“Re-booking for next year!”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Ok, perspective is everything when reading a review...I am 39 years old, love adventure, great food, music and fun. I have stayed in 5 star places when I have wanted and 1 star places when I didn't need the ammenities. This is a solid 3 star resort full of fun fun fun. It's super casual, but has standards(no towels in buffet room etc.) I never saw anyone falling down drunk, but everyone loved the pool bar and the beach bar is fantastic, ocean front, and Polanco is a charming fun bartender.
The rooms are basic, who needs more than that on a beautiful Island? CLEAN CLEAN, very clean resort.
The reviews I read said to AVOID the pool front rooms due to noise????? i guess if you go to sleep between 8-11, yes do so, if not enjoy the shorter walk to your lounge chair. The lounges get taken up by 10am, so get your towel on one before you hit the buffet. if you want one by the beach get your butt up even earlier, like 7am! We stayed in block 7000, overlooks the spa pool and closer to the little bridge to the beach, I liked it would stay again but maybe on ground floor. But I'd have no problem with a pool front room, like in 3000, 4000, 6000, but 8000 is also by the spa, spa area is SUPER quiet, it's like walking past a library, nice to have that option though we did not take it this time. Make sure you do not get a room in 1000, it's behind all the action, behind main stage and buffet.
we ate at the steak house one night and it sucked, Jade garden wouldn't let us in b/c the guys were wearing shorts. We loved the buffet so none of this bothered us.
The staff and animation crew are awesome-Coca cola is a little touchy, some guests liked this, I avoided him! Mayo, George, Teddy all awesome.
The food was fantastic, something for those who like to eat like burgers, hot dogs, pork, chicken, pasta, something for the healthy freaks like me...watercress, avocado, fresh fruits, veggies and of course rice and beans and anything else you can think of. You don't come to the DR for steak so if a review complains they didn't like their filet then they are just plain silly.
Jose was our waiter every night and we fell in love, WITH HIM! Tip these guys and they will give you the best, but most do it anyway. There's a little buffet in the beach bar in between meals. Plenty to drink, if you drink water like me re-fill your jug at the spa in the gym, sometimes the maids will give you a new one. i brought my water bottle to the pool to re-hydrate all day. They'd fill it with gin and juice too if you ask, it's all included and you may like that better than a plastic cup.
The liquor and wine is swill, I bought wine at the plaza, i found one there that was decent. if you like good quality here is where you won't get it. But most seemed perfectly happy to drink it, I am a snob of sorts, the good stuff doesn't give you a hangover.
The plaza is a 3 minute walk to the right out the hotel lobby, there you will find souveniers, do not buy any!!!Ask Pedro(there are several -try to find him) the horse and buggy to take you outside the community a 10 minute ride to the best ever flea market to buy everything dirt cheap. Barter everything on this trip from the fare to the things you buy, go down about 50 percent.
The guys on the beach give a great deal as well. barter your butt off but don't insult them this stuff is all hand carved. Best thing to do, look at an item, decide for yourself what your number is, then tell them what you will pay, that will work! unless it's ridiculous.
The plaza is where you book your tours for the BEST price with JAMES. Don't ask people where he is, they will say he isn't there. Just go in and find pizza hut, he is across the way. you'll pay half price for the same excursions, you don't haggle him. he's from Georgia.
Jeep safari with waterfall was an 8 hour day, ride into the country for a fun coffee making tour includes lunch, see the real native communities, then hike up a waterfall....not for those who are out of shape or afraid of water. anyone else should to it. The ATV tour was amazing, right across the resort is where you start so not a long day at all, get dirty and have fun!
I never met a time share person at the resort so I am not sure what all the talk about the yellow shirts is. Maybe b/c I already own a timeshare they did not single me out.
Don't go to the casino, it's like one room big, smokey and doubt you'll win anything.
Disco at the plaza just for resorts in area, dead but we danced anyway!
We went to the plaza everyday for things we needed it was that close.
Many Europeans don't tip, I think a dollar or two goes a long way so do the American thing and maybe your level of service will be better, if you get a smile and a polite interaction reward that with a tip it deserves.
I have never, ever returned to a country or resort twice, I fell in love with the DR art, the people and the natural beauty. This resort was easy to be yourself at, the staff were great. email me specifics I am sure I left out some. I researched this trip extensively here so I wanted to return the favor and report my findings.
Yes, pillows are lumpy and beds are firm, drink through it :) you're in paradise!
Get a balcony, it' is necessary, but don't upgrade, they'll do that for the asking once you get there if you don't like your room. If the alcohol was better quality I'd give this place 5 stars!

Room Tip: avoid 1000, if you don't drink and retire early stay in 8000, 0r 7000
9  Thank Trigirl72

Reviewed 20 March 2012

I will not return to this resort. The room was clean, but basic and dated is an understatement. Two double beds were pushed together to create a "queen" size bed. TV was basic cable but to those interested (We were not!) the Playboy channel came in clearly. No remote, had to use teamwork to get a desired show. The hotel itself is small and our hotel room abutted another room with a door dividing us. It was NOT SOUNDPROOF. I could hear the nightly show they offered (which we were not interested in and it played late) in addition to the room's occupants like they were hovering over us. In a fit of desperation I took apart the couch cushions and created a sound barrier with the extra pillows and quilts squeezed against the door which helped somewhat. The beds were not comfortable and the pillows were stuffed with lumpy stuffing. The shower was renovated, but the shower above us leaked whenever we took a shower.... it was disgusting. The food was $65 a day, and between my fiance and I we didn't even eat that over the course of two days. The liquor was "Blue Bay" brand and we didn't trust it. The only thing we drank were kid sized glasses of beer. We stayed two days and were stir crazy and ready to go home. Absolutely nothing to do. Not enough lounge chairs by the pool or on the beach. The "bay" was blue, but the beach was small and the sand muddy. I felt like we were at a lake back home. The only good thing about this place was that they had our reservation. That was it. And to top it off we had to pay a taxi to take us to the airport.

Room Tip: Go to another resort!
1  Thank Sophia Z
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Sophia,
I have reviewed your comments with the staff, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience. We appreciate your feedback, which helps us get better.
Thank you. Kind regards,
BlueBay Villas Doradas team

Reviewed 18 March 2012

BlueBay has a couple of upgrade packages and we purchased a Silver upgrade for a few perks such as Beach Towels in our room each day(never happened). 24 hr room service good luck, a nice 6 page booklet in the room with lots of meals and desserts and the 3 nights we called (I was feeding the night guard outside, great guy)it was, we don't have that and we don't have that either. A hot dog, fried chicken or hamburger was the option, same thing the beach grill had at night. Daily stocked mini bar, if you called 2 or 3 times it would get stocked eventually and yes we tipped well Everyday! The private personalized check in was not any different than our friends who never upgraded. Bascially other than the free wifi all the upgrade bracelet did was get us more attention from the timeshare guys(who in thier defence were nice and just doing a thankless job). Upon our early arrival at 1130am for some reason no rooms were available even though the resort wasn't full, however shortly after 3pm(our friends waited til after 5pm) we did get shown to our rooms.
The rooms are as many have said, basic but comfortable and clean with a nice bathroom, firm mattress and soft lumpy pillows.

The Staff and Food at the resort were both Great it was hard to go to the a la cartes when the buffett was alway so good!! The beach bar and grill was nice for lunch or afternoon snack and the chicken was excellent!!

The entertainment crew and bar staff worked hard to make each day fun with games and a good 'Resort show' each night. Have a few drinks and join in, you will have a blast!!! The adults only is very nice but overall during our stay the place was pretty quiet after 1130pm.

The beach is very nice, not white powdery sand but slightly coarser gold sand, Very nice for a long walk along the beach. Sometimes getting a chair in the shade was hard but the beach staff would usually help you find a chair. We walked to the left up the beach and found a couple of very nice little reefs and snorkled with lots of colorful fish. Take a bit of bread or some banana to feed the fish and you will quickly have lots of hungry friends!

We took the Mega Truck Tour (65$)and found it to be a great day out visiting a small plantation, a school, small cheese factory, including drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and a good lunch at a lodge in the woods beside a nice river.
If you go take along some candy for the kids along the way and a few school supplies which you can leave at your school tour. Great Guides lots of fun and well off the beaten path!!!
Also we took the 1/2 day city tour (30$)and the ride up the cable car was breathtaking!!!! Nice gardens and pathways on top of the mountain with a store and restaurant if you need anything up there.
If you need anything while at the resort walk out the front entrance turn right and walk 2 minutes to the plaza mall lots of neat stores and go to the back near the Pizza Hut and find JAMES if you want good deals on tours and he will give you lots of Great advise. Remember he sells the same tour as the hotel and the Travel Reps just at a much better price!!! Also there is a money exchange in the same area and the guys give a fair exchange. We found we could get better deals upstairs in the plaza mall especially if we used pesso's.
Also on the beach the vendors can be persistant but ask a price and then offer about 1/3 if you really want it the guys and girls work hard hauling stuff up and down the beach but the prices start out VERY high!!

Would we go back... Not Likely, we are not 5 star people by any means but it was the little things like having having no towels in our room after the maid cleaned til 5-6pm (keep a towel hidden so you will have one if you go back to your room and want to wash your hands)
Having to call for things like water for our fridge everytime you needed it. The limited bars open, which ran out of things like local rum and bananas for drinks.The often long waits to get a drink by the pool. The timeshare guys kind of guard the path to the beach and getting by them was a pain a few days.
I think if the management gave the hardworking staff what they needed this resort could be great instead of good!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 8000 block very quiet but close to the beach.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank MarkMac69
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I went to Puerto Plata completely blind to everything, I read a few reviews and chose to make my own opinion of the region and accommodation whilst I was there.

First off BlueBay was everything I and my partner desired, the room although basic was always clean, spacious and the air con never drew in any smells. We had a balcony in room 2307 which was facing the creek at the back, very quiet although I must point out the walls are very thin. In the bathroom especially you on occasion would hear more than would be desired and when people have televisions on at night you can hear them but it's comfy, everything is working. We left $2 per day for the maids and they were always leaving us swans made out of bath towels and water when we needed it.

The reception although helpful, I did find one of the girls quite difficult. I don't know whether it was down to communication but she was very abrupt and at one point slammed my change down on the counter, which I wasn't best pleased with. Everyone else though was attentive and done their best for you. Wifi is very expensive we paid $15 for the day, it's $9 for an hour and $60 for a week so make sure you budget for that! You can only access the wifi in the main stage area upto the reception area, they give you a username and password... all very easy to connect.

Food was very good, we had a try of all three a-la-carte meals (Fish, Oriental and Grill) and they were all nice although I spent most nights in the buffet instead. Variety is fantastic, pasta station, you can get an omelette in the morning or get him to fry an egg... some bread, they always try and forfill your needs. The waiting staff are excellent and run around getting you drinks and topping your water up, preparing your tables for you.... they make it feel very homely and private. Once the staff get to know you aswell, they ask how you are and generally bend over backwards for you.

The entertainment was good, we weren't ones for taking part and staying up late watching them but they do a range of things with people like aerobics in the pool, water volleyball and pineapple tossing which was all good fun to watch. People rave about CocaCola but they are all funny in there own ways.

Weather was fantastic and generally a shower would pass over within a few minutes but for the most part temperatures were above 28 degrees.

I went on a couple of excursions, the VIP Columbus which was good but the main attraction of paradise island isn't as long as you might have thought. You see the mangroves and stop and have lunch at a beautiful beach... snorking and swimming in the sea before going to paradise island (plus you have a two hour drive which is gruelling, especially on their roads!), we also went to ocean world which was fantastic and swam with the dolphins, watched the seals shows, dolphin shows, they have tigers and sharks. Don't however be fooled with this free tour, they take you to their complexes and get you to answer all these questions and want you to pay $5000 for a VIP membership and when you say no, your abandoned for twenty minutes before someone takes you back!

Puerto Plata itself is as you would expect, the roads are frightening and nearly seen several crashes, I had an ear infection and the BlueBay doctor arranged for me to go to the hospital and the people are all very attentive and welcoming. The complex itself is guarded but going out beyond that alone, I personally wouldn't have felt safe at all. You find as you go out to the countryside people wave and welcome you but you don't get the same vibe in the city.

Overall loved the hotel and would gladly go back if going to the Dominican. I went to a five star for the last day of my trip due to a delayed plane and I have to say, BlueBay beat that hands down in every area.

To sum up, small hotel but big qualities in all areas.

Room Tip: Pools have alot of fluoride in them and if you have dodgy ears like me, give dunking your head under...
11  Thank Christian B
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This hotel was lovely, it was extremely clean and the staff were lovely.
The rooms were basic but clean and the bathrooms were kept spotless by the maids who visted every day.
There was alot of choice on the food menu and the stsff in the restaurant were lovely and couldn't do enough to help including their famous floating coffees (do not go near these if you do not really drink alcohol as they will lead you to be drunk on one cup)
We had fresh fruit and wine delivered to our room for the last 4 days of our 14 day holiday which added a lovely touch to what had already been a fantastic holiday.The beach is also just over a bridge and is breathtaking at sunrise and sunset. We did overhear one person complaining the sand was yellow and apparantly they had been told it was white and were going to complain when they got home - really??????????

Minor Grumble
The gentlemen in yellow t-shirts who are looking to sell time share can sometimes get a little pushy but once you have told them no they do tend to leave you alone
We walked into the shopping centre and some of the men in the shops can be a little touchy-feely which I didn't appreciate so we were only there for 5 mins before I wanted to leave.

I would definitely go back!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank toptanner
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The hotel rooms were average, but the staff were wonderful, the food was good. Its a small resort but it's easy to meet other people there. If you take a horse and buggy ride ask for Tony and his horse poncho. very nice guy. If you want a manicure ( at the beach) ask for Ruth # 80 she does a excellent job! The only down side for me was that the ask you to become a member (Timeshares) I would not do it, It's not for everyone. It was also quite clean there. Also if you want to relax , the rooms in the 1000 , 2000 . are not the greatest place because the nightly entertanment (stage) is right there. you would be better of in the 5000 and up.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sylvia W
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This is my first time staying in the Dominican Republick in Puerto Plata, Playa Doradas.
I found the staff at the check-in desk to be very cold to the point of being rude. We had arrived a day later than we had initially planned due to a death in the family and the funeral was scheduled the day we were supposed to check into the hotel. I wasn't sure why were being questioned for arriving late since we had already paid for our vacation in full.

Other than the check-in desk the staff was amazing! Wait staff, bar staff and crew were incredibly friendly and had a great sense of humor.

Warning for all beach lovers, the beach is a public beach and merchants will pester you constantly to purchase something on the beach. I found that it ruined being on the beach. I found if I lifted my head to look at the ocean one of the merchants found that it was and invitation to come and sell us something. We had to wake up at 6:30 to reserve a palapa on the beach. If you wished to reserve a pool umbrella you need to be up earlier.

Please aslo beward that this is a timeshare resort and they will try to sell you a timeshare on the way to the beach. It is very difficult to ignore the timeshare as you have to walk across two bridges to get to the beach. In between the bridges is where the timeshare sales reps are.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room. It was nice and quiet at night. We faced the east and most of the noise f...
1  Thank LokiRaven