We stayed in May 2012 (not 2013 as it won't let me select it!) and the place was excellent. The check in was a bit of a nightmare as there were about 50 people arriving on the same day, so it was more like a school registration than anything else. That said though, it was probably more painful because of the journey than the process which was relatively quick.
The room was probably the only thing about the resort that wasn't brilliant. It was comfortable, but pretty basic and our key card lock was a nightmare. The toilet seat was broken when we arrived, but a guy came to fix it pretty sharp when we reported it.
Sleep quality was good, but no balcony etc, took a bit of the shine off it.
The hotel itself was really well kept, lovely gardens, nice pools (only about 4ft deep) and the entertainment crew were very amusing.
The a la carte restaurants were quite decent, but the plumbing seemed be a bit dodgy in the Chinese one (dodgy smell the first time!). The main buffet restaurant was cool, lots of choice and all tasty so unless you're a fussy eater it fills you up!
All the staff were pretty cool, bar staff, reception, crew, all nice folks. Tip for the bar - get drinks with Brugal, it's the only proper spirit there so who knows if the others are watered down etc, I never seemed to be too tipsy until I made it the cornerstone of my day!
The beach is public, so you have to deal with the vendors. Not all bad though as some of the guys there and at the plaza just up the road undercut the reps on excursions. Up to you what you do though, we booked with the reps just in case you get ripped off. For $20 dollars here and there it isn't worth it to me.
All in all a really nice place. Lots of American/Canadian tourists who can get quite rowdy in a group, but all a good natured bunch so it was fun.
Not a peace and quiet kind of place, but still good fun!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BlueBay Villas Doradas is an Adults Only 24 hour All Inclusive resort in Puerto Plata, was completely refurbished in 2006 providing facilities and rooms of the highest quality. This hotel in Puerto Plata, which is only for the over 18s, is an ideal place for couples to relax or enjoy their honeymoon or wedding. Its location - literally next to the 18-hole Playa Dorada golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones – makes it a favourite among golfers.The hotel’s rooms and suites are equipped to the highest standard, in keeping with the quality of the resort and its recent refurbishment – all include cable TV, mini bars and ironing facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bluebay Villas Doradas Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Puerto Plata
- Bluebay Hotel Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas
- Blue Bay Getaway Dominican Republic
- BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only Dominican Republic/Puerto Plata