“BEST HOLIDAY EVER!!!!”

Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Welland, Canada
“BEST HOLIDAY EVER!!!!”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I would like to start off by telling everyone that this is the first resort that we have ever been allowed to back too twice. I said allowed because my wife never wants to go back to the same resort! I am going to comment on every area, dinning, entertainment, rooms, trips.

The dinning was excellent!! Always lots of variety at the buffett and the cooks were great!! We loved the ommletts made by my amigo domingo! The waiters and watresses were excellent, a few of them learn to know us and always seated us in their section. Rafaul and rinaldo were our night time server amazing rinaldos singing and rafaul was the best with his coffee extra special! In the morning my friend antonio took care off me always making me my 2 coffees to go before the buffett was even open! The al acartes were great as well, we had no problems and the staff there were excellent as well!
Being our second time at the bluebay we had a good relationship with the entertainers! 2 of them from last year were james bond 0071/2 lol! And Coca Cola Loca!! These guys were the best and remembered us!! It was amazing to habe great friends down there already! George, Mio and Commando were excellet also, teddy bear was not as exciting as we think he has been given a higher postion with more responsiblity!! Entertainment was great!! Fun games all day and great shows at night!!!
The bar staff were a lot of fun, we got to be great friends with the guys at the pool bar, Juan, Victor, and Rogue, these were the same guys as last year!! On my birthday they bought me a bottle of champaign to drink with all my friends!! It was awesome!! Love these guys!!
The rooms were big and always cleaned well!! Lots of towels and never an issue with our cleaning staff.
I would defenatly recommend the dun buggys and booking an excursion with my friend javier for scuba diving!! Both time I have dove with there group was excellent and was a great experiense!!
In conluding I would def recommend this resort to everyone!! It is amazing!! No kids and just a really fun resort!! The quiet poopl was super quiet and the layout of the resort is great!! Def say hi to all my friends if you decide to go!!
Bill

5 Thank Billm30

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (815)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham
Reviewed 3 April 2012

my boyfriend n i travelled march 7th to 21st and i am glad i have waited a couple of weeks to write this review. having time to reflect back on the overall experience i feel we had an amazing time in an okay hotel. there was nothing major that caused us a problem but lots of little things over our two week stay such as water not being replaced, no hairdryer in the room, lack of beach towels, roof leaks when it rains heavily, pool area not very clean, broken sunbeds n umbrellas, hit n miss service in the bar with them often not having drinks available whether it be rum, coffee or cola it seemed they were always out of something. the most dissapointing was the service in the restaurant and at reception which at times was infuriating as some and only some staff were rude n ignorant whereas other staff were so lovely. in the restaurant we ended up sticking to water as it seemed impossible for us to get any other drink, theyd ask what we wanted but it never materialised n when we tried to get it from the bar ourselves they told us they would bring it to us?!
along with the above and other little negatives there were also lots of positives; the beach, the weather, food great especially breakfast, try the banana bread! we visited all three a la carte n they were good especially the grill. the entertainment work very hard n put on some good stuff. we snorkelled which was also fun but go a bit further up the beach left of the hotel its like a different beach n water. we also had a couples massage which was lovely n relaxing.
we went on two trips megatrucks n paradise island n they were both fantastic n worth every penny!
overall if you go with average expectations u shouldnt be too dissapointed but im sure you will notice the little annoying things that do build up. we tipped throughout our stay but this didnt seem to make a difference the lovely staff will always b lovely n the rude staff dont seem to care how they are. if youre booked to go just enjoy it but dont expect to be spoilt. im sure the sunshine will make up for it as it did for us!!

4 Thank Carly B
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I just got back from Blue Bay Villas Doradas and I overall had a great trip for the price. (I booked on Orbitz and was paying around $100 a night.) The hotel is not luxurious, but was very safe, clean, and I found the service to be great. There was a short 15-mintes ride from the airport. I was able to check-in four hours early. Exchange rates at the hotel were better than the airport. Also, they accept US dollars most places, so unless you plan to go off the beaten path, you won't need many pesos. The food is not great, but that's across the board at all-inclusive resorts. It was edible and the staff was friendly.
I was traveling alone and felt safe at all times. The vendors on the beach are quickly dismissed with a "No gracias." I loved that the non-motorized water activities were free. I kayaked in the ocean every day. Next time I'll attempt windsurfing.
Be prepared for a sales pitch for their Vacation Club - do research ahead of time. I joined and they upgraded my room for the rest of my stay and threw in many more perks.
As for the rooms, the standard rooms are very basic. Bed, closet, bathroom, and no charm. The suites and villas are of much better quality. Make sure to ask for non-smoking if that's important to you. Also, the nightly entertainment is very loud, so ask for a room far from the theater if you want quiet.
The clientele was a mix of Europeans (many German, British, and French), Latinos, Canadians and Americans. Couples of all ages. I was the only solo vacationer that I saw, but always felt comfortable. The guests were all respectful to each other - no crazy drunkeness or drama.
I plan to return to the resort within the year and next time I'll try out some of the excursions and activities. Looking forward to it!

Room Tip: Building 8 is quiet - give that a try if you want to be far from the nightly entertainment.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
8 Thank mw35nyc
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just got back from BlueBay after visiting with one of my best girlfriends from March 18-25th 2012.

I read a lot of reviews on here and they were very accurate. The resort is incredibly quiet, no nightlife, we weren't expecting a lot more but there wasn't anything to do on site after 10pm, although travelling March break we greatly preferred this to loud children.

We had a HUGE issue with the male staff, particuarly the security guards. As 2 women travelling alone we were continuously harassed by the security guards comments and lewdness when we walked by. The buffet staff and bartenders were fine, we found we were mostly uncomfortable when just walking around during the day from the security guards. We are not unattractive women, but did not parade around and the male staff continuously made comments as we would walk around. This didn't happen at all whatsoever if we were with a man. We understood we stand out as 2 single women, and most people at the resort were 50+ but this behaviour was inappropriate from the staff, especially when I spoke with other women my age on excursions at different resorts who had no issues!

Excursions were great, I did the monkey jungle zip line and waterfall tour. I did book through the hotel even though it was more expensive as my friend wasn't coming. (We were severely harassed at the mall where others had booked excursions). Both of these were great trips but DO NOT do the waterfall excursion unless you are in good shape. It was super fun, but none of it would pass Canadian safety standards! And do bring your own watershoes, I was planning on renting them there, but upon arrival realized they were canvas running shoes you can buy for $5 at Walmart, no traction, not great for rocky paths!

My friend and I both visited the Jasmine Spa in the mountains, we had an amazing day there. An expensive excursion at $135, but well worth every penny! The owner Anis made us feel at home

Overall we liked the resort, we knew it would be quiet and it was. No issues with food, I'm a vegetarian and always had decent selection. We both wouldn't return as the male staff were unsettling, but for a couple who wants a quiet vacation with good excursion selection, it's a pretty safe bet.,

2 Thank anthrolady80
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Travelled March 10-25The best part of this resort are the friendly people. There were six of us and we found all staff to be very friendly and helpful. We never had trouble with towels, beer in the fridge or help with anything we needed. Everyone was very helpful and went out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. It ws nice to get greeted at any time of the day by a smiling face. Food was excellent, good variety and fresh. After a few days the server and cooks knew exactly how we wanted things. There are too many people to mention who made our stay enjoyable. From reviews I read about service, I can honestly say we had absolutely no problems. Cheapy Willie was a hoot on the beach selling his wares. You knew you were safe because the security guards were there rain or shine. We made a habit of tipping anyone who helped us and maybe that is why the service. When we left after two weeks we got numerous hugs from the staff throughout the resort. My philosophy is to treat people with respect and you will get it in return and we sure did. We have travelled to many resorts and I have to say the staff here were the best at trying to make your vacation pleasant. The hotel could use new beds and lounge chairs by the pools. These were not in good shape. I have one real complaint which has nothing to do with the hotel. I read other comments about not buying tours from the people on the beach and they were right. Anyone going, do not buy from Nelson on the Beach. He is a crook and smooth talker and more expensive than the hotel. We had purchased two tours from him and they were both a disaster. This was the only negative on our trip and we should have listened to others. I am sure others will purchase through him and experience the same crap. I am usually a very mild person, but this person made me very angry. All the rest of the tours that we purchased through the hotel or from our rep were great. The waterfalls, Bravissimo, Puerto Plata tour and Paradise Island were excellent. We also did a trip to Santiago which was excellent for shopping. All in all a great trip except for Nelson on the Beach. Do not buy anything from this crook. You can certainly contact me if you want more info.

Room Tip: The junior suites have the best beds and are quite quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank metroh
Montréal
Reviewed 25 March 2012

If you travelled a lot, don't go to the Blue Bay. I've been to the country five other time and this one was the worst resort. It is really noisy and the service is really bad. It is not calm vacation at the Blue Bay. The food is okay but don't think you're gonna ear schrimps or other seafood. I will not recommand it to the people I know.

3 Thank Copycatt
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Just returned from the Blue Bay after a 3 week stay. Our trip was originally booked for 2 weeks and we just didn't want to leave, so we added another week!
As my heading states, this is my 3rd stay at the Blue Bay Doradas. This resort has become a favourite of mine simply because of the intimate size of this resort, the cleanliness and certainly the amazing staff. The buffet and a la cartes are superior in my opinion, being able to make a comparison after visiting close to 40 different resorts in the Caribbean and Mexico.
The standard rooms are just that-standard, but extremely clean. My advice would be to upgrade to a suite or a villa if available. However, if you are one of those people that just wants a decent room to sleep and shower then go with the standard. Many times you will get an upgrade at no charge is there is availability.
The maid service is very good but nothing is perfect! If you need something, just call!!
We also need to remember that being rude to reception, bartenders, etc. is not acceptable at home so please do not think it is acceptable when you are away. I witnessed much too much of this in my travels.
The animation team does an amazing job and work very hard to entertain. Thanks to CocaCola, Mayo, Commando, George and Teddy for ALWAYS making us laugh. They feel like family now.
My previous reviews have already touched on the beauty of the grounds and what a great spot this resort is on the beach. There is always a breeze (sometimes too much on the beach) and there was no issues with lounge chairs.
In closing, there will always be small gliches travelling ANYWHERE, so take it in stride and enjoy your vacation!!

Room Tip: Buildings 1, 2 and 3 are close to the stage so if you want quiet, try building 6, 7 or 8.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends