delicious in both taste and colour, you can enjoy a wide variety of flavours and aromas, as Dominican dishes mainly consist of fruit and vegetables. In the buffet restaurant or themed restaurant you’ll find an endless range of dishes and recipes prepared by our chefs every day. The hotel shares its facilities with the hotel complexes of the ClubHotel Riu Bachata. You’ll enjoy access to the entertainment programme and activities thanks to the acclaimed All Inclusive system. Whether you’re travelling as a family, couple or with friends, you’ll find a wide variety of activities to keep you entertained all day long.. There are areas for enjoying tennis, table tennis, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, bodyboarding, snorkelling, golf, volleyball, swimming and much more. Your children can also enjoy crafts, activities and dancing together with other kids in the RiuLand programme. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Merengue reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Club Hotel Riu Merengue
- Clubhotel Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Riu Merengue Dominican Republic
- Riu Merengue Puerto Plata
- Rui Merengue
- ClubHotel Riu Merengue Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata