“Top place to stay”

Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
London
“Top place to stay”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed in May 2012 (not 2013 as it won't let me select it!) and the place was excellent. The check in was a bit of a nightmare as there were about 50 people arriving on the same day, so it was more like a school registration than anything else. That said though, it was probably more painful because of the journey than the process which was relatively quick.

The room was probably the only thing about the resort that wasn't brilliant. It was comfortable, but pretty basic and our key card lock was a nightmare. The toilet seat was broken when we arrived, but a guy came to fix it pretty sharp when we reported it.

Sleep quality was good, but no balcony etc, took a bit of the shine off it.

The hotel itself was really well kept, lovely gardens, nice pools (only about 4ft deep) and the entertainment crew were very amusing.

The a la carte restaurants were quite decent, but the plumbing seemed be a bit dodgy in the Chinese one (dodgy smell the first time!). The main buffet restaurant was cool, lots of choice and all tasty so unless you're a fussy eater it fills you up!

All the staff were pretty cool, bar staff, reception, crew, all nice folks. Tip for the bar - get drinks with Brugal, it's the only proper spirit there so who knows if the others are watered down etc, I never seemed to be too tipsy until I made it the cornerstone of my day!

The beach is public, so you have to deal with the vendors. Not all bad though as some of the guys there and at the plaza just up the road undercut the reps on excursions. Up to you what you do though, we booked with the reps just in case you get ripped off. For $20 dollars here and there it isn't worth it to me.

All in all a really nice place. Lots of American/Canadian tourists who can get quite rowdy in a group, but all a good natured bunch so it was fun.

Not a peace and quiet kind of place, but still good fun!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank monkeywannabanana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (816)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ontario
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We Traveled from Toronto in a group of 6 though west jet!
The hotel is smaller and it is a bit out dated, some updates are needed. However his goes unnoticed because of the amazing and friendly staff! All of the entrainment staff work so hard and provide you with lots of options, the bartenders, maids...everyone went out of their way to be friendly! CHEEPIE WILLIE PROMOTION! The venders on the beach drove me a bit NUTS but once you tell them 2-4 times NO THANK YOU they leave you alone!!

Food- Buffet was GREAT, lots to choose from and very yummy. I did not enjoy the a la cart, too much salt and just not that great!

Beach-clean, no seaweed!

Rooms- Old, but clean-I don't take vacation to spend lotsn of time in my room. There is a bed, a bathroom and its clean.

We did the bike tour at 10am with the staff and we found this little bar inside the complex-its called KING OF BEER! Such friendly people and nice to have a normal beer!

3 Thank stephanieOntario
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel on Oct 21st to the 23rd and first of all we did a check inn directly with the hotel. First of all we asked them too see if we can use the Wi-fi there just for a second since i had my laptop with me to book it online and maybe save $50.00 they where rude and try to charge me $25.00 DOLLARS just for 12 hours to use it ( i was thinking to my self is my computer going to receive gold threw the modem WTF? ) i said ok for get the wi-fi ill pay the extra fee with them and get it over with. ( Make sure if you stay there to mention to them you want also the front bar since its the only bar that carriers international drinks such as Johnny walker + absolute vodka + more recognized drinks instead of the regular ones that they have in dominican republic )

I thought we would be enjoying with other couples like our self's but the funny part you see lot's of old guys with 14-17 year old girls from that area. People having sex in the pool without caring that other people use the dam pool - a wasn't going to enjoy that since you can imagine how disgusting that can be with all that in the water )

The Food was horrible, i even brought it up to the managers attention to taste the meat it tasted like medicine. they didn't have a lot of variety of choices so you have to eat what you can.

After all we tried having a good time and on the the evening of the 22nd to top it off my wife comes in to the room late evening to find a Roach the size of my fist. And guess who has to kill the dam Roach after having Dinner MEEEEE! I know this ain't a 5 star hotel but it's a shame to go threw these experiences on the only week you can take off from the hole year of hard working.

Funny thing is that the personal on the front desk as soon as you check in they try to sell you a share or a membership with them. On the 23rd the same lady comes again to try to sell us the Dam share i let my wife do the talking since i knew she was pissed off and it was her choice to select them. She told her she will never use them again and the incident with the roach and 1/2 hour pass and you see the employees with their tanks doing pest control. ( as a business man Why wait until a client to bring up something so delicate like that for you to do it ? ) Hotel needs different management. Better Food and more care of the rooms.

I will never go back or would recommend. And to be honest i love going to Dominican Republic and our next trip will be to the Hard Rock Hotel in DR. I will only choose a 5 star hotel from now on. Simple as that!

1 Thank manny e
Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Blue Bay from Oct 15-22. Listed below are the things we enjoyed and the things that could stand some improvement.

Pros:
-The resort is stunning and very nicely decorated. I really liked the interior design throughout the resort. The rooms were also very nicely decorated, clean, and well taken care of.
-2 large pools and a smaller one by the were well maintained. They had beach volleyball in the one pool and a great swim up bar!
-Amazing service! Everyone from the front desk reception staff, to the wait staff, to the bar staff were very friendly. They worked very hard for their guests and were always smiling!
-The shows were quite good for the resort. They could use a couple more interactive shows I think.
-Although there is no disco on the resort they have regular beach discos and drive you to the disco down the street, which has no cover charge.
-There were always chairs on the beach and these nice beach beds all throughout the resort. I enjoyed the beach but the water was not as clear as I expected it to be (e.g., Cuba). It may have been the time of the year.
-Buffet food was amazing! I was very impressed! There was a great variety and everything tasted great.

Cons:
-Pesky beach vendors. You are constantly bombarded and even when you say no many of the vendors will continue to try and bother you to "just take a look." I understand they are trying to make a living and you can get some good deals on the beach if you haggle (we bought all our day trips on the beach and got an amazing deal), but when you just want to relax it is frustrating. I don't know if the resort encourages this or has any say in this, but it is an issue we heard many people complain about.
-The time share people were absolutely ridiculous! I can't believe the resort actually has these people on the property. After being asked by someone by the pool to listen to a presentation for half an hour for days on end we agreed as he told us he makes commission for bringing people in the door. We spent the next hour listening to one of these people tell us all about the perks, but nothing about the price even with repeated questions. After finally getting to the part where they provided us with a number they likely pulled out of thin air (everyone got different amounts/years etc) we experienced extreme pressure to sign right on the spot. Both of my boyfriend wanted to think about it and did not appreciate the high pressure sales tactics. They also refused to show us a contract until we signed a members agreement. After getting frustrated and patronized (e.g., listen here sweetheart) by the guy who came over to tell us the price I stormed out. This was absolutely ridiculous and sounded like a complete SCAM if you can't even walk away and think about it for a few hours. Do not waste any time with these people.
-The Seafood a la carte was horrible. The Asian and Steakhouse one were much better, but I preferred the buffet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Skye262013
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

If you're expecting absolute perfection in your hotel, then move along, keep looking and expect to add a zero or two on the end of the price!
However ... if you're after a pleasant hotel with friendly helpful staff who cant do enough to help (well with the exception of Reception) a nice beach, reasonable food and the added bonus of not having screaming brats running around ruining your relaxation, you've found the right place!
My wife and I are just back from a lovely week at the hotel, after a nine and a half hour flight and having read some of the negative reviews on here wasn't quite sure what to expect. The room was as described, rather minimalist but functional, and being opposite the Spa and quiet pool not as prone to noise as the rooms over by the pool would have been. Anyway we were here on Holiday and didn't intend to spend it all in the room, so after our suitcases had been brought over from reception and we'd freshened up it was time to explore.
Rather than one large building the hotel consisted of open plan areas with individual maisonettes linked by pleasant, well maintained green areas, the beach a mere 5 mins walk across a bridge away with its collection of 'mushroom' parasols, loungers, 4 poster beds (yes on the beach as well as near the pools) and of course the beach bar, this is open 24 hours which proved to be very useful when, still mentally on UK Time I was wide awake at 5am for the first couple of days so went to the beach to watch the sunrise (clouds permitting) sunset watching is a lot more difficult as the Mountain Isabel de Torres blocks the view somewhat!
Yes, during the day there are traders on the beach trying to make a living, but a polite but firm No thankyou usually persuades them to move on, should you really feel the need for souvenir Maracas, Cigars etc either be prepared to haggle, use the small shop in the hotel grounds by the bridge or walk the 5 mins up the road from the Hotel for the Playa Dorada shopping village, when we went it was clearly not the main tourist season as though the shops were open we were the only potential customers there.
None of the Hotels 3 pools are particularly deep (4ft maximum) and the Pool with the Swim up Bar is only 3ft deep. Being open air swimming pools and a hot country there is always the chance of the occasional fly trying to do the backstroke in the pool with not much success but its still an ideal place to cool down with a drink whilst watching the animation team try to animate the Unanimatable. That said we did enter the Frisbee throwing competition although I think my third Frisbee was so inaccurate jets were scrambled from Cuba to intercept it when it entered their airspace. The pool bar was also good to escape the brief thunderstorms during the afternoon..
The Buffet restaurant usually has a variety of different foods with the option of fresh omelettes, scrambled eggs etc being prepared for you while you watch. Book early for the a la carte restaurants (the day you arrive if possible) if only to try the Mahi Mahi at the fish restaurant. Did wonder why it was extra for lobster given that they are apparently common on neighbouring Cuba but if anything does cost more it is quite clearly stated on the menu.

Likewise with the WiiFi, the prices are clearly marked (25 hours for 25 dollars on a single item or 60 dollars for the week) , yes they are steep but its cheaper than using your mobile provider and as we were only there for a week, and on holiday we gave the internet a miss.

I've read other reviews claiming there were people having sex in the pool, underage prostitutes on the beach etc, I can honestly say we didn't see any of this, although were often too tired in the evening to go out anyway so cant really comment. Our room was fine, bed linen changed daily and only a minor niggle with the room safe (3 dollars a day, worth it) when it wouldn't activate but this was easily fixed. only once were we asked about a Timeshare and having declined we wasn't asked again.

While there we booked three of the excursions, suffice it to say the Outback tour was great, The City Tour was rushed yet still managed to be 5 mins site, 20 minute Souvenir shops at each stop and ideally should have been a day excursion and Ocean World was expensive but worth paying extra for the 'encounters' with Sharks, Dolphins etc, its not every day you kiss a Dolphin (and then get told afterwards it was Male) stroke a Shark and have a Stingray rubbing against your legs

On the whole, unlike some of the other reviews we had a great week there and may well be back!

Room Tip: Everything worked in room 5112 and it was quiet
7 Thank Brummie_Screwdriver
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Upon arrival, we were greeted with cold towels, tasty cocktails and our rooms were ready right away. They gave us our bracelets but we noticed they were incorrect as we had booked the "gold inclusions" package..so they quickly corrected this mistake. The gold inclusions gave us an extra A La Carte meal, some discounts and complimentary WIFI. The WIFI was excellent and better then we expected...you can access it all over the resort. They give it to you in 10 hour increments but you can just keep going back to the front desk to get more during your stay (they don't tell you that but our Nolitours rep Alexandra let us know on our second day..she was very helpful). If you need WIFI during your stay, we recommend getting an upgrade that has complimentary access as they will charge you $4 for 15 minutes or $60 for a week...there were other options but I forget them now...they were pretty expensive to say the least. The room we got was a bit disappointing as it didn't look like the ones in the Nolitours pictures..there was a coffee maker, boob tube TV with excellent cable channels, nice balcony but only an OK view (trees and fence where you could see the neighbouring property which looked like tour buses etc), bathroom was decent with flowers spread all around (shower only), air conditioning was perfect, ceiling fan, sketchy ironimg board and iron, mini fridge stocked daily FREE but you had to request it, beds were stiff but we slept well, brought my own feather pillow. The cleaning ladies did OK...would've liked to have the bathroom cleaned more thoroughly during the stay...looks like only the counter was wiped and they just replaced shampoo...rooms could use brighter colours instead of dull yellow bed sheets and curtains. We were in room 3211. It is loud at night in this area by the main pool because that's where their speaker system was, but only until 11pm. I would've requested a room by the spa but my other half didn't want to bother. We found the food to be a lot better than expected. The buffet outdid the A La Carte restaurants. We found a lot of variety at the buffet for each meal and it was different everyday of our trip which is impressive. We recommend the cook your own pasta at lunch and dinner, and the bacon and eggs cooked right infront of you at breakfast. The foods were always hot and covered. The chocolate cake was always our favourite dessert choice. Neither of us got sick. We also noticed that they only use purified water to serve us with. For the A La Carte restaurants, we liked the Asian the best. Lobster at the seafood place was overcooked that day, steak house wasn't bad at all.The buffet at the snack bar was a very small selection that had fried chicken (like KFC), fries, pizza, pasta, salad, fruit, rice dish, burgers and hotdogs cooked infront of you. There were also 2 bars open at a time. The one by the beach was better run by Pablo and Franklin...the guy at the swim up bar seemed to only serve people nicely who gave tips and had a bad attitude since the day we got there. The alcohol seemed watered down. The beach was nice and the water was very warm everyday. The beach sellers are pesky when you're new but NO is all it took later in the week. We did buy some jewellery and other stuff for souveniers but found its much cheaper everywhere else. They ask what country you're from and price merchandise based on your country's minimum wage...clever. We did one excursion which was the cable car. It was OK. We got back 2 hours late which annoyed us because we lost time by the pool and gave us headaches from the heat. Seems like those pesky peddlers knew every stop our bus made. They were even on top of the mountain we took the cable car up to see and were selling the exact same merchandise!! After all that shopping, the gift shop people from town came to the resort that day, so techinically we didn't even have to leave the resort.
I also went to the spa one day for a massage. I don't really recommend it, it was sortof painful and they don't really keep your "private
areas" concealed under the
blanket. Also the grounds were well kept and we didn't notice any seedy activity going on like other people saw. It was a great vacation all in all!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank tephS
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Having read up on the reviews for the Blue Bay Villas I thought I would try and give an honest account of how I think the hotel was. My boyfriend and another couple of friends stayed at the Bluebay for the first two weeks in October. During our stay it was my birthday and our friends wedding anniversary.
First impressions were good, the hotel reception area and the grounds were lovely and always kept clean. We were all greeted with a welcome drink, however we were not allowed to take our cases to our rooms. We had to wait 40 minutes before our cases arrived, and trust me it was extremely hot and all we wanted to do after a long day travelling was to have a shower and change our clothes. The room was lovely facing the quiet spa pool, cannot fault the room, people complain about having nowhere to put your clothes, but we did not have this problem in our room. The maids clean your rooms every day, change the bed sheets and provide clean towels.
We had no problem at all with the food at this hotel, there was always plenty of choices and we never had a problem getting a seat in the buffet restaurant. The staff are brilliant, always topping your drinks up and we never came across a single member of staff that was miserable. We also had no problems booking the al a carte restaurants. Our friends were given a complimentary special meal for their wedding anniversary but they don't do the same for birthdays.
The animation team were very good and we did join in the games by the pools, beach and on the main stage in the evening. I thought the entertainment was good in the evening but it does finish at 11.pm. After that you can go to the disco at the beach bar, which is on until 3.am but not every night. Now I must add that the disco is absolute RUBBISH, the dj has no idea when it comes to music. At the weekends when the locals arrive all he plays is the same half a dozen songs over and over again. Trust me it does your head in, when we asked the dj to change the music he did put some English songs on but again it was very repetitive and Michael Jackson seems to be his favourite choice. Talking of which, during the day on the beach thats all you heard, over and over again was a Michael Jackson cd, earplugs recommended. We did complain about the music but nothing was done about it.
Went in the pools for the first few days but decided not to go in them again after witnessing a couple having sex in one of the pools. Witnessed a couple of teenage prostitutes that were no older than 16 sunbathing naked on the beach. Friends whom we met at the hotel were on their honeymoon and were unfortunate enough to be next to the girls, they complained about this and the fact that the hotel allowed prostitutes into the hotel to have sex in the pools. The management stated that they would make a daily announcement to state that sex in public is not acceptable at the hotel and for people to use their hotel rooms instead. Mmmmmm! not sure that is the right way forward as prostitutes are still allowed to parade around the hotel.
The time share people are arrogant and we just totally ignored them, they got the hint and left us alone. There are a lot of people trying to sell you things on the beach, in fact its like having your own market on the beach lol. But they tend TO recognize you after a few days and leave you alone.
Overall this hotel would be brilliant if they made some minor changes. For example sack the DJ, stop the prostitutes and to bring in some strict rules regarding the time share salesmen, as when people say they are not interested in buying a timeshare these salesmen should respect that decision and stop harassing you.
We did meet some fabulous people and many thanks to them as they all made our holiday a memorable one.
P.S would recommend buying your trips from the guy at the beach, much cheaper , in fact we paid half the price of what it would cost from the rep. Paradise Island is a must, was not too impressed with the jeep safari as it included the waterfalls, and you need to be very fit to attempt to climb them all. We also went horse riding for 2 hours, this only cost us £8.50 each and we loved it. We also went to the local casino/disco with the animation team one night and enjoyed it. (by the way the music was brill unlike the hotel music)
To sum up, would I go again, if some changes were made to this hotel then yes I would go back and also recommend it to other people.

4 Thank Sharon S