“Group of 11”

BlueBay Villas Doradas Adults Only
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was our 4th trip to Dominican and second stay at BlueBay. We traveled with a group of 9 other people on this trip and I believe everyone would go again. We have always traveled with a group of people and always found ourselves comparing the other Hotels to BlueBay so we returned this year and had the best vacation ever in RD.
The one point we found that could be viewed as negative was that the A La Cartes had slid a bit in the variety of choices most notably the Seafood. There was variety to be had but at an additional cost. This had no reflection on the service and additional attention to detail by the staff at the A La Cartes. Service was excellent and professional. BlueBay is small resort and it doesn't take long before you become acquainted with many of the staff and other guests.
Check in was fast and easy. Jose did the best he could to insure that our accommodations were satisfactory. No easy task when you are dealing with bus loads of people and a full hotel.
Rooms are rather plain and storage for your cloths is somewhat limited. However, Housekeeping is top notch. Our rooms were thoroughly cleaned and disinfected every day. The maid often left cool bird creations made out of towels or flowers every day. The grounds were groomed every morning and everything was kept trimmed. The beach was raked daily and great for swimming.
The Buffet was plentiful and fresh.
Resort security can be found throughout the resort making it very safe.
The hotel Caters to all vacation preferences. There is a quiet, no smoking area around a small pool if you should choose a more tranquil setting. On the other hand, if you want to go hard, there are two other pools and daily and evening activities throughout the resort led by the Animation Crew.
The Crew, as we call them are what really make this resort stand way apart from others. My advice is to get involved we the activities as much as possible. Raul, the Crew manager must be very proud of his team. This group work extremely hard to make everyone's vacation the most enjoyable as possible. They are absolutely hilarious and will have you laughing at there loco antics or amazed by excellent dancing and performances. Commando is usually the host of the shows and has a laugh that is contagious. YaYi teaches dancing including Bachata, Merengue and she can Samba like you can't believe. Peki is absolutely hilarious and loud. Most people will learn Peki's voice and crazy antics quickly. Leo is small but mighty and leads a lot of poolside activities. George is extremely athletic and along with Commando, put on a performance during the Fire Show that was spectacular. Mayo is very friendly and does a lot of poolside activities. mayo makes a point to shake everybody's hand every day he is working. He took some of us on a bike tour of the Dorata complex. After almost driving my bike into the pool,( I may have been drinking), we drove in around the various hotels in the area and Mayo pointed out spots of interest. Last but not least, there is James Bond, (007.5). This man is absolutely Loco. His good nature and crazy antics will keep you thoroughly amused. You have to see this guy in action to truly appreciate his sense of humor. All in, the crew obviously enjoy what they are doing. Get to know them a little and you won't be disappointed.
Despite the fact that the hotel is all inclusive, please consider tipping at least here and their. these people work very hard at their jobs and certainly deserve it. Don't forget the maids, security or gardeners. They are often overlooked but work very hard also and truly appreciate acknowledgment of their efforts.

Room Tip: There is a quiet area for those that prefer quiet and more activity around the main pools for those...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gordo1Ontario
Write a ReviewReviews (5,847)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This was our firs trip to Dominican. It was an extreme last minute booking after a very stressful week! It was a short trip (only 5 days) Nov. 13th to 17th.

Let me start by saying that this resort has such a beautiful airy romantic feel to it. It is small and intimate which we liked. We arrived and were checked in immediately. Lucretia (not sure if the spelling is right) is an absolute angel who was so friendly and genuine and kind. She walked us to our room (block 7 I believe) insisting that she tote my suite case as I was tired from travelling and came in and made sure everything was in order before she left.

The room was so pretty and romantic! It was one of the newer rooms modernly decorated, all white with blue back lighting behind the bed. The bathroom as small but also nice. Our room was right across from the spa/pool which was a very nice location. Everything is close proximity so there is no long treks to get from one end of the resort to the next.

We were very impressed with the food at this resort. It was so tasty and fresh and there was always a variety. The wait staff was amazing! They made all of our meals enjoyable. A special mention to Ana. Always smiling and attentive and sweet at dinner. There were a couple of others that made our dining experiences so pleasant however as I'm writing this review months after I cannot remember their names. We were brought a specially made desert all decorated for the two of us. Very sweet! The restaurants were also very good with great service.

The downside to BlueBay is that they are constantly trying to get you to go to their presentation for "time shares" which was so annoying! This is what almost ruined our stay. We had a lot going on back home and were at breaking point when we left for this vacation. We were "tricked" into attending the presentation which really didn't sit well with me. We were made to think that we were attending a hotel info session and that we had to go. Upon arriving at the presentation centre and sitting down to speak with a rep we realized what was going on and so I said flat out that if this was for time shares we were not interested. I believe that the worker who did not inform us the true purpose of the presentation was spoken to about misleading us. Apparently they get a payout or something for everyone they bring to the presentation. I understand they are trying to make a buck but when it becomes a daily harassment to attend it makes you not want to avoid talking to the staff. They were still very friendly but after the first day it became extremely annoying! Especially as we were only there for 5 days.

The animacion team was very fun and friendly and not pushy. Comando and Mayo had people busy playing goofy games and volleyball everyday. The beach was nice and the water warm. Again vendors were always walking by trying to sell you something. Can be a bit bothersome when you are trying to relax on the beach. Otherwise the beach was nice and you could walk for quite a ways (always nice). The bartenders at the beach bar were always friendly and made great drinks.

All in all I would recommend this resort if you are looking for a quiet relaxing vacation. It is a small resort, no disco or anything like that. There was nightly entertainment but we only went 1 or 2 nights. Nothing to talk about. Not sure if I would return simply because of the the whole time share thing. Otherwise, very nice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

My Amigo's and Amiga's, staff at BlueBay Villas Doradas I thank you. Though my boyfriend and I had a not so pleasant first night experience, once we arrived from the airport, they brought us to three different rooms with people already in them... a little frustrated at that point I spoke to Hose explaining how we had come so far, and to have this as a first impression... well he gave Carlos the last room key and we got to the fourth room and it turned out to be the best room to have. We loved our room, close to the beach, across from the spa, quiet, great views, and near the lobby and buffet, Spa side recommended for sure !! in the 72's.

I want to give a special thanks to the following members of staff, Peralta Gladys, Rafael and Edward at the breakfast and lunch buffet, Luis And Cheapy Willy on the beach, Yakeiris, Franklin and Gabriel the bartenders, Angelo Polanco Polanco, the night Chef @ the Beach Bar, Loreli Bartender, James in entertainment, and Leo in Entertaintment, Mr.DJ entertainment, and all the security guards. Each one of these people made our trip special in a different way. I remember each by name because by our last day they were all friends. These people work tremendously hard, they bring joy and happiness to your vacation. I have never had such a great time. This resort is #1 because of each and everyone of those people. I will recommend this to all of my friends and family.

They all deserve a congratulations from their boss, for excellent service and amazing memories.

Beach is beautiful. The food was great, all of the special dinners were good too. Chinese was my favourite with the fried ice cream. The Buffets were so flavorful. The night beach bar had such a kind chef, the hamburgers and hot dogs were better then Canada's. The entertainment was very fun to see and get involved with. The Catamaran was the most amazing and fun thing I have ever done, shout out to the Freestyle Crew - thanks for a great day.

Hope this helps. Bring lots of money for Cheappyyy Willlyyy.
and Number 32, Kelvin Klein does great Henna

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim8991
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I ventured to Blue Bay in Jan 2014 by myself. My stay was set up through a time share. When I arrived at the resort I was introduced to Judith. She was a wonderful help to me from the beginning through my entire stay. She would check in on me to make sure I was having a good time.
The room was nice, a comfortable bed, always clean an neat. The resort as a whole was well maintained, grounds, dining area, bars etc.
The food was very good. A variety at every meal. The wait staff was incredibly attentive and pleasant. Always a smile on their face.
Santo at the swim up bar and evening bar, Gabriel at the beach bar at night they were the best bartenders! Great drinks!
Honestly, I was a little worried going on vacation alone. Truthfully I was never alone. I met so many nice people from all over the world.
Then there is the Animacion team... What a wonderful group of people! I can not rave enough about Peki, Leo, Ydyi, Mayo, George, Commando and James Bond. I may be sitting by the pool or eating a meal by myself, but not for long. They would take the time to stop by to see how my day was going or to have a meal with me. They work hard to make sure all the guests are enjoying their vacation. The crazy afternoon games were entertaining. The evening shows were terrific. Wow.. the Water/Fire show. If you get a chance to go to Pure..GO!

Whether you are a single or a couple you will definitely have a FABULOUS vacation. I’m making plans to go back in 2015!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank TLW623
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was our third trip to BlueBay villas and it was just as excellent as the first. Our room was great, all the food was excellent, plenty of variety and we enjoyed each of the Chinese, seafood and steak. The entire staff in all department were absolutely excellent. They were very polite and always trying to help you and very hard working.the resort is kept very clean and we cant wait to go back next year. We met a lot of new friends and found this place fabulous for us

Cheryl and Don
Burlington, ont

Room Tip: we stayed in 3011 which was very quiet
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My first visit to the Dominican. I was very disappointed with my accommodations. The room had only limited space for clothing. We were there for two weeks and basically lived out of the suitcase. There were two beds pushed together and one was so hard, my hips were sore in the morning. Out of 14 days, I had maybe 6 days of hot showers. After bringing this to their attention it still took getting angry before it was looked after. The toilet leaked, the sink faucet could be pulled right off and no place to sit if you choose to. Not enough towels, hand and face cloths provided, you had to ask everyday for them. Our evening cleaning lady Benito, was always good at making sure we had things. You had to walk to get a drink or ice from the pool we were at. We asked to have ice delivered four days in a row and never got it. The other big pools had scum floating on them, as well as cigarette butts, cups,and band aides. The pool furniture had to be inspected before you sat in any, as a lot of it was broken. The large pool deck was filthy dirty.
On a positive note, the food at the buffet was excellent and most of what was at the restaurants was okay. The staff was amazing. Very helpful, friendly and always happy to see you.

Room Tip: Rooms around the smaller pool area are quieter. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting, b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tmorley94
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and i just got back from bluebay and want to go back we loved it food was great and we have to mention Peki, James Bond, Leo, George, Commando, Mayo, Yayi, Aris, the wait staff of Rafael, Oscar ,Gabriel, they made the trip great for us. We joined in the games and loved meeting new people a nice small resort so you get to know everyone. Only complaint is people saving seats and not showing up for hours. The buffet was great always something different. The beach is well maintained and we will see you next year. Thanks again to all the entertainment staff for showing us a great time and my wife loved when George did the pool arobics.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple