“Pluses and Minuses” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Sudbury, Canada
“Pluses and Minuses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Blue Bay is a beautiful quaint resort most definitely catering to older people. Depending on ones expectations this place could really make or break your vacation. It is well laid out and accessible so commuting from beach to pool to restaurant were convenient. We had a room in block 5 which was renovated, however had no balcony. Our mini bar was restocked daily as well as bathroom products and towels. That being said if I needed anything I left a note for the maid along with a gift daily therefore never having to worry. The food was plentiful and as some stated repetitive at some times. I am vegetarian and never felt worried about what to eat, however my husband preferred the meat in the a la carts. The beach is decent and cleaned daily. The vendors are quite respectful and just doing their jobs. Why not enjoy a massage or a pedicure you are on vacation..... The entertainment crew are amazing at their jobs and hard working at keeping guests involved. Every night is a different show and they have some shows outsourced. We had a great time with everyone. Peki was high energy, Leo is just a doll and I especially enjoyed attending Yayi stretching classes everyday!!!! The beach is a beautiful walk daily before the sun comes up at 730 ish so being your runners. The night life her is a little unfortunate. There is a casino and a couple dance clubs nearby and luckily we have a vehicle here so can visit friends and family we have here but I'm not sure what tourists do after 1030 pm. Now...... Circlezone...... We were borderline harassed daily. While all of these folks were very nice people and made us feel welcome it was with cause. We finally agreed to attend the meeting after 8 days of being approached and having letters placed in our room. We made the appt for 2 days later so we had 2 days of freedom from being approached. We graciously declined as we would not benefit from this program. While some ppl may.... No means no and it got to the point that we avoided reception and detoured so we could avoid the incessant requests.
I would return to Bluebay if the price was right. We stay here only to eat and sleep as we are here to visit family. There is a lot to do In Puerto plata so if you are feeling bored take a tour.

Side note, I had read a couple reviews about Westjet mis representing themselves. We also had humanitarian bags that did arrive, however half empty. I'm not sure how something like this could happen at arrival to DR as we watched the baggage handlers getting pat downs to ensure they didn't have anything on their person.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank AllieSuzE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kent, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed in blue bay last year for my honeymoon. I loved every minute of it and my husband and I are planning another trip there soon. The main reason for our return is the entertainments guy James Bond 007. He was the funniest guy I have ever seen on a holiday complex and he certainly made our stay there great. Aswell as the other members of the crew, nothing was too much trouble. James and the others made sure we always had something to do. Everyday he would come around the pool and spend time with us and the other guest. I have never met anyone so happy and jolly and he had the whole pool area in hysterics with his banter. I would keep hold of this one blue bay..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

I travelled to Blue Bay once again i was there in Feb 2013 and again in Dec 2013. Upon entering the reception was great, our room was ready and was exactly as expected. We were very pleased with our room. The food was amazing to say the least. Always a great variety as well as an never ending buffet. The pool bar was fabulous as well the bartender was always willing to make us happy..

The first night i attended the entertainment show,, and i must say that the show was the best i had ever seen in Dominican. George is one of the main entertainers and i found him to be very attentive to all of us that were sitting there, always making sure we were happy and enjoying ourself. All of the entertainer were great hoever i must admit that i really enjoyed watching George in action .. he really loves his job and you can tell. James Bond was fun to be around too. I plan on going again next year and i hope to see George still dancing by the pool side!!

See you all soon!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We were schedule for a week ab Blue Bay Villas and arrived to no rooms. There were 8 of us with 4 rooms which had been scheduled for several months. Not only were there no rooms but they took two hours messing around before telling us that they were bumping us to a nearby hotel. We were told to come back the next day at 130 and they would have our rooms. When we got there the next day the rooms were not ready or available and we were told to have lunch, and come back an hour or so later. Long story short--the rooms were never ready -not to be had. When we said we were tired of waiting they just ignored us and said just a minute. About an hour later, we asked for the shuttle to take us back to the other resort and were told we couldn't stay there and the manager would not give the driver the keys to take us back. We finally left and walked back to the hotel that they had bumped us to. That hotel was wonderful. We stayed there the whole time and never heard back from Blue Bay again. Lastly while we were waiting, there were two other folks who were complaining that they didn't get rooms and one who did said the shower didn't work and the ac didn't work and they wouldn't put their dog in their room. complete thumbs down for Blue Bay. I've never had that bad a service anywhere in the world. Not only was it bad but they seemed not to care at all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank islandgirl666
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

My first thought when I seen the lobby was wow, this is small compared to all the other resorts I have been but by no means any less nice. If you like big resorts then this is not the place for you.

Front desk
I have read many reviews about people complaining about the front desk and how they are all so rude, we NEVER had this problem they were all wonderful to us even when we had an a/c issue he called on his walkie talkie right away and the repair guy was going right away to our room and did. Everyday we walked by and they always had a smile and a hola for us, they were not in the least rude. I believe alot of the time is people arrive at 12:00 and expect their room to be ready, read the signs posted there and the small print of your reservation, check-in time is ALWAYS 3:00 pm. As far as the time share people that I hear mentioned we NEVER had that problem either.

Room:
Our room turned out to be one of the refurbished ones, it was very comfy, I loved the walk in closet although I did fall out of it when we were in the room for like 5 minutes he he he watch the little step.... I did however miss having a tub and the shower is quite small but everything worked and that is what is important although we did have a problem with the a/c but got that figured out and all was good.

Beach:
What can I say it was beautiful, NOT one rock in the water. Alot of people complain about the sellers on the beach but they in no way bothered us, just say No thanks and off they go, they are very polite at least they were to us but we were also very polite with them and this is very important. Not once did any of them bother us when we were laying down.

Entertainment:
I cannot comment on this as I could not stay awake sitting there waiting for it, I truly believe 9:30 is too late, it should start at 9:00 but it's not a big thing for me.

Buffet:
Now this is where I have to be negative, the buffet is very small, there are not many choices and pretty much the same thing every day. I am a very picky eater so I ended up eating the same thing over and over although what I did eat was good but unfortunatly most of the food was either lukewarm or cold. The buffet at the beach is incredibly small but the fried chicken was very good, I am used to very big buffets so I have alot to choose from.

Asian restaurant
My hubby and I totally enjoyed this restaurant, we went twice for dinner, it was great both times and the service is awesome

Steak house
My hubby liked it but I must say that I was not impressed, the steak was tough and there should be a choice of veggies, the dominican ones are just not edible as far as I am concerned.

Now the big question is would I return, unfortunatly no I would not mostly because of the food and also I am used to bigger (not huge) resorts where you can take walks in the evening, this resort is just too small for that. But we did indeed have a wonderful vacation.

Thanks all

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Louise H
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Myself and my best friend travelled to bluebay villas with Thomson from the UK for 14 nights all inclusive. We had what seemed like "too cheap" a deal (£1037pp) for it to be THAT good...but it was! From start to finish we couldn't fault the hotel, staff, food, rooms, etc. I found checking in to be a pain free experience and we were given a room in Block 7 which was a large double room with a queen size bed, bathroom with shower and large balcony. Room was cleaned and towels replaced every day around 3-4pm. We found it easy to change beach towels every morning with no hassle. The room was clean, well equipped with cable tv, and a minibar which, once the free beers had been drunk, wasn't replenished.

The staff make this hotel. Everyone upon everyone is welcoming, friendly, and hospitable. The animation team work tirelessly to entertain guests, however do not overstep the mark so you feel 'forced' to join in! The servers and catering staff in the buffet restaurant are great, they remember you and work hard to ensure you have a pleasant stay.

Blocks 5,6,7,8 (to my knowledge) have been recently refurbished and are a little further from the noise around the pool/evening entertainment areas, so I highly recommend you request one of these rooms.

The beach is beautiful, you have free use of kayaks and small sail boats for up to 30mins each day. We didn't have any issue getting a sun lounger however we did notice people are up as early as 6am reserving them!!

Our ONLY criticism was that the sun loungers around the pool are a little old and some are therefore a bit uncomfortable. But this shouldn't stop anyone picking this hotel, more a message to management!

Fantastic hotel, food is great, staff are excellent, and what a beautiful location! Don't hesitate, book Bluebay!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emma M
Portsmouth, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

This is the second trip we have made to this hotel. Both times were amazing. The animation team works hard day and night to ensure each guest has fun and fees like a part of the family. Mayo went above and beyond in making us feel welcome and the rest of the team as well. Every night there is a different show which is sure to please. The food is amazing at the buffets and restaurants. We will definitely return year after year!

• Stayed January 2014