“Ok but don't entertain it if you consider yourself Black”

ClubHotel Riu Merengue
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Puerto Plata
london
“Ok but don't entertain it if you consider yourself Black”
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The accomodation was ok - not 4 star but definately 3. If you drink Rum, ask for Brugal or else you'll get some watered down stuff that gives you the runs.

The rooms (we tried two) both smelled damp, insist on a change. In the main the staff were Ok but I have just, today come back from DR and, as a dark skinned BLACK woman from the UK, who is well educated and well travelled I found DR to be among the most RACIST place I have visited with the exception of Russia and perhaps Germany.

I paid £2000 for a one week visit for a friend and I. She is mixed race and the contrast between how we were treated was 'stark'. I was ignored by many reception, gardening and cleaning staff who would say 'halo' to my friend and other European visitors whilst they averted their eyes or just spoke to someone else when I came along and as for the Head Waiter - forget it! Some of the UK white visitors commiserated with me - not good!

My visit to DR was amongst the most degrading of my life and for those of you who justify your treatment of the Haiti's by referring to yourselves as Mullato, you should feel ashamed of your lack of acknowledgement of the slave trade and the fact that this is what brought about such a term and your being.

I was told the DR government, which has food in abundance, has set up a trading post so the Haitians can trade the clothes and shoes they get get from the UN (which is apparently very good) for food, AS THEY DON'T NEED SUCH ITEMS!!!!!!.

I will visit DR again because, to be honest, although this was my experience of the 'privileged''lighter skinned' resort workers the RUI tends to employ, whilst out of the resort, people 'in general' and food were more pleasant.

I should add that my experience of the Rui in Cape Verde was not dissimilar, though perhaps I had less of an expectation. The RUI need to consider their staffing policy and train their staff in inclusivity and customer care. I WILL NOT VISIT A RUI AGAIN!!!!

To be told stories on the bus drive by the outsourced contractor on the Thomas Cook trip to Paradise Island (a sand dune in the middle of the sea of no more than two hundred metres square) of how the DR's admire white skin and would walk in the sun with umbrellas to avoid looking like chocolate or dried cocoa in the sun was insulting to say the least. No disrespect to Thomas Cook though, Abby the rep is phenomenal.

Looking at the Internet, my experience is not isolated so go at your own peril but be warned, its not a nice experience and for context, this is probably the 3rd time in my nearly 50 years that I've been made to feel like [-]. These BLACK people think they're Spanish! and I wouldn't mind, some of them were darker than me!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank cool57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2010

i cannot praise the hotel and staff enough,on all counts it is superb.
food-enough of a choice to entertain any type of appetite
cleanliness-maids on all the main toilets with alcohol gel before entering,and also on the entrance to the main restaurant too.
staff-all willing and very helpful and big praises to the very good animation team too.
all in all an excellent holiday experience which we didn't want to end.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brynbabe
Stirling ontario
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Staff excellent food great rooms clean neat and tidy shows were good drinks were made to perfection

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
PA
Reviewed 4 April 2010

My friend and I were looking for a beach getaway and boy did we find it! Priced just right! I felt like we got a huge discount because we were treated like princesses! :-) From the minute we walked into the lobby until we left, nothing but the best service that I have found NO WHERE ELSE but at a Riu. This was my 3rd stay at a Riu, and my boyfriend and I are returning here in June 2010 and this will be my 5th Riu stay. I love the chain! If theres a Riu I AM THERE!!!!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank queenbeejo
DR
Reviewed 4 April 2010

First the reception is very desorganized!....I dont know if is because i've been to a lot of Hotels @ DR but... i didnt like this one... the buffet restaurant was Ok. wasnt repetitive. The pool i didnt even try it, cuz was small and didnt like it at all.

Everything was like together. Reception, lobby, beach, snack bar, and pool.

I think i would have been better if there wasnt soooo many rooms. Btw the bed is not comfortable!. Thnx God my bathroom window was a lil bit covered, but in one of my way to the restaurant i saw a man taking a shower.

I went one night to watch the show @ Riu Bachata, and it seemed definately better than Merengue. The pool was bigger and better, the space, everything!

• Stayed April 2010
lucknow, ON
Reviewed 3 April 2010

We stayed here for a week, my wife and our 2 children, 13yrs, and 14yrs. We had a good time, the hotel was very nice. Didn't have a swim up bar, and the pool was basic no frills. I hear the resort is scheduled for a make over next year with a new pool, and alot of upgrades.
The first 2 days we made reservations in the al la carte, once in the steakhouse, the next in the italian (same restaurant).... the food was ok. The 3rd day we ate in the buffet... and that was amazing... We stayed with the buffet for the remainder of our stay. The food was excellent, alot of choices, and food stations. Most of which was cooked right behind each station, and was constantly replenished. I think the food was as good or better than Tucker's Marketplace.. . or any other buffet I've ever been to.

The room was very clean, and yes a bit dated. The mattresses were not great, the airconditioning wasn't great... took the edge off, but thats about it. Maids kept turning it off everyday when they made up the room.

The minibar wasn't restocked as often as I'd like.... they claimed every 2 days... we never got any refill of water or pop during our 1 week stay.

I would definatly go back to this resort, had a good time all in all.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
eastern canada
Reviewed 1 April 2010

We stayed at this resort with our son and his girlfriend the week of Jan 7th to Jan 14th, 2010. The rooms are a little dated but are kept very clean. The a la carte restaurant is very difficult to get into, go early to book... you book at the entrance to the buffet restaurant. The staff were wonderful. The biggest disappointment was probably the weather... no fault of the resort but we had 4 days of rain out of 6. Our son and his girlfriend did the Ocean World excursion and had a great day swimming with the dolphins even though it rained the whole day...Watch out for the time share people at Ocean World. We went on the simply shopping excursion just to get away for a bit and since it was raining and we were on a hunt for Corona... Well we were advised we would be taken to places where purchases would be at local prices, the first spot was very touristy, the second place was a dive, the third place was a new shopping complex and had everything even Corona...Yeah... Then we went to the Playa Dorado Shopping Complex... why they would take us to a tourist resort complex is beyond me. We were sitting outside having a cervaza when we felt the Haitian earthquake... Didn't know what it was at the time, found out later about the earthquake.
So back to the resort. The food became very repetitive after the first couple of days.
The beach leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't even go as my spouse advised me I wouldn't like it.
All in all we wouldn't go back to the Puerta Plata area of the Dominican, have been to Punta Cana 5 times and would go back there, we are leaving in a few weeks to go to Cayo Levantado in Samana and looking forward to it..

• Stayed January 2010