“will not be returning”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Just arrived back. this was our 3rd visit to don rep, our 1st to this area and hotel. sad to say our last too. no wow factor on arrival. really hate these plastic wrist bands, i call them tags. its a adults only hotel treat us like one. people who choose to come back get different colour ones, how exciting!!. our room;- small and basic, not much room to put things. veiw from the balcony was trees, but could be worse. Buffet resturant, tables not set up properly, may have 1 glass for e.g. cups no spn. cuttlery much the same. waiters would make up from taking items off other tables even when people were sat on them. i often helped myself to water. At breakfast, staff would sneek food then eat it behind the dumbwaiters. food of poor standard. birds would fly in peck the bread, cakes, fruit, chips etc. land on any food containers. take sugar sashets. we watched snack bar chef cook stake then take it into the kitchen for staff to eat not putting this out for paying guests. also the snack bar, every day was cold breaded chicken wings, dried up burgers cold as the grill was off. cold chips, soggy pizza well i think thats what it was. no napkins/ plates some days. i asked for some but never came. to busy talking, or on their phones. when cutlery was dropped on the floor it was put sraight back in the clean containers.
guests were in the pool swim up bar all day fair enough, but not seen going out to use the bathroom !!!!.
We had D. most mornings. not good when there is only one toilet in the room.
Pool toilet, one out of two one never flushed.
Round the pool and going to the resturant or even the beach every day we were hasseled by people wanting us to by shares in the hotel. they can't take no for an answer.
Staff were realy keen to tell you when thier days off were so as not to miss you before you left and to tell you about how may children they had and couldn't buy them food and clothes etc. even asked you for your shoes. How to make you feel guilty on your well earn't holiday.
Entertainment, went once but didn't stay all night what a joke.
In the evening there was no where to sit for a drink, always drinks served out of plastic cups, we took wine glasses out of the resturant at night, not even had clear cocktail plastic ones which would be better.
Beach, as soon as you entered you were constantly harrassed by sellers, tack tack and more tack, sunglasses, shirts, wooden carvings, maracas, drums, stuffed monkeys, wind chimes, fresh coconut/rum, hair brading, pedicure/manicure, massage the list is endless. Then the excusion guys come round. all wish to tell you how poor they are, there familys and no clothes and food. ask you to get them beers etc. more Guilt.
I love to snorkel but the see was too cloudy this made it impossible to see anything.
we also love to walk the bueatiful beaches, this we did every day, early in the morning, well all through the day, but sadly this stopped when on sunday 22nd. My husband retuened from his walk in a state of shock after having a gun pointed to his head demanding dollers, he didn'd have any, the young man pointed to his wedding and onyx ring and demanded them this he did. he then ran to the bushes with them leaving my husband on his knees helpless. he staggared back to the beach to me, the security and police were called. Forms filled in. Thank the Lord i still have a husband and our children have a father.
For the rest of the holiday we watched people walk the same route even jog to the place. no-one had stopped them not even the beach security guys.
A few days later we found out that Thomas Cook have pulled out of the Hotel. Best news ever.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chicken526
Write a ReviewReviews (5,808)

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Myself and my wife have been to Dominica on 4 different holidays and have stayed at blue bay once, we have stayed at other hotels within the hotel complex and nothing compares to blue bay so much that we have booked to go again this year, the hotel staff and food and entertainment are second to none if you want to remember a holiday this is a must, this hotel is adult only for all those that don't want kids running around screaming all day long, the staff make you fee
Very special and I would recommend the outback safari and the trip to the ocean park it is a must, looking forward to going back and having a relaxed fun and great holiday

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tornado64
Reviewed 29 July 2012

Arrived back today from this place, and can honestly say that this was the best holiday i have ever been on ! The hotel is only 20 minutes away from the airport so there's no long transfer. On arrival we upgraded to a poolside balcony room, which was well worth the money. We stayed in room 6212 which was just across from the entertainment area - if you'd prefer somewhere a bit quiter ask to have a room closer to the beach. We like to be in the center of things so the room was perfect for us. No problems with the room at all, plenty of storeage space, very clean, fresh towels brought in everyday. Fridge filled up daily with fresh water. Some people have complained about the beds, we found them to be nice and comfy, always had a good nights sleep. The maid came everyday, and the room was always spotless.

Food - I am the worlds fussiest eater and thought I'd struggle this holiday, but I needn't have worried. There really is something for everyone. Breakfast is 7-10ish there's cereals, pastries, fried potatoes, hams, cheeses, tomatoes, bacon,scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, French toast, omelettes, sausages, loads of fruits, and lots of juices. Lunch was 12-30 - 3 and would be rices, chicken, burgers, hotdogs, chips, potatoes, meats, fruitsbetc. Dinner is from 6-10 and would vary, there would be theme nights, such as Mexican, Italian etc. If none of that suited you there's the 3 A'la cartes as well. We only went to the oriental one and found the food there to be really good. Was nice to have change from the buffet. If you still can't find anything you like there's the 24 hour beach bar where u can get burgers, chips etc

Hotel staff - they really made the holiday for us, they are on the go 24-7. No matter what time of day it is,they will always have a smile on there face. We'd only been there 3 days and they all knew our names :) The service from the bar and restaurant staff was second to none. They work so hard to make the holiday enjoyable for you. Our drinks were always topped up, and in the Evenings, we didn't even have to go to the bar to get our drinks as they were always brought over to us. The hotel grounds are so well kept, and you will always see staff working on the gardens, cleaning Etc

Animation team - The best bunch of people ever ! Mayo, James Bond, Teddy, Commander, Coca Cola, Aris, George This bunch are always on the go ! Everything from crazy games, volleyball, water aerobics, sushi lessons ! They make it so much fun, and really get you involved in things. We did think that this being an adults only resort, the entertainment might be a bit 'stuffy' but every night it was brilliant. We had Taino dancing shows, fire breathing, water ballet, Mr and Mrs Bluebay, lovers night, Latin shows.Entertainment ends around 11 of an Evening, but you do then have an option of going to pure the night club, and the casino - we went and had a fab time, free taxi there and back, and a few of the staff members go with you, to make sure you're all ok. If you're not interested in the club and casino you can always head down to the beach bar. Would like to say a massive thank you to the above people for making the holiday so brilliant. It wouldn't have been the same without them

Pools - you have 3 to choose from' we never used the relaxation pool as it was a bit too quite for our liking, but,if you like peace and quiet that's the place to be. Some people have said about the pool bar being dirty, you do sometimes get a few straws and the odd cup in there at the end of the day, but again that's people not tidying up after themselves. Every morning we saw the pools being cleaned, and there was generally someone going around cleaning them thougout the day. The second pool next to the pool bar is generally much quieter and it's a little deeper for swimming.

Whilst there we had a massage at the spa which was so nice and relaxing and well worth the money. I've seen some people saying that some of the staff were rude, which was not the case with us. They couldn't have been more polite or helpful.

All in all we had a fantastic holiday, we could have payed double what we did and would still be extremely happy with what we got for the price. The hotel is beautifully kept, the food is brilliant, the staff are polite and friendly, the weather was hot and sunny, the animation team are some of the best people you will meet, we made some brilliant friends and are already looking to book for next year. :)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
11  Thank Abi2011
Reviewed 26 July 2012

arrival : after a long 9 hour flight from uk to Dominican we wear welcomed at blue bay with a lovely refreshing cocktail and cold flannels and asked to take a seat before a quick check in and bell boy took our bags to our room .

room : we had payed for a room upgrade and a 1st floor room . on arrival i was happy that my requested had been met and my room ( 5208) was very spacious and clean . 4 cupboards plenty of hanging space and shelf's. 2 bed side tables , our bed wasn't the best but no bed is as good as your own but it wasn't uncomfortable. pillows did the job and i cant complain about the maid, she was amazing come to our room at least twice a day and sometimes a 3rd in the evening around 730 , the room was always spotless and clean towels made in to different shapes /animals.

food: after two weeks breakfast got a little repetitive but there was plenty to choose from , toast cereal, fruit ,cakes, fried breakfast , ham ,hash browns . there something for everyone .
lunch : i a fussy eatter and cant eat to much wheat and i found something to eat nearly every lunch time . rice with fried chicken . chips and pork , pasta and roasted veg , there is a is always a healthy corner for fitness freaks and vegetarians.
tea/dinner . the main dinner was different every day in the first 10 days ranging from cold meats to roast veg , pig roast , turkey , pasta ,and some local dishes . the diner waiting staff are always more than willing and keen to get you your drinks and and help needed .
and if thats not enough there's 3 beautiful alercart hall , stake ,fish and chinese , a beach bar that does snacks a drinks 24/7 .

pools: yeah i agree the some people the swim up pool isnt the cleanest of the pools but what do u expected when you in water drinking , you will find cups and straws around the swim up bar the pool will only stay as clean as you keep it . all 3 pools wear cleaned every morning as im a early bird i often sat down before breakfast and watched the staff :)
pool 2 the volly ball pool. a full fun easy going pool to sit around . a small group of us took over that pool most evenings with our beach ball rubber rings and ball games very fun ,clean and friendly .
pool 3 the quiet pool. i didnt vist this pool on my stay as im not a quiet person but my room was very near by an always looked clean and tidy . only thing is that pool only does soft drinks .

the crew !!! well were do i start ..... mayo , George , james bond , commando ,teddy a grate team , very hard working and will always have a smile on there faces no matter what time of the day there around bright and early and around till late at night working hard day games and evening entertainment , i couldnt rate these staff any more there a brilliant team and we made some good friends this holiday with the staff .
the crew attened the pure night club most evenings and will invite you along with them a kevin in the free taxi there and back and will stay with you to make sure your safe and you enjoy your time. i have to say a massive thank you to the crew for making our holiday .

over all me n my partner rate this holiday and hotel a 4 * witch it is . all i can say is don't come to this hotel if your boring and have no personality . this is not for you !!!!

i had a really enjoyable 2 weeks and are planning to return in the near future .
please ignore all the stuck up moaning people on this page as its not a bad hotel and all the staff work hard .

Room Tip: 5028 was a lovley room located at the front right had side of the entrant and very near the quiet ar...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bonnie_spud
Reviewed 26 July 2012

the food was not good at all and as for snack food was reheated and looked like left overs from nite before plus the birds flying in and landing on bread eating it going to toilet on it not very clean at all .has for beach bar the staff very helpfull and well mannerd but has for pool bar the staff were rude and made you stand and wait and if u tiped u got served faster. the hotel staff in general were ok. but the cleaners done great job always spoke to u and done great jobs cleaning the room 10 outa 10 for them. and finaly the nite club call pure which is outside the resort run by ibero star at costa dorada watch yourself with the barstaff i went to toilet came back and they hand me a bill for 1000 dominican money for drinks i never ordered or got and was made to pay on my debt card wen i was took to cascno by 2 door staff so my advice stay well away from PURE NITE CLUB .

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank lee s
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I AM WRITING THIS TO HELP THOSE WHO HAVE BOOKED AND CONSIDER BOOKING THIS HOLIDAY. TAKE YOUR BROCHURE WITH YOU IF YOU HAVE BOOKED THIS HOTEL IT IS WORTH THE MONEY IN LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE TO TAKE WITH YOU BELIEVE ME!!!

I have never had a honeymoon and I got married just before going to the Dominican on 26/7/2012 and i still have not had a honeymoon. Well where do I start? How about day one of my holiday! Bought a package holiday to the Blue Bay Villas Hotel in the Dominican Republic, which was the only 24 hour all inclusive on the puerto plata side. Packed our bags which we paid for extra luggage each to 28kgs, we were ready for the beautiful white sands and palm trees of the Dominican Republic. Caught plane to Dominican Republic. Arrived Dominican Republic I had ordered a private car transfer so went looking for driver who was meeting us with card with our name on it, as told by holiday company staff. After 20 minutes of looking for the driver we approached the REP outside the airport. The REP said we had not booked a Car, after looking at our travel papers she apologised and said "the driver with her was booked for someone else, but he would take us instead". The driver directed us to a van which we had to push to get started, seriously! Once in the van the driver told us not to open windows as they would fall out and there was no air conditioning in the van either. Arrived at Blue Bay Villas Hotel feeling hot, tired and dirty after 10 hour flight, so just wanted to get to the room. Once in room my partner cleaned the bathroom as there was foot prints on floor where we were walking. Bathroom was filthy she even had to do the floor, there was no storage space to put clothes and only 14 hangers for both of us to hang our clothes for a 3 week stay, what a joke!!. Could not be bothered to get someone to clean as we were tired from the trip, slept on top of bed as air conditioning was not working in room 8208.

Following morning thought things would be much better having had a sleep, air con still did not work so went to reception and reported it, guy came and fixed it, but only had minimal air coming through and then by the evening stopped working again, so spent another night on top of the bed. Reported it again the following day. That night we went for a meal in the ala carte fish restaurant called Pescador my partner was served fish with the waste sack still inside, managed to stop her before she ate too much. Unfortunately she still had food poisoning. Lucky we had stuff with us for D&V. We went to the Beach bar that same night, which is supposed to be open 24 hour as per brochure and was advised by the staff at 12.30am that it was shut, as it was out of season, again this was not specified in the brochure, so as far as we knew it was 24 hour all inclusive. Bar person also told us if we wanted a drink to go to Hemiways a bar in the Plaza which has nothing to do with the hotel. Decided to drink the beer in our welcome pack and the soft drinks as we had vodka with us, and as per the brochure we requested our fridge be replenished the following day and was asked for $10 (US dollars) for 2 soft drinks and 2 small bottles of beer, We advised the delivery person that the hotel was 24 hour all inclusive which meant alcohol too and they said that refilling the fridge was not part of the 24 hour all inclusive, all inclusive my foot. Once again brochure did not mention that we would have to pay for the fridge to be replenished.

For 4 days my partner complained at me for moving her belongings as things were not where she left them. The room still had not been cleaned and I finally got the airconditioning working, we were finally able to spend our first night under the covers of our 2 double beds, so we thought. When I opened the bedding to get in I was mortified to see pubic hair and stained sheets, which must have been from previous occupier, as I had not even got into the bed as it was too hot. I then discovered that we were in the wrong room from what we had ordered as I had ordered a superior room with a seating area inside and outside and we had a double standard plus and no seating area except outside.

By day 5 I had enough and decided to put my complaints to the REP as we had noticed the following items had been stolen (hence the reason my partner thought things had been moved) , DIABETIC SWEETS, 180 CIGARETTES, LARGE BOTTLE OF PERFUME, 2 DEODORANTS AND 2 BUG SPRAY were what we had noticed at the time had been stolen from the hotel room (8208). We did not know the extent of what had been taken at that time as the majority of our belongings were still in the suitcase so we were only changing day to day from the suitcases. I can understand putting valuables in the safe but never thought of clothing as valuable items, plus the safe was not big enough to hold everything. After speaking to the REP we were moved to room 032, a bit nicer but still very basic. When we looked at the rooom it was the room we had originally ordered. We also found a leaflet printed by the hotel that showed the room 032 as a superior room, which I had requested and paid for and a similar room is advertised in the brochure as a superior room. We settled in, and actually had more cupboard space and hanging space to put clothes away in. So we were able to empty our suitcases. Over day 6 ,7, 8, we noticed that other items had gone missing; most importantly was the medication that I take for my bipolar condition and sleeping tablets. We went and reported these items immediately after discovering they had gone. We went to the hotel guest services and advised him of our findings, he advised that they would need to investigate the incident. After 3 days of waiting we approached guest services again and this time it was the woman from guest services after explaining again about the medication and all the items that had been stolen from our room; she informed us "just because no one saw them being taken does not mean that they have been taken" this is when I said I want the police. Guest Services contacted the REP and we met her that day at 3pm. We were advised that although the bag of medication had been seen we could not prove that the medication had been taken. I was offered to see a psychiatrist, as they were the only doctor that could prescribe the medication I am on. You can imagine my reaction to this especially as I was expected to pay for it!! I suffered until the end of the holiday without my medication.

At the same time we started to hear from other guest's that some of the guest's who where going home the day before had food poisoning, and some still flew home. However, 1 women had been taken to hospital as she collapsed getting on the plane, as she was too ill to travel. 4 guests who were also to go home the day before had remained in their rooms at the hotel because they were too ill to travel and were being charged for staying there till the following Thursday as no flight could be found till then. For days after the hotel was still having guests going down with food poisoning as a group of 4 young Irish boys and 2 young Irish girls had also gone down with food poisoning. Nearly everyone we spoke had had a bout of D&V whilst staying there. We did not suffer a further bout of D&V as we ate outside of the hotel for the last 16 days of our holiday. We only had breakfast at the hotel which was cereal as it was in a covered container and without fail there was blackbirds all over the uncovered food daily, especially the bread and fruit. Staff did not even bother to shoo them away or attempt to cover the food. The only time we noticed any reaction from staff was when Dominican guest's were staying at the hotel for the weekend. All the best food, crockery, cutlery and furniture was then brought out and as soon as they went things went back to normal. Everything was watered down again.

Warning beach vendors work out the currency ASAP as they will rip you off. You think you are paying pennies for things and you are actually paying pounds. A good measure I worked to was $500 dominican dollars is about £10.00 British depending on the currency rate. Also work out US dollars too as they charge for stuff in this currency as well and if you asked to go to see another hotel tell them no as they will take you to the Orange Flea Market VERY DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE. Every shop expected you to buy something and there is over 30 shops. If you are really good at bartering then go for it.

If you want to have a decent drink that is not watered down then go elsewhere. Time share people well need I say more other than tell them a firm no or you will be hounded.

Needless to say I have put in a complaint about the holiday and our treatment and hope that this will improve things for people when or if they go to this hotel in the future. The only redeeming feature is the wonderful people we met such as Americans Joe and Marybell, English Caroline and Vicky as well as American Linda and Lynne. I also would like to say that our Rep Sylvia did her best under difficult circumstances.

Room Tip: Dont go there go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dawn W
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I have stayed in this resort on multiple occasions. We particularly like the service in this resort. The food was also very good. And it's not very expensive. We enjoy being in the pool by the spa. It's very relaxing.

Room Tip: The rooms near the spa are quieter. The rooms near the lobby have access to the free wi-fi.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple